217 North Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.swigmilwaukee.com/
- Phone: (414) 431-7944
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week for Lunch at 11am. Dinner served till 10pm Weeknights and 11pm Weekends.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alex Sazama
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private space can accommodate 10-125 guests; great for group gatherings, corporate receptions & dinners, celebrations, rehearsal dinners and holiday parties. No matter the occasion, Swig is the perfect location for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Peschel (414)455-2115x
A word from Swig
Celebrating almost 10 years as Milwaukee's first small plate dining restaurant. Now serving small plates, salads, sandwiches and entrees. It's meant to be a fun, shared experience where guests can choose from a variety of flavors and sample several menu items each visit. Start with just a couple of choices and see where our menu takes you. The menu also features martinis, an eclectic array of wines and champagnes as well as award-winning deserts. Swig's earthy tones offer a warm and cozy environment that makes for perfect place to spend your evening and experience a classy, big-city atmosphere in Milwaukee's Third Ward.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Swig reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (18)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Only take a Swig.....MuttBunkeyDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I have been here a couple times before and tried it again on 11/22/14. Had reservations and when we arrived, we had to wait over 5 minutes for a table that should have been ready. Noise level is high due to no carpeting/wall hangings to absorb sound. Average age of patrons we saw was the 25-35 age group, all with noses in their smart phones. Typical, huh ? Ordered a whiskey sour cocktail based on a review I read by a prior patron and all I got was a drink over ice cubes. Not a cocktail. Server was relatively inexperienced. Ordered crab cakes appetizer that were about a silver dollar in size, served with corn/diced tomato relish and a remoulade. Nicely done. Tempura snap peas were served with sour cream dip and were fair.....tempura didn't stick to the peas well and probably needed an egg wash prior to the coating. Wife ordered chicken, which looked like white meat wrapped over asparagus and gorgonzola cheese. She liked it, but it's hard to do chicken poorly. I ordered a filet mignon served with a mushroom reduction, bits of onion, and topped with finely julienned sweet potato. The steak was OK. It took 15 min. to get our drinks, almost 30 min. to get appetizers, and dinner was served at the 55 min. mark. Pacing was a little slow for me. There were no dessert offerings on the menu. Swig really needs a true signature item and my suggestion is the crab cakes. Double or triple them in size and make it a dinner. Dessert offerings might keep patrons around longer and the longer patrons stay, the more they may spend. Ice cream drinks might be the ticket. The menu also seemed to cater to female tastes and didn't seem to be the type of food men look for on a menu. So, if you are in the aforementioned 25-35 age group and your life consists of checking your smart phone every 10 seconds, the social scene at Swig is for you. I wish they'd eliminate Wi-Fi in places like this. The food was OK and if you go, expect to be there a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday afternoon... Very quiet.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014I had the salmon and my mom and daughter had the gnocchi.. All was tasty. But I wish our waitress could have given us some tips.. She kept disappearing for a while.. But we did enjoy our dinner before going to the theater!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a fantastic dinner and server. Would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Had an absolutely fantastic time here. The food was fantastic, vegetarian friendly for my wife, and incredible server. We had a blast and plan on returning for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenueatrightDined on 11/7/2014The small plates we choose were excellent. We will definitely be going back, was another 5 + items on the list I wanted to try.Special Features:
- DisapointingToobadVIPDined on 11/5/2014Swig has been one of my Third Ward favorites over the years. This dinner was very disappointing and probably marks my last visit to Swig.
- Nice variety in the menulewiDined on 10/30/2014Atmosphere was nice. Not too loud. Very convenient to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snuggles88Dined on 10/17/2014consistent excellent food and service. Top place in Milwaukee. Tuna Tower and Chilean Sea Bass stand outSpecial Features:
- Hubby's birthdayBlahswigDined on 10/14/2014My husband picked this restaurant because of course it was his birthday and we had never been here before. It was absolutely beautiful! Historic building renovated completely, warm hues, soft music! The food was sub par, for the prices it definitely wasn't worth it. The drinks were ok, again for the price, not worth it.Special Features:
- IncrediblesaladloverDined on 10/9/2014Service was fantastic, we were just in time for the end of happy hour - we all tried something different - wonderful selection of infused vodkas! We tried the snap peas for an appetizer and each of us had a different entree. I could rave about each dish - I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- nice placebigeatsDined on 10/5/2014Fine experience. The food was excellent, and I liked the quiet laid atmosphere. My wife loved her crab cakes, and my chicken dish was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014Stopped for an early Sunday supper. Not crowded. Chilly temperature. 3 ravioli in the Shrimp Ravioli entree for $13? Tasty, but surely not worth it. Kale salad w pumpkin seeds had way too much dressing, and 4 or 5 pumpkin seeds. Nice place, but surely we could have better experiences elsewhere.
