Swish by Han
38 Wellington St. East
Toronto, ON M5E 1C7Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
KoreanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Swish by Han
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://swishbyhan.wordpress.com/
- Phone: 6473430268
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Korean, Asian
- Executive Chef: Leemo Han
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Leeto Han 647-343-0268
A word from Swish by Han
Swish by Han was created to share the unknown culture of modern-day South Korea. While serving traditional flavors of korean cuisine, the Han brothers have collaborated to create a contemporary Korean menu, bringing a new flair to Toronto dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swish by Han reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)romantic (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AlbertDined on 7/29/2014Menu has changed dramatically. Music is always too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhill..Jw13Dined on 7/14/20143rd time coming here.. They were very great a few years ago but I find the food to be not as great as I remember. Some dishes haven't changed but some have gotten worse. Also the first table we got was covered with ants. While I still think fondly of this restaurant, probably won't be recommending it to my friends anymore.Special Features:
- I Love Swish by Han!Swishfan3Dined on 6/28/2014My 3rd time visiting S by H and this time I brought 5 others with me. At first glance, the menu looks sparse, however, you must ask for a description of each dish - the Korean names of the dishes don't have any descriptors so leaves the average diner baffled. Maybe the lack of English explanation on the menu is hurting their walk-in traffic (their signage also sucks - you'd never know your standing in front of it when you're standing in front of it!) Once you find out what is actually in each dish and how it is prepared, you can make educated choices. The food is superb, the waitstaff friendly and helpful, but towards the end of the night, the music gets turned up (or just seems) unnecessarily loud.Special Features:
- Going Down HillLouLouDined on 6/16/2014Prices have increased lately. The menu is a tattered photo copy of a computer printout, that doesn't say anything about what the item is. The beef was extremely fatty and tough. Too bad, because this used to be my favourite go-to lunch place.Special Features:
- Authentically WonderfulFancyGirlDined on 6/14/2014Each dish is more spectacular than the last with a different taste sensation for each. Consistent good quality food with a hipster vibe atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014We have been many times and always experience consistently fabulous food. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Not Korean BBQ!!OmnivoreDined on 5/23/2014Don't be misled by the old menu shown here on open table. This restaurant has ceased tabletop BBQ (maybe because they have no ventilation?). So I came here under false pretences and left unhappy, searching for a real Korean BBQ. When I suggested that they might update their online menu, the staff blamed open table… The cocktails were nice though...
- a little treat!discoveryDined on 5/23/2014love the decor, very comfortable. the food tasty. service was fine. the music grew louder as the night went on where we found we had to shout.Special Features:
- The following 350 reviews are from the Swish by Han reviews archive.
- VirtuosoDined on 5/15/2014I've been twice now with small groups and the food is good. It's basically Korean Tapas with a few main meals also available. The Tapas portions are so small that you'll have to order a lot to fill the group. My only complaint is that they change the menu so often that I haven't been able to go back for a favourite dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodfastDined on 5/5/2014I went to Swish by Han along with 4 colleagues for a team dinner. The food, service and ambiance was excellent. I loved the spicy pork sliders, the seaweed salad, the Ssäm, ...Special Features:
- Hard to find but worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Three of us met up for dinner here after work one night and we greatly enjoyed ourselves! The door is a little hard to find (it is in the same alcove as Trevor's, just off to the side). We walked past it a few times but once we got in it was great fun! The wine menu was limited and it seemed more expensive for a bottle than glasses but the food was good. We really enjoyed the pork belly dumplings and the chicken plate (the sauce was yummy!!!). The hot pot was taken off the menu which was disappointing but the restaurant is still worth a visit for a light dinner or late meet up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hello, is there anybody out thereFredDined on 5/1/2014Ahhh, our second time to this great food restaurant. special occasion? - age 80+ auntie (Toronto WASP) in from Uxbridge for lunch And she loved the food (less the chillies) loved it and was so excited about the flavours. She would never have found Swish on her own, and did have trouble finding it with us as there is nothing to tell you - "this is Swish by Han" or #38... Anyways we had the pear salad, shrimp, tofu and then beef lettuce make a wrap thingee and everything was finished, with my aunt so excited about trying these new flavours courtesy of us. We felt the kitchen has got things - dang right baby! unfortunately the staff did not seem like they could care less about us and auntie left a $5.00 tip!Special Features:
- Moderate to GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014They changed their menu and removed some of the items I enjoyed before their renovation/menu change. No longer a go-to spot for me. It's a chame.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014I have dined at Swish at least 10 times over the last few years. This night I was disappointed to see such a small menu without some of my favorites. I understand menus change and I'm all for that, but to take such an extensive menu and pare it down to a dozen items or so was not what I had expected especially when the website didn't show the updated menu. Also, when did 20% become the automatic gratuity? When you pay with a credit card your options are a cash amount or 20%. The service wasn't that great.
- Too expensiveComensalDined on 4/10/2014Taste is overall good but small portions and ridiculously expensive. Charged us 20% tip.Special Features:
- The food here was amazing,LisakoVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food here was amazing, as I remember from the previous times I have been to Swish by Han. However, I found the menu to be more limited than in the past. What we did order was delicious, but there certainly were fewer choices. Also, it is very cold and drafty by the door. We requested a table farther inside the restaurant, but were told that those tables were reserved. We had also reserved and it was quite some time before those tables were filled, so we did not appreciate that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible.Foodie0899Dined on 4/3/2014The mackerel starter included 10 small slices, and the highlight of the dish? The waitress came over to the table and torched it. Gimmick. The chicken wings were good and there were 3 on the plate. [That sounds like an appropriately priced starter at $12.] Finally, the mains were an exhibition of style over substance, served Toronto style! The ambiance at Swish is pleasant. The taste is OK, the portions are tiny. The servers are disinterested though not as awful as other commentators have made out below. The owners of Swish by Han are laughing all the way to the bank. There's so much potential in this city but as diners we need to foster a culture that doesn't accept mediocrity. Vote with your feet and dine somewhere else.
- I ate here back in OctoberpeachiiDined on 4/2/2014I ate here back in October 2013 and LOVED the twist on traditional Korean food. I was pretty disappointed to come back here and find that the menu had changed. There were a lot less items, and the menu centred more around 'fast food' instead of the nice sophisticated dishes I tried previously. I'm not as interested in sliders, fried chicken wings, and tacos. Thank goodness the pork belly ssam set was still there - but they have cut out a lot of the ssam set options. I'm also sad I never got to try the swish! It's really disappointing. It seems like it became more like Oddseoul - which is good, but Swish by Han had a unique traditional side that I loved.Special Features:
- Great but not much to choose fromAYoungDined on 3/28/2014Swish has great, unique dishes (you can tell Swish pays attention to detail) with an energetic vibe and good service. Although I would suggest they bring back their original Swish menu because I highly doubt many patrons would go here mainly for appetizers and share dishes. While the food is top quality, there are not a lot of choices on the menu and it leaves you with little to be desired by the end of your meal. The cocktails and wine list is also lacking of choice. Overall, its a type of place you don't need to return to because you would have had everything on the menu the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hip little lunch spotkaskmiDined on 3/20/2014I went to Swish by Han for lunch with a colleague who hadn't previously eaten much Korean food and we both had a great time. We made a 12:15PM reso with no problems. We shared two appies and a main (a kimchi poached pear salad, fried tofu with a kimchi, chili pepper and green onion topping, and a bibimbap-style fried rice bowl), and both enjoyed - savoury, flavourful and not too greasy at all despite being fried. It's a bit of a "take" on typical Korean food but it's done well. We also shared a bottle of sake (it was a fun lunch). Ambience was chill, the decor/lighting was thoughtful and laid back, music was modern but not too loud. It's a good option for lunch if you work around the financial district and don't want a pretentious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious menu & great serviceFoodSisterhoodDined on 3/18/2014I went on a Tuesday night with a friend with high expectations. Finding a parking spot by the restaurant was a breeze and when we stepped in, I immediately loved the interior. They had traditional korean ceramics around the restaurants and a big wallpaper of korean jang-dok while still being modern. I found that the decor foreshadowed their menu, which highlights traditional korean with a twist. We had their pork belly ssam set - favourite of the night. Don't be shy to get messy and eat with your hands as that's what you're supposed to do. The pork was cooked perfectly and the crunch of the fresh veggies was perfect. Their spicy pork tostadas were amazing as well along with torched mackerel, SBH wings and kimbap tacos!Special Features:
- Terrible MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014They completely changed the menu. Gone are all of the dishes we frequently craved, including the signature soups. It's all been replaced by fatty, heavy foods that seem to be a Korean version of pub food... Chicken wings? Tuna Melt?! Absolutely all of it was too heavy to have for lunch, and some of the items just seemed wrong. When I think Korean pork sandwich, I sure don't think American cheese. Bottom line: the new menu has ruined the reasons I loved to lunch at Swish. I have heard the same thing from 4 other people who I know used to eat there at least once a month. All of us mourn the loss, and do not intend to return as long as the current menu exists. But I bet it's good for Sukho's business...so they owe you some thanks.
- New Menu disappointingSleepyDined on 3/15/2014I've been here a number of times in the past for lunch, and we checked out the website for the dinner menu before we got there to ensure we would find something we liked. But when we got there, the menu had been completely changed, and most items had pork in them (which 3 of the 4 of us didn't eat). Also the oxtail platter was pretty bland with little meat, a let down compared to what I've had in the past. Hopefully the menu will be refined over the coming months.Special Features:
- Tuna tacos were incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Tuna tacos were incredible. Food overall was amazing. We had an amazing cherry bourbon drink too. Definitely give this place a try. You'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hope this was just a bad day ...elRonconVIPDined on 3/8/2014We've frequented Swish for a few years and love the staff and all their dishes. Unfortunately both the menu and service came as a surprise Saturday night. First they were out of Sapporo draft by 8pm...it's Saturday night! Next was the change of menu from their Korean fusion to the Odd Seoul'esque all tapas style. The dishes this time around are more mayonnaisey and their use of thick hot dog buns leaves a lot to be desired. Worst part of the evening was waiting 35min for the servers to come back to our table to refill our drinks. Even tried waving them down, but they would not make eye contact. We gave up, paid our $36 tab & hit the Firkin across the street for nachos. Hope this was just a bad night...we may be back.
- One of my favourite TO restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Fantastic restaurant. Great food and atmosphere. A great place to go with a small group of friends to share platters and have some drinks in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for a girls' night outWriterjaclynDined on 1/29/2014My four friends and I split 7 or 8 dishes plus dessert -- it was fun and delicious.Special Features:
- Turn down the music!LovegoodfoodBUTDined on 1/25/2014I bring friends here for the food but every time I have to ask repeatedly for them to turn down the music. It's really loud and completely takes over, making conversation difficult. Way too loud and really distracting. If I wanted that music I'd go out to hear music! I go out to dinner to enjoy FOOD and CONVERSATION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwishKoladaDined on 1/24/2014Pretty much a Korean tapas place but in a good way everything we had (pork sticky bun, tempura prawns and braised beef) was great portion size was decent, have had disappointments in the past where you pay $5 bucks for two zucchini slices and this was definitely not the case @ Swish Definitely not a quick place, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and can be a good thing but just not somewhere where you can be in and out in 30 mins Overall, it was a really good borderline great place and would whole-heartedly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their food is always on pointCourtneyCDined on 1/15/2014Their food is always on point and perfectly made. Service is always good and never too intrusive. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great foodchampDined on 1/6/2014The food was excellent and interesting. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and quick serviceDeanVIPDined on 1/2/2014This was my fourth time here and I have enjoyed it every time. The service is quick and the food is very good. Overall good value. I like the exposed brick and wood interior but it felt more comfortable in July than in January.Special Features:
- New Years Swish...LoveTOFoodDined on 12/31/2013No special New Years menu which was fine by us as their regular menu is terrific. Food is consistently excellent. If you're planning on having a leisurely dinner and savor each dish, tell them. Otherwise you will get your dishes seconds apart and you feel rushed through the meal. I had forgot about this... Wine starts at $40 a bottle. If going in winter, get seated at the rear of restaurant - it's pretty cold at the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & deliciousalwayshungryVIPDined on 12/18/2013Refined Korean with friendly efficient service. Best to order family style. Lobster bi-bim-bap, braised beef, short-rib special and pork neck tacos outstanding. Good music at reasonable decibel level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty goodnessWestenderDined on 12/13/2013Really enjoyed our meal here. The food was very tasty. Be sure to let staff know if it's your first time so that they can make suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for small groupsscwleungDined on 12/13/2013Was there on a Friday night with a friend from out of town. Shared some tapas with a main course. Noise level wasn't loud and I was able to hear my friend clearly from across the table. Great value and great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/5/2013Expensive compared to food quality I'd rather go to Miss Korea near Yonge&BloorSpecial Features:
- Waier clearly did not want to workOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2013Met a hostess?? with a blank stare. She walked to a table, placed some menus & walked away. Later, returned w/ blank stare. We said we were new & had Qs. Finally, she spoke! Later, there was another staff; she smiled, dropped a plate off; we had to squint at the menu to determine what item she gave us. Useless service continued. We presumed there would be basic service at the least. Overall experience was disappointing, especially for price point & location. We may as well have been at home helping ourselves to the food on the stove. The food was nice; we enjoy Korean food. I had eyed this place for some time so my husband brought me here for my birthday. Credit card machine suggests a 20% tip. HAA! joke. Will not bring friends/family.
- Really love the foodtheatregalDined on 11/2/2013This was our third visit and the food has always been fantastic. Each item is SO tasty. Great for sharing, lots to choose from. Korean meets downtown.Special Features:
- Neighbourhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/31/2013Food was very good but some dishes came out too fast and some too slow. Music and ambience was well-received. Servers were attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. As the night got busier, service became slower. Understaffed for a busy night.Special Features: