755 Beacon Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sycamorenewton.com/
- Phone: 6172444445x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Snacks until 11:30pm Tuesday-Sunday; Bar open until 12:00am Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Punch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Big Trouble in Little Sycamore is an ongoing series every Monday night from 9:00pm - 11:30pm. Sous Chef Daniel Scott serves up his house ramen and a rotating selection of Asian soul food. All seats for Big Trouble in Little Sycamore are first-come, first-serve.
- Cross Street: Langley Road and Sumner Street
- Public Transit: We are located across the street from the Newton Centre Green Line T Stop. When you exit the station, turn right on to Union Street. Beacon Street and Sycamore Restaurant can be seen directly across from the park.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking along Beacon Street and 1-2 hour parking on nearby side streets. There is also a public lot between Beacon Street and Langley Road. Most meters in the area shut off at 6:00pm.
The private lots behind the restaurant and adjacent buildings are not Sycamore's own and are not recommended for parking. Cars may be towed from these lots.
A word from Sycamore
Sycamore is a seasonally inspired, chef-owned neighborhood bistro in Newton Centre. Emphasizing locally sourced produce, fish and meat, our menu draws on classic European country food; rustic and wholesome. Our beverage program is designed to complement the cuisine. The wine list focuses on passionate small producers, our beers are by and large domestic craft selections and the cocktail list highlights classic drinks and sipping spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sycamore - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Sycamore reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)neighborhood gem (129)special occasion (67)romantic (41)notable wine list (37)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just as good the 2nd time!PeteeyeVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was our second time at Sycamore and it was just as delicious as the first. How nice it is when a restaurant lives up to your memory! I think this is quickly becoming our go to date night restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The carrot appetizer was sensational. Fish cakes were very good but not exceptional like the carrots. Excellent, pleasant service without an arrogant attitude. This is an all around great restaurant. The menu changes often so it doesn't get boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014We eat here a lot and have yet to be disappointed. On this occasions, all of our dishes were outstanding and our waiter was very good. The mushroom and leek pot pie was amazing, and the whole wheat tagliatelle with ragu was delicious.Special Features:
- Absolutely no down side.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Sycamore is a perennial favorite that continues to improve with every visit. Duck sausages, Skate wings and seafood cakes were all outstanding. Service was great; casual and professional without any intrusion. Our server was very comfortable with the menu and had no problem offering cocktail and wine suggestions that were spot on. Pear tart for dessert was a perfect close to a perfect meal and a perfect overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!alalalalalalewifeDined on 10/16/2014I read a lot of really good reviews for this place, and decided to take my girlfriend for a special occasion. The restaurant was packed, but the tables are spaced very well. The drinks were amazing, the food came quickly and tasted great. We had the pig board, 3 preparations using pork. It was creative, well portioned, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous meal, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Stupendous farm to table food. The best service I have had in recent years at a Boston area restaurant. Great vegetarian (root pot pie) and fish options.Special Features:
- even betterdoctorwindVIPDined on 10/9/2014Been here a couple times but seems to have gotten much better. Food very good, appetizers better than entrees but quite good. Hip hooray for good local newton restaraunt.Special Features:
- Fabulous mealFoodieDined on 10/9/2014This place is perfect for foodies! Everything is fresh, tasty and each dish has a beautiful presentation. Highlights include the pumpkin soup, carrots with a walnut miso purée with other mystery toppings, halibu over fennel and incredible peanut butter caramel sauce paired with either bread pudding or beignets. The dark chocolate eclairs were outstanding! Share your dishes to experience this outstanding restaurant!!! Reservations are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and great atmosphereWorldTravelerDined on 10/8/2014Every time I have eaten at Sycamore, the meal has been a success regardless of what I order. This time my colleague had the tuna ahi appetizer and halibit, which were excellent. I had the pumpkin soup, which had a lovely flavor and the fishcakes which were scrumptious. My husband had the pumpkin soup and sausage. The service was timely and informative (available but not overbearing). The night was a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem!judeDined on 10/5/2014sycamore is an all-around pleaser. the menu is very creative and the food, itself, is amazing. taste combinations are brilliant and presentation is beautiful. staff are eager to help you and take great care of you. we love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014I've been to this restaurant a number of times and it is consistently excellent with a varied menu, interesting wine selection and knowledgeable staff. It's a lot of fun.Special Features:
- BerkerycVIPDined on 10/2/2014We waited about 30 mins for a table even though we had a reservation, which was frustrating, but the bar & wait staff was great and good was good. Nice spot.
- Great, inventive foodurbangardener1Dined on 10/2/2014For a person who is not much of a meat eater I found plenty to interest my palate at Sycamore, even with its fairly limited menu. I had the spicy vegetable pancake, which was light and ethereal and full of big flavors hard to define. Delicious and not something I would ever make at home. The Cabernet by the glass (Sharecroppers from The Columbia River valley) was so good I went searching for it on line. My companion had the roast chicken which was done to perfection but not necessarily something we couldn't do at home. The 4 folks at the next table had the charcouterie of pork, etc and seemed to love it. Chacque a son gout! Prices were on the high side but not wildly out of scale for the popularity of the place. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish they'd move next door to meDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014Well, here's another really good reason to live in Newton, as if they needed more. What about the rest of us in other suburbs? Why no Sycamore here? Delicious, unpretentious, food. Well crafted cocktails. Delightful service. We were dining early - very early. So perhaps our experience of the service was a bit more relaxed than if we'd arrived at a busier time. Not sure. But on this occasion, the service was gracious, relaxed, genuinely friendly, well-informed, attentive but not intrusive. Professional. Not typically suburban. As to the food - their baba was fantastic with a real char on it and seasoned beautifully - served with nice hot-off-the-griddle flat-bread points. The Pig Platter was worthy of the pig, and our pig-out.Special Features:
- Get RealLadyDined on 9/30/2014Noise level was annoyingly loud, not "energetic." Detracted from the experience. Also, it's annoying that your rating choices don't permit a negative opinion on noise level. Unless everyone else understands that "energetic" is code for "too loud for reasonable conversation, making for a lot of irritation and stress."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find in Newton CenterdrpombeDined on 9/30/2014This was our first time to Sycamore's and it will not be our last. They have an excellent selection of wines and beers. The pumpkin soup was amazing. We had three different main courses among the four of us. Everyone was pleased with both the quality of the food and the portions (not too big, but not one of those fancy restaurants that gives you a minuscule entree. Desserts were also excellent and substantial (probably should have shared them).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodtessDined on 9/27/2014The first thing I noticed about the restaurant is that was particularly small, including the bar size. It is a must to have a reservation or don't bother taking the trip to come here. The service was good and the food was delicious! Two of us had the herb chicken which was so moist and flavorful and the roasted potatoes, just as tasty. The skirt steak was over the top yummy as well! We didn't try the dessert since we were on our way out to have our favorite espresso martinis which they were unable to make at their bar. Overall, if you are a foodie this might be the place for you!Special Features:
- Outstanding foodLolloDined on 9/24/2014Sycamore is a small restaurant in Newton Center. We've been to this place few times and we've never been disappointed! Food is absolutely amazing, prob the best in the area. The menu is seasonal so it changes constantly but personally that's a plus. I strongly recommend the "board", a great selection of specific meat or fish prepared in different ways, sometimes it's lamb, sometimes, fish, last time I went was pig. Delicious!! Great wine list and service! Reservation is a must even on week days as place is small and always busy. At the same time very quiet and cozy. Prob not great for kids though. Last note is that Sycamore is a little on the high end when it comes to price but considering the quality, it's so worth it!! Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Delicious!!!Honest89Dined on 9/23/2014Incredible food!!! Small menu (which is always a plus) ... A must try.. Service could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodToniottDined on 9/22/2014Work dinner with manager and an out-of-town guest from Europe. Sycamore did not disappoint. First thing I noticed was that the menu was completely different (completely!) from the last time I was there, about 5-6 months prior. Made a joke about never ordering chicken when I go out, and the waiter said their chicken was to die for. So, I ordered the chicken, and it was FANTASTIC. Best chicken ever. Tomato soup with mini, super-crunchy croutons to start was terrific. Server gave our guest a good beer rec and let us sample the house red. We split the huckleberry buckle for dessert, which was just perfect. It's a little loud in there, but otherwise completely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Bartender/Great FoodStuzziDined on 9/21/2014This is our go-to neighborhood restaurant. The food is always delicious and we love to sit at the bar. Scott makes the best drinks you can find anywhere. 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals EVER!!!yodadDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding food!!! Excellent service! Not stuffy AT ALL! We had the 'Pork Board' - absolutely incredible!!! Broiled oysters (app) were terrific. Only down side is that, while very tasty, the fried green tomatoes had too much breading -- could've been a bit 'lighter'. Areas for 'improvement': - Expand their beer selection - especially on tap - Offer another choice or two of chocolate desserts - there was only one (chocolate eclairs) - The complimentary bread should be served warm Right now (9/14) the only comparable places we've been to in the Metro Boston area are Bergamot and Craigie on Main. We can't wait to return for more!Special Features:
- Worth the waiteddinesoutDined on 9/19/2014A crowded bar and very limited waiting space are the price you pay for eating in this popular Newton Center hotspot; it's a small price. Sycamore's creative dishes are always farm-, orchard-, or water fresh. The chef creates complex dishes with wonderful balance. Dinner at the bar is a joy, and Scott is a one-man show. Despite the tight quarters, a friendly, professional, yet always down-to-earth staff navigate effortlessly through the crowds. I post this with ambivalence since I'm not interested in helping to create longer but well deserved waits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newton2melissaDined on 9/19/2014I have been to the sycamore at least 4 times but this visit was the best yet. Pig board was fabulous! Two of us spilt and third person ordered the corn pancakes-- delicious too. Desserts were both amazingly tasty-- we had the pear and huckleberry. service wonderful. felt like we were the only ones in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold, chewy steak.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Great app and dessert, friendly service, lovely space, but unfortunately a terrible main. Steak was awful quality, cold and chewy. Took 45 mins to prepare, and we were all very disappointed. Will not be back.
- Business Dinnervr142Dined on 9/17/2014Went to Sycamore with my boss and a coworker. None of us had ever been before. The food is some of the best I have had outside of the top end restaurants in Boston and Cambridge, and the prices are very reasonable considering the quality and creativity of the food. Also our waiter was wonderful, he made a couple of great recomendations on food and wine, and was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the menu. Definitely the best bang for your buck I have found in the Greater Boston area. I will absolutely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably good and creative foodEdpiterDined on 9/12/2014I am a foodie. And I and my friends have absolutely enjoyed the meal, the drinks and the desert. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I found it overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014The service was very good. The food was more than decent, but not great. The noise level was way too high. I expected the restaurant to knock my socks off, and it definitely didn'tSpecial Features:
- MiddlingTrauteDined on 9/9/2014The place is very small and currently quite popular. It seemed that the staff was intent on fast turnover. While fast service is good, there is a fine line to being made to feel hurried. The food is o.k. but not outstanding. When we asked for more bread when the main dishes arrived, the staff put a slice on our dinner plate. Where they running low on bread plates?Special Features:
- Nice and cozyGaussDined on 9/8/2014We went for dinner on a Monday evening and everything turned out fantastic. Table was ready sharply at 8, noise was reasonable (although I could see why other reviews complained about it) and food and wine were excellent. Offer someaht limited, sure, but sort of expected for a little restaurant. Fresh local product, very well cooked and with a hint of fusion-cuisine (curries, sweet and sour twists, old world croquettes...). Overall, a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Meal!PeteeyeVIPDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I ate here for the first time and absolutely loved the experience. Everything was top-notched -- we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Top 5 in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014If this place were in Cambridge you'd never be able to get in. Food is outstanding. Excellent cocktails. Chill vibe.Special Features:
- Great Food and StaffRugbyLawDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I recently celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at Sycamore and we had a wonderful time. Everything from the ambiance to the food to the staff was perfect. It is clear that they take great pride in the front and back of the house and really want to make each visit memorable. Everything from the complimentary champagne to start the meal, to the perfectly cooked food (we had the ribs and the steak) made our trip to Sycamore an anniversary dinner to remember.Special Features:
- Fun DinnerSB4diningVIPDined on 9/3/2014Tried Sycamore for an early dinner. Matt waited on us and he was awesome. We tried different items and all were delicious. The ceviche was amazing and the ribs were so tender they were falling off the bone. We had the steak and pozole and both were excellent. We would definately go back the next time we are in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Loved the food --- everything we ate was yummy! Bluefish pate and fattoush salad were terrific starters. Farmer's board was outstanding!Special Features:
- Always exceeding expectationsProfessionalEaterDined on 9/2/2014Sycamore has got to be the best restaurant in Boston. I've eaten at O Ya, No. 9, etc. and they don't shake a stick to what Chef Punch and Zach are working up. Always order pasta if it's on the menu. And the board for two (no matter what version - you won't be disappointed). Scott the bar manager also kills it with the cocktails - ask him for a suggestion if you're unsure.Special Features:
- Great restaurantJessVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was very nice: service, cocktails, wine, food, and ambiance. Pickles were great, ceviche and peach salad (sans coppa) were quite nice, and farm board had lots of delicious options. Would definitely come back, though having lots of good restaurants closer to us, probably won't be soon. We were very happy with sycamore and would certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful - Highly RecommendedOrrerrificVIPDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful place- great attentive service, superb food and a welcoming atmosphere. Definitely a keeper !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!NiceNicoleDined on 8/27/2014We absolutely loved our meal at Sycamore and the service was excellent. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 visits, 2 great nightspb901Dined on 8/27/2014Welcoming, knowledgable and attentive staff, greeted by visible owner/chef, great food - blood sausage fantastic. Returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.