531 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://swinenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-7675
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Swine
Swine's mission is to attract a community of people from all New York City neighborhoods who have great taste and expect quality food and drink, but who enjoy spending time in a laid back neighborhood restaurant setting with people of like minds. The Swine team are all well-educated about Swine's food and beverage offerings, and are easy-going teachers able to guide guests through the experience. We combine food and drink selections at wide price points, amazing music, sexy ambiance, "rock and roll" vibe, but along with warm service to create a sense of "place" in order to reach our goal of being the fine food and beverage loving New Yorker's spot of choice. Swine is not a gimmick. Swine is the embodiment of its owners' ideas about where they and their friends would want to spend their time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swine reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (18)late-night find (13)great for brunch (11)special occasion (10)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great find.acohDined on 11/23/2014Really enjoyed Swine. Great place for a casual brunch or lunch in a cool setting. The egg white omelette is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2014Only ordered the burger and short rib but both were extremely poor; the short rib came with some mac and cheese, but it was awful- under cooked, under seasoned, etc. It was really bad. We complained and the waiter kindly gave us 50% off, which somewhat made up for the poor food but certainly wouldn't bring me back any time soon!Special Features:
- Unique and lively local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014I have been to Swine many times and often bring people who have been seduced by its charms and good food and drink, and then return on their own. It's friendly, down to earth, has a great laid back vibe with great drinks and wines, and a terrific menu. In a high end, homogenized neighborhood like the West Village, this place is a welcome throwback to a time when the area had genuine local haunts and a somewhat edgier atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epitomy of NY coolpinballheroineDined on 11/20/2014I'm already planning my return visit to Swine! A friend brought me here for after-work drinks which turned into dinner and a few rounds of pinball. The food was amazing. I had the bone marrow & brisket burger and a side of brussels sprouts. The burger was, hands down, one of the best in the city (and I like my beef!); so moist, tasty and cooked to perfection. My vegetarian friend was also impressed and satiated with her wedge salad (minus the bacon), potato wedges and picked vegetable plate. We ended up staying after dinner for the pinball, great wine selection and good music. There are not many places in the city that get me excited anymore. I'm so glad I found Swine. It's my new neighborhood fav.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backBenjaminDined on 11/18/2014I am definitely coming back for several different occasions. The service is great, the food is to die for, and the atmosphere... just amazing. Music choices were fantastic, I loved the decor, and overall everyone was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love this place!foodsieDined on 11/18/2014Love love this place! Amazing staff and the burger is to die for. We had a lovely time and will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeEastVilGuyDined on 11/15/2014This place is different than most places in the West Village. A bit rock and roll and not stuffy, but with good food and a great vibe. Plus a beer, wine and cocktail program that stands up well to its amazing neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to hang out and eat and drink at.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/15/2014I've been going to Swine since it opened in 2012, but I have to say it's really at its prime right now. The menu is delicious and offers a lot of items that I can't seem to choose from because I want to eat everything! I also love that they have wine on tap. That's my kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014They had a great list of wine and craft beer list to help you start the evening right. The menu was just the right size with each dish sounding better than the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of baconNYCdinerDined on 11/9/2014But they no longer do a sampler, just applewood, sadly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell FlatBurgerLover82Dined on 11/8/2014Looks like a very cute neighborhood joint. We thought it was more of a restaurant than a bar. The menu looked really good as did the positive reviews on yelp so that's why we tried it out. It was not crowded at all (maybe 5 other ppl dining when we entered). Service was slow. I asked for hot sauce; took forever. I ordered biscuits but there was no butter. The pork chop with gravy was small and they didnt' include extra gravy. Upon asking for both extra gravy and butter, I had to ask 2-3 times. Server didn't stop by to ask me for coffee refills (although the coffee was good). My friend had the Motherclucker Sandwich. It was alright but mostly bread heavy. She ended up picking off a lot of the bread and said chicken was just ok.Special Features:
- Southern Food with NY TwistJalanTexasDined on 10/28/2014Flew in from Texas for a week of meetings and a collegue recommended this place. Great neighborhood find and excellent food. I had the pulled pork sandawich and a salad- great comfort food as the weather temps started to drop. Highly recommend and will return next time in Manhattan.
- Fancy Fancynomnomnom11Dined on 10/10/2014Despite the restaurant name this place is quite trendy - dimly lit, great cocktails and fancy/eclectic food choice. The entrees were a little pricey for my taste but I was certainly full after my bone marrow & brisket burger, which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night DinnerCelebrationGirlDined on 10/10/2014We had a reservation for 10 for a celebration on a Friday night. It was a fun spot, but given we are at a long table and there was music playing, it made it a bit hard to hear and therefore we had to speak loudly to those farther down the table. We didn't mind given it wasn't a quiet restaurant and we were enjoying the ambiance. Unfortunately we were too loud for some of the neighboring tables, which caused the manager to come over and ask us to quiet down, which put a damper on our celebration and didn't think we were overly loud given the music playing. Thankfully our waiter was awesome, the food was good (try the figs), and reduced price wine list was awesome. Overall, good experience and would go back, just not with a large group.
- Best burger I've had in a long timeProdo1Dined on 10/8/2014We were just walking down 13W when we found this place. The menu is fit for foodies but I was in the mood got a good burger & I was very pleased with the one I was served. The portion size was perfect and it was juicy deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude WaitressfleurdeselVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food at Swine was good and unique. We didn't enjoy our experience because of our waitress. Half our party was late so I can understand that she might be frustrated, but that is no excuse for rolling her eyes at us while we were ordering and asking questions about the menu. We ordered the roasted bone marrow and foie gras and we asked extra bread. We were charged $2 for an extra 4 slices of bread! That's absurd as I could buy a loaf of bread for $2! As she was removing our plates to bring out the entrees, one of us wanted to bring home the bones for his dog and she said, "If I bring you a box, will you do it yourself?" Lastly, she kept trying to clear our plates when we were still eating and there was still food on the plates.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceAlexVIPDined on 9/26/2014Could not have had a better experience at Swine. Came recommended by a friend and he was spot on. The food was delicious and the service was amazing. Our waiter was always there when we needed him and he made sure we had a great time. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Good food, a little overpriced.Claudio82Dined on 9/24/2014The bone marrow is certainly the highlight. The burger and pulled pork-based stuff deserves attention too. The wine list is decent but a little too pricey compared to similar avenues. Location and ambience also really nice. Maybe a little expensive considering other options in the area which serve similar menus.Special Features:
- Saturday NightbbeeDined on 8/23/2014I made a reservation via OpenTable well in advance but when we arrived our table wasn't ready and we ended up being seated in the bar. Our server took forever to greet our table and copped an attitude when my cousin asked for a clean water glass because hers had lipstick all over it. His attitude continued when my mom inquired about a gluten free menu. I asked the bar tender to send the manager over but never spoke to him because he never came to our table through out our entire meal. Minus the kitchen forgetting the slaw on mine and my dad's pulled pork sandwiches, the food was good. I'm pretty disappointed given this was a special occasion with my parents in town visiting and our first experience with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PorkyVMJCDined on 8/17/2014I love the food at this place. Unfortunately this time we sat downstairs in a corner which is not as good as the first time when a larger group of us had the front table upstairs (now taken over at Brunch time by a DJ - spins great records but... waste of the best table in the place) Will be back though, no fear of thatSpecial Features:
- Good food but coldfoodexplorerDined on 8/16/2014The food was good but the food for the most part came out cold- had the short rib with Mac and cheese and it was kind of sad when the Mac and cheese was cold. When you ask for a couple more slices of bread for the app - they look to charge you $2. You be the judge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oink!!WWCitizenVIPDined on 8/16/2014What a great surprise! We'd never eaten here before and were very happy to find it. We are meat lovers, so the selections and choices we made were perfect. The pork belly, pork chops, short rib, and all the charcuterie platter choices are excellent. But the absolute, to-die-for entree is the BONE MARROW & BRISKET BURGER. You must - once in your life - have one of these burgers. Amazing! Great place, great vibe and energy, and total hot spot. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was good. It was Friday at 8pm but I didnt expect to have to yell over dinner. The food was alright but its hard to say whether it was worth or not worth it cuz it was so loud. My party of 6 did have a fun dinner. Noise level is high - very fratty on friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted bone marrow was goodoysterbayDined on 7/30/2014Food was generally good. The duck fat cashews were very tasty. The roasted bone marrow was excellent but really pricey at $18. The short rib was awesome and the mac and cheese with was terrific. However, it was another plate that was pricey at $24 for one small piece of short rib. The report on the pulled pork sandwich was good. The burger was ok, but sadly lacking in flavor and the bun disintegrated while trying to eat it. Major disappointment was the asparagus with poached egg. My friend does not eat cheese so she asked for the dish without the cheese part. What she got were about five spears of asparagus with a poached egg on top. She asked for some of the gluten free bread to go with it. $18 and an additional $3 for the bread.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the Swine reviews archive.
- Solid choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/19/2014The menu looked great, and the food was tasty, but they took the foie gras and jelly sandwich off the menu, which is a real bummer. The design-your-own charcuterie board and the marrow burger were both really good (great fries, too). Short rib portion was a bit small, and the mac and cheese under it could have been sharper. Waitress was really friendly and on point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, interesting beers0xFEE1DEADDined on 7/18/2014Great place for a quiet night out. I ordered the Bone Marrow & Brisket Burger based on the rave reviews it gets on Foursquare and I was not disappointed! The Pork Belly is absolutely delicious, too! Good selection of craft beers.Special Features:
- good but quite noisynyroastVIPDined on 7/18/2014Very good quick service. food was mixed: great burger, duck, pork chops. So-so dates with bacon (overcooked), pickled veg (undercooked), good pork belly. Nice wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Lovers A Must TryCougarDined on 7/17/2014Bacon wrapped dates were AMAZING! Pulled pork sandwich was delicious and I loved the sauce they used. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/8/2014We liked the concept--good pork and good wine. And the spaces were appealing, though it seems that the upstairs is overly loud and the downstairs overly quiet. But there needs to be quite a bit more professionalism both in the cooking and the serving. One splendid dish (pork belly), but the other cooked main courses were lackluster. And the service managed to be a bit intrusive and a bit incompetent at the same time.
- We had fun . . .Thewb123VIPDined on 6/28/2014. . . food is good value and original. But for a table of 6, the noise level was just not conducive to a good time. The waitstaff kept apologizing for the loud music. You need to be under 30 to really APPRECIATE this place.Special Features:
- the name says it allTapRm1Dined on 6/27/2014If you are a carnivore, you will be happy here. The burger with bone marrow was soooo good, although you might not taste the marrow so much if you eat it with the bun. It's a rich dish, so you can eat everything else and feel perfectly full, and skip the bread. We also had the cashews in duck fat and bacon-wrapped dates, which were also really really good. It's a small place with very few tables, so a reservation is essential. It's a young crowd and there are almost no tables that aren't in the bar, so not a place for kids or crowds. Each table seats 2!Special Features:
- Get thee to swine, you swine!Sully38VIPDined on 6/24/2014Food tasted fabulous and was thoughtfully plated, music selection was great (lots of CCR) and service was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pig-tasticwilltravelforfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great find on Hudson Street. This small space has a nice bar with great cocktails and a farm-to-table like menu. I highly recommend anything with bacon or pork, it's divine!Special Features:
- way too loudmarblenoseDined on 6/7/2014The waiter was amazing. The staff was attentive and professional. The noise level was off the charts with blasting hard rock playing so loud we had to shout to have a conversation. When we asked to have the music turned down the waiter told us he turned the music down and the owner kept turning it back up. That took away from the experience. Not good for business. It could be a really special place.Special Features:
- Missed opportunityMissedopportunityDined on 6/6/2014I'm a whole animal head butcher/chef in NYC and in Cleveland. I make many of these items and found that they could of easily been a knockout. The braised short ribs had a catchy description but didn't didn't taste some components. Duck terrine surprisingly had no seasoning. And served with burnt bread. The burger wedges that had no texture. Super soft. I asked the people next to us about theirs and they enjoyed everything except an 11$ salad that was "just leaves" as they put it. My fiancé's drink was not tasty either being 13$/drink. Supposed to have jalapeño. If you order something with jalapeño chances are you wanna taste jalapeño. Grilled cheese/bacon was as thin as paper. The cheese and tomato were perfect! Expected more from Swine.Special Features:
- Rollicking casual W Village hangBarkerDined on 6/4/2014We ate upstairs in the bar at Swine, thus can't comment on the quieter downstairs room. Very good meat...(it ain't for vegetarians), excellent choice of sides. Even though the neighborhood is packed with dining options, I would head there again soon to further investigate their menu.Special Features:
- slow servicespurDined on 6/1/2014went there for brunch. apart from our group, there was only one other table of diners. it took about 30 to 45 mins for our food to arrive. the place was not at all busy. now i know why.
- Yummy & friendlyNeighborVIPDined on 5/23/2014The food has an unexpected lightness. The cocktails have surprising twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent burger, awful servicegreenwichvillageDined on 5/10/2014burger menu with gluten free options. But once our group of 7 was served, everything fell apart. Appetizers came sporadically, entree's came an hour after the app's---others were served before that came in after our group. They need some help in restaurant logistics. I don't see this place lasting long.Special Features:
- Upstairs / DownstairsBillVIPDined on 5/2/2014The bar was fantastic. Happy Hour drinks two for one. The chees and meat board came with delicious jams. Outstanding. Downstairs was a disappointment. On a Friday night, after our order was taken, and after our wine arrived everything stopped. The Health inspector arrived and we waited over an hour to get our food. A disaster!I would recommend this to a friend.