1300 Tenth St
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.t-rex-bbq.com/
- Phone: (510) 527-0099
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 10:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lafferty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have an outside catering menu which can be delivered as well as picked up. Go to our website at www.t-rex-bbq.com and find the catering section.
- Entertainment: 6 Tv's, 3 in Bar and 3 in restaurant.
- Special Events: Any special event? You can call Cody to book a table and any requests are welcomed. firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from T-Rex Restaurant
T-Rex Restaurant & Bar in Berkeley, CAContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
T-Rex Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great eggs benedict!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013We went for a Mother's Day brunch (I had never had brunch at T-Rex) and were delighted. I ordered the T-Rex Benedict, which was absolutely perfect, served with potatoes, a bit of fruit, and bacon--my dining mates had asked for the bacon on the side so they could eat it (I'm vegetarian) but it was served on the same plate and touching the other food. I realize this sounds nitpicky, but it's annoying! Because we were a group of 6, we were seated on the bottom level which isn't at all as enjoyable as the second level, but the food and service were great. We tried to disregard the loud repairs that were being made in the kitchen right next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, though I am notPauloVIPDined on 5/4/2013Great food, though I am not sure why they cut up a rack of ribs for you vs. serving you a slab - I've never had it served that way before. The service can get slow when they are about 65% full - drinks too a long time to come out and the main course was served before we were finished with our appetizers. Flag anyone down and they will help out but it really should be about coordinating and timing. The BBQ is fine, tasty, the mac & cheese with bacon is quite good too. Crab cake appetizer - just 2, a disappointing serving size but at leas the cakes were a decent size. Fun time, good food, with improvement in the service and timing, etc. it will become even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunch at T-RexsanfranfemDined on 4/28/2013I was very disappointed with T-Rex this time. It was my first visit for brunch and the 2 things I really wanted on the menu, 1 on the brunch menu (duck confit hash) and 1 on regular lunch menu (steak with goat cheese sandwich), were both unavailable. Bit surprising since it was only noon and the place was empty. I took the substituted brisket hash and it was just "bleh". They only serve white bread, so I asked if I could have corn bread instead. They brought out a giant piece of dried out cornbread that was in a bowl with 1/4 inch of butter on the bottom and charged me $5 for it. T-Rex, you can do MUCH better than that.
- Prepare to be smoked!MiloDeanDined on 4/24/2013T-Rex is well known for their smoked meats, family style sides and of course..their corn bread (a must). In additon to the delicious mouth watering BBQ they have a well stocked bar with great beers on tap. The layout of the restaurant is open, my favorite is balcony seating as you get the full experience of the entire resaturant, local paintings on the walls, architecture and more. The staff is prompt, checks in frequently and overall always provides awesome service. Be prepares to leave smoked when you dine at T-RexSpecial Features:
- Tastey food, good service.JoyDeBakeDined on 4/14/2013Tastey food, good service. Was a little surprised that our waiter sat down at the table with us when taking our order. Self-serve water carafe on the table was lukewarm...we could have used some ice. But food was good and plentiful. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedjudybugDined on 4/9/2013Four of us had dinner . One was really pleased with their baby back ribs. The other thought theirs was dry. Pulled pork diner not pleased with their meat or coleslaw. Beet/ goat cheese salad was good--a bit too much of it for me though. We didn't eat dessert, but the slices presented on a tray looked very small and unappetizing. This is our second visit, and we were underwhelmed.
- We have been here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/22/2013We have been here many times since opening night some years ago, and have watched the quality steadily decline. Tonight was our first visit under the new owners, and we were sorely disappointed. The baby back ribs were Ok, if uninspired. The beans were watery and bland, and the Brussels sprouts were soggy with excess fat and short on taste. Sadly, our T-rex days are now begins is.
- An Excellent findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2013Never knew this restaurant existed until I received a recommendation to go there from Golden gate Fields race track. Wish I had known about this establishment before, will come here more often. have recommended this restaurant to other businesses in the area.Special Features:
- Enjoyed their all you canEdnaDined on 3/13/2013Enjoyed their all you can eat BBQ which they do monthlySpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceRonBDined on 3/10/2013We dined at TRex with a party of 10 to celebrate a birthday. The tabla was already waiting for us upon our arrival. Service was very good and attentive. The food was excellent. All in all a very nice dining experience. I will return to TRex again and recommend it for your dining.Special Features:
- food great, ambiance niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013food great, ambiance nice and lively. very busy, so service was slow.Special Features:
- Friday Pig NightcalgDined on 3/1/2013Went on Pig Night and it was pretty crowded with all kinds of people: families, couples, friends, etc. Service was very slow - they were backed up due to large response to Pig Night deal, but food was pretty good once it arrived, esp. the sautéed brussel sprouts - which I normally don't even like, the ribs and the mashed potatoes with bacon. there were some mysterious brown things on the plate that were shaped like chicken livers, but weren't. I didn't eat them, but had plenty to eat anyway. It was a lively, fun experience.Special Features:
- Too noisy. Wait staff friendly,Bvw3Dined on 3/1/2013Too noisy. Wait staff friendly, but nearly running through the restaurant. Had the "Pig Plate" special. Wasn't as good as hoped. Too noisy to go back. Server was very nice and hndled every reques quickly and with a smile.Special Features:
- Fantastic service, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2013fantastic service. quite a few items that we wanted from the menu were unavailable, which made ordering for the children difficult. my tuna melt was great but my sister's pulled pork sliders had huge chunks of fat. my son's pulled pork tacos were great. they had forgotten my dish with the rest of the table so they added a complimentary drink which was kind and delicious. also, it was my daughter's birthday dinner, (we picked the restaurant for location since everyone was coming from different directions) the entire staff sang her "happy birthday" and she got cake w/ice cream, she loved it. I would go again.Special Features:
- Too bad...wanted to like this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 2/16/2013First of all....VERY expensive for BBQ. The mac and cheese was too rich...none of us could finish ours. The burgers were hard and dry...I think someone referred to them as hockey pucks...yep! The sandwiches fell apart when you tried to cut them. Just wasn't good food overall. Won't be going back. Too bad, nice space and easy parking. Just won't pay that kind of money for bad BBQ. Read some other reviews and decided to give it a shot....now I see what others were saying.
- Excellent service and environment.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Excellent service and environment. Food was only fair this time. Short rib looked great and was recommended by the server but was so fatty I couldn't eat it. My friend had the ribs and they weren't "fall off the bone" as suggested on the menu after slow cooked for 12 hours. The mac n cheese, on the other hand, was delicious! This was my third time here and I'll probably go back because it's local and we like the vibe in Berkeley. I think the real problem is that they changed owners awhile back and he likes to change the menu with hit and miss items. The people next to us had the fried chicken and it looked really good! We both wish we'd ordered that instead.Special Features:
- open camp fireManfredVIPDined on 2/2/2013The food was good but no longer great. What bothered me the most was the smoke-filled atmosphere. Our clothes smelled like we were camping next to an open fire pit.Special Features:
- Although the food was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Although the food was good, the service and lack of knowledge of the servers really detracted from the meal. At 6:30 PM they were out of oysters and ribs. Server forgot to tell us until meal arrived. Obviously a lack of communication and poor training of the wait staff. Server was pleasant but embarrassed. What food got served was succulent, ribs, cornbread the best I've ever had including Texas, mac-n-cheese. BBQ sauce tasted bottled and Not spicy at all leading me to believe they put the wrong sauce on the plate.Special Features:
- Tried this place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2013Tried this place for brunch based on recommendations from several friends. They have a small brunch menu on Sundays. However, both my dining companion and I ordered from the menu and were told that the item wasn't available. They had cornmeal banana blueberry pancakes, but told us they were out of bananas and blueberries and asked if we'd just want pancakes. I ordered the duck confit hash, but they were of course out of duck. I settled for a brisket hash that was chewy with big chunks of fat. There are fun places for brunch (Boot & Shoe Service, Luka's) in East Bay, so I would never go here again.
- They were out of nearly everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/27/2013They were out of nearly everything on their menu, they brought the wrong meal for one of our table of four, and the waitstaff seemed put-upon.
- Unfortunately, this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/25/2013Unfortunately, this restaurant has changed considerably over the last several months in our opinion including the food, the comfort, the noise in the restaurant. We would suggest that the new owners do a survey of its customers to find out what needs improvement. We would suggest the following: refocus on the food and the deserts,returning the old cornbread cake dripping with honey would be a big step in the right direction, move the leather chairs back up stairs, they were very comfortable up there but not in the busy downstairs atmosphere, go back to the sports television and cancel the loud over head music. This was one of our favorite restaurants and it appears to be slipping away.
- Great spot for a weekday lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2013I met a long-time friend at T-Rex whom I hadn't seen for ages and we had a great lunch of oyster Po-boys. I added crispy fries to my order,... and it was a wonderful and tasty meal. This was a weekday lunch and the restaurant was almost empty which made our long conversation very pleasant. The wait staff were wonderful- both attentive and encouraging in terms of letting us dawdle through lunch with ample time to catch up with one another.Special Features:
- This used to be one of myOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2013This used to be one of my favorite spots but unfortunately I will not be coming back again. The service has always been just okay but the food and drinks made up for it. The food has steadily gone downhill. A few comments: Garlic mashed potatos - could not taste any garlic Cornbread - no honey, just a pool of butter and dried out cornbread Margarita - tall glass that tasted like sour mixer. I ordered a special tequila and only wanted agave nectar and lime. I had to send it back as it was not "drinkable" Meat - all just sort of bland Sorry, I would love to give rave reviews but things are not like they once were.
- This is the place for smokeykangaVIPDined on 1/20/2013This is the place for smokey BBQ. Food is tasty and the portions are a good size.Special Features:
- Much anticipated visit asvegasbabyvegasDined on 1/6/2013Much anticipated visit as my brother for his bday celebration wanted brisket. We were a party of 5 adults and 2 kids. We arrived and were seated but no kid menus were avail. The hostess said they were being printed. (10 minutes later when I got up to ask she said they were still working on it.) Food order came incomplete. Waiter never came to see if we were ok. After 10 min of trying to flag him down we finally told him one person still hadn't gotten food, and he offereed no apology said oh and disappeared again. We wanted to get refills on drinks andwater but he rushed off before we could ask. One person ordered a drink that never came afer two repeat requests. Getting coffee was impossible. Fries were overfried & greasy. Had to send back.
- Hadn't been there is a whileOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/5/2013Hadn't been there is a while but it was a great in between spot to meet some friends from Marin. Service was very good and so was the food. Will be back.Special Features:
- still hoping it'll get betterMDA223VIPDined on 1/1/2013party of 6 with 2 kids, arrived early but the (nice)hostess was able to seat us. we ordered everything to share/for the table. we waited 40+ minutes for the first dish (mussels) to arrive--one plate, of several, for the entire party--then, the 2 fried chickens aside, the rest of the food was brought up one-by-one, with 5- to 10-minute gaps inbetween. except the chicken, all the "hot" food & side dishes were either cold or luke-warm. we sent back the cornbread because it was stale & refrigerator cold--i used a fork to divide the cornbread, when i put it up against my lips the fork was, literally, chilled. over the years, we've eaten here several times, each time we hope it won't be as bad as the previous.Special Features:
- I love T-Rex, but was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/1/2013I love T-Rex, but was very disappointed when they moved the comfortable chairs and tables downstairs. Please put them back upstairs!Special Features:
- Too noisy ...couldn't haveOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/14/2012Too noisy ...couldn't have a conversation without making an effort to raise our voices. very young crowdSpecial Features: