Sweet Grass Grill
24 Main Street
Tarrytown, NY 10591Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sweet Grass Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sweetgrassgrill.com/
- Phone: 9146310000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - close; Saturday and Sunday: 10:00am - close; Brunch Saturday and Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Executive Chef: Chefs Michael Bianco and Brandon Alvarez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering. Please contact us for menus and a consultation with our chef.
- Private Party Facilities: Special arrangements can be made for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: David Starkey 9146310000
A word from Sweet Grass Grill
A casual restaurant serving local and seasonal food. With relationships with about a half dozen local farms, the menu at Sweet Grass Grill varies week to week depending on the daily harvests. Expect seasonal soups and salads and a changing roster of entrees like their signature baby roast chicken and the freshest sustainably-raised fish. The bar, carved out of a single fallen oak tree from the Rockefeller Preserves, features a great cocktail menu, micro brews on draft and bottle, and many wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sweet Grass Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (66)great for lunch (36)great for brunch (32)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (16)hot spot (13)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (5)late-night find (1)Show More
- Unbelievable Food!TravelNDineDined on 10/18/2014We were in town visiting on a Saturday night and had an amazing experience there. Many of the menu items are vegan (despite not being a vegan restaurant) which was a great touch for someone who is lactose intolerant like myself. I had the honey glazed chicken for my meal and have to say that it was one of the best dishes I have ever had. As someone who frequently tries great restaurants in many cities in the northeast, Sweet Grass Grill was among the best I have visited and for an amazing price (under $20 per person).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ? What happened?MaryBakesCakesnPiesDined on 10/18/2014Usually food is pretty good....this time salmon was dry and the specialty salad was extremely hard and chewy, tasted like end of season kale.Special Features:
- Never disappointedMarieMDined on 10/17/2014We love Sweet Grass Grill. Each time we have been there the food choices and the service do not disappoint. Try the pumpkin martini it's amazing as is the Butternut squash soup. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best vegan foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The menu is chock full of vegan options, and the kitchen can make a lot of then gluten free as well. The shepherd's pie was awesome! The butternut squash soup had so much flavor, and the avocado bruschetta on gluten free bread was amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner, small spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Cute little restaurant on Main Street in Tarrytown. We got sat next to the front window, so that was nice, being able to look out at passersby. We were there on vacation, so it was fun looking out at all of the activity… they were having a Fall Festival while we were there. Food was good, nothing special, but certainly a nice experience.Special Features:
- WowannieDined on 10/17/2014Finally made it for dinner . Got there at 5 and by 5:15 it was packed! Strongly recommend a reservation . So many vegan possibilities. We ordered a bunch and shared them. Can't wait to go back. WAitress was amazing .food was delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful!Going2eatathomeDined on 10/16/2014Waited 15 minutes for the server, when our food finally came out we only had 15 minutes to eat before going to 8:00 show. We literally took one bite of our meal, and I was wondering why I couldn't bite through my cheese burger. They had left the wrapper on the cheese! It was very unappetizing! Had words the staff, they were going comp my meal but not the other (which also had not been eaten) after we said we should call the health department, the manager said to leave and not come back! Not a problem, we were not going to go back!
- Charming little neighborhood placeKarenlc5VIPDined on 10/13/2014Sweet Grass has a cozy atmosphere on the main street of Tarrytown, and an interesting menu. We wanted to get the Vegetarian Wellington, but it wasn't on the menu this week when we got there, and our waiter, who looked clueless when we questioned him about it, couldn't even tell us if it was ever on the menu. So, we ordered a similar dish, veggies wrapped in phyllo, which, while tasty, had too much of one veggie in it...it was sweet potato/carrot? and little else. However, the salmon entree was perfectly cooked, and delicious. The kale side was also good on both entrees. All staff were very nice; our particular waiter just had zero personality and never smiled or showed any enthusiasm for the food.Special Features:
- Great for VegitariansphillypieVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food is quite delicious, however, I had the scallops and cous cous and the portion was pretty small. There were only three scallops served on a bed of cous cous with no sides. I was still hungry. There are many choices for vegetarians and the food is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatstimpy798VIPDined on 10/12/2014I've been to dinner here numerous times over the past few years and am always impressed by the friendly service, moderate prices and wonderfully fresh and innovative cuisine. Last night was no exception. Keep it up! I'll surely be back.Special Features:
- Good Food but Abysmal ServiceMary30VIPDined on 10/12/2014Food took forever and people who arrived long after we did were served first. We wondered if our waiter had forgotten to put our order in but couldn't figure out what the problem was since he was actively avoiding us. We never even got water, which we had requested and our waiter never checked on us once the food was served. I finally asked a bus person if hot sauce were available to which he resplied "I'll check"...Guess he's still looking. We will not return.
- BronxvilleDined on 10/12/2014We made a reservation for brunch on a Sunday at noon- the restaurant seemed fairly busy and they seemed to be dealing with it. The only complaint we had was the food was very s l o w in coming. We waited over an hour for EGGS!!!!!! Because of the time wait I don't believe we'll be back unless we plan on spending all day there.Special Features:
- Good food but....FeedmeDined on 10/12/2014We were a group of 6 with a reservation for 10a for Sunday brunch. We were the 2nd table seated yet it took almost 15 minutes to get our drinks. The waitress told me they were sitting on the bar. That's the last thing I wanted to hear. It seemed like our waitress was also the hostess and I felt like we weren't a priority. She was very pleasant but perhaps needs more training or a hostess on duty. Everyone liked their food but half of mine arrived cold. I really enjoyed the Tofu Scramble but the potatoes were cold. Was it sitting on the bar too?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- annieDined on 10/11/2014I love this place! Casual yet classy. I have only been there for lunch/brunch, would like to get there for dinner. Since I am vegan, there are many options. Staff is very attentive and friendly, went above and beyond to accomodate my 85 year old mother.Special Features:
- Great Find!ChrisVIPDined on 10/10/2014We were in town for the Jack O Lantern Blaze and wanted a nice dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday. The Sweet Grass Grill was a perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian/Vegan dreamJennyjenDined on 10/8/2014Absolutely love this place. Food outstanding. A rare find for Vegans with wonderful variety of selection like their Shepherds Pie and Root Vegetable Strata in phyllo dough. Seasonal cocktails were great. Service is attentive not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog-Friendly DiningKainnaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Super fresh ingredients, beautiful food. Excellent for outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014I made reservations here because we were going to the "Blaze" event 20 mins away. What a great find, we weren't expecting the food to be that great and we really liked the vibe of the place. The wait staff and bus boys were friendly and I would definitely return if I ever found myself in that area again.Special Features:
- Excellent food - amazing dessertMBerthaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Charming spot on a street full of charm. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive. We sat at the bar (though we could have had a table) and the bartender was very attentive and laid back. Perfect balance of friendly and cool. We both had the sea bass special which was perfectly cooked. It came with escarole, chick peas and chorizo. The chorizo was incredible and the fish was full of flavor. The bartender recommended dessert which we don't normally get but he recommended it so well that we decided to split one. Very happy we did. It was, hands down, one of the best desserts I've ever had. It was pears 3 ways - poached in Merlot, pear mousse (more like a foam) and 2 pear crisps. It was perfect. Not to sweet but with the 3 ways complex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian wonderDrfoodieDined on 10/4/2014Great food, great service and extremely reasonable pricing. The area is amazing! I would recommend it to anyone who likes cultured and interesting twists on good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise in TarrytownAepLkpVIPDined on 10/3/2014Try the salmon, amazingly moist and flavorful. And if they did't tell you on the. End, you would never know the shepherd's pie is Vegan. Absolutely delicious. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Neighborhood JoyntHappyCommuteeDined on 9/30/2014Love Sweet Grass Grill from the knowledgeable waiters to the done-to-perfection locally grown menu. Great spot to get in early as it was super hopping on a Tuesday night. When it was filled, the restaurant became quite loud and not as much fun to hang out with conversation. Since it is a neighborhood joint, kids dined there and it felt fine. Just if you're going for a fun night out with a friend, trying to escape your loud family life... time it right and get there earlier like 5:30 or 6 p.m. when the restaurant is just lovely. Food was so amazing and well worth the semi-vibrating sound level when it got busy. Plus, the staff was just over the top great!Special Features:
- Vegetarians dreamVeggieloverDined on 9/28/2014I loved the interesting farm to table menu and the food was delicious! There were many vegetarian options as well as meat/fish. Has the feeling of a homey place not so much an upscale restaurant feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentIzzyDined on 9/23/2014We came here for my mom's birthday the other night and along with great food and great service, they accomadated her specific tastes for a birthday surprise. Lovely ambiance and quiet enough to have personal conversations as well as fell like part of the buzzing night scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sosoveggieDined on 9/21/2014It was ok, staff nice but not well versed in the menu. Black bean burger, had 5 black beans in it, what the orange mush was wasn't clear. Sides were forgotten. i was there for convenience and company. I wouldn't go back for food
- Great food, over an hour to get itCoppertopDined on 9/20/2014I always enjoy my meal here--the food is fresh, recipes are creative, the drinks are great too. Staff is friendly and normally service is just fine; for some reason, this time it took an hour for our dinner to come out. We were headed to a show at the Music Hall, and the restaurant was crowded for sure, but I've been there under such conditions before without any problems. Staff was very apologetic, and in the end, all was well. Will definitely return and keep recommending to othersSpecial Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was amazing and the service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expected this timeJC11devDined on 9/16/2014Took a friend for lunch here after bragging to her how tasty the food is. We had the crab cake sandwich special - it was just ok. Didn't taste fresh. Can't taste the crab! We also had the clam chowder- this was good and tasty . I wished I ordered my usual pasta entry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014Went for Brunch. Good menu with some unique choices like Veggie Hash were very tasty as part of the Lumberjack Pancakes along with Bacon and eggs, any style. Service friendly but a little uneven as we had to ask for an extra cup of coffee and butter several times before being served. Pleasant atmosphere , unique decor , moderate noise levels and good food make it worth returning. Parking convenient on street and municipal lots nearby. Give Sweet Grass Grill a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegan choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Grateful for the creative vegan options. Not just one mundane one like some restaruants do thinking they are being "open". Sweetgrass has a few on the menu and in past even had some vegan specials. I hope they start doing that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014We discovered Sweetgrass about a year ago. Natalia waited on us; Max greeted us and made us feel welcome. Though we have been back a few times - always with good food and service - this past Friday was an echo of the first time we visited. Both Natalia and Max were there and made us, and a friend eating with us for the first time, comfortable and happy with our meals. We had the mushroom strudel, the pasta with mushrooms and truffle, and salmon. All were excellent. We wish we lived closer, but will make it a point to visit whenever in the area.Special Features:
- Good food in a nice locationDinerDined on 9/10/2014I picked this restaurant for it's location and menu. Service was great- nice staff and very attentive. We were there for lunch and everyone at the table enjoyed their sandwiches and salads. Desserts were delicious-I tasted a apple crisp which was superb.Special Features:
- Expect a pub feelFoodieDined on 9/9/2014Our group had mixed feelings about sweetgrass. Our waiter was patient, helpful, and thoroughly attentive.Our lunches included a side order. The side of grains was lacking in flavor but earned a point for texture. Sliced pork sandwiches were large the meat very tender. Desert was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm fresh ingredientsMag415Dined on 9/9/2014I went there for lunch...the server and service were excellent! The menu's offerings did not include fancy foods, but it did include beautifully prepared, farm fresh dishes, one of which was a delicious pulled pork sandwich served with sweet potatoe fries that we're crisp and tasty. The coffee at the end of the meal was French pressed and there was a good selection of teas on the menu as well.Special Features:
- Good but not greatwileecoyoteDined on 8/31/2014Too noisy! Much less appealing space than photos suggest. Food and service were quite good
- Good for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014I have been to Sweet Grass Grill twice-- once for dinner and another time for brunch. The dinner food was good, but brunch food was excellent. Service was pretty slow and I wish they included a drink with the brunch entrees, but the tasty food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Dining with FriendsJoy123Dined on 8/30/2014We were a group of 11 adult women, representing a variety of ages and backgrounds, who arrived from many locations to celebrate life in the face of illness. What a special treat this dining experience turned out to be. There were excellent choices for vegetarians and vegans, meat eaters and seafood lovers. The food arrived quickly and the entrees were delicious and plentiful. The staff felt like friends by evening's end; they were helpful, responsive and patient with our many requests. The bill was shockingly light. I am still feeling guilty that we were over "comped" because I would have paid so much more for this delightful experience. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Sweet grass grill is a nice place to have in the neighborhood, the food was interesting and well done, but not outstanding. My husband raved that his roast chicken was very tasty, my scallops were well cooked but not very flavorful. I had the Sweet grass cosmopolitan and it was delicious and my husband appreciated the interesting beers on tap. Our waitress did not seem particularly experienced, she had no recommendations and was not particularly attentive.It will stay on our list, but not at the top.Special Features:
- yummysnowbeeDined on 8/30/2014menu looks a bit different, more organic but food is delicious and portions are ample. would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Great Vegan OptionsveganqueenDined on 8/25/2014I am vegan and I love this place. They have a few vegan appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts. And on top of that there are many vegan possible items and they are well marked on the menu. All the food is fresh and tasty. Also love that they have both sustainable and organic wines to choose from. I would recommend it to vegans and non vegans alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.