- Delicious TapasCJSophieDined on 10/4/2014This is our favorite restaurant to take our daughter to when we come up to Milwaukee to visit her at Marquette University. The atmosphere is a fun combination of urban-chic and cozy. The wine selection is good. The food is delicious. We typically order small plates for the table and share. Our favorites are the crabcakes and the flatbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at SwigOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We had a memorable dinner at Swig. The menu has something for everyone, small plates for those who like to sample and share, wide variety of dinners (great sea food selection), salads, sandwiches. Oh, the tomato soup is to die for! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Disappointed RegularssurprisemeVIPDined on 9/25/2014We tried to take advantage of Happy Hour half price wine. They were out of the Sonoma Cutrer chard and made no substitute available. Felt like bait-and-switch and not the first time this has happened. Why not offer a substitute? Then we ordered another chard off the regular menu and they were out of that as well. Third try we finally got a bottle of wine. At the end of the meal, our waitress actually stacked and scraped our individual dishes at our table, after asking us to pass her our plates. Unbelievable! She was too lazy to make a second trip to pick up our plates after taking away platters. Finding her to pay the bill was another adventure. FYI -the "small plates" seem to be getting larger. We were full after only two.Special Features:
- enjoyed small plate varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Server was vey knowledgeable of menu items. Very loud- hard to hear conversation- we did have a table of about 12 not too far from us.Special Features:
- Dinner September 20PaulamilwaukeeDined on 9/20/2014We sat outside. Our server did a good job until our entrees arrived. My husband's beef arrived 10 minutes after the other dishes, and it was well-done. He had ordered medium rare. Then a busboy came to refill our classes and knocked my full glass of water over the table, my chair, and on the ground. My napkin ended up soaked, and I had to ask him for another napkin. No one ever came to mop up the water, nor did anyone check to make sure that my chair wasn't wet. The waitress did end up not charging us for the beef. I will not be coming again.Special Features:
- Music too loudeagl3sVIPDined on 9/19/2014although our waitress was asked to turn down the music, she was told that the level was as low as permitted by management. However, the bass in the songs they played was just too loud...perhaps what they need are different artists playing music that is more in tune (pun intended) with having a pleasant dinner.
- Awesome service and foodHannerDined on 9/13/2014From the time we were greeted, to our waiter, and the manager checking in, we had fantastic, friendly service. The menu selection was delightful and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancecwill28Dined on 9/12/2014Very good place for food. Recommend the pork loin. Feels like eating in Europe with open airSpecial Features:
- Great Find!LovesfoodandwineDined on 8/29/2014I made reservations following a friend's positive visit. The differences were we dined outside rather than inside, and we were there for dinner vs. lunch. The menu is not huge, but everything was freshly prepared and delicious. Both my husband and I chose a pasta dish that you could add your choice of protein to. The grilled chicken on my butternut squash-filled pasta was cooked to perfection, and my husband enjoyed his Asian-inspired orzo dish that he added scallops to. We also started with fresh snap peas served tempura style and with a tarragon cream for dipping. Our server started out a little "stuffy" but he warmed up to us and provided solid service. I would go again, and I definitely want to try the quinoa burger at lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service lackingMKEgal1984Dined on 8/22/2014It took nearly 25 minutes before a server came to our table and that was only after I had told the hostess we had not been seen by a server. Additionally, our server was very quiet and difficult to hear at times. We all thought that maybe serving was not his thing. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet lunch optionsMelindaCogsDined on 8/22/2014Great outdoor seating and quality food with an amazing presentation is offered in this Third Ward gem.Special Features:
- Good RestaurantNG1981Dined on 8/21/2014Really enjoyed ordering a bunch of small plates. We will go back.Special Features:
- Always a treat!ChrisVIPDined on 8/16/2014We came to town for Irish Fest, but decided to eat something better than Festival food. Swig, as usual, filled the bill. I did discover that I've apparently developed a seafood allergy (what the wha??) this past week, so my seared tuna salad, while awesome, triggered a reaction and I couldn't finish it. My husband had a lobster-stuffed poblano with picante sauce. He said it was excellent. My cocktail was also wonderful. We'll be back - although I probably won't have seafood. :(Special Features:
- MKEdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was exceptional. My dining companion and I both had the beef tenderloin skewers off the small plates menu and they were perfectly prepared and delicious. I had the scallop salad with strawberries, grapes and mandarin oranges - very tasty. Nice wine by the glass selection. Just the right place for a nice dinner before going to the theater at the Skylight. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 512 reviews are from the Swig reviews archive.
- Great food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Hidden gem in Milwaukee. Great quality of food and wonderful atmosphere, would definitely reccommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2014We dined at Swig on Saturday, July 26th and were disappointed. We have dined at this restaurant several times in the past and always had a pleasant experience. We arrived for our early 5pm reservation. We attempted to order the sea bass and we told the restaurant had already run out. We ordered a second bottle of wine and after our waiter disappeared for a long period, he returned to tell us that they had run out of that too. We then ordered a different bottle and by the time he returned, we were basically done with our meals. I will give them another chance since I have enjoyed this restaurant and others owned by Hospitality Democracy in the past.
- Great ambience, Bland FoodfoodieDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I dined at Swig for our anniversary. While we admired the ambience, the food was incredibly bland. When we notified the server when asked how the food was, she commented to us, "I hear that a lot." That tells me we weren't the only ones who had the same taste observations.Special Features:
- Great drinks and food.HercsmomDined on 7/12/2014Great overall experience. Food and drinks were terrific. We didn't feel rushed. Courses were well timed. We will be back and highly recommend.Special Features:
- Diamond in the ruffbonappetitDined on 7/9/2014What a menu! Creative, fun, fresh and diverse. More importantly, everything was prepared to perfection. Our waiter was terrific in helping us to make our selections.... invaluable help when there are so many enticing choices. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Organic, healthy choiceswh0caresVIPDined on 7/8/2014Hard to choose what to order. Many interesting options. Love they support local farms and offer organic selections. I ordered the pan seared scallop salad and thought the scallops tasted weird. The server insisted she bring me replacement for scallops, such as shrimp or beef. It really wasn't important since I was just providing constructive feedback to the kitchen. Well she brought out grilled shrimp. Also the manager personally apologized, offered a free dessert, AND adjusted my bill. They went way over the top to make the experience very positive, despite one thing not being as expected. I've been here before and it's never been a disappointment. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off night for SwigsurprisemeVIPDined on 7/6/2014I am a Swig regular and love the place, but they had an off night on Sunday. Only one white wine on the half-price Happy Hour list and they were out of it -- no substitute. Ordered one from the regular full price menu, and when we ordered a second bottle, they were out of that too. Also out of halibut and didn't let us know until the order was put in and rejected. Only one item on the small plate list is gluten-free limits options if you have a gluten-free diner in your party.Special Features:
- Less than MediocreNormalPersonDined on 7/4/2014- The server was 'Meh' and unenthusiastic - The food was cold and NOT delicious Shrimp in the ravioli was too chewy Pork medallions were so overcooked you had to GNAW on them - White Sangria tasted like watered down Pellegrino OVERALL not a very good experience. Would not come back to eat less than mediocre food and have our alcohol returned to the bar. It was SO terrible that each and every one of my friends agreed to write reviews on Yelp and such. Save yourself some money. Not worth
- Exactly as expectednicknameDined on 6/20/2014The food was tasty but not impressive. The service was fine - when asked for details about the two pinot noirs served by the glass the waitress read for me what was printed on the menu. Our group had the snap peas tempura and they would have been better served hot not luke warm. The ceviche was delicious but the baked brie was more breading and pastry covered in raspberry preserves with very very little brie. I'd order the Caesar salad again, and the filet with broccolini and mushrooms was good. I'd go back, but I'm not in a rush.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmkejkDined on 6/10/2014We went for downtown dining week. I really appreciated their attempt to showcase some of their menu and not just serve another burger or pulled pork sandwich to get through the week like many other local restaurants did. I really enjoyed the crab cake, salad and the sandwich and the portions were very generous. I will definitely be returning to try their general menu. It was easy to make a reservation and the service was prompt and polite.Special Features:
- Great date night!!!KrissyDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I very rarely get to have a night out without our kids. We always wanted to try Swig and it did not disappoint. The downtown dining menu gave a great insite into the wonderful food that they have to offer. Cannot wait to come back and try other things on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014Service was very quick, and friendly. Food was good.Special Features:
- good foodlarryDined on 6/7/2014thought the menu choices were interesting, and most were very tasty. the gnocchi is awesome
- Trendyfortcranbry713VIPDined on 6/6/2014Good wine list. Food was good, but nothing was exceptional. I would return for the atmosphere, not the food. The restaurant is very dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Dining WeeklunchdateDined on 6/6/2014We'd never been to Swig prior to doing so during Downtown Dining Week. We were overall very impressed and will return. The only negative to the experience was the parking - which isn't a reflection of the food or service and is outside of restaurant control. Next time, we'll allow more time for parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.