755 Beacon Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sycamorenewton.com/
- Phone: 6172444445x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm (Big Trouble in Little Sycamore: 9:00pm - 11:30pm); Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Snacks until 11:30pm Tuesday-Sunday; Bar open until 12:00am Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Punch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Big Trouble in Little Sycamore is an ongoing series every Monday night from 9:00pm - 11:30pm. Sous Chef Daniel Scott serves up his house ramen and a rotating selection of Asian soul food. All seats for Big Trouble in Little Sycamore are first-come, first-serve.
- Cross Street: Langley Road and Sumner Street
- Public Transit: We are located across the street from the Newton Centre Green Line T Stop. When you exit the station, turn right on to Union Street. Beacon Street and Sycamore Restaurant can be seen directly across from the park.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking along Beacon Street and 1-2 hour parking on nearby side streets. There is also a public lot between Beacon Street and Langley Road. Most meters in the area shut off at 6:00pm.
The private lots behind the restaurant and adjacent buildings are not Sycamore's own and are not recommended for parking. Cars may be towed from these lots.
A word from Sycamore
Sycamore is a seasonally inspired, chef-owned neighborhood bistro in Newton Centre. Emphasizing locally sourced produce, fish and meat, our menu draws on classic European country food; rustic and wholesome. Our beverage program is designed to complement the cuisine. The wine list focuses on passionate small producers, our beers are by and large domestic craft selections and the cocktail list highlights classic drinks and sipping spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Sycamore - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Sycamore reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (127)special occasion (65)romantic (40)notable wine list (36)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Worth the waiteddinesoutDined on 9/19/2014A crowded bar and very limited waiting space are the price you pay for eating in this popular Newton Center hotspot; it's a small price. Sycamore's creative dishes are always farm-, orchard-, or water fresh. The chef creates complex dishes with wonderful balance. Dinner at the bar is a joy, and Scott is a one-man show. Despite the tight quarters, a friendly, professional, yet always down-to-earth staff navigate effortlessly through the crowds. I post this with ambivalence since I'm not interested in helping to create longer but well deserved waits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to the sycamore at least 4 times but this visit was the best yet. Pig board was fabulous! Two of us spilt and third person ordered the corn pancakes-- delicious too. Desserts were both amazingly tasty-- we had the pear and huckleberry. service wonderful. felt like we were the only ones in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold, chewy steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Great app and dessert, friendly service, lovely space, but unfortunately a terrible main. Steak was awful quality, cold and chewy. Took 45 mins to prepare, and we were all very disappointed. Will not be back.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Went to Sycamore with my boss and a coworker. None of us had ever been before. The food is some of the best I have had outside of the top end restaurants in Boston and Cambridge, and the prices are very reasonable considering the quality and creativity of the food. Also our waiter was wonderful, he made a couple of great recomendations on food and wine, and was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the menu. Definitely the best bang for your buck I have found in the Greater Boston area. I will absolutely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably good and creative foodEdpiterDined on 9/12/2014I am a foodie. And I and my friends have absolutely enjoyed the meal, the drinks and the desert. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I found it overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014The service was very good. The food was more than decent, but not great. The noise level was way too high. I expected the restaurant to knock my socks off, and it definitely didn'tSpecial Features:
- MiddlingTrauteDined on 9/9/2014The place is very small and currently quite popular. It seemed that the staff was intent on fast turnover. While fast service is good, there is a fine line to being made to feel hurried. The food is o.k. but not outstanding. When we asked for more bread when the main dishes arrived, the staff put a slice on our dinner plate. Where they running low on bread plates?Special Features:
- Nice and cozyGaussDined on 9/8/2014We went for dinner on a Monday evening and everything turned out fantastic. Table was ready sharply at 8, noise was reasonable (although I could see why other reviews complained about it) and food and wine were excellent. Offer someaht limited, sure, but sort of expected for a little restaurant. Fresh local product, very well cooked and with a hint of fusion-cuisine (curries, sweet and sour twists, old world croquettes...). Overall, a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Meal!PeteeyeVIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I ate here for the first time and absolutely loved the experience. Everything was top-notched -- we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Top 5 in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014If this place were in Cambridge you'd never be able to get in. Food is outstanding. Excellent cocktails. Chill vibe.Special Features:
- Great Food and StaffRugbyLawDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at Sycamore and we had a wonderful time. Everything from the ambiance to the food to the staff was perfect. It is clear that they take great pride in the front and back of the house and really want to make each visit memorable. Everything from the complimentary champagne to start the meal, to the perfectly cooked food (we had the ribs and the steak) made our trip to Sycamore an anniversary dinner to remember.Special Features:
- Fun DinnerSB4diningVIPDined on 9/3/2014Tried Sycamore for an early dinner. Matt waited on us and he was awesome. We tried different items and all were delicious. The ceviche was amazing and the ribs were so tender they were falling off the bone. We had the steak and pozole and both were excellent. We would definately go back the next time we are in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Loved the food --- everything we ate was yummy! Bluefish pate and fattoush salad were terrific starters. Farmer's board was outstanding!Special Features:
- Great restaurantJessVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was very nice: service, cocktails, wine, food, and ambiance. Pickles were great, ceviche and peach salad (sans coppa) were quite nice, and farm board had lots of delicious options. Would definitely come back, though having lots of good restaurants closer to us, probably won't be soon. We were very happy with sycamore and would certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful - Highly RecommendedOrrerrificVIPDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful place- great attentive service, superb food and a welcoming atmosphere. Definitely a keeper !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!NiceNicoleDined on 8/27/2014We absolutely loved our meal at Sycamore and the service was excellent. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 visits, 2 great nightspb901Dined on 8/27/2014Welcoming, knowledgable and attentive staff, greeted by visible owner/chef, great food - blood sausage fantastic. Returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many surprisesGoatman802Dined on 8/26/2014Many surprises and no real disappointments (unless you consider espresso to finish a great meal essential at a restaurant of this quality). The blending of North African and Middle Eastern spices (chermoula and fish!) and condiments (roasted carrots in labneh!) with French technique is a great touch. The flavors were perfectly layered and the farm fresh ingredients were made to shine.Special Features:
- Lovely in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I requested a quiet table and was seated by the window. Really appreciated that consideration. Even after the restaurant filled up, the noise level was OK. The vegetarian main course was delicious and beautiful. Loved that there is a house wine option available by glass and carafe, and the rest of the wine list looked inviting. The service was perfect, very helpful and understated. It was refreshing that my dinner companion and I were not addressed as "you ladies" all evening. I will look forward to returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- AllUrBassVIPDined on 8/22/2014amazing food and innovative bar program. menu rotates frequently and have never had a bad or even mediocre dish. bar staff great at tailoring drinks to specific tastes. my only wish is that there were a few more seats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent fresh simple & creativeJBtableVIPDined on 8/22/2014Neighborhood gem: always fresh simple and creative food with big taste. Wonderful bluefish pate appetizer, very creative and fresh salads; entrees delicious (specially the fish & braised dishes); dessert menu has improved; the sweet corn ice-cream brought back wonderful childhood memories of summer beach vacations; service is excelente; staff highly trained; Cons: lacks an espresso bar & hard to get a reservation on weekends; small restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014High quality food served in fresh ways. Decent value. Fun yet knowledgeable waitstaff. Great drinks menu. A win for Newton Centre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Happy25thDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I went to Sycamore for our 25th Anniversary dinner because of good reviews we'd seen. When I made the reservation I mentioned the special occasion. After we were seated the waitress poured us flutes of complimentary champagne. Nice touch! The food was interesting and delicious, the staff very attentive but not overwhelming. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Just greatGarpDined on 8/11/2014Perfect dinner from apps to desert. Service was ideal, there when needle but not intrusive. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local food and serviceKaleLoverDined on 8/11/2014Got there at 5 on a Monday night, didn't full up till 6/6:30. Very attentive staff, nice atmosphere. The food menu is slightly limited, but everything sounds amazing and the two apps and mains we had were all superb (greens salad, fattoush, kielbabsa, and corn cakes). I don't drink, but there were 4 pages of wine, and 1 of beer and cider (1 for food), so I would assume there was something there for most. Definitely made it onto the list of places to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!MG0384Dined on 8/10/2014We've been here twice now and both times were excellent. Everything was delicous from cocktails to dessert. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014repeated visits have consistently left me with the impression that both food and service are outstanding. It is a bit noisy but not intolerableSpecial Features:
- WonderfulmarieDined on 8/6/2014It was my second time here, and both times the wait staff was genuinely warm and welcoming. We had Olivia as our server and she was amazing--attentive, knowledgable, and funny. The food was great, as expected. The only complaint we had was with the small portions (in comparison to the prices), but I guess that's expected when going to an upscale restaurant in Newton Centre. The drinks and desserts were also yummy!Special Features:
- SycamoresushiVIPDined on 8/3/2014As always the food was wonderful!! Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh farm to table vibeJBtableVIPDined on 8/1/2014Clams was a wonderful appetizer, green salad simple and great light dressing; scallops night special was delicious, a lot of taste and perfect consistency . Peach tart has the perfect crushSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston's South End Comes to NewtonSplewisVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great spot for the suburbs. Outstanding food (moderatedly price) and great drink specials. Friendly service (especially at the bar). The restaurant is relatively small and seating is a little tight for my liking, but the atmosphere is great otherwise. Clever dishes that explode with flavors. Certainly on par or exceding any "fit for foodie" restaurant in Boston's South End without the hassle of finding a parking spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great presentation, great service, great menu, everything was A++++++++Special Features:
- Superstar!FoodFanaticVIPDined on 7/31/2014Best meal I've had in a long time. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing neighborhood restaurantLauraDined on 7/30/2014Sycamore is a rare restaurant that continues to provide a new selection of dishes from the simple to the more complex that are all amazing!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceDaveHDined on 7/30/2014We went on a Wednesday night and the place was packed. My wife wanted some clams and there weren't any on the app menu but, since we saw them as part of the Fish Board, asked if we could have a portion. The waiter checked with the kitchen and then we were served the most delicious clams in a tasty aeoli broth with grilled bread. The bass entrée was perfectly cooked with crisp skin and savory vegetables. The vegetarian corn pancakes were also flavorful with a nice sauce. The service was attentive and the servers and chefs were flexible with both our entrée request and a special request on desert. Only downside is that the restaurant is on the noisy side.Special Features:
- SuperbDrAudioVIPDined on 7/30/2014Every time we've been to Sycamore the dining experience has been superb. The last time was with friends to celebrate our anniversary. The attention of our servers was outstanding and the food was delicious and uniquely prepared. Truly outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Metrowest findEditorGalDined on 7/30/2014Food and drink are good, although the craft drinks seemed creatively "forced." My Three Wise Men, a three-component tequila-based concoction, was distracting and overwrought in its presentation. My grilled giannone chicken was tasty, as were the heirloom carrots; but the service and attitude could be better. I am always on time, but my friend was caught in traffic, Ten minutes past my reservation time, I alerted the staff that she would be another few minutes. I was immediately told that my table was recommitted and was directed to a two-top by the bar as an alternative. As I waited for my guest there, the waitstaff hovered over me, constantly asking if I wanted to order. Diminished my overall enjoyment as a result. Not sure if I'll return.Special Features:
- mehsylkVIPDined on 7/29/2014Given the hubbub, I was expecting better. The menu didn't wow me considering we're in the height of growing season. I'll stick with Ribelle; never disappointed me yet.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We were the first to dine that evening so it felt like we were in a private dining room! Once the restaurant filled up, it became noisier and a little difficult to talk. We did feel that the menu was limited in selection and a little heavy for the time of year.
- Very creative food presentationRgskDined on 7/27/2014Food was excellent. Very creative pairings and presentations.The noise level is high. Could barely hear myself from across the table. Not for a romantic evening but would recommend a group dining opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.