755 Beacon Street
Newton, MA 02459Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sycamorenewton.com/
- Phone: 6172444445x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm (Big Trouble in Little Sycamore: 9:00pm - 11:30pm); Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Snacks until 11:30pm Tuesday-Sunday; Bar open until 12:00am Every Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Punch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Big Trouble in Little Sycamore is an ongoing series every Monday night from 9:00pm - 11:30pm. Sous Chef Daniel Scott serves up his house ramen and a rotating selection of Asian soul food. All seats for Big Trouble in Little Sycamore are first-come, first-serve.
- Cross Street: Langley Road and Sumner Street
- Public Transit: We are located across the street from the Newton Centre Green Line T Stop. When you exit the station, turn right on to Union Street. Beacon Street and Sycamore Restaurant can be seen directly across from the park.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking along Beacon Street and 1-2 hour parking on nearby side streets. There is also a public lot between Beacon Street and Langley Road. Most meters in the area shut off at 6:00pm.
The private lots behind the restaurant and adjacent buildings are not Sycamore's own and are not recommended for parking. Cars may be towed from these lots.
A word from Sycamore
Sycamore is a seasonally inspired, chef-owned neighborhood bistro in Newton Centre. Emphasizing locally sourced produce, fish and meat, our menu draws on classic European country food; rustic and wholesome. Our beverage program is designed to complement the cuisine. The wine list focuses on passionate small producers, our beers are by and large domestic craft selections and the cocktail list highlights classic drinks and sipping spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Sycamore - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Sycamore reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (138)neighborhood gem (130)special occasion (66)romantic (39)notable wine list (38)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delicious!NiceNicoleDined on 8/27/2014We absolutely loved our meal at Sycamore and the service was excellent. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many surprisesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014Many surprises and no real disappointments (unless you consider espresso to finish a great meal essential at a restaurant of this quality). The blending of North African and Middle Eastern spices (chermoula and fish!) and condiments (roasted carrots in labneh!) with French technique is a great touch. The flavors were perfectly layered and the farm fresh ingredients were made to shine.Special Features:
- Lovely in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I requested a quiet table and was seated by the window. Really appreciated that consideration. Even after the restaurant filled up, the noise level was OK. The vegetarian main course was delicious and beautiful. Loved that there is a house wine option available by glass and carafe, and the rest of the wine list looked inviting. The service was perfect, very helpful and understated. It was refreshing that my dinner companion and I were not addressed as "you ladies" all evening. I will look forward to returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- AllUrBassVIPDined on 8/22/2014amazing food and innovative bar program. menu rotates frequently and have never had a bad or even mediocre dish. bar staff great at tailoring drinks to specific tastes. my only wish is that there were a few more seats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent fresh simple & creativeJBtableVIPDined on 8/22/2014Neighborhood gem: always fresh simple and creative food with big taste. Wonderful bluefish pate appetizer, very creative and fresh salads; entrees delicious (specially the fish & braised dishes); dessert menu has improved; the sweet corn ice-cream brought back wonderful childhood memories of summer beach vacations; service is excelente; staff highly trained; Cons: lacks an espresso bar & hard to get a reservation on weekends; small restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014High quality food served in fresh ways. Decent value. Fun yet knowledgeable waitstaff. Great drinks menu. A win for Newton Centre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Happy25thDined on 8/19/2014My husband and I went to Sycamore for our 25th Anniversary dinner because of good reviews we'd seen. When I made the reservation I mentioned the special occasion. After we were seated the waitress poured us flutes of complimentary champagne. Nice touch! The food was interesting and delicious, the staff very attentive but not overwhelming. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Just greatGarpDined on 8/11/2014Perfect dinner from apps to desert. Service was ideal, there when needle but not intrusive. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local food and serviceKaleLoverDined on 8/11/2014Got there at 5 on a Monday night, didn't full up till 6/6:30. Very attentive staff, nice atmosphere. The food menu is slightly limited, but everything sounds amazing and the two apps and mains we had were all superb (greens salad, fattoush, kielbabsa, and corn cakes). I don't drink, but there were 4 pages of wine, and 1 of beer and cider (1 for food), so I would assume there was something there for most. Definitely made it onto the list of places to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!MG0384Dined on 8/10/2014We've been here twice now and both times were excellent. Everything was delicous from cocktails to dessert. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014repeated visits have consistently left me with the impression that both food and service are outstanding. It is a bit noisy but not intolerableSpecial Features:
- WonderfulmarieDined on 8/6/2014It was my second time here, and both times the wait staff was genuinely warm and welcoming. We had Olivia as our server and she was amazing--attentive, knowledgable, and funny. The food was great, as expected. The only complaint we had was with the small portions (in comparison to the prices), but I guess that's expected when going to an upscale restaurant in Newton Centre. The drinks and desserts were also yummy!Special Features:
- SycamoresushiVIPDined on 8/3/2014As always the food was wonderful!! Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh farm to table vibeJBtableVIPDined on 8/1/2014Clams was a wonderful appetizer, green salad simple and great light dressing; scallops night special was delicious, a lot of taste and perfect consistency . Peach tart has the perfect crushSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston's South End Comes to NewtonSplewisVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great spot for the suburbs. Outstanding food (moderatedly price) and great drink specials. Friendly service (especially at the bar). The restaurant is relatively small and seating is a little tight for my liking, but the atmosphere is great otherwise. Clever dishes that explode with flavors. Certainly on par or exceding any "fit for foodie" restaurant in Boston's South End without the hassle of finding a parking spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Great presentation, great service, great menu, everything was A++++++++Special Features:
- Superstar!FoodFanaticVIPDined on 7/31/2014Best meal I've had in a long time. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing neighborhood restaurantLauraDined on 7/30/2014Sycamore is a rare restaurant that continues to provide a new selection of dishes from the simple to the more complex that are all amazing!Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceDaveHDined on 7/30/2014We went on a Wednesday night and the place was packed. My wife wanted some clams and there weren't any on the app menu but, since we saw them as part of the Fish Board, asked if we could have a portion. The waiter checked with the kitchen and then we were served the most delicious clams in a tasty aeoli broth with grilled bread. The bass entrée was perfectly cooked with crisp skin and savory vegetables. The vegetarian corn pancakes were also flavorful with a nice sauce. The service was attentive and the servers and chefs were flexible with both our entrée request and a special request on desert. Only downside is that the restaurant is on the noisy side.Special Features:
- SuperbDrAudioVIPDined on 7/30/2014Every time we've been to Sycamore the dining experience has been superb. The last time was with friends to celebrate our anniversary. The attention of our servers was outstanding and the food was delicious and uniquely prepared. Truly outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Metrowest findEditorGalDined on 7/30/2014Food and drink are good, although the craft drinks seemed creatively "forced." My Three Wise Men, a three-component tequila-based concoction, was distracting and overwrought in its presentation. My grilled giannone chicken was tasty, as were the heirloom carrots; but the service and attitude could be better. I am always on time, but my friend was caught in traffic, Ten minutes past my reservation time, I alerted the staff that she would be another few minutes. I was immediately told that my table was recommitted and was directed to a two-top by the bar as an alternative. As I waited for my guest there, the waitstaff hovered over me, constantly asking if I wanted to order. Diminished my overall enjoyment as a result. Not sure if I'll return.Special Features:
- mehsylkVIPDined on 7/29/2014Given the hubbub, I was expecting better. The menu didn't wow me considering we're in the height of growing season. I'll stick with Ribelle; never disappointed me yet.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We were the first to dine that evening so it felt like we were in a private dining room! Once the restaurant filled up, it became noisier and a little difficult to talk. We did feel that the menu was limited in selection and a little heavy for the time of year.
- Very creative food presentationRgskDined on 7/27/2014Food was excellent. Very creative pairings and presentations.The noise level is high. Could barely hear myself from across the table. Not for a romantic evening but would recommend a group dining opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent except...for conversationvozickDined on 7/26/2014Sycamore is a fantastic restaurant for food and service - just not for conversation. It is just too noisy. They have made a small attempt to reduce the sound by putting up ceiling tiles, but it is just not enough. We love going to this gem of a restaurant for a most flavorful and delicious dinner. Why can't they add some more sound deadening material to make it more comfortable? If only they would we would fill their tables many more times.Special Features:
- Special dinnerCantabridgianVIPDined on 7/24/2014Sycamore did not disappoint. The fattoush salad was inventive and fantastic -- I could eat it every day! The fish was crispy outside, moist inside. Nectarine upside-down cake with chamomile ice cream was pure perfection. Despite it's mundane setting in the middle of Newton Centre, Sycamore serves up amazing food. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plan far ahead to go here!TheStewardVIPDined on 7/20/2014There is a reason it is so hard to get a reservation here. The food is excellent. Dishes are interesting without being pretentious. Service is consistent with the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great food but very noisy.PeteDined on 7/16/2014We had to wait in a cramped area for over a half hour to be seated as the people before us took over 3 hours to give up the table. The noise levels are very high and the wall and ceiling surfaces have no accoustic qualities. Whilst the menu has a limited choice the food is excellent and the wine list and service good as well.Special Features:
- SpecialRebeccaVIPDined on 7/13/2014The food at Sycamore was outstanding as was the service. The hostess and waitress recommended several dishes to us, including a very fresh strawberry and pea salad and the fish board, both of which were superb. We will look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- I would eat here every nightshebobVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my second visit to Sycamore and I SOOO wish it were in my neighborhood. It would be my go-to. It was totally worth the hour drive in yucky traffic. The staff is warm and helpful, the room casual/chic, the food awesome. We had a pig trotter snack - little crispy porky croutons on a mystery sauce that the hubby practically licked off the plate. Crudite and smoked onion dip - very fresh tasting with interesting heirloom type veggies. A salad of baby kale, spiced cashews and sliced nectarines with buttermilk dressing that we could not believe was made up of so few ingredients it has so much flavor. For entrees we had swordfish with romesco sauce and grilled scallions, and a sea bass special. Both were great.Special Features:
- Excellent food and friendly servicehappyfrappyDined on 7/6/2014I enjoyed a great meal here with two of my friends. We were staying in Kenmore, and Sycamore was well worth the trip. We left stuffed and happy. Don't overlook the snacks - the chorizo croquettas were out of this world. We also especially loved the veal brisket.Special Features:
- Fabulous! Great experienceFredDined on 7/3/2014Everything was wonderful! We had the Bluefish Pate and a house made pasta appetizer. Both excellent. For entrees, I had the Striped Bass and my wife had the Chicken. We highly recommend both.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014Wonderful experience. Delicious food, excellent service, and the ambiance was great. We would recommend this restaurant as one of the best in the Boston area for its innovative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local fresh ingredientsCincySueDined on 7/1/2014Small menu but each dish was executed well. We went at 7:30 pm and got the last 2 trout entrees so diners who prefer to eat later may be disappointed. Wine by the taste, glass and bottle . I got to try more wines by choosing the taste size priced in the 2.50-3 range creating a custom wine flight. Pot a creme was incredible guilty pleasure as dessert. Reasonably priced for portions and quality. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SycamoreXxxxxxDined on 7/1/2014Second visit as good as the first. Creative and delicious cocktails. Staff well informed and efficient: work together to create and maintain a good experience. Small size and waiting crowds mean limited lingering allowed at table after meal. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/29/2014Sycamore was incredible. Set in an intimate setting, our waiter was friendly and attentive and helpful with our wine selection. The food (as always) was amazing from small plates to appetizers, dinner and dessert, the combination and flavors and the presentation was outstanding. When our waiter learned that we were having dinner there in celebration of our anniversary, he came out with two lovely glasses of Cava. This is truly a five start restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SycamoresushiVIPDined on 6/28/2014They do what they call boards that as the seasons change they change with them that are just fabulous!Special Features:
- Why must restauarnts be noisy?HatenoiseDined on 6/28/2014Had been there before when it was particularly noisy. Friends wanted to go there so we agreed. Because we were there early on a Saturday night it was not crowded and the noise level from talking was much better. However, the music (rather than the talking) was loud. We asked the waiter to turn I down so we could talk and she did do it. Food was good but not outstanding. We probably will not got back.
- Pluses and MinusesopinionatedchefDined on 6/26/2014This was our 4th visit in the last year. While many of the apps are strong and totally luscoius, we find the entrees less compelling. Minuses: First and foremost was the fussiness of the service. While the servers themselves are friendly and great, we felt that someone was ALWAYS there at our table, clearing silver or replacing silver (hate to see the waste of resources)or unnecess water filling; checking in w/us too often. Leave us alone and let us have a conversation! The croquetas and goug. are great; the zucch soup and snap pea w/ strawberrys overpriced. Ditto the daily Fish Board; the 'flavor enhancers' (tapenade etc) were all but one- v heavy on salt, and felt like $68 for two was just too high. we may wait before heading back soon.Special Features:
- SelectivedinerVIPDined on 6/25/2014The food was very good. Strawberries/snow peas salad particularly good. The noise level is a little too high (lots of hard surfaces) but very good food and great service. Not a place to have a quiet dinner or conversation.Special Features: