1300 Tenth St
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.t-rex-bbq.com/
- Phone: 5105270099x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Sa-Su 10:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 3:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lafferty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have an outside catering menu which can be delivered as well as picked up. Go to our website at www.t-rex-bbq.com and find the catering section.
- Entertainment: 6 Tv's, 3 in Bar and 3 in restaurant.
- Special Events: Any special event? You can call Cody to book a table and any requests are welcomed. firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from T-Rex Restaurant
T-Rex Restaurant & Bar in Berkeley, CAContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
T-Rex Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (14)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (12)special occasion (7)fit for foodies (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- burger lovingly prepared (not)bobozoidDined on 8/7/2014My T-rex hamburger must have come from dinosaur era,.... fossilized. i asked for medium well and got an overcooked, dry dino pattie. The avocado i paid a dollar for was a few thin stingy slices, hiding meekly under an enormous bun Dessert.. some kind of peach cobbler that looked like it was thrown together by a blind grannie (very unprofessional looking restaurant dessert) long story made short ... i enjoyed my friend's ribs much more... a good place for ribs etc, but avoid the brontoburger.
- 59burstDined on 7/28/2014I've been to Trex many times over the years and it has never failed to satisfy. This time however, was different. The baby back ribs were rather tough and gristle-y and I couldn't spot any noticeable smoke ring. As someone who smokes meat myself, my guess is that they were either cooked at too high a temperature, too short a time, or both. Similarly, the burnt ends (I think that's what they called them) of brisket were on the tough side. I was with a large group of friends, and others thought similarly, that it wasn't as good as it has been in the past. Our server Johanna (spelling may be wrong) was superb.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great bbq. However the brisket was a bit too fatty.
- DisappointedDined on 7/19/2014I have been going to this Restaurant for a number of years and have been struck by the change in quality. I went for dinner on Friday. French fries and hamburger were cold. They sent out grilled instead if a grid pulled pork sandwich (healthier but not what we ordered). The pulled pork sandwich which used to be excellent was very average. Lastly, the "Cobb salad" not only bore no relationship to a Cobb salad but nobody at our table liked it and it is a rate day when we won't eat something served at a restaurant.
- family friendly restaurantCa1iforniaDined on 7/19/2014Kids and adults alike enjoy the food and atmosphere here.Special Features:
- I am T. Rex, hear me roarChrisDined on 6/23/2014Good bar food, with some unusual choices, like poutine. good service. appropriately priced. Very noisy at lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKhktbklhDined on 6/22/2014Food is OK, overpriced for slightly improved bar food. They make a good mojito. I come here to watch games, it's usually not too crowded and the seating is either austere or very comfortable. The arm chairs nice to lounge in, but can be a little awkward to eating from them.Special Features:
- Wouldn't make a special tripZephyrsfDined on 6/21/2014When I saw the menu online and some of the interesting concepts, I was excited to visit. As a BBQ connoisseur, I had high hopes that T-rex would deliver. As far as the BBQ, they are par for the course for the Bay Area; dry, saucy and lacking a good smoke flavor. Don't get me wrong, the food was ok, but not something I would make a special trip to eat. The decor seemed modern and more suited for a nice french restaurant but then had big screen TVs all over the restaurant; kinda confusing and in no way indicating the their namesake. I think they are going for more bar scene/bar food. We had the Carolina pulled pork and burnt ends with mashed garlic potatoes, coleslaw and a side of Brussels sprouts. The sides were the best part.Special Features:
- In decline??OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2014The last couple of times, the food was disappointing. The ribs were not as tender and moist as in the past, and the sides were underwhelming.
- Great BarbecueVirgocookVIPDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant has several styles of barbecue. Will have to come back and try some others. Very different menu from a lot of restaurants - very meat centered but the food was good! Big assortment of side dishes and yummy and innovative appetizers - try the bacon wrapped shrimp. Loved the Memphis style babybacks and the salads were good too. It is a bit noisy in there, so maybe try a non-weekend evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally a GOOD BBQ!!4foodiefamilyDined on 6/15/2014My husband BBQ's all the time because we never could find a restuarant that had good BBQ. The food was good and the service was great! No one in our party had any complaints. We all left stuffed and with food left over. The chips with dip, were a big hit along with the nachos. Any BBQ you order I'm sure will be cooked to perfection. The one specialty that no other restuarant on the west coast has is the burnt ends which seemwd to be a big hit with true BBQ lovers. If any complaint, it was a little warm on the second level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014Great place if you want to watch games... not so great if you just want a meal and talk to people. Nice and clean, large TV screen, friendly staff. Food is not good... maybe it would taste better with beers...Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Showed up with 2 extra people for a reservation of 7 people and they were able to squeeze in 9. Great they were flexible!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the eveningfishymamaDined on 6/13/2014We eat out at T-Rex often and have had mixed experiences over the years. This visit was the best yet. The service was great and everything we ordered was correct and delicious.Special Features:
- Ribs!veggielover2Dined on 6/1/2014It must have been the advent of summer because I was hungry for ribs. And at TRex they were very good. Pulled pork, ribs, fried chicken. Comfort food abounds right in my neighborhood! It was a little too noisy for the conversation a friend and I were having to catch up, and it's largely a youngish crowd, but it's a fun place, with very good food, and reasonable prices. Yum!Special Features:
- Great Food, Casual DininghgoinVIPDined on 5/31/2014Loved the mini corn dogs and BBQ chips and dip. The nachos had to much pork and beans and not enough cheese. The peach crisp was heavenly ad the peanut butter pie was goo for sharing (so sweet). Our food always came quickly, however our waitress never did.Special Features:
- DisappointedAreaVisitorDined on 5/19/2014I passed this place numerous times and it smelled so good. Unfortunately the smell did not translate to the taste.
- Altogether EnjoyableCointrelleDined on 5/17/2014T-Rex has so many enticing small plates that we have no idea what their entrees taste like. The deviled egg appetizer that is frequently included on their happy hour selection is a terrific small plate and an enduring favorite -- four delicious deviled egg halves surrounding a small, green salad. A newer addition, the dinosaur kale is the best flavored kale we had ever tried and vegan! The staff at T-Rex are friendly, professional, and flexible. On our most recent visit, we were celebrating a graduation and arrived for our reservation an hour early and one member of the party was quite late. The servers were extremely accommodating and we had a terrific time.Special Features:
- Yum!VersaceVIPDined on 5/17/2014The BBQs are soooo tasty! Everyone loves their choice. What a surprise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & Great AtmosphereFePhiDined on 5/11/2014Our family dined at T-Rex for Mother's Day. It was a great choice! We were seated upstairs at a table with plenty of space for our large party. Our server was helpful, patient and attentive. The food was great; we feasted on oysters, bacon-wrapped shrimp, ribs, mac and cheese and Brussels sprouts. (yes, Brussels sprouts!) Dessert (pear crumble) was disappointing, but otherwise our visit was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the T-Rex Restaurant reviews archive.
- Solid and Varied BarbequeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014Very hard to find good Kansas City ribs, but T-Rex has got it. We ordered the three-item Barbeque, and everything was delicious. Server staff were great and helpful with suggestions.Special Features:
- Fabulous BBQ; insane deviled eggseaoDiningOutVIPDined on 4/15/2014TRex has struggled over the years with service. More recently though, service had been stepped up, so I hoped they might have figured it it out. Unfortunately, this visit slipped backwards. The bathrooms were unkempt; the host wouldnt seat us at our reservation time (and offered the very lousy excuse, that the waiters would be overwhelmed); our waiter was indeed overwhelmed, so got a few pieces of our order wrong. BUT, their food and drinks are just so yummy. Oysters fresh and delicious; any sort of meat from the smokers is truly glorious; and the cocktail menu is limitless! I most definitely recommend this place--just don't expect service commiserate with expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great time!IloveBBQDined on 4/15/2014Been here a few times and the more I get to know the people who work here, the better time I have had. Everytime I come it just seems to get better and better! Thank you T-Rex for serving great BBQ and constantly striving to be better.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I came here as a second choice from Pican, the menu selection was a lot better. We felt rushed by the staff to order and eat. My fiancé said it felt like they did everything but pick us up and throw us out. We booked the reservation, but it appeared we were a bother. The food was good, they served my fiance to pieces of small steak instead of 12oz. Good food over allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Prices for Bad BBQJohnDined on 4/6/2014I've heard some pretty good things about T-Rex and have wanted to try it for awhile. The service was good and the atmosphere is fun and open with delicious drinks. Try and sit upstairs, the large windows and big chairs provide for a relaxing time. I want to go back for happy hour but will not go back and pay those prices for dinner. The fried chick was dripping in grease, its not hard to cook fried chicken, while the kale was chewy. Worst of all this BBQ restaurant had dry ribs, a BBQ place! These things needed their good sauce. Like I said I will go back and try the happy hour.Special Features:
- Nice food but mediocre serviceJac13Dined on 4/5/2014I like my crab cake Benedict and it's ambience but the service is not very good. They didn't refill water or coffee for us at all and they gave the wrong bill and almost return our credit card to the wrong table. The waitstaff is not always present on the second floor and it took a while for them to process the check for us.Special Features:
- Tiny Portions, Big PricesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2014I arranged an alumni gathering here because T-Rex takes reservations online for large parties. I did not have much time to look elsewhere. The server was nice, but so overworked that she forgot my child's milk and it was impossible to flag her down. Due to incessant whining by my toddler, I flagged down the host and asked if anyone could bring her drink. Everyone else had gotten their beers and the food was starting to come out by the time that her milk arrived. My toddler, unfortunately, had fries off of someone's plate that arrived first. Overall, the food is not that great, and the prices are worse. The guy next to me got a two-way, which looked like two half-orders (at best) of barbecue.Special Features:
- T-Rex is the quintessentialNancyDined on 3/9/2014T-Rex is the quintessential bar-b-que resturant and the food is always excellent, choice is great and it's just fun to eat there.Special Features:
- Good food, bad drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014The food was good. Ribs were not as tender as expected, but the fried chicken was great. The drinks were poorly made and expensive.Special Features:
- Ok barbecue. Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/27/2014We had a. nice evening with friends. Good service , good value , food unremarkable.Special Features:
- Good food, but don't be in a hurry.AllenDined on 2/17/2014The night we were at T-Rex, only about 1/3 of the tables were occupied. Our order, all sandwiches, took over 15 minutes to arrive. The servers were very attentive, just the kitchen seemed slow. This was not a problem for us, we were having a catch-up dinner with old friends so we had plenty of time to chat. If you're in a hurry, maybe tell your server at the start. Everything was very tasty. We'd definitely go back for another laid-back evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold and dryOaktownDinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014Had both types of ribs served here. The meat was dry and cold. The side of beans (also cold) and coleslaw were simply awful. Service was friendly but place seemed understaffed. This could be a good turnaround story for "Kitchen Nightmares".
- T-Rex RestaurantJuls527Dined on 2/15/2014I would recommend dining if you go with a large group and is kid friendly. I was disappointed in the portion size for the price...could have offered more food and the service was just ok. The food was tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Day after Valentine's DayjkdineDined on 2/15/2014We got a table in the corner asked for on OpenTable. Our group of 6 enjoyed selected meals. The food was to rich for my soul and one has to indulge every once and awhile so no complaint. The beer selection was thin the day after Valentine's Day and the crowd too. So a good night for going to dinner. Less crowd equals less external volume for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what I expectedsimplysweetDined on 2/14/2014The appetizers were great but the main dishes were not. I went to dinner with my wife, my cousin and her wife and the service we received was awful. Our waiter was rude and careless, the food was dry and bland. It just wasn't what I was expecting. The manager tried to make things better by assisting the waiter bit by then we had, had enough.Special Features:
- Service and food very good.ShelbearDined on 2/1/2014Only negative was the ribs were served Luke warm. Must have been siting on the serving counter too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T-REX: Nice, fun place!RobertDined on 1/29/2014Went there for early dinner during the week, and had a good experience. We sat on the second level overlooking the open kitchen. Waiter was busy, so we had to wait to place drink order. Once he finally got back to us, we ordered drinks, as well as our entrees. The entrees arrived before the drinks, and the waiter apologized and explained that the bar was really backed-up. Food and drinks were good; my friend had the Crab Cakes, which were nicely presented with a side salad. I had the Pulled Pork plate, with mashed potatoes and beans (recommended by the waiter). It was all good, but when we finished, I could not locate the waiter for a take out box, so the hostess brought me one. Overall, it was nice, but I wasn't really impressed.Special Features:
- I did not expect to be so impressedcsdstyleVIPDined on 1/26/2014I came on a Sunday afternoon desperate for brunch and was happy to see they served it until 3p. The host, Greg, kicked things off right by being awesome. We sat upstairs with a great view of the game. I was surprised by how good the menu was, not to mention the food! The home fries are delish and they spared no expense on the goat cheese in my omelette. My friend was thrilled with the grilled salmon po-boy saying it was grilled to perfection. I will definitely be returning to try many other menu items that caught my eye. When you go, try the beet salad (yumm) and the garlic fries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So ExperienceKristaDined on 1/24/2014The last time we went here, we really enjoyed it. This time, not so much...The waitress came after about 15 minutes of waiting for our appetizer and said she just put the order in because she thought they might be out of one of the main ingredients (not a great reason!) and that it would be coming just a few minutes before our food. It came with our food. To their credit, they comped it. The jalapenos we had asked for on the side weren't with it so we had to ask twice. The dish was good, though. They didn't have the cold-smoked steak on the menu that had us so excited on our first trip. The food we did order was pretty good, but the cornbread was burned in the middle so half of it wasn't edible. Not chomping at the bit for our next trip.
- Lousy service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2014Waited 45 minutes before waitress took our order. Restaurant wasn't crowded, just understaffed. Food was marginal at best. They cover everything in gallons of BBQ sauce in hope that patrons don't notice the mediocre food beneath it. There are better restaurant options in the area. Wish we had picked a different place.