531 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://swinenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122557675x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Swine
Swine's mission is to attract a community of people from all New York City neighborhoods who have great taste and expect quality food and drink, but who enjoy spending time in a laid back neighborhood restaurant setting with people of like minds. The Swine team are all well-educated about Swine's food and beverage offerings, and are easy-going teachers able to guide guests through the experience. We combine food and drink selections at wide price points, amazing music, sexy ambiance, "rock and roll" vibe, but along with warm service to create a sense of "place" in order to reach our goal of being the fine food and beverage loving New Yorker's spot of choice. Swine is not a gimmick. Swine is the embodiment of its owners' ideas about where they and their friends would want to spend their time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swine reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (15)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Saturday NightbbeeDined on 8/23/2014I made a reservation via OpenTable well in advance but when we arrived our table wasn't ready and we ended up being seated in the bar. Our server took forever to greet our table and copped an attitude when my cousin asked for a clean water glass because hers had lipstick all over it. His attitude continued when my mom inquired about a gluten free menu. I asked the bar tender to send the manager over but never spoke to him because he never came to our table through out our entire meal. Minus the kitchen forgetting the slaw on mine and my dad's pulled pork sandwiches, the food was good. I'm pretty disappointed given this was a special occasion with my parents in town visiting and our first experience with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PorkyVMJCDined on 8/17/2014I love the food at this place. Unfortunately this time we sat downstairs in a corner which is not as good as the first time when a larger group of us had the front table upstairs (now taken over at Brunch time by a DJ - spins great records but... waste of the best table in the place) Will be back though, no fear of thatSpecial Features:
- Good food but coldfoodexplorerDined on 8/16/2014The food was good but the food for the most part came out cold- had the short rib with Mac and cheese and it was kind of sad when the Mac and cheese was cold. When you ask for a couple more slices of bread for the app - they look to charge you $2. You be the judge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oink!!WWCitizenDined on 8/16/2014What a great surprise! We'd never eaten here before and were very happy to find it. We are meat lovers, so the selections and choices we made were perfect. The pork belly, pork chops, short rib, and all the charcuterie platter choices are excellent. But the absolute, to-die-for entree is the BONE MARROW & BRISKET BURGER. You must - once in your life - have one of these burgers. Amazing! Great place, great vibe and energy, and total hot spot. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was good. It was Friday at 8pm but I didnt expect to have to yell over dinner. The food was alright but its hard to say whether it was worth or not worth it cuz it was so loud. My party of 6 did have a fun dinner. Noise level is high - very fratty on friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted bone marrow was goodoysterbayDined on 7/30/2014Food was generally good. The duck fat cashews were very tasty. The roasted bone marrow was excellent but really pricey at $18. The short rib was awesome and the mac and cheese with was terrific. However, it was another plate that was pricey at $24 for one small piece of short rib. The report on the pulled pork sandwich was good. The burger was ok, but sadly lacking in flavor and the bun disintegrated while trying to eat it. Major disappointment was the asparagus with poached egg. My friend does not eat cheese so she asked for the dish without the cheese part. What she got were about five spears of asparagus with a poached egg on top. She asked for some of the gluten free bread to go with it. $18 and an additional $3 for the bread.Special Features:
- Solid choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/19/2014The menu looked great, and the food was tasty, but they took the foie gras and jelly sandwich off the menu, which is a real bummer. The design-your-own charcuterie board and the marrow burger were both really good (great fries, too). Short rib portion was a bit small, and the mac and cheese under it could have been sharper. Waitress was really friendly and on point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, interesting beers0xFEE1DEADDined on 7/18/2014Great place for a quiet night out. I ordered the Bone Marrow & Brisket Burger based on the rave reviews it gets on Foursquare and I was not disappointed! The Pork Belly is absolutely delicious, too! Good selection of craft beers.Special Features:
- good but quite noisynyroastVIPDined on 7/18/2014Very good quick service. food was mixed: great burger, duck, pork chops. So-so dates with bacon (overcooked), pickled veg (undercooked), good pork belly. Nice wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Lovers A Must TryCougarDined on 7/17/2014Bacon wrapped dates were AMAZING! Pulled pork sandwich was delicious and I loved the sauce they used. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/8/2014We liked the concept--good pork and good wine. And the spaces were appealing, though it seems that the upstairs is overly loud and the downstairs overly quiet. But there needs to be quite a bit more professionalism both in the cooking and the serving. One splendid dish (pork belly), but the other cooked main courses were lackluster. And the service managed to be a bit intrusive and a bit incompetent at the same time.
- We had fun . . .Thewb123VIPDined on 6/28/2014. . . food is good value and original. But for a table of 6, the noise level was just not conducive to a good time. The waitstaff kept apologizing for the loud music. You need to be under 30 to really APPRECIATE this place.Special Features:
- the name says it allTapRm1Dined on 6/27/2014If you are a carnivore, you will be happy here. The burger with bone marrow was soooo good, although you might not taste the marrow so much if you eat it with the bun. It's a rich dish, so you can eat everything else and feel perfectly full, and skip the bread. We also had the cashews in duck fat and bacon-wrapped dates, which were also really really good. It's a small place with very few tables, so a reservation is essential. It's a young crowd and there are almost no tables that aren't in the bar, so not a place for kids or crowds. Each table seats 2!Special Features:
- Get thee to swine, you swine!Sully38VIPDined on 6/24/2014Food tasted fabulous and was thoughtfully plated, music selection was great (lots of CCR) and service was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pig-tasticwilltravelforfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great find on Hudson Street. This small space has a nice bar with great cocktails and a farm-to-table like menu. I highly recommend anything with bacon or pork, it's divine!Special Features:
- way too loudmarblenoseDined on 6/7/2014The waiter was amazing. The staff was attentive and professional. The noise level was off the charts with blasting hard rock playing so loud we had to shout to have a conversation. When we asked to have the music turned down the waiter told us he turned the music down and the owner kept turning it back up. That took away from the experience. Not good for business. It could be a really special place.Special Features:
- Missed opportunityMissedopportunityDined on 6/6/2014I'm a whole animal head butcher/chef in NYC and in Cleveland. I make many of these items and found that they could of easily been a knockout. The braised short ribs had a catchy description but didn't didn't taste some components. Duck terrine surprisingly had no seasoning. And served with burnt bread. The burger wedges that had no texture. Super soft. I asked the people next to us about theirs and they enjoyed everything except an 11$ salad that was "just leaves" as they put it. My fiancé's drink was not tasty either being 13$/drink. Supposed to have jalapeño. If you order something with jalapeño chances are you wanna taste jalapeño. Grilled cheese/bacon was as thin as paper. The cheese and tomato were perfect! Expected more from Swine.Special Features:
- Rollicking casual W Village hangBarkerDined on 6/4/2014We ate upstairs in the bar at Swine, thus can't comment on the quieter downstairs room. Very good meat...(it ain't for vegetarians), excellent choice of sides. Even though the neighborhood is packed with dining options, I would head there again soon to further investigate their menu.Special Features:
- slow servicespurDined on 6/1/2014went there for brunch. apart from our group, there was only one other table of diners. it took about 30 to 45 mins for our food to arrive. the place was not at all busy. now i know why.
- Yummy & friendlyNeighborVIPDined on 5/23/2014The food has an unexpected lightness. The cocktails have surprising twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Swine reviews archive.
