14 S Lansdowne Ave
Lansdowne, PA 19050Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sycamorebyo.com/
- Phone: 4844612867
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesdy - Friday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Jacobson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Private Room
- Catering: Sycamore is happy to cater events at your location. Please contact the restaurant for more infomation.
- Private Party Facilities: Sycamore can make either of two rooms available for private parties. Please contact the restaurant for more info.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Wagner 4844612967
A word from Sycamore BYOB
New American Cuisine with an emphasis at on local and seasonal ingredients. Our menu is compact and creative, and changes throughout the year to provide seasonally appropriate fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sycamore BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
- Never happened!JudyDined on 12/21/2013I am still waiting for an explanation of why the restaurant was closed, dark, locked, when we arrived for our appointed reservation. No one has responded to us with apology or explanation. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary, so this was doubly disappointing. I have written you about this, and you responded that you were checking into it, but we still have heard no explanation. Now I am getting angry..... What happened??Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2013We have driven past this place many times and decided to stop in to celebrate my husband's promotion. It was perfect! Loved everything about it especially the ambiance. The food was impressive and the $35 prix fixe menu was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great, and choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2013Food is great, and choice and level of background music is a major plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the best in Del Co!LansdinerVIPDined on 11/30/2013The (sort-of) new owner and chef are doing a great job. Menu changes a little week to week, which keeps it interesting, and the ambiance is still wonderful, especially with the second room open again. If you haven't been in awhile its definitely worth a trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-time patrongranfranDined on 11/16/2013From the moment we stepped into the restaurant, we noticed the friendly, casual atmosphere. Sycamore is a BYOB establishment, but they also provide fun "mixer concoctions' that work well with your favorite spirits. The menu is limited, but the dishes are creative and delicious, from the salad to the dessert. The scallops, on a bed of totally delectable corn-based veggie mix, melted in your mouth, with subtle seasonings and wonderful flavor. The tables are close; everyone is friendly. The service was great. A great place for a special date, a reunion of good friends, or, as we were, first time patrons looking for a new spot. The noise level was the problem. The restaurant acoustics couldn't handle the noise of a large party beside us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prefix - High yield but hit or missSycamoreFanDined on 11/10/2013I highly recommend a prefix dinner with friends to give you a chance to sample the menu. It's a great deal, with many courses of moderate portions. It's chef's choice, which is the only gamble because you can only cross your fingers and hope to get the Barneget Sea Scallops (which I am convinced is the best main course on the menu right now). The last time I dined we weren't as lucky. While the appetizers were great (crab cakes and a butternut squash soup) I was glad I had my memories to go on for the main. The Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast was bland, as were the potatoes and gravy. The Boneless Beef Short Ribs were cooked perfectly but the vegetable side was too salty. Next time, Crab cakes, Scallops, and flourless chocolate cake = happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice BYOBSarahHDined on 11/9/2013This is a nice restaurant to go for a BYOB dinner with a seasonal menu. The seating can be a bit tight and there's nothing overly special about the décor, but we had a good meal and enjoyed the cheese plate. It is not cheap but you get good food for the money - my husband really enjoyed the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ownership . Food isn'tcrphillyVIPDined on 11/2/2013New ownership . Food isn't nearly as good. $39 for a veal chop that was tough and chewy. Not sure I'll go back again and used to go here 4 times a year.
- One of my favorite restaurantsGailTCDined on 11/2/2013One of my favorite restaurants in the area. Food, service..... I am never disappointed when I go there. I only wish I could eat there a few times a week !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great little neighborhoodEllandHDined on 11/1/2013A great little neighborhood spot. This was our second visit in two months and this visit was every bit as outstanding as the first. From the Butternut Squash Soup to the flowerless chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and salted Carmel sauce to the steak and salmon in between... A wonderful dining experience. Treat yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem2YEARSAGODined on 10/27/2013We love it here and recommend it to all of our friends and family...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!DebiDined on 10/26/2013This is one of the best restaurants in Delaware Co. It's pricey but worth every penny. Also wonderful service. Best boneless shortribs ever.. Good seasonal fare.Special Features:
- A treat!surrey844Dined on 10/26/2013We received a gift certificate months ago and used it for our anniversary last Saturday night. We regret waiting so long! The menu offerings were unusual, and everything we chose was extremely flavorful. No complaints at all, just compliments. This will be one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally TerrificNurseLady57Dined on 10/20/2013My husband & I celebrated my birthday at Sycamore last year. We returned again this year & found it to be even better than our first visit ! Every course was superb. The prix fix is the best deal going. Our waiter was great. We will be back without waiting for another birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small town, big flavoratmytableDined on 10/13/2013Tucked into the tiny center of Lansdowne, this storefront BYO delivers big city goods. The menu is constantly moving to stay in tune with the seasons, and the chef and owner bring their A-game to every selection.wait staff is pleasant, the ambience intimate and warm. A perfect spot for impressing your boss, your date or your in-laws! Rather than being forced to choose just one, we went for the Sunday $35 prix-fixe chef tasting. Yummm! A cut above casual, so wear at least your best jeans or better.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerTravelerVIPDined on 10/12/2013Waiter was great as always. Food selection great but just didn't feel it was up to par compared to our earliest Sycamore experiences. Our first dining evenings with 1 st chef were surprising and great. The food was fine but wouldn't bring me back.Special Features:
- Great Meal!FoodLoverDined on 10/9/2013We loved our recent trip to Sycamore! The new owner is involved and enthusiastic, and the new chef is very creative and each dish was prepared perfectly. This place just keeps getting better! The Chef's Casual Prix Fixe was five very delicious, beautifully presented courses, and a huge value if you can make it for that Wednesday and Sunday night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too pricey for portionFood2luvDined on 10/5/2013The atmosphere and the food are great, however I felt the portion size was lacking for how expensive the entrees were. If cost is not an issue for you and you don't mind paying a little more, then you'll still get some great food with nice favors and a great atmosphere and its BYOB.
- Charming BYOBLove2dineDined on 10/5/2013We enjoyed our visit to Sycamore. The staff was friendly and very attentive. We tried several of the small plate offerings. The fusilli and sausage was delicious as well as the crab cakes. The cheese tray was beautiful and included some great accompaniments such as fig ja and drunken raisins. The creme brulee was to die for! We loved the cocktail mixers that were served in shakers. We just added our own vodka and had delicious drinks.Special Features:
- fantastic!phoodieDined on 10/4/2013Best dining experience I can remember. Excellent food at a reasonable price, this place is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sycamore - Place to take a friendECWardDined on 9/27/2013As Lansdowne residents we are proud that Sycamore is in our town. Whenever we have friends visiting from out of the area, especially when it is their first time in town we go to Sycamore. As soon as you walk in the atmosphere relaxes you. the staff is always relaxed but professional - this week the young lady waiting on us certainly added to the enjoinment of the evening. The menu always have interesting twist and more than pleasant surprises. An example is the Chef Salad - I ordered it because I just felt like a salad before the meal and didn't expect anything special - it was a combination of warmed wilted greens with cool greens a light addition of crisp bacon and very tasty dressing - I hope it stays on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost and FoundJeffJuleDined on 9/26/2013A bit out of the way, and I am not very familiar with the area. But the food was second to none, we were very impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my dinner group had a fantasticKeithDined on 9/22/2013my dinner group had a fantastic meal at Sycamore the other night. Surprisingly good food and great service. The chef even came out of the kitchen and sat with us for a while. I haven't had food this good in this area ever! I would recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, delicious foodMangiTCDined on 9/11/2013Always satisfied at Sycamore! Food is great and so is presentation. This visit had the cheese tray. Pear with mustard and wine...just superb! I had the ribeye steak with a fantastic glaze. My daughter had the scallops and every bite was yummy. So nice to have a place like Sycamore in the neighborhood to take unexpected guests to..... and you know it will be a great dining experience for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time...still a charm.DudeDined on 9/7/2013Excellent meals every time we eat here. Cheese tray was fantastic. By now my wife and I have tried almost everything on the menu and there has not been a "miss" yet. BYOB and the food deserves your good bottles. Can't wait to get back there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to SycamoreDrDessertDined on 9/1/2013After a hohum experience a numbers of months ago, we returned to Sycamore for our beloved Sunday tasting meal. Great news--the service, interesting cuisine, and good natured ambience are back to levels that we had experienced for a number of years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!luv2eatDined on 8/29/2013I love the feel of the place, food was amazing and cooked perfectly, service was excellent, loved every minute of my experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sycamore is a real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2013We had not been to Sycamore since the new chef started and it is still just as fabulous as ever. We had the prix fixe dinner on a Sunday night and enjoyed an array of gourmet delights including wild mushrooms on brioche, crabcake, spiced carrot bisque, fried chicken, a cheese course, bread pudding and a lemon square. Malisha, the new chef, is maintaining the high standards of this favorite byob, while making her own imprint. We loved our meal and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Food is always fresh and amazingAliNardDined on 8/17/2013I have been to Stcamore several times and each time is better then the last. You can tell The chef puts so much love into each plate. The food is fresh and the serving amount is just right. I would highly recommend the farmer's plate which includes cheese, meat, a d special garnishings. Plus, its s BYO which i love. I would highly recommend Sycamore to anyone, especially those who appreciate great food and lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've eaten at Sycamore aButtercupDined on 8/11/2013We've eaten at Sycamore a half-dozen times in the last two years and continue to be impressed. A couple of Sundays ago, we had the Sunday p-f menu (35 dollars a person) and enjoyed a pretty amazing five-course meal. Highlights included a pasta with sausage, sun dried tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cream sauce; crab cake with coconut and mango; salmon (cooked perfectly), cheese plate; and warm toffee pudding (stunningly good). Hard to imagine a better combo of excellent food + reasonable price than Sycamore's p-f menu.Special Features:
- It was absolutely deliciousgoddessVIPDined on 8/10/2013There were six in our party, from teenagers to grandparents, celebrating a 50th birthday. The food was local, fresh and beautifully prepared. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2013Had a great experience at Sycamore. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit different now but still a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2013This restaurant has changed quite a bit since changing chefs. The ambience and decor remain the same, but the food is simpler and unpretentious, yet very flavorful. The cuisine used to be more European influenced, but it is now "fine American bistro", as stated on the website. We did the Sunday prix fixe with 9 courses to share between the two of us. It was all delightful. Started with 2 different salads, then honey nut squash soup and a New Orleans po' boy, After that, skate, which is not my favorite fish, but this was done very well, and beef stir fry. While the stir fry was very flavorful, I was hoping for something a little less pedestrian. The Cheese plate was eclectic in variety, and the bread pudding for dessert was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemDateniteDined on 8/3/2013We love it! The food was terrific. The only thing that I would adjust is the table arrangement. The small tables on the right are really close together and it is difficult not to listen to other conversations. Also, no cork fee! This will be our new place, it beats beading into the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a gem!lekkerDined on 8/3/2013We love this low-key BYOB in our own lovely Lansdowne. The new chef is great and accommodates any dietary wishes. We will be coming back here regularly to have a cozy delicious evening out.Special Features:
- Still very goodchrispyVIPDined on 8/2/2013This is my first trip back to Sycamore in a while, since a new chef has taken over the kitchen. It is still very good and well worth it. We shared a dozen raw oysters, a bit unusual to find in these parts which were very fresh and served nice and cold. The rest of the dinner, including a rotelle pasta dish and an excellent steak were great. The bread pudding dessert, which I've had here before is still the best. Glad I finally made it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotKristinDined on 8/2/2013I can't believe this cute little spot is 10 minutes from my front door. The chef's tasting menu of new orleans inspired food had me feeling like i was in the French Quarter and by the 4th course i had to get my po' boy wrapped to go so i could enjoy the bread pudding that followed. Can't wait to make this our special occasion spot as well as our "treat your self" spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous (again!)minimom01Dined on 7/28/2013We had the chef's tasting -- fabulous, as always. Lovely service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedxxxxrayDined on 7/26/2013Made reservation based on high rating by Zagat's (28 for food). Upon arrival in rather down-scale neighborhood, interior was dark and very noisy. Paper napkins, not cloth. Menu print was so small it was hard to read. Took 2 tries to receive a bottle of water. Waitress brought the amuse bouche which was, get this, potato salad!!?? Menu looked uninspiring and waitress ignored us while tending to the noisy table behind us, so we left.
- Delicious Gem in Lansdowne!LovfinediningVIPDined on 7/25/2013Sycamore is not only a delicious gem for Lansdowne but also a delicious gem for Philadelphia and New York City! I have been to restaurants all over the world and Sycamore is right up there with the best of them. I have dined at this restaurant with my boyfriend, with friends and with family and they all remark about how delicious and unique the food is. I usually start off with the delectable cheese plate. The "drunken raisins" are divine! When I was there the other night with my father and my niece, we each had the salmon. All of the dishes are never just salmon or just anything. There is always the magic of some type of addition making the food heavenly. Thank you Sycamore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.