325 West Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tabernatapas.com/
- Phone: (919) 797-1457
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Taberna Tapas
Spanish Tapas, serving lunch & dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Taberna Tapas - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Taberna Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (39)special occasion (33)good for groups (28)notable wine list (25)hot spot (20)late-night find (18)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Bacon-wrapped dates are my new favorite food!HerbieDined on 11/19/2014Had dinner with friends prior to show at the Carolina. Warm and cheerful greeting by the hostess and waiter who was attentive to our timing. Fantastic menu with so many delicious things to choose from, it was difficult to decide. Ordered the bacon-wrapped dates, butternut squash, Serrano ham croquettes, arugula salad with honey dressing,avocado and chorizo croquettes with strawberries and cream and molten kava cake for desert to share in Tapas style. Everything was done to perfection and nicely plated without being too fussy. We ordered seconds on the dates and squash, they were so yummy! I could eat those every day. The strawberries were fresh and the cake was light, not too gooey. Our server made sure we had our bill in time to walk back to the Carolina without rushing. Overall, a wonderful way to start the evening in Durham! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palate pleasingCocoMamaDined on 11/16/2014Every item my husband and I (celebrating our first date 19 years ago) tasted danced on our taste buds. My personal favorite was a big surprise: the beet salad. It doesn't sound like much, but those beets were sliced, warm and soft and laid on top of some wilted spinach leaves with walnuts and goat cheese...oh my goodness! The Valencia paella was also amazingly flavorful! And the molten chocolate cake!! My husband loved his dark chocolate mousse and he isn't even a chocolate lover. He only ordered it because his first choice, the apple fritter, was unavailable. I am so looking forward to our return to this lovely little spot. And thanks to the prices, it won't have to be a long time before we're back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Pre-Show DinnerDawnKDined on 11/16/2014We enjoyed our meal which included the Charcuterie plate with 4 cheeses,3 meats and an olive assortment - all were very good, a Beet Salad ( husband said it was good), a wonderful braised beef short rib, and a special of sauteed oyster mushrooms served on crostini that was excellent. I also had their white wine sangria and found it to be refreshing. Since we were headed to a show at DPAC which is very close, we did not linger for a dessert. Many of the diners there were also headed to the show and the restaurant did a great job of getting food out quickly so that we were not delayed in heading to the theater, yet we didn't feel rushed in the presentation of the courses. I was very pleased with the attentiveness of the staff and the explanations of the menu items that were provided. Because we dined fairly early it wasn't very busy yet so the noise level was pleasantly low. The only thing that detracted slightly from the evening was the cold wind that crept in each time the door opened. It was a chilly evening and we were seated only a few feet away and directly in line with the door. Next time I will be sure to request a table further inside or in the area near the bar. They had several craft beers on tap and a nice drink menu also. I will gladly return here the next time I'm in town for a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Good tapas menu with lots of variety and vegetarian options. Great for sharing and trying lots of different foods and flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative, DeliciousquietdinerDined on 11/13/2014Four of us had dinner here recently one evening mid-week. It was packed, mainly because of people eating before one of the two shows that were going on that evening. By 8, things had emptied out a good deal. We shared various tapas plates: jambon croquettas to die for, and unusual, mouth-watering bacon-wrapped dates were two of the most memorable. Many, many tempting possibilities to try - the fun here is sharing. Service was attentive despite the crowd, as well as knowledgeable and pleasant. Recommend reservations, as there's a lot going on in downtown Durham, even on a mid-week evening in the late fall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A choice choice for dinnerkjbonDined on 11/13/2014Tabernas provides its customers with a wide array of Tapas; all of which are fresh, tasty and served in a timely manner. Moreover, despite the closeness of the tables, the noise level is such that you can still have a decent conversation with your dining companions without having to strain. Its closeness to both the Carolina Theater and DPAC allows you to have an excellent meal prior to the show..but make sure you provide yourselves enough time. You will not want to hurry or cut short yourself from the exceptionally prepared food. You will likely want to order the Tapas two or three times throughout your evening as this provides you the best opportunity to both enjoy your companions as well as the diversity of the menu. Tapas is meant to be shared in a relaxed and convivial environment, and Tabernas should be experienced in such a way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!sharonVIPDined on 11/13/2014Wonderful fresh food, great service and perfect location, especially prior to a DPAC show. All the plates were delicious and the staff was very attentive to our needs. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Great food. Varied menu. Outstanding wine and cocktails. Service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Tapas!MaggieDined on 11/8/2014This was my first visit to Taberna Tapas. We came with 11 people to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I was worried when I saw the size of the restaurant that we would be crowded, but we were quite comfortable. Everything we had was absolutely delicious and the service was enthusiastic and attentive without being hovering. Loved the bacon-wrapped figs, Portobello mushroom, and flatbread. The desserts we had were delicious as well. People seemed to especially like the chocolate mousse. Next time I will be trying one of the paellas. We will definitely be back, but with a smaller, more manageable group. The bacon-wrapped figs alone are well worth the trip from Raleigh! Thanks.Special Features:
- Tapas YUM YUM!CPugh1973Dined on 11/8/2014This is the place for a date night! We were greeted promptly by our waiter who was extremely knowledgeable about the menu. We started off with drinks and the PINTXOS CON PAN (a small bite on a crusted point). I had the crab cake and my wife had the Croquettas Serrano Ham - both were off the hook! Next, we ordered two small plates which are great for sharing. We shared calamari, which was very nicely seasoned and lightly fried and the Meatballs, which was served over a nice tomato sauce... they were good, but a meatball is a meatball. Finally, dessert was the flan, which melted in your mouth and was outstanding! The menu gives the diner many delicious choices and it is hard to decide what to order, so you must be back to try everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapasDaraDined on 11/7/2014The menu items are great, good descriptions too. I liked that we could get a variety of meat and non meat items. Some of the dishes that were supposed to be hot (I think) came out cold, which was disappointing, but a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceHammageDined on 11/7/2014We chose Taberna Tapas at random based on restaurants close to the DPAC. It is within an easy walking distance (even in heels) and our dining experience was top notch. Great service from servers who really knew and appreciated the food, wonderful flavors and the bacon wrapped dates were the BEST! I would highly recommend Taberna Tapas!Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACAEjilleryDined on 11/6/2014We've been going here for a few years. Always great food and service. The owner, Chris, is DAH BOMB!Special Features:
- Great tapas in DurhamCarolinagirlDined on 11/4/2014A friend and I enjoyed great food, wine, and service at Tabernas Tapas on Tuesday night. The restaurant itself is very pretty, with dark woods and a warm atmosphere. The service was attentive without being overbearing. The food was delicious - we enjoyed the paella tres mares, brussels sprouts and a warm chocolate cake. I would have given five stars for food except that the tortilla espanola that we had was dry and uninspired. Highly recommended restaurant!Special Features:
- Great findLuvgoodfoodDined on 11/2/2014We were headed to Durham to take in a show at the DPAC and wanted to eat near by for dinner before the show. Taberna Tapas could not have for the bill any better. It is a short walk to the Taberna from the Theatre. The wait staff were friendly, outgoing and knowledgeable about the menu. The tapas we had were amazing in terms of both look and taste. They also offer flatbreads and Palleas. Pallets if ordered as a small portion for two can be made on a relatively quick side. If you want a paella that can serve more then you will need to make sure you have a lot of time to wait as they take an hour to make. The chef understands flavor combinations, so I would go back and try a paella. Will definitely go back when we are in Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014We went to this restaurant before show at DPAC. All of us enjoyed the ability to order 2 separate dishes and share. We had a time limit and the staff made sure we made the show. Food was very good and would recommend to anyone looking to try Tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taberna TreatsMichelleVIPDined on 10/24/2014Tapas at Taberna is varied and delicious. Not too noisy and the wait staff if great!Special Features:
- So happy you have opened here!mifoufDined on 10/20/2014DELICIOUS food, very fresh and local. perfect use of spices, and i like my food well-spiced. THANKS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tapas, service and atmospheregeneDined on 10/14/2014Great Tapas and exellent service! A cozy restaurant with great tapas and nice wines. The tapas and Spanish wine reminded us of our visits to Spain. The wait staff was attenative. A winner! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome VisitOysterheaven1Dined on 10/10/2014This was out first visit to Taberna Tapas and it was an amazing experience. My husband and I were in Durham to see the Phantom of the Opera at the DPAC and he found this restaurant highly recommended on-line for neighborhood dining. The waiters were extremely knowledgeable of the fare and the concept was incredible. You don't overstuff yourself here but what you do eat is so very enjoyable. I would highly recommend to others and would definitely go back for another round!Special Features:
- fresh food, friendly servicemilenioDined on 10/9/2014We went early to Taberna to catch a show at DPAC, and I'm glad we made a reservation - it got pretty busy. We ordered primarily vegetarian plates, and they were all really great. Plates of roasted Brussels sprouts, squash, kale - yes! Presentation of each plate was also nice. The wine list is an interesting mix, and we had some tasty glasses of Spanish wine. The servers all share duties, so there were different people helping us along the way. Everyone was fast and friendly. They got us in and out of there on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativeMacDogDined on 10/7/2014The service was laid back, the tables are small and the menu is interesting. If you are looking for an interesting culinary experience, this is a great place. The service was maybe too casual for some, but that is all part of the experience. Dinner can trail on for hours as you keep ordering tapas and drinks at will. A bill for two people, with drinks, can easily extend beyond $100, although if you were careful you could stay below $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ocotal19Dined on 10/5/2014In my never ending search for good tapas restuarant in the Triangle, this place was phenomenal. The portions are perfect to share and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Definitely a place to go again!Sue1Dined on 10/4/2014We really liked this place. Food was outstanding with a broad selection of tapas. Service staff was personal, engaging but attentive. Tables were a bit too close but it is a small place. Noise level was reasonable unlike the tapas place down the street. We will return!Special Features:
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/4/2014The food was fair. The tapas were good, but the paella was VERY bland. It was like seafood and ketchup thrown on top of mushy saffron rice. Very disappointing. The waitress was in our face. My husband was still eating his when she came and stood by the table waiting for him to take his last bite and then took the plate. We were there at 5:30. It was NOT crowded. It wasn't like they needed to get us out of there and give the table to someone else. We will not be going back.
- Spanish delightsdiningdivaDined on 10/3/2014Food was great. Small plates, allowing you to sample and share. Service excellent. Made reservation through Open Table and our table was awaiting us when we arrived, though the place was packed.Special Features:
- First dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Taberna was perfect for a first date. It wasn't too expensive and the food was great. The atmosphere was romantic, but the concept of tapas was playful and a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun, nice, non-traditional mealRobinL270Dined on 9/27/2014Tapas is always fun, and Taberna Tapas had such an extensive and wide-ranging selection that everyone would be able to find something to suit them (although the bacon-wrapped dates are definitely the star item, and worth the trip by themselves!). The all-Spanish wine list is a little intimidating, especially when you know nothing about Spanish wine, but the staff were very helpful. Seating is a little tight, tables are small (but so are the plates, of course). Overall, service was excellent, and selection of foods was interesting and fun.Special Features:
- Pre show dinnerAnniversaryVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here several times and will continue to come back. They have a good selection of food in Tapas form to choose from and continue to come up with delicious new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousdieraDined on 9/21/2014I only recently had dinner at this restaurant with my husband for the first time, and I loved it so much that I took a friend two weeks later. Everything is seasoned just perfectly, neither bland nor over-elaborate, and it pleased both my husband who prefers 'regular' food and my friend who is more adventurous. I'm not going to claim to have a lot of tapas knowledge, but I do love good food, and this food is good.Special Features:
- DurhamDinerDined on 9/19/2014excellent, friendly, quick service and a great wine recommendationSpecial Features:
- Basque-ing in TapasManhattanStrayDined on 9/19/2014Whoever is in the kitchen of this tapas restaurant has found his sweet spot. Eat here. Order the dates wrapped in bacon. Try a Soreno ham croquette. Yes, it will change the way view tapas forever. Bravo.Special Features:
- IncredibleCrazookVIPDined on 9/13/2014So perfect for veg and non veg groups. Food was outstanding, sangria was epic and service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaysVIPDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have recently enjoyed Spanish flavors, from cheeses to tapas to wine, of course! Our first trip to Taberna to get our "fix" was very worthwhile. The tasty food was served quickly and timely, so that we never felt rushed between tapas. The server was knowledgeable about the plates, and we opted for some of his recommendations. The ambience was easygoing and friendly. We look forward to a return trip to sample additional tapas treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost in the shuffleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We had a good experience being seated quickly with a window seat. However, the waiter seemed overwhelmed by tables. The bartender and host helped clear tables and refill drink orders. The waiter forgot half our orders and had to be reminded about drink orders. The food was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten-Free Pre-Show DinnerkwixDined on 9/5/2014Food of high quality (with price to match). Wood-paneled Old World vibe. Good wine list & bar. Great slow-cooked short ribs. Good butternut squash with nuts, herbs & relishes. Service o.k., except really lousy water service: hard to enjoy food with no water. We will return. Tapas is perfect for a pre-show meal, since each small plate comes out when it is ready, some in just a few minutes. I ate here instead of the other tapas place nearby specifically because Taberna is responsible enough to mark on their menus what foods contain gluten (although our chatty self-focused waitress didn't really seem trained to know GF) -- which keeps those of us with celiac disease from having to spend 5 minutes explaining & questioning -- yay!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014disappointed. expensive and mediocre food. I thought it was going to be a good cheaper alternative to Matheus, but not even close.
- Sharing is funTravel4foodVIPDined on 8/30/2014The small plates are fun to share. The bacon-wrapped dates are a great way to start. Pork shoulder was substantial and tasty. The Valencia paella had good flavor. One serving was shared by the table. Heirloom tomatoe salad was simply and fresh. The manchego was an unexpected bonus. Server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationsMussadiqDined on 8/29/2014Was the highlight of of our evening. We enjoyed the food and service and were pleseNtly surprised at how fast the service was on a Friday evening.Special Features:
- A hidden gem!sunnyDined on 8/28/2014You may have heard more about another nearby Tapas restaurant, but after several visits at both places we give this our #1 rating. The food is wonderful: well prepared, flavorful, and lots of variety. Service is great: attentive but not bothersome. And it is not noisy and overcrowded. We love it, and recommend it heartily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.