325 West Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tabernatapas.com/
- Phone: 9197971457
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Taberna Tapas
Spanish Tapas, serving lunch & dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Taberna Tapas - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Taberna Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (23)romantic (22)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014So perfect for veg and non veg groups. Food was outstanding, sangria was epic and service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaysVIPDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have recently enjoyed Spanish flavors, from cheeses to tapas to wine, of course! Our first trip to Taberna to get our "fix" was very worthwhile. The tasty food was served quickly and timely, so that we never felt rushed between tapas. The server was knowledgeable about the plates, and we opted for some of his recommendations. The ambience was easygoing and friendly. We look forward to a return trip to sample additional tapas treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost in the shuffleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We had a good experience being seated quickly with a window seat. However, the waiter seemed overwhelmed by tables. The bartender and host helped clear tables and refill drink orders. The waiter forgot half our orders and had to be reminded about drink orders. The food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten-Free Pre-Show DinnerkwixDined on 9/5/2014Food of high quality (with price to match). Wood-paneled Old World vibe. Good wine list & bar. Great slow-cooked short ribs. Good butternut squash with nuts, herbs & relishes. Service o.k., except really lousy water service: hard to enjoy food with no water. We will return. Tapas is perfect for a pre-show meal, since each small plate comes out when it is ready, some in just a few minutes. I ate here instead of the other tapas place nearby specifically because Taberna is responsible enough to mark on their menus what foods contain gluten (although our chatty self-focused waitress didn't really seem trained to know GF) -- which keeps those of us with celiac disease from having to spend 5 minutes explaining & questioning -- yay!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014disappointed. expensive and mediocre food. I thought it was going to be a good cheaper alternative to Matheus, but not even close.
- Sharing is funTravel4foodVIPDined on 8/30/2014The small plates are fun to share. The bacon-wrapped dates are a great way to start. Pork shoulder was substantial and tasty. The Valencia paella had good flavor. One serving was shared by the table. Heirloom tomatoe salad was simply and fresh. The manchego was an unexpected bonus. Server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsMussadiqDined on 8/29/2014Was the highlight of of our evening. We enjoyed the food and service and were pleseNtly surprised at how fast the service was on a Friday evening.Special Features:
- A hidden gem!sunnyDined on 8/28/2014You may have heard more about another nearby Tapas restaurant, but after several visits at both places we give this our #1 rating. The food is wonderful: well prepared, flavorful, and lots of variety. Service is great: attentive but not bothersome. And it is not noisy and overcrowded. We love it, and recommend it heartily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good choice for dinnerLovelearningNCVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had a VP in town from Chicago and wanted to try something different. I felt like it was risky since I hadn't tried it out but this was a great choice. The brussel sprouts were a server recommendation. It was a winner. Croquettas were so good we had to order the 2nd one later. Paella was worth the wait. Salmon had a delicious salsa. There wasn't anything we didn't like and the four of us had at least 8-10 tapas. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Worth the trip!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014We drive to Durham to attend DPAC events and this restaurant has become our favorite. Fabulous service every time we have gone, excellent food- staff incredibly knowledgable about what they serve- both food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta get the Brussels sprouts!OysterloverDined on 8/23/2014Dinner was delicious and the service was outstanding. Highly recommend the roasted Brussels sprouts and crispy pork shoulder!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014Perfect for our out-of-town guests. Dan helped us out with making our moving target reservations work with company driving in from Richmond. Thanks, Dan! Food was terrific, as usual.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceDeigerDined on 8/18/2014I went there with a friend and had a reservation confirmed at 7PM. Get there and they don't have a table for us so we sat at the bar and waited for 30 minutes and then finally got a table. We placed our first order of tapas which came out pretty quick and the food was great. We then placed our second order of tapas and had to wait 45 minutes for it to come out. The whole experience took three hours and was not worth the wait, if the service was better I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good food, nice spaceDrFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Good food, great list to choose from, great wines. Waiters were great--nice recommendations for food and beverages!Special Features:
- Wonderful Food!AnthonyDined on 8/9/2014Wide range of tapas and the menu does change and new dishes appear. Can't go wrong with any tapas selection.Special Features:
- Great way to try different tastesDurhamFoodieDined on 8/2/2014The more the people, the more choices you can try. Just remember to save room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasGrilliDined on 7/20/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at taberna Tapas on Sunday. My husband and sons had been there previously and it has bevome one of their favorite places. The croquetas amd paella were particular standouts. Excellent wine choises and attentive, knowledgeable service. We will returnSpecial Features:
- Always have great food hereNOLAvisitorVIPDined on 7/20/2014Located just down the street from the more publicly acclaimed tapas place Mateo, Taberna is a much better choice if youw ant a nice dinner rather than a crowd scene. The management and wait staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and our food and wine delicious. We will be back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taberna TapasFoodieGirlDined on 7/19/2014Wonderful food, friendly atmosphere. We needed to be on time for nearby concert and staff was most accommodating of our schedule. Bacon wrapped stuffed dates were marvelous. Evening special of kale and oyster mushrooms was wondrous. Also loved the grilled shrimp with saffron. Salads were over the top fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal before the showeatinitDined on 7/19/2014We had a group of 3 going to DPAC and the location was great- 5 min walk. Food was very good and fresh. We enjoyed the red wine sangria with the meal. Dishes came out quickly and were all very good. Waiter was helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Just okWckdpssaDined on 7/13/2014Food was mediocre, we ordered two of the daily specials (salmon and pork shoulder) Both were extremely overcooked and dry. The cheese plate was decent but not worth $16. I wouldn't rush back.
- Downtown gemDurhammomof2VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great for tapas very in tune to accommodating allergies. Arugula salad is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceDo10hedronDined on 6/29/2014We picked Taberna Tapas on a whim for a date night and couldn't be happier with the results. We shared multiple delicious dishes and enjoyed an excellent wine selection suggested by our wait staff. Service was prompt and attentive without hovering. I would definitely recommend. Be sure to try the bacon wrapped dates - delicious!Special Features:
- Great tapasfloridaguyDined on 6/27/2014Was in Durham for one night, picking our daughter up at Duke. Found this gem through Open Table. Waiter was great, explaining the menu and specials. Sampled several dishes and especially loved the braised short ribs, crispy pork shoulder and the bacon wrapped dates. Too bad this restaurant is 450 miles from our home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodBubsDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I love tapas and Taberna was great. The bacon wrapped dates are a must get. The chicken and bacon croquettes are great as well. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Charming find in DurhamOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful time with family at this quaint little place in Durham. We would definitely recommend to anyone appreciative of light tasty food served with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NCMusicloversDined on 6/12/2014In downtown Durham, convenient to DPAC and other downtown attractions, Taberna Tapas is a small, comfortable restaurant with an excellent array of reasonably priced Spanish wines by the glass ($7 and up) and by the bottle (starting at $28) and a very nice array of tapas, pintxos and even an array of paellas, one of which would make a decent entree for two or easily round out a meal that started with tapas. The desserts are good, though not as distintive. Service is thoughtful, savvy and attentive without being fussy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Turn onFoodCriticDined on 6/8/2014Delicious food, knowledgeable waiter (unfortunately not Spanish or Spanish-speaking as I had hoped), loads of vegetarian options which are usually lacking in Spanish cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella and moreLorettoDined on 6/5/2014Delicious small plates. Wonderful manchego cheese in two different presentations-- sliced with heirlooom tomatoes or deep fried with relish--don't miss this. Traditional paella, braised short ribs that melt in your mouth and serrano wrapped dates were also favorites. I highly recommend this restaurant for tasty dishes and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Taberna Tapas ExperienceKyFriedVIPDined on 5/30/2014Having seen several reviews of this restaurant, especially praising its food, I was excited for my taste buds, and the only "issue" was the ambiance of the restaurant itself (my wife is the real critic on this topic!). Turns out the restaurant ambiance, to me, was far superior than the deliciousness of the food. The bacon - wrapped dates were set up "to die for"; they were OK to good. The shrimp did not seem really fresh; they had that typical "freezer" burn, "fishy" taste. The paella (the tapas one) was again just OK. That particular dish I was so looking forward to and was disappointed. I don't know what to say; was the REAL chef off that night??? I doubt we'll return any time soon. The service and ambiance did make it enjoyable.Special Features:
- great place!durhamlocalVIPDined on 5/28/2014We love Taberna--it's much more relaxed and comfortable than the competition down the street, and the food--though not groundbreaking or astounding--is delicious and varied. Excellent service, excellent wine, comfortable seats (unlike the other place!) and a great atmosphere. Our (minor) complaints are that we wish they had more specials, we think some of the dishes are a little too potato-heavy and the flatbreads are a bit dry. Otherwise top notch. We also appreciate all the vegetarian entrees--we brought a vegetarian friend there recently and had more than enough dishes to choose from. Taberna is a hidden gem.
- Visited by TrainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We live near the train station in Cary, so we took the family on the 20 minute ride to Durham for fun and food. The restaurant was accommodating with our reservation despite our train arriving 20 minutes late. Great seat by the window, really cool ambiance that took advantage of their old brick wall inside to give a modern feel to a neat, old building. The server knew the menu well, and the staff were all friendly. We enjoy ordering a few things at a time until we're full, so this kind of restaurant was fun. The food was excellent. There's nothing on their menu you will get at a chain restaurant. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- PerfectKittyCunninghamDined on 5/21/2014Taberna is halfway between the Carolina Theater and DPAC. You can park and walk to dinner and the theater of your choice. When you come in the evening, they check to see if they need to help you get out in time for a show. Service is always helpful, friendly and knowledgable. Food is delicious with MANY vegetarian options clearly marked. The wine list is interesting, the bar is well stocked and they have a small but varied collection of craft beers on tap. Not designed for the entertainment of children.Special Features:
- The following 97 reviews are from the Taberna Tapas reviews archive.
- AnthonyDined on 5/17/2014Great! night out and fantastic food and great service. A touch of Spain in Durham!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vibrant and tasty tapassrussDined on 5/14/2014We ordered a nice mix of grilled seafood tapas, a kale dish and some green beans with anchovies. All were fresh and flavorful. We also ordered Paella which was lovely - the perfect mix of warm, comforting and savory ingredients. the restaurant has a cozy, intimate atmosphere, quiet enough for easy conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started out iffy but they recoveredDJDinerVIPDined on 5/10/2014We arrived 5 minutes before our reservation and where told it could be 30 minutes or so before a table would be ready. This was in the view of 3 empty tables. We were told we would have to sit at the bar even after asking why we could not sit at one of the empty tables. About 10 minutes later they moved us to one of these open tables, explaining that someone with a reservation of an hour ago had not shown up so we could have their table. So I guess if you are on time you are punished at this restaurant and if you are late they will hold your table for ONE HOUR! The food arrived quickly and was tasty. We ordered a selection of tapas and they were very good about spacing them out so we were neither overwhelmed or waiting between dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, solid tapas placecbkemDined on 5/10/2014We recently had a late lunch at this spot. The white sangria was delicious, as were many of the tapas dishes we ordered. Others though, were just so-so. Additionally, they were out of flatbreads that day, and the flatbreads make up about 1/3 of their menu. Overall, we had a nice lunch and left feeling satisfied.Special Features:
- so tasty!!tapasfor2Dined on 5/9/2014Restaurant was very busy, however we were seated within 2 minutes with our reservation. I appreciated the hustle of the staff all night. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. The waiter offered great menu suggestions and everything we ordered was amazing. The mussels, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, shrimp flat bread, i can't remember the others. I will definitely be going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas BarRandyDined on 5/9/2014The food was excellent and the service was great. We had a 2 hour dinner and the tapas kept coming at the right pace. Paella was great as were the various tapas. Bacon wrapped dates and the Serrano ham coquettes were the star tapas. We will be back for more!Special Features:
- Tapas with a Southern twistFineDineDined on 5/9/2014We booked Taberna Tapas for a graduation meal and had excellent tapas with local ingredients. Favorites included the Salmon with honey chipotle and brussel sprouts with pine nuts (save the honey chipotle for dipping the brussel sprouts). They also have authentic Spanish croquettes and pintxos and excellent sangria. There was beautiful Spanish guitar music playing in the background that stimluated but did not command the conversation. A notable restaurant among Durham's exploded food scene.Special Features: