755 Beacon Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sycamorenewton.com/
- Phone: (617) 244-4445
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Snacks until 11:30pm Tuesday-Sunday; Bar open until 12:00am Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Punch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Big Trouble in Little Sycamore is an ongoing series every Monday night from 9:00pm - 11:30pm. Sous Chef Daniel Scott serves up his house ramen and a rotating selection of Asian soul food. All seats for Big Trouble in Little Sycamore are first-come, first-serve.
- Cross Street: Langley Road and Sumner Street
- Public Transit: We are located across the street from the Newton Centre Green Line T Stop. When you exit the station, turn right on to Union Street. Beacon Street and Sycamore Restaurant can be seen directly across from the park.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking along Beacon Street and 1-2 hour parking on nearby side streets. There is also a public lot between Beacon Street and Langley Road. Most meters in the area shut off at 6:00pm.
The private lots behind the restaurant and adjacent buildings are not Sycamore's own and are not recommended for parking. Cars may be towed from these lots.
A word from Sycamore
Sycamore is a seasonally inspired, chef-owned neighborhood bistro in Newton Centre. Emphasizing locally sourced produce, fish and meat, our menu draws on classic European country food; rustic and wholesome. Our beverage program is designed to complement the cuisine. The wine list focuses on passionate small producers, our beers are by and large domestic craft selections and the cocktail list highlights classic drinks and sipping spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sycamore - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Sycamore reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (143)special occasion (72)notable wine list (41)romantic (37)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (9)good for groups (7)Show More
- Best food in NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2014Loved our waiter who got to know us and was great with recommendations. Loved the food and the novelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemSticksDined on 11/14/2014If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you will not be disappointed. We tried for months and could only get a reservation for 5:45 or 9 pm, so when we snagged one for 6, we leapt. We had a delicious dinner of charcuterie appetizer. Entrees were Faroe salmon and roasted duck - both FABULOUS. We like that local providers are being used for their produce. Our server was delightful in pairing wine with what we like to drink and with our food selections. We can't wait to go back and just wish this 11 table restaurant had more openings for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceFussyDined on 11/10/2014The only good thing I can say about sycamore on the night we were there is the waiter was terrific. The noise level was so high that our party of six could barely converse. The food was ok. My swordfish was over- salted. We have been to Sycamore before and were very disappointed this night. We will not return.
- Food was AMAZING!KKnowsFoodDined on 11/10/2014Though I am gluten free and would have appreciated being able to have gluten free bread when my partner was served regular bread - I am still giving this place 5 Stars. The food was outstanding. Service could have been a little quicker but the staff was very pleasant. I am going back for sure!Special Features:
- A gemMarkDined on 11/9/2014We had already been to Sycamore once before and loved the meal and the service so we decided to have a small birthday celebration there. We were not disappointed. It will now be our new special occasion restaurant. If you go in pairs you have to try whatever "board" for 2 they have on the menu. So far we've had the pork and the duck. The only risk is you can't stop eating! Excellent drinks selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and frieendlyKirasamiVIPDined on 11/9/2014We reserved at Sycamore, on a tight schedule, knowing we had only a little over an hour for dinner. Staff were very accommodating, food was very very good. The entire experience was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014Again, an enjoyable meal and time at Sycamore. We brought a friend, who had not been yet, and she loved her food, the wine, and our waiter. We were glad "the board" was duck. Yummy!Special Features:
- excellent bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014excellent food. excellent service. a delightful meal. open kitchen, bare floor, bare tables, bare walls . . . . noise level was high enough that it made it difficult to hold a conversationI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/31/2014I was looking forward to the green circle chicken; however, it was overcooked. The Moroccan spices were not really evident. My husband enjoeyed the pork special. Maybe it was an of night because it was Halloween.
- Great first time visitStinkinbadgesDined on 10/30/2014Pumpkin soups was light and delicate, one of the best I have ever had. Service was attentive, friendly and very helpful with the menu and bar items. Highly recommend ending the night with "The Revolver"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodMrlowpostDined on 10/26/2014Sharing menu was excellent. Might have included a salad or additional greens for the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Lee123VIPDined on 10/25/2014This is the second time I have eaten at Sycamore. My husband and I were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary. As soon as we were seated the waiter came over with a complementary glass of Champagne for us to toast our special day. The food, service and our evening was delicious and wonderful! Lee123Special Features:
- Consistently goodjamesVIPDined on 10/25/2014Every time I return to this restaurant my regard increases. It's particularly nice that it is reasonably close to my home, because it surpasses the "top spots" downtown that require an awkward commute and difficult parking. Getting reservations for larger parties is somewhat problematic, but a table for two is not that bad. The food is a touch on the heavy side, but it is absolutely delicious. The wine list is pleasantly idiosyncratic. You can easily find something very worthwhile to add to your wine-tasting dimensions. The head waiter knows his products well and it a big help in picking. I still wish they'd get an espresso machine, but their regular coffee fare is quite good.Special Features:
- Great spot for a great mealChicagoMomVIPDined on 10/23/2014Newton is lucky to have such a wonderful restaurant in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointslolamadigan123VIPDined on 10/22/2014always makes my friends happy that they came out here from Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive and interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2014Very nice collection of menu choices, and overall a very inventive mix of flavourings. Well prepared - nice ambiance - pretty good wine list. A very nice addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Needs a more accessible menuKoreanderVIPDined on 10/21/2014I've been to Sycamore a few times and the food, service and ambiance are consistently excellent. My one issue is the menu. While I appreciate the cachet of having an haute cuisine, artsy menu, Sycamore's menu is a little too food-forward for its own good. That night, my husband and I looked at the menu and realized that there was nothing on the menu that either of us really wanted to eat so we left. Usually I can find one or two things that I'd like to try, and admit that I don't necessarily have the most sophisticated palate, but that night nothing was appealing. I think that it would help to broaden the menu by simplifying some of the dishes. I would definitely go back again but would check out the menu before making the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good the 2nd time!PeteeyeVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was our second time at Sycamore and it was just as delicious as the first. How nice it is when a restaurant lives up to your memory! I think this is quickly becoming our go to date night restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The carrot appetizer was sensational. Fish cakes were very good but not exceptional like the carrots. Excellent, pleasant service without an arrogant attitude. This is an all around great restaurant. The menu changes often so it doesn't get boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014We eat here a lot and have yet to be disappointed. On this occasions, all of our dishes were outstanding and our waiter was very good. The mushroom and leek pot pie was amazing, and the whole wheat tagliatelle with ragu was delicious.Special Features:
- Absolutely no down side.Oysterman1Dined on 10/17/2014Sycamore is a perennial favorite that continues to improve with every visit. Duck sausages, Skate wings and seafood cakes were all outstanding. Service was great; casual and professional without any intrusion. Our server was very comfortable with the menu and had no problem offering cocktail and wine suggestions that were spot on. Pear tart for dessert was a perfect close to a perfect meal and a perfect overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!alalalalalalewifeDined on 10/16/2014I read a lot of really good reviews for this place, and decided to take my girlfriend for a special occasion. The restaurant was packed, but the tables are spaced very well. The drinks were amazing, the food came quickly and tasted great. We had the pig board, 3 preparations using pork. It was creative, well portioned, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous meal, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014Stupendous farm to table food. The best service I have had in recent years at a Boston area restaurant. Great vegetarian (root pot pie) and fish options.Special Features:
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2014I love this place. The menu changes quite frequently, but there are always great options and good variety with lots of seasonal offerings, inventive preparatios, and great execution. The sservice is always helpful and the wine list is eclectic but good and reasonably priced. The cocktails are great too and the main bartender Scott is inventive at making anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- even betterdoctorwindVIPDined on 10/9/2014Been here a couple times but seems to have gotten much better. Food very good, appetizers better than entrees but quite good. Hip hooray for good local newton restaraunt.Special Features:
- Fabulous mealFoodieDined on 10/9/2014This place is perfect for foodies! Everything is fresh, tasty and each dish has a beautiful presentation. Highlights include the pumpkin soup, carrots with a walnut miso purée with other mystery toppings, halibu over fennel and incredible peanut butter caramel sauce paired with either bread pudding or beignets. The dark chocolate eclairs were outstanding! Share your dishes to experience this outstanding restaurant!!! Reservations are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and great atmosphereWorldTravelerDined on 10/8/2014Every time I have eaten at Sycamore, the meal has been a success regardless of what I order. This time my colleague had the tuna ahi appetizer and halibit, which were excellent. I had the pumpkin soup, which had a lovely flavor and the fishcakes which were scrumptious. My husband had the pumpkin soup and sausage. The service was timely and informative (available but not overbearing). The night was a success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem!judeDined on 10/5/2014sycamore is an all-around pleaser. the menu is very creative and the food, itself, is amazing. taste combinations are brilliant and presentation is beautiful. staff are eager to help you and take great care of you. we love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014I've been to this restaurant a number of times and it is consistently excellent with a varied menu, interesting wine selection and knowledgeable staff. It's a lot of fun.Special Features:
- BerkerycVIPDined on 10/2/2014We waited about 30 mins for a table even though we had a reservation, which was frustrating, but the bar & wait staff was great and good was good. Nice spot.
- Great, inventive foodurbangardener1Dined on 10/2/2014For a person who is not much of a meat eater I found plenty to interest my palate at Sycamore, even with its fairly limited menu. I had the spicy vegetable pancake, which was light and ethereal and full of big flavors hard to define. Delicious and not something I would ever make at home. The Cabernet by the glass (Sharecroppers from The Columbia River valley) was so good I went searching for it on line. My companion had the roast chicken which was done to perfection but not necessarily something we couldn't do at home. The 4 folks at the next table had the charcouterie of pork, etc and seemed to love it. Chacque a son gout! Prices were on the high side but not wildly out of scale for the popularity of the place. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish they'd move next door to meDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014Well, here's another really good reason to live in Newton, as if they needed more. What about the rest of us in other suburbs? Why no Sycamore here? Delicious, unpretentious, food. Well crafted cocktails. Delightful service. We were dining early - very early. So perhaps our experience of the service was a bit more relaxed than if we'd arrived at a busier time. Not sure. But on this occasion, the service was gracious, relaxed, genuinely friendly, well-informed, attentive but not intrusive. Professional. Not typically suburban. As to the food - their baba was fantastic with a real char on it and seasoned beautifully - served with nice hot-off-the-griddle flat-bread points. The Pig Platter was worthy of the pig, and our pig-out.Special Features:
- Get RealLadyDined on 9/30/2014Noise level was annoyingly loud, not "energetic." Detracted from the experience. Also, it's annoying that your rating choices don't permit a negative opinion on noise level. Unless everyone else understands that "energetic" is code for "too loud for reasonable conversation, making for a lot of irritation and stress."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find in Newton CenterdrpombeDined on 9/30/2014This was our first time to Sycamore's and it will not be our last. They have an excellent selection of wines and beers. The pumpkin soup was amazing. We had three different main courses among the four of us. Everyone was pleased with both the quality of the food and the portions (not too big, but not one of those fancy restaurants that gives you a minuscule entree. Desserts were also excellent and substantial (probably should have shared them).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodtessDined on 9/27/2014The first thing I noticed about the restaurant is that was particularly small, including the bar size. It is a must to have a reservation or don't bother taking the trip to come here. The service was good and the food was delicious! Two of us had the herb chicken which was so moist and flavorful and the roasted potatoes, just as tasty. The skirt steak was over the top yummy as well! We didn't try the dessert since we were on our way out to have our favorite espresso martinis which they were unable to make at their bar. Overall, if you are a foodie this might be the place for you!Special Features:
- Outstanding foodLolloDined on 9/24/2014Sycamore is a small restaurant in Newton Center. We've been to this place few times and we've never been disappointed! Food is absolutely amazing, prob the best in the area. The menu is seasonal so it changes constantly but personally that's a plus. I strongly recommend the "board", a great selection of specific meat or fish prepared in different ways, sometimes it's lamb, sometimes, fish, last time I went was pig. Delicious!! Great wine list and service! Reservation is a must even on week days as place is small and always busy. At the same time very quiet and cozy. Prob not great for kids though. Last note is that Sycamore is a little on the high end when it comes to price but considering the quality, it's so worth it!! Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Delicious!!!Honest89Dined on 9/23/2014Incredible food!!! Small menu (which is always a plus) ... A must try.. Service could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodToniottDined on 9/22/2014Work dinner with manager and an out-of-town guest from Europe. Sycamore did not disappoint. First thing I noticed was that the menu was completely different (completely!) from the last time I was there, about 5-6 months prior. Made a joke about never ordering chicken when I go out, and the waiter said their chicken was to die for. So, I ordered the chicken, and it was FANTASTIC. Best chicken ever. Tomato soup with mini, super-crunchy croutons to start was terrific. Server gave our guest a good beer rec and let us sample the house red. We split the huckleberry buckle for dessert, which was just perfect. It's a little loud in there, but otherwise completely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Bartender/Great FoodStuzziDined on 9/21/2014This is our go-to neighborhood restaurant. The food is always delicious and we love to sit at the bar. Scott makes the best drinks you can find anywhere. 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals EVER!!!yodadDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding food!!! Excellent service! Not stuffy AT ALL! We had the 'Pork Board' - absolutely incredible!!! Broiled oysters (app) were terrific. Only down side is that, while very tasty, the fried green tomatoes had too much breading -- could've been a bit 'lighter'. Areas for 'improvement': - Expand their beer selection - especially on tap - Offer another choice or two of chocolate desserts - there was only one (chocolate eclairs) - The complimentary bread should be served warm Right now (9/14) the only comparable places we've been to in the Metro Boston area are Bergamot and Craigie on Main. We can't wait to return for more!Special Features: