Tabla Mediterranean Bistro
200 NE 28th Avenue
Portland, OR 97232Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Tabla Mediterranean Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tmbistro.com/
- Phone: 5032383777
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Anthony Cafiero
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off-site catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant private dining room seats up to 14 people. Half dining room seats up to 20. Full restaurant seats up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Garofola 5032383777
A word from Tabla Mediterranean Bistro
Where locals come for exciting food, excellent service and a wine list focused on small, artisanal producers. Extraordinary house made pastas are at the focal point of our popular $28, 3-course menu that is centered around local and sustainable ingredients based on the culinary traditions of Spain, Italy, and France.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Tabla Mediterranean Bistro - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Tabla Mediterranean Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (22)romantic (10)special occasion (10)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- 3-course menu was greatDynaMoDined on 9/11/2014We ordered the 3-course menu and it was great. It was so nice to have a pasta that is a "primi" (first course) portion, so you can enjoy a lovely pasta and a main plate. I had the Heirloom tomato salad with basil pesto and shavings of ricotta salata -it was perfect (5 stars). For pasta I had the Quattro Formaggi Ravioli with pesto and cherry tomatoes and again it was perfect. My main dishmwas salmon and it was very good, but slightly more cooked than I like it. The sevice was excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Most enjoyableWizzleDined on 9/10/2014Pretty quiet the night we went, but the whole staff, from host to the staff in the open kitchen, were friendly and welcoming. We opted for the 3 course menu, which is a bangin' deal if you come hungry. Courses were times well, and service was warm without being obtrusive. Would definitely recommend. Thanks for making our anniversary dinner special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value, food, ambiancecarmenDined on 9/5/2014we loved the service, quality, amount and presentation of food. small but big enough menu with select items, enough that you do not find everywhere else, portions were just right, not McDonald's size but I did not need a magnifying glass to find it, yet it was very elegantly presented, textured and very tasty, restaurant feel is warm, not noisy and service is fabulous and prices are very reasonable --- all and all a fabulous experience and great find.Special Features:
- Sad for my date....SauceDined on 8/8/2014I had a very tasty bowl of pasta with sausage for 17 dollars. Good, but not really a 17 dollar bowl of pasta with sausage. It was more like an $11 bowl of pasta. My date got "giant ravioli" for 18. The name of the dish implies a large filling meal. The ravioli tasted great, but for the price of a decent steak, you could at least expect to get enough ravioli to fill you up. Neither of our entrees came with any bread or side. The sides were all offered seperately at similarly inflated prices. After about $55 for these two unfulfilling entrees and a small carafe of house red ($15), we left HUNGRY. No, it is not located in the Pearl. This place is about money. Too bad, because it's quite tasty and and has some novel offerings.
- nancyDined on 7/31/2014We sat at the chef's bar, as we often do. We love to sit there, as it is fun to watch the chef's prepare our dinner and dishes for others. It also allows us to chat with them a little bit if they are not too busy. As always, our food was amazing! We ordered the crostini appetizer which comes with 4 different toppings, all yummy. We each had salads that we shared and pastas that we shared. Of course we ordered the tabla ravioli as it is to die for, and we always order it. 2 giant ravioli with an egg inside, poppy seeds and parmesan on the outside. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemcaraarDined on 7/26/2014We love the food here, great pasta, appetizers, desserts and ambience. I have had large group dinners in the back room, and it was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Ladies NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Wonderful eating experience! My friend and I were catching up after not seeing each other for a while, and they were so gracious to stay open late for us. The food and wine recommendations were divine, perfect for sharing. The server was attentive enough to notice when we needed a slight change to one of our courses and did so willingly without reservation. Diners are treated in such a special way, you won't regret eating here!Special Features:
- Uneventful and MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Tabla used to be a favorite restaurant of mine because of its great food selection and dinner options. In past experiences they had a robust menu that featured a 3 course dinner for a reasonable price but they have since gone to a standard dining menu. The food was nothing special--mediocre at best and complimented by a semi-somber atmosphere. Our waitress was upbeat, but she was out shined by the other wait staff who were practically afraid to smile or make eye contact. Tabla... please find the courage to do something special and then execute it well.
- Wonderful bistro, local foodzimzimDined on 6/19/2014Well prepared, delicious food, especially good pasta and salads. Very unpretentious but attentive service. Atmosphere is informal and bistro like. Wine list is largely modestly priced, most either Italian or local west coast. Prices are also quite modest given quality of the preparation and ingredients. I would recommend this highly to all but the highest level foodie peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOperaFanaticVIPDined on 5/25/2014This dinner was a birthday celebration and we were a group of five good friends who had not been together for months. The food was great, as was the wine. And, the service was beyond wonderful. They were attentive and helpful. Everything arrived quickly and exactly as we ordered. I'm sure it was obvious we had a lot of catching up to do. After dinner and dessert, we were engrossed in conversation and did not notice there were people waiting. When I did ( after about 20 minutes), we left quickly so others could be seated. When I thanked the staff and apologized on the way out, they were really gracious about it. We will be back soon and often!Special Features:
- Good dinner spotkmgfDined on 5/19/2014We enjoyed sharing pasta and salmon. The wines are good. loved seeing the aquaponics micro greens too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 435 reviews are from the Tabla Mediterranean Bistro reviews archive.
- REAL TASTE FOODBillVIPDined on 5/17/2014Wonderful salads, fresh pasta with a twist, extensive wine list. Had the lasagna special and it was very light and taste. Service was very professional, nice relaxed atmosphere and nice place for a Saturday night date!Special Features:
- Great Appetizers and PastaspdxfoodieDined on 5/17/2014Over multiple visits over many years, Tabla has transformed its menu towards one of fresh pasta, appetizers and salads but through the changes, the food has remained very good. But, I do miss the duck confit off the menu. The wine list is one that has good Italian depth at very affordable prices. I will continue to go back.Special Features:
- Loyal CustomerRoussaneloverDined on 5/14/2014I live in the neighborhood and have been a Tabla fan since it opened. Have spent many late afternoons-early evening Happy Hours at the kitchen bar watching food prep. Yes, it has evolved, and the changes have never altered the basic greatness of the restaurant, which is a result of meeting and exceeding the highest standards of basic food preparation and service. The most recent change, of which the prix fixe was a casualty, to me was the most drastic. I hope it comes back. In the meantime, any of the pasta dishes are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Online menu out of date!!Pdx25Dined on 5/3/2014Someone recomended me this place to have dinner with my boyfriend for his birthday and I ended sooo disappointed! You guys don't do the three course anymore and the menu it's totally out of date so when I came there I didn't know what to order!! My order ended being more expensive that I thought and it didn't really worth it!! The only thing I liked was my drink !Special Features:
- Now with a few gluten options!Velma716Dined on 4/20/2014I love Tabla. It is a favorite go-to restaurant with consistently good service. Food always excellent. Great wine list with a wide selection of well-priced options. This last visit, I was pleased to see a couple gluten-free pasta selections. I ordered the fettuccini - what a rare treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crostini starters were uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014Crostini starters were unique and each had a wonderful flavor. The Beet Salad was crisp and refreshing. Pork Braciole was superb. Tasty and tender. Panna cotta with rhubarb was sweet with that little bit of rhubarb tartness. The only problem we had was the noise level was strong and we had some trouble hearing each other across the table; there were 4 of us…and the restaurant was not filled at the time. Would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh pasta!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014My husband and I met up with two friends at Tabla Mediterranean Bistro. It was a fabulous dinner. The cauliflower flan was amazing as an appetizer...and, well....every single thing we tried was terrific. The Tabla Ravioli with egg was a treat, and the halibut entree I ordered was cooked to perfection. The special of the day was lasagna (veggie) and that was excellent too - fresh pasta makes all the difference! We didn't make it as far as dessert. Service was attentive, but not overly so. The space is open, with high ceilings - once the tables were full it was pretty loud. All in all, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dinner!judybeautyDined on 4/4/2014We ate at Tabla Mediterranian Bistro and had their three course dinner, which is a steal, especially given the outstanding quality of their food. Ravioli with egg yolk in the center and finely shaved Parmesan was sublime. Also, have their gelato or sorbet to (salted caramel and strawberry the night we ate there). Best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Loved this place. Interesting menu and the food was excellent. Would definitely try again if we are ever return to Portland.Special Features:
- Tabla - SolidanonVIPDined on 3/29/2014Took my date to Tabla for the end of dining month. The food was very good. I started with the cauliflower sformato with the light cream sauce and arugula. Normally, I dislike arugula but it cut the richness of the other parts of the dish. Date had the crespelle and the were also good. I had the crab tortellini. It was good but by far the dish I liked the least. It was rather dry and the bread crumbs did not help that. Date had the Tabla ravioli with the egg and chard inside. Date had the pork braciole which she loved. I had the duck confit. My quibble with the dish is there was a bare dribble of sauce on it. There needed to be more to cut the richness of the duck I would go back again.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!LindaHDined on 3/27/2014There were 6 of us and we all had amazing food, no one was unhappy with their food choice. Our waitress was so good and attentive (also our bartender) The service was terrific and our wter glasses never went empty...neither did our wine glasses! It is a small place and tends to be noisy, but we are a noisy group, so it was fine. All the pasta is homemade and delicious!Special Features:
- Always good. Whenever we areOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/26/2014Always good. Whenever we are in Portland, we make it a point to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!JohnVIPDined on 3/26/2014Open now for lunch! Get in and support lunch (wonderful lunch) at this great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/25/2014Excellent Italian food. When for happy our - very good - then came back for dinner - OutstandingSpecial Features:
- noisy neighborhood bar/restaurantthanks8for8all8the8fishDined on 3/24/2014I had the idea that this would be a nice quiet place for dinner. We drove from Hillsboro, having found Tabla on the Portland Dining Month list. Service was non-existent much of the time. The food was interesting and good, worthy of a nicer restaurant rather than the existing bar atmosphere with some dining tables. My husband had the 3-course menu and chose a salad, the ravioli and the duck confit. All were very good. I chose the cauliflower appetizer and it was excellent although quite small. In short, good food but a noisy bar atmosphere and poor service. I would not travel out of my way to go here again.
- Wow- REALLY good gluten free pasta!chefmaxDined on 3/18/2014Made in house, this is by far the best gluten free pasta I have ever tasted. Available as a substitute in three of the pasta dishes, it tastes like the finest wheat pasta. Available to purchase as fresh pasta to take home as well. Service exceptionally friendly and professional as well. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Tabla is always a favorite,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2014Tabla is always a favorite, their pasta is fresh and creative . We were running late and could not make our reservation time, they were able to accommodate us. Looking forward to them being open now for lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent flavors!DiningMonthGuestDined on 3/16/2014Another successful meal on our list of Portland Dining Month restaurants! Kind and efficient staff, lovely dining room and delicious food that was perfect for sharing! Our favorite was the tajarine with truffle butter and parmigiano reggiano - decadent and delicate at the same time. We tried nine dishes total and each one was a hit. Recommended!Special Features:
- Getting a table at TablaPDXWeekendAwayDined on 3/15/2014Visited Tabla this past weekend as a part of an anniversary weekend away from the kids. We arrived at the restaurant 5 minutes before our reservation and were told that a table would be ready in a few minutes. We were invited to sit at the bar. We were offered a seat at a communal table as well, but declined. We were not seated for 25 minutes after our reservation despite there having been a table open right when we arrived. The same table remained open for the remainder of the night. The food was good. The pasta, in particular was much enjoyed. The duck and the briciole were also quite delicious. The food is worth the visit, the ambiance is pleasant if not bustling but our visit was scarred from the very beginning unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for secondsPortlandfoodieDined on 3/15/2014The food was delicious and they had gluten free options. I very much enjoyed the home made gluten free pasta that they had. The beet salad that I had for my starter was amazing. The group I was with also recommended the duck and ravioli with an egg in it. The servers were very pleasant and knowledgable about the menu. We wanted to try dessert and plan to make a trip back just for that since we were too full from our 3 course dining month meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love Tabla!SarahDined on 3/14/2014The food is always delicious and beautifully presented. And, the service is attentive and warm. I've gotten to know the staff in my many visits, and they are always welcoming and interested in providing you with an excellent dining experience. This place is a go-to when I have guests from out of town, or, if I feel like treating myself to a solo-dinner night. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent placeExcellentDined on 3/12/2014Tabla shines! While the menu is short compared to some other places (only 4 entrees) the food is wonderful. We had a 3 course meal with an appetizer or salad choice, a pasta (1/2 portion) and an entree. Everything the three of us had was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, as always. NewPortlandregularsDined on 3/12/2014Great food, as always. New décor leaves something to be desired. The new chairs are not in the least bit comfortable and lean the diner too far back for eating. Chairs are too narrow for any but the slimmest diner. (Perhaps you are encouraging a quick turnover in tables by making diners not want to linger at the table.) Whatever the reason for the new chairs, we'll be requesting a table on the banquette in the future.)Special Features:
- dining month gem2valleyresidentsDined on 3/10/2014We loved this small bistro. The service was excellent. We were not rushed, which is something we hate when going out for dinner. The food was superb, we were having the prix fixe three course dinner. A good selection of options and the portions were just right. We both had different choices and every dish was good. We will go back to try other selections. Try the sformato it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tabla never disappointsFrib4playDined on 3/10/2014Another delightful meal at Tabla. Everything about the experience was a treat.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour, but veryPoinzettaDined on 3/9/2014Great Happy Hour, but very small portions for dinner.Special Features:
- Truth in AdvertisingBbaaVIPDined on 3/9/2014Tabla used to be one of my go to restaurants. We decided to go there for Portland Dinning Month. @ $29. We chose Tabla because they had seafood options and we do not eat land animals. However, every seafood option, and a mozzarella option, had an add on price on the menu when we got there that had not been mentioned in there add for the $29 dinner event. Since we don't eat land animals, we ordered the previously advertised seafood options for $29 for which we were charged $37. So I have to ask myself why were these options listed on their $29 dinner menu? I will not be returning!
- Great foodMissBDined on 3/5/2014Food at the Tabla Mediterranean Bistro was excellent. Their pasta was spectacular, particularly the raviolli with the egg inside. Delicious! They also have a private room in back, perfect for small private parties. I'd go back, I guess that's the best review I can give.Special Features:
- Portland Dining Month GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2014Typically a little out of my price range, Tabla was exactly the perfect experience to have during Portland Dining Month! (Or if you just have a few extra dollars on hand to spend on delicious food). The service was really phenomenal, and our waiter went above and beyond to make sure we had a wonderful dinner. As for the food, we ordered the Tajarin and the Tabla ravioli, and they were both unbelievably good.Special Features: