20 Vail Road
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonnenalp.com/dining/swiss_chalet.html
- Phone: 9704795429x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Daily: 3:00pm - 5:00pm bar only during winter
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm during winter, 5:00pm - 9:00pm during the rest of the year
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Andrew Diamond
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Swiss Chalet
Featuring traditional European cuisine by our Executive Chef in a classic Swiss-style setting, the Swiss Chalet offers the ultimate alpine dining experience. Käse Spätzle (homemade Swiss dumpling topped with cheese and crispy onions) and delicious fondues make the Swiss Chalet a delectable dining experience. Not in the mood for fondue? Our traditional European entrées and Raclette will satisfy your every need. Save room for freshly made desserts including Austrian apple strudel and chocolate fondue.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swiss Chalet reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Cheese Fondue & sad kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I had a wonderful evening. We are fond of Fondue and Swiss Chalet offers the best in the Usa. The Cheese Fondue is as good as you will find in Switzerland where I am from. But we were very disappointed that our kids were served what appeared to be KRAFT Mac&Cheese.... I imagined that they could easily get some macaroni with Emmental but nope. Just the yellow Kraft mix... Swiss Chalet, you need to educate those little, impressionable and malleable petite palates. They are your future guests! But overall we were delighted and the kids had fun picking in our Fondue!Special Features:
- Great eveningYvetteDined on 8/8/2014Service and food was great. Fun fondue. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience & Superb Cuisine!weddedblissDined on 6/15/2014Thank you all for helping us celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff was friendly and very helpful in choosing a dish. The food was exquisite! We look forward to visiting again and trying your other dishes. Thanks for a wonderful and memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue HeavenFoodieDined on 6/11/2014I have never been to a restaurant with fondue as an option. What a pleasant and flavorful experience. I highly recommend this restaurant for a fun night out with friends. The services was excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience Europe here in VailMedBusinessTravelerDined on 5/16/2014The Swiss Chalet offers a fabulous evening of European music, mountain resort ambience, and savory fondue cooking right at your table. A romantic special evening, or cozy get together with friends, we travel to visit the Swiss Chalet at least once a year, a convenient 60 second walk from the Sonnenalp Resort Hotel.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere, Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014My wife and I were in Vail, CO celebrating our anniversary this weekend and went to the Swiss Chalet for a special dinner. The setting was very authentic and the food was very good. I would go out of my way to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Swiss Chalet reviews archive.
- Classic Vail experienceAlexVIPDined on 3/25/2014I have been going to Swiss Chalet since the 1980s, and it would be hard to imagine a visit to Vail without a meal there. My dinner there last week was as good as ever. The house salad is a great starter, and we shared cheese and beef fondues for our main course (I also love the raclette, but was outvoted this time). Everything was excellent. Good German beers on tap. Our waitress was friendly, attentive, and gave good advice on the right amount of fondue to order for the table. Always a fun evening--will definitely return next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Excelent serviceCecyDined on 3/2/2014The service was excelent! I got engaged few hours before and they gave us wine courtesy of the house! The dios, wine and people that work there are very nice! It is an excelent restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2014Superb food, great service and felt like we were in Switzerland again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- De fato não gosto muito deIGWTDined on 1/30/2014De fato não gosto muito de fondie. Além disso o cheiro que fica na roupa é horrível. Não foi uma boa escolha para o nosso gosto, admito. No mais, a comida que pedimos não passou do razoável e o barulho no restaurante era insuportável. O restaurante estava cheio e talvez por isso o atendimento não tenha sido muito satisfatório. Enfim, não retorno.Special Features:
- Fond of youtriathleaterDined on 1/30/2014Fondue is always served "family-style", but the menu format, and our waiter, encouraged us to order one "item" per person. This resulted in too many pots and grills on the table, and wasted food. We enjoyed the cheese fondue and the raclette grill items. Everything else we ordered was not good, especially the duck, which was yucky. We suggest ordering one pot of cheese fondue, for the table. If they can't custom size your fondue pot (which does not seem difficult), order one pot then another, until you have had enough. Then, if you want some protein, order one raclette grill, and enough ala-carte grill-able side items to feed and entertain the table. Wish the waiter had suggested this, instead of trying to sell us a bunch of bogus items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableChattyQattyDined on 1/24/2014Food is complemented by friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient staff! The carpaccio appetizer was amazing!Special Features:
- We have been coming to SwissOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/16/2014We have been coming to Swiss Chalet for many years. It specialises in fondue and we have been consistently impressed with the quality of the food, helpful staff and excellent selection of wines.Special Features:
- Worth The Waitmyrnabird57Dined on 1/8/2014During the holidays it has been difficult to get a reservation, but we finally were able to get an early evening one. The decor was enchanting, especially the large Swiss cow bells hanging from the beams. Our server was pleasant, patient and helpful. Our bottle of red wine was really good, but not overly pricey. The food was very good and fun to cook at our own table. We found the Matterhorn to provide an adequate amount of food for two with a side order of cheese. It was truly a very special evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GroupsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/6/2014Not a good restaurant if you are in a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter was friendly butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/6/2014The waiter was friendly but not pay attention at the light of the casserole. The light off all the timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Dinner After SkiingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/18/2013We had a very enjoyable meal after a long day of skiing at Vail. Our group of five all tried different dishes so we could share. The wine list is extensive and you can browse and select wines using their iPad. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ambiance and service.Abu1Dined on 12/15/2013Great food, ambiance and service. The only drawback is the strong smell that stays in your clothing after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An annual favorite!LivetoEatVIPDined on 12/12/2013The Swiss Chalet is always on our list of restaurants each year on our annual family ski trip to Vail. The service is always excellent and the food doesn't disappoint. The raclette is delicious and the portion sizes are enough to feed a hungry pre-teen boy after a long day on the slopes. Try to save room for the apple strudel!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed...ShanndrewsDined on 11/30/2013We have been dining here every visit (1-4 times/year) for over 15 years, and have always loved it. This year, our service was so terrible, we may never go back. It took a long time to have our order taken, we had the fondue burner and bread on the table for over 20 minutes before the cheese to dip it in was delivered. After finishing our appetizers, a raclette "grill" was plugged in at our table and left on/hot for over 30 minutes with no food delivered. It became uncomfortably warm. How does it take so long for RAW food to be prepped for the table? When the server was asked, her response was that she couldn't help it because she didn't cut the food up. The manager was apathetic, and other staff just stood around, when they could've helped.Special Features:
- Alpine dining in the U.S.SkibumVIPDined on 11/25/2013Went here with my family during a recent ski trip to vail. Kids (10,12,&16) really enjoyed the hands on experience. Food was pretty good, but not much flavor. Our server was not very personable, but was knowledgeable and efficient. The fondue experience was fun. It is overpriced, but so is everything else in vail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. More than a meal,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2013Great food. More than a meal, it was an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fonduegingy28Dined on 11/10/2013We had a great meal at Swiss Chalet. Sharing the cheese and beef fondue with others in our party was so much fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FondueBobbi1022Dined on 10/24/2013Since we visited in October it was quiet. The service was excellent and the food was amazing!!! Fondue was perfect! Nice variety of vegetables and great bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Europe in VailElizabethDined on 10/13/2013The exceptional service of the staff alone would bring us back try other menu items!
- Authenticity of the AlpsElleBerlinDined on 10/5/2013My boyfriend and I went to Swiss Chalet on our weekend to Vail. We arrived at 8pm, and were seated with a reservation. Our drinks were brought to us and the server took out order with upbeat, friendly service. She was from just outside of Berlin in Germany and was amazing. I am from Germany as well and her and I got into conversation, which made it feel like home for me. The food came and was absolutely exceptional. The dinner took us nearly 2.5 hours, so allow plenty of time. We had the Zwiebelsuppe, Käsespäzle, Matterhorn Raclette, and drinks. It was perfect for the two of us. I will be back whenever I am in Vail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and ambience!2many2chooseDined on 10/5/2013To celebrate our son's 13th birthday, we reserved a table for four. The food and ambience were wonderful. Our son had a very memorable evening.Special Features:
- A little too loud (all woodKennyDined on 10/4/2013A little too loud (all wood interior and no softscape to absorb sound) & very busy with little kids. Fondue is fun and the family aspect is a little too off putting for us as a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent!!YummyDined on 10/3/2013The nice lady that waited on us was great, she was very attentive and help with all the questions we had. Would come back anytime best fondue I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & ambianceKellySDined on 9/20/2013Alexa, a new transplant from Florida, took excellent care of us and made some wonderful recommendations on food and wine. She also went the extra mile to recommend some local nightlife, which turned into a most enjoyable evening of live music. The food and service is amazing. Highly recommended for a date night! Ask for Alexa and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedBondelevVIPDined on 9/14/2013The food was good but not great, and was very overpriced, even for Vail. Salads and apple strudel were good, fondu was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue in Vail, COOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2013Everything was great from the fondue to the Reisling wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to goRedjonesVIPDined on 8/16/2013We had a great time at The Swiss Chalet and would recommend the raclette or fondue dishes. The service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDenvermikeDined on 8/2/2013After many pleasant experiences at the Swiss Chalet we were disappointed by the food. We both ordered the Weiner Schnitzel and were disappointed to find the veal over powered by breading and deep fried. We will return for the fondue and the Racelette but not for the schnitzel.
- A Great ExperienceAparentlyhicksVIPDined on 7/3/2013Unlike so much at Vail, the Swiss Chalet is truly unique. The fondues were excellent and a great experience. The Ipad wine list is the best thing ever! Allows you to make informed decisions on your wine, since it has tons of info on each one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food with good serviceStephanieDined on 5/31/2013We had a birthday celebration upon our first visit to Vail. We had the cheese fondue just for the sake of fun and it was pretty good. For main entrees, I had the rack of lamb and my husband had the venison. Both were delicious and would recommend this dish and the restaurant. Ambiance is like something out of old European charm. Having just returned from Vienna for 3 months, it is good to know of the Swiss Chalet to dine and remember our Europe experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic swiss fare. You'llOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/10/2013Authentic swiss fare. You'll think you're in zermat!Special Features:
- We had been to your restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2013We had been to your restaurant many times in the past. The food just wasn't up to your usual. The house salad was nicely presented but tasteless. The Raclette was good and our Grandson's steak was very good. Steak tartar wasn't that good. Sorry. I think the cheese fondue was also good.
- Love it !!VaniaDined on 3/23/2013Its one of my favorite restaurants in Vail !! Is a MUST the cheese fondue is the best !! i really love this place!! You really feel like if you were at Europe!Special Features:
- The Swiss Chalet was lotsnoreservationsVIPDined on 3/16/2013The Swiss Chalet was lots of fun. The kids enjoyed the fondue experience and the food was delicious. We will return.Special Features: