217 North Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.swigmilwaukee.com/
- Phone: 4144317944x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week for Lunch at 11am. Dinner served till 10pm Weeknights and 11pm Weekends.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alex Sazama
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private space can accommodate 10-125 guests; great for group gatherings, corporate receptions & dinners, celebrations, rehearsal dinners and holiday parties. No matter the occasion, Swig is the perfect location for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Peschel (414)455-2115x
A word from Swig
Celebrating almost 10 years as Milwaukee's first small plate dining restaurant. Now serving small plates, salads, sandwiches and entrees. It's meant to be a fun, shared experience where guests can choose from a variety of flavors and sample several menu items each visit. Start with just a couple of choices and see where our menu takes you. The menu also features martinis, an eclectic array of wines and champagnes as well as award-winning deserts. Swig's earthy tones offer a warm and cozy environment that makes for perfect place to spend your evening and experience a classy, big-city atmosphere in Milwaukee's Third Ward.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Swig reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (20)special occasion (18)hot spot (17)good for groups (13)great for lunch (13)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- enjoyed small plate varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Server was vey knowledgeable of menu items. Very loud- hard to hear conversation- we did have a table of about 12 not too far from us.Special Features:
- Dinner September 20PaulamilwaukeeDined on 9/20/2014We sat outside. Our server did a good job until our entrees arrived. My husband's beef arrived 10 minutes after the other dishes, and it was well-done. He had ordered medium rare. Then a busboy came to refill our classes and knocked my full glass of water over the table, my chair, and on the ground. My napkin ended up soaked, and I had to ask him for another napkin. No one ever came to mop up the water, nor did anyone check to make sure that my chair wasn't wet. The waitress did end up not charging us for the beef. I will not be coming again.Special Features:
- Music too loudeagl3sVIPDined on 9/19/2014although our waitress was asked to turn down the music, she was told that the level was as low as permitted by management. However, the bass in the songs they played was just too loud...perhaps what they need are different artists playing music that is more in tune (pun intended) with having a pleasant dinner.
- Awesome service and foodHannerDined on 9/13/2014From the time we were greeted, to our waiter, and the manager checking in, we had fantastic, friendly service. The menu selection was delightful and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancecwill28Dined on 9/12/2014Very good place for food. Recommend the pork loin. Feels like eating in Europe with open airSpecial Features:
- Great Find!LovesfoodandwineDined on 8/29/2014I made reservations following a friend's positive visit. The differences were we dined outside rather than inside, and we were there for dinner vs. lunch. The menu is not huge, but everything was freshly prepared and delicious. Both my husband and I chose a pasta dish that you could add your choice of protein to. The grilled chicken on my butternut squash-filled pasta was cooked to perfection, and my husband enjoyed his Asian-inspired orzo dish that he added scallops to. We also started with fresh snap peas served tempura style and with a tarragon cream for dipping. Our server started out a little "stuffy" but he warmed up to us and provided solid service. I would go again, and I definitely want to try the quinoa burger at lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service lackingMKEgal1984Dined on 8/22/2014It took nearly 25 minutes before a server came to our table and that was only after I had told the hostess we had not been seen by a server. Additionally, our server was very quiet and difficult to hear at times. We all thought that maybe serving was not his thing. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet lunch optionsMelindaCogsDined on 8/22/2014Great outdoor seating and quality food with an amazing presentation is offered in this Third Ward gem.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantNG1981Dined on 8/21/2014Really enjoyed ordering a bunch of small plates. We will go back.Special Features:
- Always a treat!ChrisVIPDined on 8/16/2014We came to town for Irish Fest, but decided to eat something better than Festival food. Swig, as usual, filled the bill. I did discover that I've apparently developed a seafood allergy (what the wha??) this past week, so my seared tuna salad, while awesome, triggered a reaction and I couldn't finish it. My husband had a lobster-stuffed poblano with picante sauce. He said it was excellent. My cocktail was also wonderful. We'll be back - although I probably won't have seafood. :(Special Features:
- MKEdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was exceptional. My dining companion and I both had the beef tenderloin skewers off the small plates menu and they were perfectly prepared and delicious. I had the scallop salad with strawberries, grapes and mandarin oranges - very tasty. Nice wine by the glass selection. Just the right place for a nice dinner before going to the theater at the Skylight. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Hidden gem in Milwaukee. Great quality of food and wonderful atmosphere, would definitely reccommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2014We dined at Swig on Saturday, July 26th and were disappointed. We have dined at this restaurant several times in the past and always had a pleasant experience. We arrived for our early 5pm reservation. We attempted to order the sea bass and we told the restaurant had already run out. We ordered a second bottle of wine and after our waiter disappeared for a long period, he returned to tell us that they had run out of that too. We then ordered a different bottle and by the time he returned, we were basically done with our meals. I will give them another chance since I have enjoyed this restaurant and others owned by Hospitality Democracy in the past.
- Great ambience, Bland FoodfoodieDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I dined at Swig for our anniversary. While we admired the ambience, the food was incredibly bland. When we notified the server when asked how the food was, she commented to us, "I hear that a lot." That tells me we weren't the only ones who had the same taste observations.Special Features:
- Great drinks and food.HercsmomDined on 7/12/2014Great overall experience. Food and drinks were terrific. We didn't feel rushed. Courses were well timed. We will be back and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Diamond in the ruffbonappetitDined on 7/9/2014What a menu! Creative, fun, fresh and diverse. More importantly, everything was prepared to perfection. Our waiter was terrific in helping us to make our selections.... invaluable help when there are so many enticing choices. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Organic, healthy choiceswh0caresVIPDined on 7/8/2014Hard to choose what to order. Many interesting options. Love they support local farms and offer organic selections. I ordered the pan seared scallop salad and thought the scallops tasted weird. The server insisted she bring me replacement for scallops, such as shrimp or beef. It really wasn't important since I was just providing constructive feedback to the kitchen. Well she brought out grilled shrimp. Also the manager personally apologized, offered a free dessert, AND adjusted my bill. They went way over the top to make the experience very positive, despite one thing not being as expected. I've been here before and it's never been a disappointment. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night for SwigsurprisemeDined on 7/6/2014I am a Swig regular and love the place, but they had an off night on Sunday. Only one white wine on the half-price Happy Hour list and they were out of it -- no substitute. Ordered one from the regular full price menu, and when we ordered a second bottle, they were out of that too. Also out of halibut and didn't let us know until the order was put in and rejected. Only one item on the small plate list is gluten-free limits options if you have a gluten-free diner in your party.Special Features:
- Less than MediocreNormalPersonDined on 7/4/2014- The server was 'Meh' and unenthusiastic - The food was cold and NOT delicious Shrimp in the ravioli was too chewy Pork medallions were so overcooked you had to GNAW on them - White Sangria tasted like watered down Pellegrino OVERALL not a very good experience. Would not come back to eat less than mediocre food and have our alcohol returned to the bar. It was SO terrible that each and every one of my friends agreed to write reviews on Yelp and such. Save yourself some money. Not worth
- Exactly as expectednicknameDined on 6/20/2014The food was tasty but not impressive. The service was fine - when asked for details about the two pinot noirs served by the glass the waitress read for me what was printed on the menu. Our group had the snap peas tempura and they would have been better served hot not luke warm. The ceviche was delicious but the baked brie was more breading and pastry covered in raspberry preserves with very very little brie. I'd order the Caesar salad again, and the filet with broccolini and mushrooms was good. I'd go back, but I'm not in a rush.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmkejkDined on 6/10/2014We went for downtown dining week. I really appreciated their attempt to showcase some of their menu and not just serve another burger or pulled pork sandwich to get through the week like many other local restaurants did. I really enjoyed the crab cake, salad and the sandwich and the portions were very generous. I will definitely be returning to try their general menu. It was easy to make a reservation and the service was prompt and polite.Special Features:
- Great date night!!!KrissyDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I very rarely get to have a night out without our kids. We always wanted to try Swig and it did not disappoint. The downtown dining menu gave a great insite into the wonderful food that they have to offer. Cannot wait to come back and try other things on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014Service was very quick, and friendly. Food was good.Special Features:
- good foodlarryDined on 6/7/2014thought the menu choices were interesting, and most were very tasty. the gnocchi is awesome
- Trendyfortcranbry713Dined on 6/6/2014Good wine list. Food was good, but nothing was exceptional. I would return for the atmosphere, not the food. The restaurant is very dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Dining WeeklunchdateDined on 6/6/2014We'd never been to Swig prior to doing so during Downtown Dining Week. We were overall very impressed and will return. The only negative to the experience was the parking - which isn't a reflection of the food or service and is outside of restaurant control. Next time, we'll allow more time for parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Dining Week experimentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014I went to Swig as part of Downtown Dining Week. The service was excellent. My wine was yummy. I was a little disappointed in the curry chicken appetizer, and my entree did not fair too much better. However, there were a number of other things that looked good to me on the menu, so I would go again. I just went with the bargain because it was Downtown Dining Week. Oops, I almost left out that my dessert was DELICIOUS, which made it all worth while. They also gave me a discount because the server noticed I was less than satisfied with my appetizer and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mary StockOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014THEY HAVE BY FAR THE BEST BEET SALAD I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Service is wonderful and I haven't had a bad meal there yet. Always my first choice of place to goSpecial Features:
- martini heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The martinis are worth the price! Definitely the best one I have had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from Start to FinishANewGuestDined on 5/31/2014We took my parents here before a show, knowing we could easily walk to the theater. The staff asked if we had theater tickets and were aware of our time constraints -- and kept this in mind during our time there. The salads, entrees and small plates were all delicious! Our water glasses were never empty. We were well taken care of. Thanks for a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 492 reviews are from the Swig reviews archive.
- Loved it!KemiDined on 5/23/2014Swig was awesome. Dreha and mojito drinks were delish. Great selection of tapas- try the hummus, beers or need tenderloin tapas. Chilean sea bass and salmon are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Food and service were very good. Tremndous value for the price. Similar entree's in Chicago would be priced twice as high for same quality! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Our evening started off great with the wonderful service we received at the bar. When it came time to getting a table, we were told that the front is usually reserved for groups and that we could sit in the back area. We pondered leaving and they sat us up front after hearing that we may leave and go elsewhere. Overall, food just ok. The seafood stack app should be evenly chopped up an uniform in presentation. They also don't serve sandwiches after 5pm which is a huge disappointment. They are taking the loss of a $12 burger for dinner and keeping it for lunch only.Special Features:
- On eventfulronoDined on 5/9/2014For a short wine list they did not have many of the wines in inventory, but did allow us to order a very good Camyus for auch lower price than listed. the fish and scallops that we ordered smelled great but their sauces lacked any flavor.
- Great Find and a Great ValueFormerozDined on 5/1/2014Every year for our kids birthdays we have always let them pick a restaurant for their birthday dinner. This year my daughter for her 16th wanted something different. Her sister, a UWM student, recommended she try something in the 3rd Ward (we live in western suburbs). She glanced at a few online menus and decided upon Swig. The food was fabulous! The waiter upon hearing it was our daughter's birthday offered her a free dessert. Again delicious. I for one was surprised by the bill amount. It was far less than what I had expected to pay in the Third Ward. I would highly recommend Swig to family and friends looking for a great place to eat.Special Features:
- Very nice, but a little noisyJessL202Dined on 4/12/2014We had a great dinner but there isn't a lot of room between tables so it can be a little loud. The food was very good! The Snickers dessert was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Waitress!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Carrie served my wife and I. What a fabulous personality, and ability to time her service to us. She was also able to offer good menu advice. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter was awkwardKBdineDined on 3/7/2014WAITER: BAD. Our waiter was so quiet and we could have sworn he was high because he kept smiling at random times and was talking SO quietly (the restaurant isn't even a loud place) DRINKS: AMAZING. Our drinks were amazing!!!!! One of the best places to get a specialty drink in town. So wonderful. My personal favorite is the Berry Sexy. FOOD: OKAY We ordered 3 small plates. The lobster was just okay. The wonton wrapped Chicken curry was not at all what I expected (in a bad way) and very bland. The only redeemable dish was the bruschetta, which was absolute perfection, however I do not know how you can mess up bruschetta ;) Going forward I am only going to recommend this place to a friendbased on the ambience & wonderful drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ambiance!OrganicGirlDined on 2/14/2014Loved everything about Swig from the moment we walked in until we walked out!!! Service was friendly, ambiance was warm and inviting and food was excellent! Love the choices and feel of the place was fantastic! Will go back many times!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went on a cold TuesdayKathymDined on 2/11/2014We went on a cold Tuesday night in February, so the restaurant was not busy. We ordered mostly small plates, and mostly they were excellent. I wouldnt bother getting the deep fried chicken curry thing again. The flatbread, mussels, crabcake and stuffed poblano were fab. We also got the gnocchi which was delicious. Service was great until the end when our waitress never came back to take the bill and our credit card. We had to flag down another server. The atmosphere is cool...kind of industrial. I love the gas fireplace also. I will go back in the summer. The place has a large glass garage door on its facade, and I think it'd be great to eat there with that door open in june.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.