193 Gore Creek Dr.
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sweetbasil-vail.com/
- Phone: 9704760125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Anders
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Ferraro 9704760125
- Special Events: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
A word from Sweet Basil
Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating "bistro-like" energy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sweet Basil - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Sweet Basil reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)special occasion (92)great for outdoor dining (82)scenic view (79)notable wine list (76)romantic (64)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (44)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (28)good for groups (17)great for brunch (16)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Disappointed in fav Vail restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014We love Sweet Basil and have never been disappointed until this weekend. The food was just average. The special appetizer - mushroom risotto - lacked flavor. The pork chop was way over-cooked. The monk fish was dry. The only redeeming dish was the staple dessert - sticky toffee pudding cake. I hope this was an anomaly, because we love Sweet Basil, but for the price, it really needs to step up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food FairOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Did not like half as much as one of the competitors, Terra Bistro. The menu was not great.
- changed from perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014We have made Sweet Basil a must since its inception. We have a home in vail and visit the restaurant often for lunch and dinner. This past week was no exception. Service was as it has always been for the first 30 minutes. Cocktails and appetizers came in a timely fashion. After 1 1/2 hours we asked for our check.told the waiter we were no longer interested in our entrée. The manager was called.He too insisted we have our entrées which were 'magically' ready, although we never saw them.We explained we were no longer hungry and out of patience. With great reluctance our check was brought to the table. We paid for what we had consumed and left. Was this just " a bad night?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedDininginvailDined on 8/23/2014It was good but was somewhat disappointed based on what I had heard. It is very load and tables are close. Portions are on the small size for the price. Was good but not great. Was disappointed in the service. Took a long time to order a drink and was never asked if we wanted another.
- Inventive cuisineChompChimpDined on 8/23/2014Always excellent quality and service. Great wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing entreesdenverdinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had been to Sweet Basil once before, a year ago and had a great experience. So we were excited to return. Drinks, appetizers, and service were all fabulous. And the sweet toffee pudding was out of this world. But unfortunately, the ribeye was thin, dry (which it should not be at medium rare), and poor quality beef. The rack of lamb was decent. And I don't mind paying for really good food, but it was not worth the $60. I can name 5 places with better lamb that are all at least a third less expensive. We'll be looking for a new favorite restaurant in Vail.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchBZappVIPDined on 8/20/2014My team and I enjoyed lunch earlier this week and Adam was an amazing server and host. He surprised and delighted our group and all of the food was absolutely amazing. Looking forward to returning very soon!Special Features:
- Food needs workKalintaDined on 8/18/2014Staff great, location wonderful. Food needs work. Prices out of control. TINY app ruined by mayo. Pork BLT had mayo slapped on big bread. The pork was mushy slices. Loads of pork & lettuce, no flavor but bacon. Skinny fries luke warm. $25 burger little flavor. Ravioli OK, guest ? being polite. Jar Mayo lousy flavor. (Not homemade or even Hellman's.) "Skinny glass" Bloody Mary came with horseradish overload. It was nicely replaced. Replacement had weird taste as well. We were first customers of lunch day. Too bad. Used to be a great place. 3 lunchs, 1 wine, 1 cocktail, 1 app, came to over $100, then tip. Location is on creek in Vail, but food was blah for flavor & price.
- Not impresseddani13VIPDined on 8/17/2014We thought portions were small for the price. We ordered wine and it wasn't chilled. The server did not chill it right away and was not ready for our meal. Just not overall impressed.Special Features:
- Uninspiring and overpricedfoodiemeVIPDined on 8/16/2014Sweet Basil is riding the formerly-good-restaurant-reputation train and they can get away with it due to their prime downtown location, transient clientele who probably won't be back, and high staff turnover. This restaurant came recommended to us and had generally positive historical reviews, but I wish I could just get my money back from dinner the other night. The food is overpriced, the menu was ho-hum (natural chicken breast??), the food was very bland and uninspiring, the wait staff were attentive but made mistakes and were sloppily dressed (including food splatters), the menu had grease stains on it...I can go on. We sent some dishes back for being very poorly cooked and bland (eggplant, vegetables). I will not return here.
- Long time favorite / off night?Luv2dineoutDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I have been coming to sweet basil for years it has never disappointed ....until this last visit . My husband ordered Their soup ( FYI their soups have always been truly amazing ) They decided to switch it up and instead of bringing out your own little piping hot individual sauce pan which they then poured over delectable ingredients, this time they served a luke warm bowl with grease pooling at the top. Sadly followed by the monk fish entree Which was undercooked and underwhelming . Not sure if a new chef was working that night but we were celebrating our anniversary and found it very disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, excellent serviceLaFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/13/2014Service was fantastic. Our waiter was clearly very passionate about the menu and making sure we were pleased. The food selection is interesting. Many of the dishes are Asian-inspired, which I didn't expect. The tomato bisque was strange. It's made with a lobster stock, so it was very fishy. I wouldn't order it again. The caesar was good. The lamb was phenomenal. The pork chop was good. The sticky toffee dessert was incredible. So, my feeling is that the food is overall good with some dishes being better than others.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/12/2014Great meal as always but service was off this time.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014It was out anniversary and SB staff made us feel very special. The food was incredible and the atmosphere very intimate and romantic. Highly recommend for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 years and still greatRidgepoimterDined on 8/10/2014Sweet Basil is a rare restaurant. We have been going for 30 years through 6 chefs and they always produce delicious and original tastes. My shrimp appetizer with corn, mushrooms, and lobster broth was so good that I would have gladly had another for the main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sweet BasilJeanDined on 8/10/2014We really enjoy Sweet Basil and go there regularly when we are in Vail. The food is great and they always find a new twist on favorites. My BLT was very good with wonderful bread and great flavors. They even used heirloom tomatoes. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentTrudezzyVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have dined many times at Sweet Basil, and always considered it to be one of two favorites in Vail. Lunch did not have any specials, and we thought the menu was no where near the innovation and excitement it has been. I had the Salmon Tartare....the pineapple over powered the whole dish. The fries were wimpy. The garden pea and ricotta cannelloni was overpowered by the pea puree. On a plus note the Deviled Eggs were great. We will now be more cautious about making reservations. A real disappointment.
- bijouDined on 8/9/2014Great food and service. The view from the outside deck is probably scenic but we didn't sit there. They did a nice touch for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014I've dined at Sweet Basil many times over many years. The quality of the food is consistently good. I was a little disappointed with this visit, however. The food was good, but not great and the server was professional, but had the personality of a dead fish. He was curt to a fault, but efficient. Sweet Basil usually has very personable staff, so I was surprised. Every restaurant is entitled to the occasional lapse in excellence and I guess the night we ate there was one of those lapses. I'll definitely go back with the expectation that it will be up to their usual high standards.Special Features:
- Dependably ExcellentMaggieRedDined on 8/7/2014Always a treat and delicious. Fusion taste at its best. Presentation impeccable. Service attentive, but not pretentious. On our way to dance performance and were out in time without feeling rushed! We will be back for more and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBoulderDinerDined on 8/5/2014We had dinner at Sweet Basil to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Nice table on the porch overlooking the creek. We both ordered the halibut which was cooked perfectly. Our waiter recommended the Coconut Panna Cotta for desert, which was delicious. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a five star restaurantKittieDined on 8/5/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Vail; however at this visit my menu choice was not acceptable. The lamb sandwich was supposed to be medium rare and it was overlooked and the eggplant was the same. Service was good and an adjustment was made.Special Features:
- Primo!ChefsgirlDined on 8/4/2014Don't miss a dining experience at this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet "Sweet Basil"AlyoopsDined on 8/3/2014Sweet Basil is consistently fine. The food is always fresh, beautifully composed and not overdone. Our server was amazing: professional, friendly and right there when needed. This restaurant is special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!FoodieDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed our wonderful dinner at Sweet Basil! As a Florida resident, we are pretty picky seafood diners. Our halibut was perfect! Our rib eye was fork tender. We will dine at Sweet Basil again, maybe every night we stay in Vail! At least share a toffee pudding with the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- value not what I expectPatoDined on 7/31/2014Place is nice and food is ok but very expensive for what you get but it's Vail! you pay like a 1 michelin star and it's far from that in service and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dine at SB!AubbieVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have been visiting Vail for 20+ years and SB is always on our dining list. The food is always good and service is nice. That being said, we all had cocktails and while my husband was just starting to sip his, the waiter brought his glass of wine. So then the wine was warm until the entree was served. Also, a longer than necessary wait for our entrees but we did receive dessert on the house due to that so that was very nice. We will be back.Special Features:
- Simply outstandingColoKidDined on 7/29/2014The food, wine and service were all outstanding. The menu did not show any vegetarian options, so we were initially very disappointed. However, when we inquired our server asked us our taste preferences and the chef created entrees respecting those preferences. Both entrees were absolutely fantastic. It turned out to be a far better dining experience than we ever imagined. I'd highly recommend Sweet Basil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Basil always a special treatBeardiesRuleVIPDined on 7/28/2014For many years we have made a point of dining at Sweet Basil every time we are in Vail. It is such a special dining experience and the food is always interesting, delicious and beautifully presented. We both enjoyed superb Caesar salads with anchovies (the real thing...not the salty canned version). I had a delightful halibut dinner and my husband savored his lamb T-bones. We shared a desert... a sinfully delicious coconut medley. Can't wait to go back for more in December. Do NOT miss this wonderful restaurant. Buy the cookbook to gain an appreciation for the amount of work the goes into the preparation of their wonderful dishes.Special Features:
- WonderfulTonyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Better than ever. Delicious Colorado lamb t-bones and oven roasted monkfish. Don't miss the sticky pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceNancyDined on 7/27/2014Everything about the experience was wonderful. The atmosphere, wait staff, food. In addition, it was served in a relaxed style - never felt "pushed".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding wine list in VaildlmsDined on 7/27/2014If you can make your way through the faux that is too much of Vail, a genuinely excellent, original dining experience awaits at Sweet Basil. Menu is focused (at least for brunch the choices are not extensive) and internationally inspired. One of the most amazing wine lists in the west, strongly weighted towards whites, of which French varietals make up the top selections. Tasty appetizers and good vegetarian options. Seating away from the windows is more comfortable and intimate. Service is a bit too prompt but quite professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in Vail!AggiemomVIPDined on 7/25/2014Before our Vail vacation, I read reviews on many of the fine restaurants in the mountain area. We had two couples as guests, so I felt the responsibility to find some really nice restaurants to eat while visiting for a week. Sweet Basil had wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and did not disappoint us. We arrived very tired and stressed after a long drive from Denver to Vail in horrible traffic, rushed to the restaurant and finally were able to relax and enjoy the beginning of our vacation. We were welcomed very nicely, seated in a nice booth and had very friendly wait staff. The dinner was fabulous and just the perfect small portion as my husband & I were able to split a salad and entrée. I would highly recommend Sweet Basil!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet!KimmieDined on 7/25/2014Had a great lunch & would definitely return. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been betterSrgnVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a recent dinner for two. Appetizers of tomato bisque was very good, tomato salad was just that, with minimal amount if the cheese described on menu. Main of steak was ok. Relatively small steak, somewhat fatty. Good accompaniments. Wife's trout very nice. Service good, not great. All in all a good but not great meal especially considering heafty tab.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet BasilWeLoveVailVIPDined on 7/24/2014Sweet Basil remains the best of the best! Absolutely unbeatable.Special Features:
- Great restaurantDenWPVIPDined on 7/24/2014This is a wonderful restaurant & has been for years. It's worth every penny, but I have one complaint: the servers need more training & coaching. They are often arrogant and/or incompetent. It is a shame to have such a dining experience & have to put up with poor or mediocre service.Special Features:
- Sweet Basil still great!ColleenDined on 7/21/2014Although we could only get a 5:30 reservation Sweet Basil was busy. The service was quite good, but they did mix up our first course. After that they were flawless. The view of Gore Creek was very pleasant. Very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- !0 minutes wait at tableEdibleRompsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great food and ambiance. But we waited 10 minutes at our table before a waiter arrived.Special Features:
- Another Outstanding MealwgwghwVIPDined on 7/20/2014We were here 3 weeks ago and gave the restaurant outstanding reviews. Nothing changed this time except to rave about the Halibut, Chicken Breast, Duck, and Roasted Beets salad. Another Outstanding Meal.I would recommend this to a friend.