207 N Randall Rd
Batavia, IL 60510Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://swordfishsushi.com/
- Phone: 6304066463x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Swordfish
Swordfish – Running strong in its 9th year, first opened in Batavia in the spring of 2004. Swordfish is a contemporary sushi and grill restaurant that delivers fine dining at its best and leaves you with an experience that will have you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swordfish reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)romantic (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great service & food at Swordfish!BMS72Dined on 10/10/2014Great fresh seafood - if you can resist the sushi, try the Chilean Sea Bass entrée, it was delicious! We have had many great meals at Swordfish and the people that run the restaurant are very nice and treat us well when we dine there. A stop at Swordfish is highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner destination!rose2477Dined on 9/13/2014I love Swordfish! The sushi is excellent, and with great service and atmosphere it can't be beat. Some of my favorite rolls are: Turtle, Something Special, Crunchy, and Spicy Tuna. Everything is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014best in the far west suburbs. been going to swordfish since it opened, still the same quality and friendly ownership. prices are higher than others but you get what you pay for here.Special Features:
- Stunning PresentationLibbyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We all know, sushi isn't your least inexpensive way of dining. At Swordfish, they give you everything for your dollar. There are a lot of restaurants that will put together cute looking little dragons, turtles etc. At Swordfish, it is a full blown presentation. From the plates they use to how the ginger is shaved into a crane, they put a lot of hard word into perfecting each dish. This will always be my favorite sushi restaurant in the Fox Valley area!Special Features:
- great place for an occasion! !heyman8Dined on 8/26/2014I made a note on my own take reservation that my wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and they brought us some ice cream for dessert with a candle on top. Very sweet and thoughtful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableDebsVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is our local sushi restuarant which never fails for freshness and goodness. We always know we can expect a great night of sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Swordfish reviews archive.
- Celebration DinnerStCDGDined on 5/10/2014We went there for a celebration dinner with 7 of mixed ages on a Saturday night at 7 pm. For those that didn't want sushi, there were several options. The food was good and well presented. The beverages were also good, especially the bubble drinks mixed with fruit. We split a couple desserts to have a sweet finish. My primary complaint was the service. It took too long to get a waiter, then water for our table. The waiter passed our table several times but didn't acknowledge that we had been seated or that he was very busy. It's a simple thing that would have kept us content for a while. I'll chalk it up to him being too busy OR not well trained. Aside from service, we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysThespusILDined on 5/10/2014Our food was excellent as always, but our server mis-heard our order and brought us a shrimp tempura roll instead of the shrimp tempura appetizer. We are the roll, which was tasty. Overall always a great place to go. Unbelievable that such a great restaurant is in what I consider the farmland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, As AlwaysShermVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is always very good and the service on this particular night was outstanding. Our waitress was attentive without being overbearing....and she had a lovely personality! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic Presentation & QualityChicago2367VIPDined on 3/22/2014We live in Chicago, eat a lot of sushi & have a few great sushi places. swordfish stands up to the quality we expect, but the presentation was incredible! definitely high priced & probably not a weekly or take out place.Special Features:
- Great Service, Tasty SushiRussDined on 3/14/2014My wife and I were very pleased with our recent meal. The service was great; our waiter saved us from over-ordering from an unfamiliar menu. The sushi was terrific and presented beautifully. The prices were reasonable, and the place had an over-all vibe of casual competence. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014In a strip mall in the North Aurora area sits a small non-imposing building. Once you enter the setting immediately transforms. With an atmosphere you usually need to go into the city to get, this Sushi restaurant is excellent. You are presented with an unimposinging but very pleasing wine list and a menu that has some traditional favorites as well as their own special rolls. My fiance is a little less adventurous so we went with the breaded calamari as an appetizer and were pleasantly surprised by their Japanese twist on an Italian favorite. The Dark Knight roll was also very intriguing with the whole roll being lightly fried so the outside was slightly crisp and warm. It also all looked amazing. Overall A+ and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suburban sushi and chicSometimeFoodieDined on 3/1/2014My wife and I got some different Octopus(My Fav) appetizers and rolls. We also got a large sashimi selection and found the quality to be excellent. When my wife ordered the Parmesan crusted Sea Bass, I was shocked to find that it melted in your mouth. Truly a suprise to find some of the best cooked fish as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysmrteachDined on 2/15/2014The food was great as always, I have never been disappointed by Swordfish and this time was no different. Tried a couple new rolls I hadn't tried before and they were very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Experience in the 'burbsRobertVIPDined on 2/14/2014Very vibrant, great energy. Great choice of sushi and fully cooked seafood for non-sushi fans. Great for a night out when you can' make it downtown...Special Features:
- Swordfish is still a great betGeorgeDined on 2/7/2014Service and food is always top notch and it is difficult to find any faults. A great place to spend some alone time together and enjoy some fresh and creative sushi and rolls.Special Features:
- Great sushi, ok serviceFeedMeSushi81Dined on 1/11/2014When I made my Opentable reservation I asked for a quiet booth and made mention that this was my birthday dinner. We got stuck at a small table in the middle of the restaurant and the server made no mention of my birthday. The server made zero effort to be personable and was simply there to take our order and get us outta there. The food was outstanding as it always is. We weren't offered dessert and I had to stop the server from bringing our check because we wanted to order tempura ice cream. We were in and out in less than an hour, although we had intended to have a relaxing and enjoyable dining experience for my birthday. This is my favorite restaurant for sushi and we travel 45 minutes to come here on my birthday every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, trendy, not authenticicookandieatDined on 12/31/2013A nice place to eat. Nice atmosphere. Pretty good cocktails and saki list. Oyster shooters are great. Sushi is far from authentic, and it's impossible to know how good (or bad) the fish is because most "specialty" rolls are doused in mayo-based sauces. Giant menu, which is not necessarily a good thing. One would think cream cheese is a Japanese staple. My wife loves it, though, so we go with some regularity. I agree that everything tastes good and is beautifully presented. But you may be appalled if you are a traditionalist. Our recent visit had very bad service (very confused young waiter) but it's usually ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor customer acumenJimVDined on 12/21/2013Food was good, but we seemed rushed and seating was less than desirable.
- Great as alwaysThespusILDined on 11/2/2013It's unbelievable to me that this restaurant is in Batavia. The food is outstanding, the service exemplary, and the experience is perfect. It's quickly become our "go to" restaurant when friends or family come out to the country to visit. Swordfish van stand shoulder to shoulder next to any upscale restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free friendlyJenlVIPDined on 10/19/2013They have a nice selection of gluten free items and even prepared a daily special for the table gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!!mrteachDined on 10/5/2013I've eaten at Swordfish many times and the food is always great, as is the service. I highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in TriCity AreaRoMeVIPDined on 9/28/2013Swordfish is by far the best Sushi/Japanes place in the STC/Geneva/Batavia area. Great selection, great wine list, outstanding specials and absolutely fresh. Very friendly service and even a well stocked bar for those who need that. From the outside the place looks simple. But inside the music, food and drinks are great. Worth a trip of at least 40 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveShermVIPDined on 9/14/2013We had heard about Swordfish from some folks at work and thought we would give it a try. The food was Very good, the sushi was beautifully prepared, and the service was outstanding! The asparagus beef rolls were tiny and had too much sauce on them, but that was the only criticism. Not inexpensive. But definitely worth the drive.Special Features:
- Just ok.BkenonVIPDined on 7/27/2013Service was great, food was just ok. The sushi and the maki are so top heavy as to be hard to eat. It wasn't an unpleasant experience, but we were definitely not impressed.
- Quiet Friday OutTravelingHomeCookVIPDined on 7/5/2013Surprisingly quiet on a Friday. Its usually packed. Ordered our usual spicy salmon, spicy tuna, tuna avocado rolls and miso soup to share. The quality of the spicy salmon roll was a big miss tonight, almost as if it was pureed with spicy condiment. The tuna had the same condiment but was far better. The miso soup was especially delicious tonight. We decided to try the seaweed salad. It was spectacular! The new Madonna German Riesling is a new addition to the menu and was very good. It appears the price of the standard sushi options have gone up again. Consistency with the sushi rolls has been an issue for us in the past, and it seems to continue to be inconsistent in both quality and price, but all in all good sushi for the Batavia suburb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected and GreatThespusILDined on 6/16/2013To look at it from the street you wouldn't think much about the restaurant. It's pretty nondescript in a small shopping center on a busy street full of other shopping centers. But when you walk in everything changes. Very warm and inviting. And the food is outstanding. Excellent sushi, tempura, appetizers and cocktails. We went there with a couple self-proclaimed food snobs who were very very impressed with Swordfish. It's a gem amidst many boring restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent value, top qualityGeneVIPDined on 6/9/2013Been here multiple times over several years, and it seems to keep getting better. Top quality, fresh fish; ample quantities, great presentation. This time had the Tuna Flight followed by Chirashi (more sashimi, delectable!) and Una Don, one of best servings of eel we've ever had. If you like cold sake, try the "Fair Maiden"==smooth and light and worth the money. Not a cheap place, but it is an excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TunaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2013The tuna plate was a bit bland but I doctored it up with ginger, soy and wasabi from my husband. He liked the sashimi. It's a little overpriced. If you are a couple, ask for a fourtop table. We were seated on an elevated area with two seats each and you can hear every word spoken by the couples seated on either side of you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi and food are veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2013The sushi and food are very good. From the outside this place does not look very appealing because the awnings are a bit beat up but the inside is very comfortable. We have some food allergies and everytime I would ask the server to alter something she had to ask the manager. So I felt like they were a bit inflexible when it comes to accommodating the customer. Overall the food was very fresh but the service could use some improvement.Special Features:
- We hadn't been to SwordfishwestsubmydinesDined on 4/13/2013We hadn't been to Swordfish for several months, but were not disappointed when returned on 04/13/13. Their menu had some new items and many of the selections we loved from before. Their salmon entrée was new and I found it better then the standard teriyaki salmon. We will return again soon.Special Features:
- Great sushi!TravelingHomeCookVIPDined on 3/1/2013Great sushi! Our previous visit was disappointing, but our server informed us that often times the sushi served is highly dependent upon the chef preparing, so if you find a favorite, ask for that chef to prepare your sushi .... otherwise there is high probability that you will not receive the same thing you previously ordered. Having said that, our visit this time was good. Our server let us take our time and enjoy the wine and ambiance without constantly checking on us, which was appreciated greatly. Only negative the plum wine is BAD BAD BAD. The owner informed us currently they are using Kikoman brand plum wine (yes the same as the soy sauce). It is absolutely terrible, and we hope they will replace it with something betterSpecial Features: