Sweetwaters on the River
1000 Valley River Way
Eugene, OR 97402Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
Sweetwaters on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.valleyriverinn.com/sweetwaters/
- Phone: 5417431000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Sunday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Michael Thieme
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Roxane Butler 5417431000x52
A word from Sweetwaters on the River
Sweetwaters on the River is a time-honored classic. Located on the banks of the Willamette River, at Valley River Inn. SweetWaters on the River is a Eugene, Oregon restaurant for corporate diners, the culinary tourist and fine food epicurean. With our panoramic view and three season outdoor patio we define the quintessential Oregon dining experience. Predicated upon local producers of meat, produce and unique ingredients such as Oregon truffles, huckleberries and artisan cheeses, this restaurant in Eugene maintains a focus on local and fresh ingredients. Centrally located in the Southern Willamette Valley wine region our unique geographic position is perfect for the wine enthusiast. Our wine list showcases Oregon’s growing wine industry where world class Pinot Noir is compared to the best of those from Burgundy. Guests with a palate for fresh innovative cuisine and an enthusiasm for fine wine will appreciate the unrivaled service and authentic ambiance of Sweetwaters on the River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sweetwaters on the River - Best Restaurants in Eugene ›
Sweetwaters on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (12)special occasion (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (5)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- How do you get a patio table?FoodGrinderDined on 8/15/2014We arrived a few minutes early for our reservations, which included a request for an outdoor table. We were told that there were no outdoor tables available, so we agreed to sit at a table near the window overlooking the river. From our table we could see open tables on the patio, and within minutes of being seated, more opened up. I know I can't say for sure, but I doubt many, if any, of the other people out there had made reservations. The annoyances continued to pile up. Each on their own wasn't a big deal, but all together made for a very unpleasant experience. Redeeming factors: the gentleman refilling the water was prompt and polite and the food was reasonably good. For the price I would expect much better service and treatment.
- Just your average dinerporcsheguyDined on 7/31/2014Well worn, Average food. A tough steak served medium but ordered rare. Not much here, I won't be back.Special Features:
- Stunning ViewJorgeVIPDined on 7/30/2014The river running by the restaurant is stunning. Service was polite and efficient. Crab Chowder is unique and to die for. Great overall experience.Special Features:
- Great view of riverGinnySVIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent dining overlooking the river. Rack of elk was exceptional. We found the service to be friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- unsavory waterssobadVIPDined on 6/25/2014This restaurant was a huge disappointment. The ONLY good thing about it was the view. The service was SLOW, the restaurant was OLD and the food was MEDIOCRE at best. It was completely overpriced, as well. Terrible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2014Not impressed. Food very average and because it was U of Oregon, there was a set menu which was very limited. My drink selection was recommended by the waitress and was awful. The food was very plain and prime rib was very fatty. The best thing was the clam chowder. Would not come back or recommend. Our party of 7 were equally unimpressed.Special Features:
- Not so good....FoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2014Service was generally "fair" at best: had to summon the wait staff multiple times as they paid poor attention to our table. Food quality was "fair" at best: salmon was dry, filet was over-cooked at least one level; i.e., medium was medium-well; risotto was VERY sticky, presentation was definitely not a "wow". Ambience was "fair" at best: weird combination of old wood paneling plus wallpaper that began and ended randomly, and clearly had not been updated in many years; odd blue neon light hanging on the wall as if it were a decoration, but was definitely out of place. The meal price indicated that all areas (food, service, and ambience) would be much better than delivered. It's hard to recommend this place!
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014Nice venue overlooking the Willamette River but disappointing service. Management needs to train their servers to a higher standard as the restaurant projects a finer dining atmosphere with fine selection of wines. Server was not trained on wine etiquette and was not knowledgeable enough about menu items to add value on suggestions or additional information on the entrees. We were served at different times rather than all at the same or close to the same time. It felt like we were eating in a typical hotel coffee shop.
- Great Father's Day MenukencDined on 6/15/2014We always think of Sweet Waters for our special occasions. The prime rib was a special treat for us. We feel very lucky to have this venue in Eugene.Special Features:
- Not impressedfoodie2Dined on 6/14/2014Food was average, overpriced for what we ordered. Set menu, but not advised of this.Special Features:
- Save room for dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2014Sweet waters was running a special menu for Graduation weekend, so we did have limited menu choices. That said we each found something we liked and on the whole the food was very good. My salmon was done perfectly and my dining companions roasted chicken elicited very positive comments. The only detract ion to that point was the less than flavorful Cesar salad ...just not enough dressing oomph..no clear taste of Parmesan or garlic or....in the end the lemon cheesecake made up for the salad in a big way. They either have a great pastry chef or a great source, but it was light, dry & flavorful...perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchJorgeVIPDined on 6/4/2014Very food food. Crab Chowder was a special treat.Special Features:
- Not up to Open Table standardsTinaVIPDined on 5/24/2014Made a reservation at this restaurant for what was supposed to celebrate our last night on the road. No one to check us in, wait staff clearly not interested in our business. Disappointing menu and food preparation. Will not return and will not recommend to others.
- Great spot for graduation dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Our party of 12 had an outstanding dining experience. Everything from the food to the service to the atmosphere was great. The menfolk raved about the prime rib.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Sweetwaters on the River reviews archive.
- Assistants Day LuncheonCathysTakeDined on 4/23/2014Lunch to celebrate assistants day, plus a workers birthday. Food was wonderful, atmosphere was very comfortable. We had a very nice, relaxing lunch. Open table made it so easy to reserve a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchziggy123456789open123456Dined on 4/20/2014loved our afternoon brunch. Great server!!! very friendly and great service!!!!! The food was excellent and loved the river view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat at table next to a coupleMikeVIPDined on 3/17/2014Sat at table next to a couple of dirty tables. No one came to the table after several minutes waiting, so I moved to the bar. Bartender was attentive, but the overall experience was lacking.Special Features:
- An old favoriteHobbitLovrDined on 2/16/2014Delicious food with the best view of the Willamette River in Eugene. Desserts are always special. A little dated but still classy, the atmosphere is so relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not over the top.TpetplayrDined on 2/14/2014When I arrived, I had a table for 4, and they got it ready immediately. However, it was Valentines day, and therefore they said, there was a 90 min. wait for food. We were only there for desert, thus we had no issues whatsoever. The wait staff was friendly, and fairly prompt, and our order didn't take long. The only down sides were that the deserts (except for the chocolate tower) were minuscule, and the waiter only came back once to refill our water and check if we needed anything. Aside from those minor issues, the atmosphere was good, (not as quiet as I expected, but not loud either) and the tiered seating was nice. I will definitely go back to try the entree's to see if they live up to their price tag. All in all, an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delay was okSweetSamDined on 2/14/2014Our service was wonderful. The kitchen got a bit backed up. Our reservation was for 8:30 but we did not seat until 9:30. Although we had a wait, we didn't mind for the most part because we had time to unwind and converse in the bar.Special Features:
- worst valentines evergoobermonsterDined on 2/14/2014This was the worst dining experience ever, not only did we have to wait twenty minutes to be seated with a reservation when we finally were seated around 8:20 we were informed the kitchen was behind... This was only the beginning. After about an hour or so I was notified that they had run out of the filet, but they had some prime rib instead. Well around 9:00 pm we had finally received an order of fondue and two shrimp cocktails, not sure where the fondue came from and the extra cocktail, we never did see the salad. About half an hour later we finally got our entrées, the halibut was jerkey dry, the rice crunchy and over cooked. My prime rib was salty and overcooked. Avoid this place like the plague!
- Great but dissapointedMildlyDissapointedDined on 2/14/2014The food was great and so was the service with one slightly disappointing exception. The seating was disappointing. I made the reservation several days in advance and asked for a seating with a view of the river but we were placed in a middle seating that seemed awkward in that we were very close to the table that was next to the window. I would have chalked it up to full reservations except the couple that got the window table had just walked in without reservations based on the conversation we could not avoid hearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Especially nice on Valentines.Tbear19Dined on 2/14/2014This place has a beautiful view of the river. Great food and attentive servers. The beef was superior. The Mrs. loved the Salmon. Very romantic. Expensive, but worth it for us, for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is okay2014CelebrateDined on 1/1/2014If you're looking to impress someone with your willingne$$ to invest in an opportunity for a variety of food, this is it. Prepare for standard but cool breakfast items and under-cooked sliced beef which accompanies the pasta, potato and salad options. Good if it were about half the price.Special Features:
- So many great choices, theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013So many great choices, the food was amazing! And your chocolate layer cake SO good!!!Special Features:
- Nice place to dine in Eugene, OROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013Supper friendly wait staff. Great view of the Willamette River. Good food, coffee, and deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive holiday lunchLoveNolaDined on 12/19/2013I met a close friend here for out pre-Christmas lunch tradition. There were several tables celebrating the holidays and the atmosphere was festive. After we were seated our drink order was taken right away and arrived promptly. We split a ribeye sandwich and each had a cup of crab chowder (which is excellent). This is a nice restaurant to carry on a conversation with others. The ambience is reasonably quiet and you can actually hear what others at the table are saying. Plus, even in the winter, the view of the river is quite nice. We go here several times a year and meet friends by the fire in the bar at times. The bar is a nice cozy cool weather place to meet. In good weather, we like the river deck.Special Features:
- ThanksgivingOutandaboutDined on 11/28/2013My Wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner there. Very nice experience and I will come back. There were many choices of food and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed ThoroughlyMIchDined on 11/28/2013One of the nicer restaurants in Eugene. It's on the banks or the Willamette River. Also, great for a walk along the river before or after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality FoodJorgeVIPDined on 11/27/2013Outstanding crab chowder. If you visit here, you must try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitIvyyDined on 11/10/2013We came for our anniversay. Polite servers. Our dining experience was first rate on our first visit but the food during this visit was lacking. We ordered the chicken/polenta/mushrooms. The vegetables were very good but the chicken was overcooked and the polenta dry. The bread was very hard and the salad was bland. Dessert was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodBBDeDined on 9/14/2013excellent meal facilities are old and need an updateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, solid lunch experiencesyberspriteDined on 9/12/2013We've been here many times and are pleased to see it's recently been updated inside. You just can't beat the view and location directly on the river! The food is usually fairly good; nothing to write home about but nothing horrible. We had very good service this last time around, and would definitely be back for a business lunch or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandinding romantic spotDannyBoyDined on 8/29/2013There's a beautiful view of the river. It's quiet. The service is WONDERFUL. Slow paced. Romantic. Have the tiramisu! It's to die for. The chef has a limited, but outstanding menu (better to have a dozen outstanding dishes than three dozen mediocre ones). The menu leans towards lobster, crab, really great beef, and truffles for fun. All freshly made and outstanding quality. Definitely try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful buy spendybirthdaygirlsDined on 8/23/2013My Sister and I were celebrating both of our birthdays and her new job. The food was wonderful but priced way too high for us. We had halibut. The staff and feel of the place was great. Again, great food, just priced way too high for todays economy.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant on theRickVIPDined on 8/21/2013Excellent restaurant on the river with great patio dining. Nice menu, food well prepared, tasty, with nice portion sizes. Service this trip a little slower than usual, staff a little short handed. Have eaten here a number of times for dinner and lunch, too. Always very consistent. Definitely will be returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with familysweetwatersfanDined on 8/19/2013Yummy food. Very good service. I eat there several times a month--we are treated like family. Love the wait staff!! Cooks can accomodate special dietary requests. See you soon!Special Features:
- nice scenerySpunkyDined on 8/19/2013had a good meal - dessert fabulous -- especially the coconut cake -- Limited menu - mix of fine dining and casual diningSpecial Features:
- 5 star potential...BKk0Dined on 8/7/2013Could use a great chef and menu to easily boost rating up to a 4 or 5 star. The food is okay but reminds me of places I've been that cater to mild, older palate, Midwestern travelers. Maybe throw in some items off the menu at the Belly to spice it up...? Anyway, outdoor seating by a river is rare even though we have miles and miles of it flowing through Eugene, so it is great to sit outside on nice days and it is covered for the other not-so nice days. Oh, on another note, we went to King Estates Winery and they handed out blankets when the temperature dropped one evening. It was great! This restaurant is in a hotel so maybe if they offered the same without being asked would be a sweet idea :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We chose this restaurant becauseDianeDined on 7/31/2013We chose this restaurant because we wanted to conduct a business lunch in a sophisticated setting, on the river, where we knew the food would be very good. We were not disappointed. Our server set a friendly tone to our experience.Special Features: