1149 Zion Park Blvd.
Springdale, UT 84767Neighborhood:
Springdale (Zion National Park)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.switchbackgrille.com/
- Phone: (435) 772-3700 ext. 100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7 days a week: 7:00am - 11:00am; Dinner: 7 days a week: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mike Marriott
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Switchback Grille offers full service on site and off site catering for groups up to 500 people. We specialize in wedding and business group planning. On site, one can choose from several locations that range from conference room settings to outdoor patios. We offer extensive catering menus and look forward to tailoring your event to your exact specifications.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties up to 500 people, but require all groups over 20 people to make arrangements through the catering department.
- Private Party Contact: Sapphire Finnegan 4357723700x102
A word from Switchback Grille
Nestled at the foot of the Watchman rock formation in Zion Canyon, Switchback Grille Steak & Fish House features hand-selected USDA Prime beef, Certified Angus Beef and a daily fresh fish menu that follows the seasons. Artfully prepared dishes, warm superior service, stunning views of the West Temple and a sophisticated southwest dining room come together for a truly unique dining experience. Additionally, Switchback offers full bar service with the area’s most extensive wine list. Banquet and catering services are available year round as well as a cozy sports grill with all of your pub favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Switchback Grille - Best Restaurants in Springdale (Zion National Park) ›
Switchback Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (9)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (5)notable wine list (5)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Surprise in SpringdaleFundinerDined on 11/11/2014This is a must restaurant in Springdale, Utah. Everything about it was wonderful. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was beautifully prepared and presented. They were the kind of dishes that you stared at each time a different one went by your table. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food, and will definitely go back if I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayStamasDined on 10/11/2014Got the Rib Eye. Undercooked and bland. Would have sent back but not inclined to send food back, being in the service industry. I expect it to be right the 1st time and frankly, it's hard to make a good steak bad, but they did it.. I just will try somewhere else in the future. I hope this criticism is taken to heart. Server was good, but had her hands full. I do appreciate the great seating.Special Features:
- slow kitchenbirthdaydinnerDined on 10/3/2014The servers were excellent, the food was very good. The kitchen was so slow that customers, including me, as well as waitstaff were frustrated with how long it took to get food from the kitchen. I finished my hot black coffee nearly five minutes before the accompanying dessert was brought to the table. There are better restaurants in this town.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014Food was great, atmosphere too. Nice to have an elegant place to eat after a long day on the mountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedIctdinerDined on 9/27/2014Pretty dining room. Young, unprofessional servers. Beautiful plate presentation. Mediocre food. All in all a disappointing experience. Particularly for the price.Special Features:
- musicwindwalkerDined on 9/26/2014The elevator music was the only thing wrong with the switchback grill. HaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceHappytravelerDined on 9/14/2014I had their halibit special. It was amazing. The presentation was beautiful and the fish was moist and delicious. The coconut risotto was outstanding. Reservations a must. Waite staff was friendly and helpful. Just recommended it to fellow traveler we met today who is going to Zion tomorrow. Loved that I could make reservations onlineSpecial Features:
- Definitely worth the caloriesgypsymeDined on 9/5/2014Every aspect of the Switchback was exceptional. Since I'm at the stage of life where I have to watch my calories, I hate to "waste" calories on mediocre food. Each dish my 3 friends and I had ( we taste-test-share) was yummy, interesting, fresh and flavorful. Definitely worth the calories!!!! Will return when I go back to Springdale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJudyDined on 8/7/2014Everything thing our group of four ordered was divine. Caesar salad, halibut, tuna, tiramisu. Presentation was beautiful. We had the two of the fish specials and they were fabulous. I will go there again next time I visit Zion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 77 reviews are from the Switchback Grille reviews archive.
- Pricey but well worth the money.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014After reading some mixed reviews my wife and I made a reservation with an open mind. Hostess was professional and welcomed us to the restaurant. We treated business clients and hoped it would be a positive experience. My friend was a rancher and was pleasantly impressed with the rib eye. My wife and I had the halibut and it was not over cooked which made for a perfect dinner. Service was prompt. Water was refilled every 10 minutes. Views of the Zion mountains from the window table was magnificent. I hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did. Aldo, had the mornig buffet. Fair selection. Made to order omlets. Friendly cooks. Pricey for breakfast but a lovely room to dine in with linen.Special Features:
- PerfectcmolVIPDined on 7/7/2014We were three 4 times and 4 times the specials were perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment at Switchback GrilleDanSDined on 7/5/2014We were greeted then asked to give the hostess a minute which turned into 10. The pizzas were mediocre with soft doughy crust. The buffalo cheeseburger was very good. The server did not bring our second round of drinks, check back with us and then brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert or coffee. Not good for a place that wants to be "high end". So overall here is what I would say about our experience at Switchback Grille. Service - Very Very Poor Food - Mixed results but overall mediocre Price - High for what you get I had high hopes for Switchback Grille when we arrived but was sadly disappointed. For a place that pretends to be a high end restaurant (Filet is $45) I would definitely not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Go elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014We were not impressed with the food or service. Never even received a refill on water.
- Beautiful SettingmilanVIPDined on 7/1/2014Enjoyed this place while on a visit to zion. Food was wonderful and very large portions. Service a little slow but our server was very good.Special Features:
- Will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014The chef can not cook. The fish(halibut ??) was over cooked(dry) and the risotto was under cooked rice which was fried and sweet as rice pudding. The meal did not match the description given by the waiter. The filet was not even choice meat,at best it was select due to the strange texture. The steak was overdone on the outside and raw in the middle and had no flavor. The asparagus was not fresh and the chef did not even trim the pale green dried wrinkled ends to make it appear fresh. When the fish with risotto was sent back, the manager was less than accommodating and somewhat unpleasant acting insulted that the food was sent back.4 star prices for 1 star quality. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK.Special Features:
- Relaxing atmosphere-wine-good foodVacaDined on 5/9/2014Snippy hostess who had words with the person ahead of us with threats of calling the police started our dinner off with a little tension....Things improved after we were seated and introduced to a nice waitress. Wine list was great (although we had to wait a bit on the second bottle) food was also great with a very unusual presentation of the trout. We enjoyed our meal and we're glad we returned after being turned away the night before because we didn't have a reservation!! (There did appear to be empty tables). Thank you open table!! We were able to hike and explore Zion National Park and still get a reservation for dinner !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Location and Average Food...CMsteveVIPDined on 5/7/2014This place is very convenient to the area. The food is average as was the service. But, if you are staying at the Best Western or Hampton Inn, you can walk to it and the food will suffice. The prices are a little on the high side but you are in a tourist area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the whole, above average.TwilightDinersDined on 4/20/2014The food really is, just ok. It would have been better hot instead of warm. It is pricy, but remember, you are in the middle of no where! Wine list is priced reasonably for what is on it, we found it lacking of good reds. Cocktails were small, but we are not used to (what we were told) Utah liquor laws that restrict drinks to 1.75 oz of liqueur. No floater on that Marg! The staff was accomodating, although they had not heard of a Blue Cheese Stuffed Olive and did not offer one, they were able to produce several for my much desired Martini upon request. Although they offered kids meals that were good, they had nothing for the kids as far as crayons and such. They should know bored kids produce a lot of unnecessary noise and motion :) ***Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Switchback GrilleEatntellDined on 4/19/2014SBG is not the best restaurant in Springdale and far from the worst. It's adequate at everything. The ambiance is a bit sterile but pleasant. So are the serving staff. The food is not overly inventive or flavorful but it's solid making SBG a good choice if you have cautious eaters in your group or need a break from southwest seasoned dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and disappointingikamDined on 4/1/2014Unfortunately this was our most expensive yet least satisfying meal in the quaint town of Springdale. Two of four meals ordered were OK but other two were substandard. For those prices I expected exceptional. Wine was quite good at least.Special Features:
- SUPERB!EDofALAMEDAVIPDined on 4/1/2014I live in the San Francisco Bay area and dine at many fine restaurants there. I was greatly impressed with the Switchback Grille. The food was top quality with generous portions attractively presented. The service was excellent and the ambiance most interesting. Well worth repeat visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus must be on the profit marginOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2014The place is clearly geared towards tourist. There is a sizeable Zion souvenir shop in the same building that houses the restaurant. Ordered the "pecan crusted" trout from their menu. It should have called the breaded trout fillet with a few pecans instead as there were hardly any pecans. It was over-cooked. Dining partner ordered their aged filet. It was decent, but not as good as the filets from Harris Ranch or Bern's Steakhouse. On the plus side, especially for the location, they had a good wine list and almost all wines were less than $100. The tomato soup was tasty. Overall, it was over-priced and under-performed. I do not intend on going back.Special Features:
- You let me reserve a closed placefotobandiDined on 3/11/2014How can I review a place that was closed for renovation? I booked for my 60th birthday, got there and found it was not yet ready to reopen. The owner was there and apologized for Open Table, whose fault it was. Way to go. Found a lesser place nearby. The one star ratings are only because I had to rate it. I'm sure it is very good. I just can't tell. So, to others, give it a try. Locals say it is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent ServiceTomGDined on 10/19/2013Started out terrible, sat us down and nothing for about five minutes - had to ask a server for bread and water. Waiters and servers walked by ignoring us several times. The appropriate waiter finally showed up and then things got very good. But for the initial start it would have been a four star situation. Apparently our waiter was in the middle of serving a large group and no one was willing or able to help us out. So if you go here, don't let their station rules keep you waiting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to beat the atmosephere; butDiningDuoDined on 10/19/2013Anywhere in Springdale is beautiful. This restaurant had a nice open atmosphere with outdoor patio seating. We sat inside. The food choices were good. However, one of our party was very disappointed there was not an item on the menu as advertised online (our main reason for going there). The prices are very expensive for the specials($37) which raises our expectations; the special was on-point (halibut with risotto), but the service was very slow and our waitress was scarcely around. With these prices and the upscale style they are selling, the service needs to be much better and some of their menu items need to be improved upon or maybe offered for lunch versus an expensive dinner (prime rib sandwich, not recommended).Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!Cooker72Dined on 10/17/2013This is a small....but tourist......town. We were pleased to find this gem. The stall was very friendly. When we arrived and gave our name, the hostess said "I have been saving your table!".....thanks Open Table! We had a delicious wedge salad...fresh and crisp....then on to one of their specials, Macadamia Crusted Halibut. It was perfectly cooked and delightfully presented! Because of the Shutdown , their crowds were smaller than usual, but the food and service were right on!Special Features:
- Unnecessarily presumptuousRickyBVIPDined on 10/14/2013Restaurant wants to be in a big city rather than a small town. Expensive ($30 plus for entrees), but not great food. Nice environment, but feels forced. Disappointing.
- Hits and missesCoopJohnBDined on 9/30/2013Switchback was recommended by a friend who lives nearby. Food near National Parks usually isn't a concern, you take what you get. In this case the quality of the food was excellent. Simple misses included a wine list that is missing a lot of popular wines and no one has taken the time to update it. I ordered two different wines only to be told "we don't have that". In this day of inkjet printers you should be able to update a wine list weekly if not daily. Some of the food arrived cooler than it should have but that was rectified quickly but it shouldn't happen... ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!ScottDined on 9/29/2013Great place to sit and have a great meal with a great view. Awesome atmosphere. Service was a little slow, but other than that it was great!Special Features:
- Got dinner special (mahi-mahi)LVMDDined on 9/28/2013Got dinner special (mahi-mahi) which was very tasty. Loved the margarita too. Seafood pasta that my son ordered was bland though. We sat by the window which had great views of the red and orange mountains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, overlooked!LLLabudaDined on 9/8/2013Deep fried trout, I don't think so! Food was inedible and the most expensive of our 21 day trip in the National Parks! Shame on them. Our wait person did a wonderful job and was the one bright spot in the whole experience.
- Highly RecommendDk0330Dined on 9/7/2013We Were in the area visiting and drove passed the Switchback Grille. We decided to try it on our last night there. We had our 3 year old daughter with us so after walking in and seeing how nice it was, I panicked. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. We had an amazing waiter who was so cute with our daughter and very patient. They even had a kids menu! The food was amazing as well. We will definitely be going back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkHikersDined on 9/6/2013Food was alright not the greatest for the price we paid. We got there at an early time and sat on the patio which was real nice view. But the staff was real slow and took a long time fill our glasses and bring food.Special Features:
- Expensive for TouristsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2013While food was good, portions were way too much. Since this is mainly a tourist town (only about 500 permanent residents per U.S. Census) and few can take leftovers with them, food waste is considerable. Prices not good value for the food -- need to be about $5-$10 less per entrée.Special Features:
- give this place a tryJayMinkDined on 8/11/2013Calamari was excellent as well as the Rocky Mountain Trout and seafood special sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance set apart near the parkSnorcDined on 7/30/2013The dining room is very pleasant and comfortable. The professional kitchen is on display and on a week night presentation was their focus. The food was generally not as flavorful as I would have liked, but I would return again. It's a good value when compared to the limited options in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal after a long hike!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/28/2013Dinner and service was great. View was outstanding.Special Features:
- Relaxed gourmet atmosphereCookingjoeDined on 7/20/2013This restaurant is great for a romantic evening for two or a family dinner. The fish dishes were cooked to perfection. The veggies were al dente. The cheesecake was smooth and light. The service was stealth and always there. Two surprising highlights - the glass enclosed kitchen was a treat and the outdoor patio with the mountain setting was breathtaking. Ask for Ludo, as a server and be sure you have him prepare a cappuccino...it is as if you are in Paris. We've dined at all of the better restaurants in Springdale and this is hands down the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewPointhoarderVIPDined on 7/14/2013This is for dinner and breakfast since the restaurant cancelled the reservation for breakfast 30 minutes before we got there. Why show you can book for breakfast then? Great breakfast and free if you stay at the hotel. Too bad they don't open earlier so you can go explore Zion before the heat sets in. Dinner was also great. Interesting meatloaf loaded with bacon. The burger is also worth trying.Special Features:
- Just ok.DatenightsVIPDined on 6/3/2013Went for our anniversary which was never acknowledged. Bartender and server knew little about the menu and wine list. Best part was sitting outside enjoying the view. And the hostess Shappire was delightful and seemed to have the answers to all of our questions. In the end we wished we went to spotted dog... : /Special Features: