310 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
FonduePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1291swizz.com/
- Phone: 2128104444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, European, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Beat Waser
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Raclette Cheese Catering for small and large groups.
Raclette cheese is a specialty of the Swiss Valais canton. The cheese is divided and its center is exposed to heat on a special Raclette machine. The cheese starts to melt and this portion is scraped off and placed on a plate. The Raclette is served with boiled potatoes, gherkins and cocktail onions. Raclette cheese has a very distinctive flavor - nutty, aromatic and similar to Gruyere type cheeses.
A word from Swizz Restaurant
Swizz bubbles with authenticity, just like the featured fondues, from its exposed brick walls showcasing beautiful art work to the extensive wine list. Enjoy great Swiss dishes such as Raclette and Cheese Fondue, seafood and other international delicacies. The wine cave emulates class and sophistication - the perfect setting for a romantic dinner or any business meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swizz Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- very quaint. very good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2013very quaint. very good food. service was nicely done as well.Special Features:
- We went for fondue two daysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/2013We went for fondue two days after going to Artisanal for fondue, and the fondue at Swizz was immensely better than the other one. The staff was very courteous. We had a fantastic experience, this restaurant is highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Fondue Heaven - Provencaleask2000VIPDined on 3/9/2013The BEST fondue - get the Provencale and enjoy every bite!Special Features:
- Good restaurant, but the pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2013Good restaurant, but the prices are high for the food servedSpecial Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013The food was yummy. We had a ceasar salad and the fondue, both very nice. They had several sides you could pick from for the fondue but personally I wish they had a few more options.Special Features:
- Great FondueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/15/2013My boyfriend and I went there for fondue and it was delicious. We got the fondue guerier and swiss fondue and dipped apples and sausage. We also got the salmon which had a mango peppercorn sauce which added a nice flavor. The chocolate fondue was absolutely delicious as well. The only negative was that it was very over priced but for a special occasion I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Delicious and authentic!BobMVIPDined on 2/15/2013We absolutely loved our fondue meal during our weekend in NYC! Thanks!! Delicious and authentic.Special Features:
- The cheese fondue was goodJojoVIPDined on 2/13/2013The cheese fondue was good - but not my favorite. I guess I still pine for La Fondue. The service was very good and the atmosphere quite nice. Great for before theater.Special Features:
- Good to try once.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013We came here for a double birthday dinner. The prices online are different than in the restaurant...as in 1 pot of cheese is 42. We were a group of 8 and had 1 pot of the traditional cheese fondue and it was great and sufficient. We all ordered our own meals and all came out looking delicious. The price tag is a tad on the higher end, as in the most affordable meal is a $12 hamburger and pretty much everything else is $20 and above. If you want to take a birthday cake, there is a $20 plating fee., and the cheapest wine bottle is $38. Since we were in a celebratory spirit, we ordered and ate what we wanted and the food itself was great. For desert we had the milk chocolate fondue--1 for the table of 8 and it was definitely sufficient :)Special Features:
- Beautiful fondue experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Beautiful fondue experience. The waitress was extremely polite and helpful with the selections. Would definitely recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013My boyfriend and I went for his birthday. The service and food were both amazing--no complains. We were seated downstairs which it was not noisy. I have been to Switzerland many times before and love fondue and I really have to say this was excellent fondue! I was extremely impressed!Special Features:
- Worst restaurant experience ever!NYsnobVIPDined on 1/24/2013I left my credit card at the restaurant and the next day, the restaurant owner called a wrong number and it was a fraud on my credit card, where somebody else tried to come and pick it up! It was very irresponsible of them to call some wrong person instead of waiting for my call and verifying the information. It took me half hiur at the bank, to prove myself and make them cancel it. I had to cancel my entire account and ask the bank to cut up my credit card, just in case the other person tried to claim it. the food was terrible, the cheese was kind of cold him even the raqlette was not up to the mark. The food is super expensive for the quality and service. We paid $400 for 4 of us without any meat or alcoho!
- Fondue was delicious! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/20/2013Fondue was delicious! Great spot for pre-theater. Wish servings went later so that we could take advantage for post theater meals.Special Features:
- The food at Swizz RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/19/2013The food at Swizz Restaurant was very good, but a bit on the expensive side. My boyfriend and I went there to get some fondue, but it was about $38 per person. We ended up going for regular dishes and we didn't regret it. The salmon was delicious and so was my dish (I can't remember the name.) I would recommend this place for couples who are looking to have a romantic dinner (try to reserve a table downstairs) or groups. They had a great area for groups downstairs.Special Features:
- I seem to end up here aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013I seem to end up here about once a month and have never had a negative experience. The service is always excellent and the hostess (owner?) is always warm and welcoming. We enjoyed the classic cheese fondue as an appetizer this time and the veal Zuri was as great as ever. Great photos on the walls and just a wonderfully consistently great place to dine. I have gazed longingly at the hamburger others have ordered and may just try it soon myself. It looks wonderful though many of the other authentic Swiss / Austrian dishes are probably more the experience one seeks in this restaurant.Special Features:
- I dine here about once a monthOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/29/2012I dine here about once a month and every trip reminds me that it is worth returning. The food is consistently good although my weiner schnitzle was a bit salty this time. The cheese fondue is delicious and should probably not be missed, if even for an appetizer. Wonderful hostess (owner) and service is also very consistently great. Prices are entirely reasonable considering what you get and the restaurant location.Special Features:
- Outstanding service from theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Outstanding service from the staff & the fondue was as good as I've ever had in NYCSpecial Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Food and service were both excellent! We went there for dinner on Christmas Day and we were absolutely not disappointed! The ambiance was nice, the Chinese Fondue was delicious and our waitress was pleasant and attentive. We will return and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fondue in NYC!Special Features:
- In our experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Unfortunately we did not have a good experience with Swizz. We were in NYC for several days including Christmas Eve and Day and were on a budget. I did a lot of research on restaurants and prices before we left. We made many of our choices based on pre fixe menus so that we would be able to enjoy ourselves and still stay in budget. When we reserved at Swizz about 2 weeks before our trip, they said they would have their pre-theater pre fixe dinner option available. I even called to verify, being Christmas. They said yes. When we arrived we were told flatly that that pre fixe menu wasn’t available because it was Christmas. When we said we had called to verify and that is why we had come to their restaurant, they asked us who we sp
- Very friendly and efficientOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/16/2012Very friendly and efficient service in a nice cozy atmosphere. We had a cheese fondue with 2 side dishes between 3 of us and it was tasty and so filling that we could not manage dessert, unfortunately!
- First and last visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012If guests under 21 are drinking soda be prepared to pay for refills at $3.50 each. Food was good but service was fair at best. Asked waiter two times for additional ice to no avail. Needed additional bread for the fondue but first had to find our evasive waiter. Something like this should be checked on and not require asking. This place specializes in fondue, we couldn't have been the first people in history to run out of bread before cheese. Overall not a good value.Special Features:
- The food was great, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/8/2012The food was great, however the portions labeled for two should have been for four. We were stuffed and there was so much fondue left over.Special Features:
- Great find...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/26/2012Hubby and I always went to the same 3 restaurants, so I decided to think outside the box. Had a wonderful night and glad I went here. Fondue was fun and yummy. :)Special Features:
- Apres Ski!j868jennVIPDined on 11/24/2012Fondue! We've been here a few times and have always thoroughly enjoyed both a dinner cheese fondue (we opted for the apples, sausage, and sun dried tomatoes in addition to the bread). We usually order a bottle of a white wine and for desert do the Jacques Torres chocolate fondue. Fondue is fun - it's great for a date. The service has always been friendly, quick, and on point. It's nice and dim and the noise isn't crazy so you can have a lovely conversation. Reminds me of time I've spent in Switzerland and Kitzbuhel.Special Features:
- We dined downstairs as thereboothbayVIPDined on 11/15/2012We dined downstairs as there was a large group upstairs - it was very pleasant. We bypassed the cheese fondue which we really like and had the caramelized onions and cheese for an appetizer. Our main courses were the salmon and wiener schnitzel - both with rosti potatoes which are a treat. Everything was well prepared and our waitress was pleasant and attentive. The menage a trois rose wine was excellent with the meal. A very enjoyable evening.
- We came with a large groupEatToLiveVIPDined on 11/13/2012We came with a large group and the staff was extremely accommodating with all our requests. Fondues, especially the cheddar cheese, were all delightful. Thank you to the restaurant for taking such good care of our group.Special Features:
- THE FONDUE WAS GOOD, BUT NOTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012THE FONDUE WAS GOOD, BUT NOT ENOUGH FOR TWO PEOPLE, THE WAY THE MENU IS SET UP IS WEIRD AND NOT USER FRIENDLY...WAS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE AMOUNT OF FOOD WE HAD..Special Features:
- I hadn't been here in awhile,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/10/2012I hadn't been here in awhile, and now I don't know why I stayed away so long. I would definitely recommend coming here for the fondue. I have had a few different kinds and they are all delicious. I would say that the portion of sausage is incredibly small for $3, but it was very good. The waitress was a bit odd, but it wouldn't keep me from coming back.Special Features:
- The fondue was amazing! IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The fondue was amazing! I was dissapointed in our server - for a "wine bar" she did NOT know her wine..I asked a question about a wine I was not familiar with, and her description was basically "it's wine." She stumbled when I asked the varietal. She coudln't describe it, so she offered to get us a "sample"...then returned to say "Oh, it's only sold by the bottle, so I can't get you a sample." A glance at the menu had that information. But, we ordered a more familar bottle, and had a delicious cheese fondue, followed by the fantastic chocolate fondue. The staff just need to be better trained on the BASICS.
- Love coming here for fondue!TonicwaterVIPDined on 11/10/2012Love coming here for fondue! The cheeses are to die for! I've only tried the traditional Swiss and the cheddar and both have been delicious. They only come with bread cubes. If you want something additional to dip, it's $3 an add-on. You can get veggies, meats and fruit as dippers. We did the steak and veggie fondue entree and again it w really tasty. The meat was very good and we got a generous portion for two. It came with lots of veggies to dip, as well as three sauces. My recommendation is they leave us a "search and rescue" spoon that can withstand heat in case stuff falls off your fondue fork, like it did with us. Finally for dessert, get ready to be in heaven with their melted toblerone dessert. Amazing!!Special Features:
- Service and quality of foodDanielVIPDined on 11/9/2012Service and quality of food not as good as it used to be.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2012Food was average at best. Have had much better fondue for half the price. Raclette was certainly good as was dessert but Chinoise plat was overpriced and lacked flavor. Save your money and go elsewhere.
- Cozy & DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2012Swiss is a cozy restaurant for a casual meal. The fondue is amazing, the Linzer torte is delicious & different from the traditional. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Charming Swiss restaurantKEENJVIPDined on 10/17/2012Charming Swiss restaurant with fondues and other entrees. We didn't have the fondue, so I can't comment on that, but I can say the food was rich.Special Features:
- If you love the Swiss specialtiesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2012If you love the Swiss specialties of fondue and raclette, this is the place to go in NYC! It is a cozy, quiet place--perfect on a cool autumn evening. The appetizer of air-dried beef sliced razor thin is also a great starter.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant. Ioperafan141VIPDined on 10/13/2012I love this restaurant. I have been here several times both before and after the theater, with very different groups and everyone is always happy. The food is delicious and fun. Service is always perfect and the pricing is reasonable. A shared cheese fondue makes the best appetizer and I cannot recommend the Zurich style veal too highly - it is a treat! The wine list is very good and the staff recommendations have always been terrific.Special Features:
- Great and authentic food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2012Great and authentic food. Excellent service although it was fairly quiet when we went.Special Features:
- Traditional Fondue is delicious,PranjalVIPDined on 9/22/2012Traditional Fondue is delicious, they have a good overall menu also for non swiss food lovers in your party. I would go there again.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service wasCathlamoDined on 9/18/2012Food was good. Service was excellent. The only downside was that it was very pricey for what we received.
- Terrific theater districtoperafan141VIPDined on 9/12/2012Terrific theater district choice. The food is well prepared and delicious. We were a group of five, everyone of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The service was at a perfect pace and everything was piping hot. The cheese fondue is a perfect appetizer and one was more than enough for all five of us to share - same with the chocolate fondue dessert, which was accompanied by plenty of fresh fruit and marshmallows (delicious!) This was not my first visit and I will be back for sure.Special Features: