193 Gore Creek Dr.
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sweetbasil-vail.com/
- Phone: 9704760125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Anders
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Ferraro 9704760125
- Special Events: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
A word from Sweet Basil
Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating "bistro-like" energy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sweet Basil - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Sweet Basil reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)special occasion (109)notable wine list (94)great for outdoor dining (89)scenic view (88)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (53)great for lunch (50)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (21)great for brunch (16)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Did not disapointSummerDined on 9/12/2014One of our favorite places in Vail. Our waiter was a delight - wish I had gotten his name. The tomato salad was the best we had ever had - the beet was wonderful also. All entrees were perfect - but that dessert! Awesome. Can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jennifer WilliamsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014I have been to Sweet Basil many times and always had a wonderful experience. This time I was disappointed in the menu selection. For that reason we only enjoyed an appetizer and had dinner elsewhere later. I'll still recommend Sweet Basil to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrlfrmnebGrlfrmnebDined on 9/10/2014Again! A fantastic dining experience. Very attentive service. Beautiful presentation & food out of this world! I have come here over & over when in Vail & never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Paid 30 for salmon and it was gross. For that much money you would expect that the chef would know how to cook salmon right. Very dissappointed. Will never return hereSpecial Features:
- Well Donesbennett53Dined on 9/6/2014Sam does a great jog at when checking and has a firm grip on the goings-on all across the restaurant floor. After that it it just gets better. The pairings of food ingrediendts interesting and pleasing to the palate -- everyone at the table raved about their selection. Well done, Sweet Basil!Special Features:
- kmenglandDined on 9/5/2014oysters were overpriced. ribyeye was excellent. would have preferred to have vegetables on the side not on top of the steak. could have done with more wines at under 70 dollars. I am not saying they were overpriced but there was bias towards top end wines. The noise levels were a bit too high for me.Special Features:
- A GembdvirginiaDined on 9/5/2014Exceeded expectations Love the T bone lamb. Wife loved the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement celebrationKCEngagement4Dined on 9/4/2014Sweet Basil provided the most perfect place to celebrate our recent engagement. The wine and champagne list was impressive, the atmosphere was romantic, and the food was some of the best I've ever had! From the lump blue crab, to the Caesar salad, to the melt-in-your-mouth halibut main course... It was all unbelievably delectable! We'd heard wonderful things about Sweet Basil, and it exceeded all of our highest expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal at Sweet BasilOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Another great evening at Sweet Basil. Our waiter was perfect as was our me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good Enough for the PriceMeandMyBrideVIPDined on 9/2/2014We love really nice restaurants and are not afraid of $100 plus per person places. Some of the best food we've ever eaten was at some pricey joints. This place is nice -- lovely modern decor, outdoor seating with a view of the river. But the service and flavor do not add up to a $250 dinner for two. Pity, this was a big disappointment for us. The reviews certainly pump this place way up, but they just did not deliver for us. Nope, we will not be back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantfood4funDined on 9/1/2014Sweet Basil never disappoints. The chef is creative while serving very clean food. The staff is professional, knowledgable and always seems to add to our dining experience. They handle special dietary needs extremely well....accommodating while still keeping it creative. We have been coming here for years and are always thrilled to be dining at Sweet Basil!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent GreatnessOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014We have been dinning at Sweet Basil for over 15 years and have never had a bad meal there. For us, the consistency is what keeps us coming back. The service is also always great. Thanks again for a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- Sweet Basil's always a favoriteRoscoe46Dined on 8/30/2014We often eat one very nice meal a day and if we are in Vail, for skiing or bike riding we try to have a very nice lunch at Sweet Basil's. It has never disappointed us and often still surprises us with a special dish. Service the best most consistent in Vail. That takes a lot. This week it was a BLT. Sounds simple but one of the best sandwiches I have eaten.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerNawlinsFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We ate at Sweet Basil twice during our recent trip to Vail. The food is so creative and outstanding. I had a party of five and we all tried each others dishes and it was hard to decide who made the best choices. Everything was excellent. Great staff and not pretentious at all. Best restaurant we have eaten at in the Vail area and in the top five of any meal we have eaten anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!!ValleyLocal2014Dined on 8/29/2014The service and the food were outstanding. Atmosphere is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceKatieKatDined on 8/28/2014This was our first time in Vail (my boyfriend and I visited for LDW) and this was our first restaurant experience while visiting. It was amazing. The food was divine, excellent and interesting flavors, beautiful presentation and flawless service. Really a gem in Vail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in fav Vail restaurantLuv4foodDined on 8/28/2014We love Sweet Basil and have never been disappointed until this weekend. The food was just average. The special appetizer - mushroom risotto - lacked flavor. The pork chop was way over-cooked. The monk fish was dry. The only redeeming dish was the staple dessert - sticky toffee pudding cake. I hope this was an anomaly, because we love Sweet Basil, but for the price, it really needs to step up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food FairfoodjunkieDined on 8/27/2014Did not like half as much as one of the competitors, Terra Bistro. The menu was not great.
- changed from perfectionaugust272014Dined on 8/27/2014We have made Sweet Basil a must since its inception. We have a home in vail and visit the restaurant often for lunch and dinner. This past week was no exception. Service was as it has always been for the first 30 minutes. Cocktails and appetizers came in a timely fashion. After 1 1/2 hours we asked for our check.told the waiter we were no longer interested in our entrée. The manager was called.He too insisted we have our entrées which were 'magically' ready, although we never saw them.We explained we were no longer hungry and out of patience. With great reluctance our check was brought to the table. We paid for what we had consumed and left. Was this just " a bad night?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDininginvailDined on 8/23/2014It was good but was somewhat disappointed based on what I had heard. It is very load and tables are close. Portions are on the small size for the price. Was good but not great. Was disappointed in the service. Took a long time to order a drink and was never asked if we wanted another.
- Inventive cuisineChompChimpDined on 8/23/2014Always excellent quality and service. Great wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing entreesdenverdinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had been to Sweet Basil once before, a year ago and had a great experience. So we were excited to return. Drinks, appetizers, and service were all fabulous. And the sweet toffee pudding was out of this world. But unfortunately, the ribeye was thin, dry (which it should not be at medium rare), and poor quality beef. The rack of lamb was decent. And I don't mind paying for really good food, but it was not worth the $60. I can name 5 places with better lamb that are all at least a third less expensive. We'll be looking for a new favorite restaurant in Vail.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchBZappVIPDined on 8/20/2014My team and I enjoyed lunch earlier this week and Adam was an amazing server and host. He surprised and delighted our group and all of the food was absolutely amazing. Looking forward to returning very soon!Special Features:
- Food needs workKalintaDined on 8/18/2014Staff great, location wonderful. Food needs work. Prices out of control. TINY app ruined by mayo. Pork BLT had mayo slapped on big bread. The pork was mushy slices. Loads of pork & lettuce, no flavor but bacon. Skinny fries luke warm. $25 burger little flavor. Ravioli OK, guest ? being polite. Jar Mayo lousy flavor. (Not homemade or even Hellman's.) "Skinny glass" Bloody Mary came with horseradish overload. It was nicely replaced. Replacement had weird taste as well. We were first customers of lunch day. Too bad. Used to be a great place. 3 lunchs, 1 wine, 1 cocktail, 1 app, came to over $100, then tip. Location is on creek in Vail, but food was blah for flavor & price.
- Not impresseddani13VIPDined on 8/17/2014We thought portions were small for the price. We ordered wine and it wasn't chilled. The server did not chill it right away and was not ready for our meal. Just not overall impressed.Special Features:
- Uninspiring and overpricedfoodiemeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Sweet Basil is riding the formerly-good-restaurant-reputation train and they can get away with it due to their prime downtown location, transient clientele who probably won't be back, and high staff turnover. This restaurant came recommended to us and had generally positive historical reviews, but I wish I could just get my money back from dinner the other night. The food is overpriced, the menu was ho-hum (natural chicken breast??), the food was very bland and uninspiring, the wait staff were attentive but made mistakes and were sloppily dressed (including food splatters), the menu had grease stains on it...I can go on. We sent some dishes back for being very poorly cooked and bland (eggplant, vegetables). I will not return here.
- Long time favorite / off night?Luv2dineoutDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I have been coming to sweet basil for years it has never disappointed ....until this last visit . My husband ordered Their soup ( FYI their soups have always been truly amazing ) They decided to switch it up and instead of bringing out your own little piping hot individual sauce pan which they then poured over delectable ingredients, this time they served a luke warm bowl with grease pooling at the top. Sadly followed by the monk fish entree Which was undercooked and underwhelming . Not sure if a new chef was working that night but we were celebrating our anniversary and found it very disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, excellent serviceLaFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/13/2014Service was fantastic. Our waiter was clearly very passionate about the menu and making sure we were pleased. The food selection is interesting. Many of the dishes are Asian-inspired, which I didn't expect. The tomato bisque was strange. It's made with a lobster stock, so it was very fishy. I wouldn't order it again. The caesar was good. The lamb was phenomenal. The pork chop was good. The sticky toffee dessert was incredible. So, my feeling is that the food is overall good with some dishes being better than others.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/12/2014Great meal as always but service was off this time.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014It was out anniversary and SB staff made us feel very special. The food was incredible and the atmosphere very intimate and romantic. Highly recommend for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 years and still greatRidgepoimterDined on 8/10/2014Sweet Basil is a rare restaurant. We have been going for 30 years through 6 chefs and they always produce delicious and original tastes. My shrimp appetizer with corn, mushrooms, and lobster broth was so good that I would have gladly had another for the main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sweet BasilJeanDined on 8/10/2014We really enjoy Sweet Basil and go there regularly when we are in Vail. The food is great and they always find a new twist on favorites. My BLT was very good with wonderful bread and great flavors. They even used heirloom tomatoes. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentTrudezzyVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have dined many times at Sweet Basil, and always considered it to be one of two favorites in Vail. Lunch did not have any specials, and we thought the menu was no where near the innovation and excitement it has been. I had the Salmon Tartare....the pineapple over powered the whole dish. The fries were wimpy. The garden pea and ricotta cannelloni was overpowered by the pea puree. On a plus note the Deviled Eggs were great. We will now be more cautious about making reservations. A real disappointment.
- bijouDined on 8/9/2014Great food and service. The view from the outside deck is probably scenic but we didn't sit there. They did a nice touch for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014I've dined at Sweet Basil many times over many years. The quality of the food is consistently good. I was a little disappointed with this visit, however. The food was good, but not great and the server was professional, but had the personality of a dead fish. He was curt to a fault, but efficient. Sweet Basil usually has very personable staff, so I was surprised. Every restaurant is entitled to the occasional lapse in excellence and I guess the night we ate there was one of those lapses. I'll definitely go back with the expectation that it will be up to their usual high standards.Special Features:
- Dependably ExcellentMaggieRedDined on 8/7/2014Always a treat and delicious. Fusion taste at its best. Presentation impeccable. Service attentive, but not pretentious. On our way to dance performance and were out in time without feeling rushed! We will be back for more and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBoulderDinerDined on 8/5/2014We had dinner at Sweet Basil to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Nice table on the porch overlooking the creek. We both ordered the halibut which was cooked perfectly. Our waiter recommended the Coconut Panna Cotta for desert, which was delicious. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a five star restaurantKittieDined on 8/5/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Vail; however at this visit my menu choice was not acceptable. The lamb sandwich was supposed to be medium rare and it was overlooked and the eggplant was the same. Service was good and an adjustment was made.Special Features:
- Primo!ChefsgirlDined on 8/4/2014Don't miss a dining experience at this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet "Sweet Basil"AlyoopsDined on 8/3/2014Sweet Basil is consistently fine. The food is always fresh, beautifully composed and not overdone. Our server was amazing: professional, friendly and right there when needed. This restaurant is special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.