- decent burger, awful servicegreenwichvillageDined on 5/10/2014burger menu with gluten free options. But once our group of 7 was served, everything fell apart. Appetizers came sporadically, entree's came an hour after the app's---others were served before that came in after our group. They need some help in restaurant logistics. I don't see this place lasting long.Special Features:
- Upstairs / DownstairsBillVIPDined on 5/2/2014The bar was fantastic. Happy Hour drinks two for one. The chees and meat board came with delicious jams. Outstanding. Downstairs was a disappointment. On a Friday night, after our order was taken, and after our wine arrived everything stopped. The Health inspector arrived and we waited over an hour to get our food. A disaster!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014I was disappointed in Swine. It was my first time here with a group of 5 for a friends birthday brunch so we made a reservation for 1:30....The server mentioned when we sat down that the kitchen was a little "backed up" so it might be a little bit if a wait for food, we all had drinks so we were patient and figured a little bit of a wait was no big deal ...we didn't get our food for over 2 hours!! 3:45 everything finally came out and it was cold! One of my friends even asked how the kitchen was so backed up when the restaurant seemed to be empty upstairs and the servers reply was "it's busy downstairs" we are a very laid back group and we were very understanding but 2 hours is a ridiculous wait for cold food. Such a disappointment :(
- FIT FOR PIGS EVERYWHERECB24Dined on 4/22/2014The restaurant is cool without trying to be. The food is excellent. We tried the bacon cashew nuts, the grilled cheese and the signature pork chop. They were all great. The drinks sound insane, but taste delicious. The wait staff was friendly and attentive unlike some of the other places in the hood which strive to be uber, and therefore aren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pig LoverssbromDined on 4/20/2014The only disappointment was that they had taken the chicken and waffles off of the menu. The bone marrow and brisket burger is quite possibly the best burger on earth. The biscuits with homemade jam were perfectly southern. Also great cocktail list.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening SpotAlynseyVIPDined on 4/18/2014We recently enjoyed dinner at Swine as part of my sister's Bachelorette Weekend (it was a classy weekend...)! What a delightful experience! My sister and I both have Celiac Disease, so we really appreciated the Gluten-Free menu! The GF Grilled Cheese was DELICIOUS and the Potato Chip Nachos are a must try! Our group had a wonderful time and we would recommend this dinner spot to anyone (assuming they eat pork)!Special Features:
- Out of beer?MiamangiaVIPDined on 4/16/2014You go to a place like this for beer, right? So how are you not able to tap another keg when one runs out? It happened to our party of two twice. Then asked for a can, but they were out of that as well... Sauce on pork belly and short ribs tasted too much like sweet and sour at a Chinese restaurant. Too expensive for what it was.Special Features:
- Love Love LoveMcleangirlDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I have been to Swine appx 5 times since it opened and it just gets better every time we go....from the minute you walk in the door - during the meal - the service is awesome...not overbearing just the equivalent of a group of people welcoming you into their home and then treating you like a great friend....the boards and the main courses are excellent and the cocktails and the wine list are exactly what we look for in a restaurant...I can't say enough....LOVE THIS PLACE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hope it was an off night...WVillageresidentVIPDined on 4/12/2014because I want more restaurants like this to succeed in our 'hood, but I was very disappointed for Saturday night dinner. When I see pork belly, I think moist and melt in your mouth. We got fried and hard pork in duck sauce. Bacon mac n cheese was WAY salty. Use less salt. Taste your food! And when I think of fish n chips, I think thick potato wedges, as it says on the menu. We got potato shavings, thinner than shoestring fries. I was only told after I asked that the menu is changing. Chicken and waffles came with two overcooked boneless chicken pieces. They were dark brown, not golden brown. Okay, the marrow and brisket burger was juicy and cooked perfectly, but also got the same potato shavings and not the wedges that u see on website.
- Best BurgersCJM22VIPDined on 4/5/2014I have been coming to Swine for over a year now and they make the best burgers in the biz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The joint smells greatNeighborVIPDined on 3/28/2014When I walked in the first thing that I noticed was that I smelled food. It was a good smell. The kind that makes your mouth water. The only thing that was weird was we arrived about 20 minutes early to a clearly not full restaurant and they wouldn't seat us yi our reservation time. The food was amazing. Great beers and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine S'wineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2014The restaurant is shabby-chic hip, check web site. My group was seated in a freezing cold alcove with a strong winter draft blowing through, not a great start. Service was very good, knowledgeable and attentive. We started with bacon infused bourbon cocktails, awesome and warming! We had snacks of bacon wrapped dates and a plate of bone marrow w/grilled bread to share. Both were perfectly prepared and great for sharing. Noteworthy starters included fried green tomatoes and pork belly with a sweet chili glaze, also good to share. The balsamic short rib entree was great, but the juicy marrow/brisket burger is the best I can remember eating anywhere, anytime. Everything was delicious, but double down on your statin drugs ahead of time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGJStanleyDined on 3/22/20145 star food at 3 star prices. Cocktails, wine and food all as good as NYC gets. Also, love the pinball machine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time...bayloryankeeDined on 3/21/2014Other than the fact that wine list was a weird binder instead of an actual LIST, hint hint, the wine was nice, the service was great, the apps were good. The potato chip nachos were very good for example. My date and I both had a wonderful time. Overall, great hip place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar & Service Yes, Food MaybeCarerofEvilDined on 3/18/2014Went there after a show the other night. Seated right away & given option of upstairs or downstairs since it was first night of live band karoke and they didn't know how loud it would be. Opted for upstairs. Drinks & service were great. Room was fun. Food, only so so. Everything was under seasoned, with fried green tomatoes & pork belly luke warm. Porkbelly flavor, however, was wonderful (only properly seasoned dish). Chicken was just not good. Brisket/bone marrow burger was cooked perfectly, but again, lacked seasoning. Fried twinkie hit the spot. Karoke was entertaining and not obtrusive. Bottom line, I's go back for drinks, room, karoke, maybe apps, but not full dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Staff and cool placeTrish31TriDined on 3/16/2014The staff was very friendly and extremely accommodating for brunch. I originally made a reso for 5, but then our party was cut down to 3 and they did not mind. We had a few hiccups - i ordered the Hangover Sandwich that first came w/o baconor avocado and the potatoes for all of our meals were cold. They apologized and remade our orders, while comp'ing our drinks. They were extremely gracious. I've heard a lot of good things about this place so maybe it was an off day. With a name like Swine, I was expected some more created uses of pork, ham and bacon than the menu features, but it's a cute place that I will definitely go back to again for a West Village brunch or lunch.Special Features:
- Came to Swine after hearingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/11/2014Came to Swine after hearing great things about the charcuterie, pork belly and burger. While I didn't get a chance to sample the charcuterie, the pork belly and hamburger made for a satisfying meal. The pork belly wasn't as fatty as I would've liked and the sauce it was in was a little too reminiscent of the duck sauce you may get from a Chinese restaurant. While that obviously isn't a ringing endorsement it was still a darn tasty starter. The bone marrow and brisket burger with potato wedges was excellent though. The burger was cooked to perfection and the blend had a great taste accompanied very well by the gruyere-like cheese and onions. The potatoes also cooked and seasoned very well. I'd return for the charcuterie and burger...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome SpotSalGalDined on 3/8/2014Swine was an awesome find. We were traveling NYC and found it on the map. It's website won us over and then once we actually arrived we were even more impressed. The food, decor, atmosphere were all exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for the young atJudyChasDined on 3/1/2014Good food for the young at heart and young in spirit. We probably exceeded the average age of most patrons by a factor of four. The staff was very attentive and guided us in our selection to speed up our visit. (We had theatre nearby and had a little over an hour to curtain).Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Good ServiceChaseDined on 3/1/2014Loved this restaurant - had wanted to try for dinner, but wait was too long. Very glad that we came back from brunch. Boozy brunch for $25 is a good deal as drinks are ~$12, unless you're ordering the Micheladas which are only $6. Our table had the Bone Marrow/Brisket Burger, Pulled Pork Sandwich and Hangover Sandwich - all were good!Special Features: