193 Gore Creek Dr.
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sweetbasil-vail.com/
- Phone: (970) 476-0125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Paul Anders
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Ferraro 9704760125
- Special Events: Private parties are accepted in our new private dining room that seats up to 50ppl. Heavy curtains separate the room to main dining room. Windows along the creek add the perfect ambiance for your event.
A word from Sweet Basil
Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating "bistro-like" energy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Sweet Basil - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Sweet Basil reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)special occasion (92)notable wine list (67)romantic (58)scenic view (41)neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (36)hot spot (36)great for lunch (30)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (17)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Best lunchMountainmommaDined on 11/18/2014Best lunch in the Vail Valley. Food was wonderful and service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An outstanding meal...RaviniVIPDined on 10/22/2014Sweet Basil is a fantastic find in Vail (though it has had a stellar reputation for years). Excellent food, great atmosphere and service. The presentation of the dishes was excellent but not showy or pretentious. Probably the most artfully created comfort food I've even tasted. If you're in Vail you must check out Sweet Basil.Special Features:
- Amazing foodNigeWirralDined on 10/19/2014Booked last minute but what a find. Amazingly talented chef who produces fabulous flavours and presentation. There were four of us dining and each was impressed.Special Features:
- Delicious food!anniversaryyumsDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I ate at Sweet Basil on our anniversary trip to Vail. The food was fantastic, the portions were good (sometimes pricier restaurants give smaller portions), the service was great, and the atmosphere was cozy and relaxed. Great place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Joy.denvergirlDined on 10/17/2014When in Vail to celebrate my birthday, I decided to try Sweet Basil for lunch. I had the most fantastic trout! So when we were deciding where to go when my other son came in town, and we could all celebrate my birthday, I said I wanted to go back to Sweet Basil! And I was not sorry! One of my sons is a food junky and loves to try new foods. I knew that the menu had a lot for him to try! He said it was the best food he had ever had. I was very happy that my family enjoyed our evening. And as a birthday bonus, the gave me a free glass of champagne, gave me a menu with birthday notation, and wrote Happy Birthday on my dessert bowl and it had a candle. Thank God there was no embarrassing broo-haha. The simple gestures made my evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsSatisfiedsteevDined on 10/11/2014Better than we hoped for. Outstanding flavors, timing, relaxed top service. I challenge anyrestaurant to equal sweet basil, they would claim the top of their market. SB is simply the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must for Fine DiningLimey60Dined on 10/11/2014Food was fantastic and we were well taken care of by the attentive staff. Duck breast was most amazing I've ever had. Wine were not economical but very good, and proclaimed river overlook was non-existant. However, the overall experience was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTimKDined on 10/9/2014The food and the service exceeded expectations. I give it 5 stars in every category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat...KristenVIPDined on 10/5/2014Sweet Basil is one of my favorite restaurants in Vail - and they delivered again. However it is becoming more and more expensive - relative to other very fine dining restaurants nearby - and not clear the difference warrants it. We had an excellent server and a wonderful meal - Aside from the smaller dining area being a bit loud, it was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable FlavorsGluttonMeDined on 10/5/2014The combinations of flavors that we experienced in their food week dishes was something my fiance and I have never been exposed to. It was simply divine. The pumpkin bruschetta, the risotto, and amazing pana cotta brought the definition of flavor profiling to a level we were unaccustomed to. It was delicious. I highly recommend it for a romantic evening out for special occasions as the regular pricing can be expensive.Special Features:
- Died and gone...Foodie4lifeDined on 10/4/2014Eating at Sweet Basil is like dying and going right to heaven...from the moment we walked in we felt welcome. We were greeted with smiles and handshakes...next to the bar with outstanding service! Try the Pimm's #1 Cup...wow! On to dinner, remarkable dinner...try the duck..it melts in your mouth! Dining at Sweet Basil is an amazing romantic setting that will make you feel you're in heaven!FSpecial Features:
- $20.14OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Pleasantly surprised with the $20.14 entrees. Service was spot on, waiter very knowledgeable. Food was cooked and seasoned well, very fresh with ingredients and presentation (though there was undoubtedly 0 black truffle in the cauliflower bisque).
- Sweet indeedindiandinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014Sweet Basils remains Vails hottest, best restaurant. With fabulous foodn attentive service and a beautiful location, it can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We dined here last week during restaurant week, and loved the whole experience. Restaurant was packed-tables are close together-waiter was very attentive despite being busy. Enjoyed both of our entrees-pork and fish. Finished with most delicious espresso martini and milky way.Special Features:
- Sad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2014Because of great reviews, we went to Sweet Basil looking forward to a wonderful dining experience and were disappointed. The waiter seemed to be in the wrong profession. He approached our table but when he greeted us was looking in the other direction and I didn't realize he was even talking to us! Wasn't able to give helpful information when we asked about the dinner options. But the food was the biggest disappointment. We ordered the duck and the Scottish salmon. Both were fair to middling. With our expectations as they were, we were very let down.
- Outstanding!CharDined on 10/2/2014Menu and service are amazing. I will go there often. A great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT EXPERIENCECatDVMVIPDined on 10/2/2014We lucked into a reservation during Restaurant Week and were delighted with the service and food. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable and the presentation was beautiful and the food was delicious. The only complaint is that the restaurant becomes noisy when full.Special Features:
- Excellent!JessDined on 10/1/2014We enjoyed everything about this place. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spectacularWoodlanderVIPDined on 9/30/2014It is our tradition to eat at Sweet Basil each time we arrive in the Vail valley. We have probably eaten here 25 times and have never been disappointed. The food is incredibly creative and of course delicious and the service is always exceptional (thank you Thomas). The view of the creek is true mountain bliss. The chef continues modifying the menu to utilize the freshest available ingredients. This time we had the Borden's farm salad, Colorado Trout and the Oxtail risotto - they were all incredible! If you've never eaten at Sweet Basil you really owe to yourself to try it!Special Features:
- Sept 2014gselleVIPDined on 9/30/2014Sweet Basil is on our dining list multiple times during an extended stay. The food is always tastefully and attractively presented. Favorite is always the Frito Misto! The staff is very accommodating and personable. Love the new wine cellar!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Always a memorable experience. Beautiful restaurant, two great decks viewing the village AND over the creek. Food is exceptional in quality and creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usualcrowwing2Dined on 9/26/2014Sweet Basil is a must-stop every time we are in the Vail area. Food is consistently amazing and the service is friendly and well-informed. Our table gave rave reviews to the Oxtail Risotto, Ahi Tuna Nicoise-ish, Angus Flat-Iron Steak and the Violet, Blackberry & Almond Tart. Everyone went home very happy, but those were the star dishes of the evening.Special Features:
- the bestBen4VIPDined on 9/26/2014The finest food in the valley; utterly dependable; they have and amazing knack for finding great chefsSpecial Features:
- Long time customers not coming backMountainEatsDined on 9/25/2014We have enjoyed many special occasions at Sweet Basil for 10 years. Unfortunately, our most recent experience was a huge disappointment. The menu lacked inspiration, in how it looked and felt in your hands. It was boring and we were challenged in what to choose. The trout and halibut were bland, overcooked. Appetizers bland. The service-annoying, popping in and out, startling us at times. We overheard his same recommendations at each table. Gave us no inspiration. Looked at the dessert menu...once again, nothing to make us want to stay. We returned to our hotel for dessert, and were convinced we made the right decision. Our meals at other Vail restaurants were much better during our 4-day stay.
- Happy diners!!WynnVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was our first visit and we will definitely return. Menu offerered nice choices. My husband chose steak and I had the halibut. Both were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great meallocavore51VIPDined on 9/21/2014still one of my very favorite places to go. there's always something new - either on the menu, or as a special. this time it was sweet potato bisque and the "add-ins" and presentation were delicious and attractiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReallyBobBVIPDined on 9/18/2014The reviews for this restaurant are beyond overrated based on our experience. My wife's trout should have been pan sautéed, but was over grilled and the burnt grill marks overwhelmed the delicate fish. My salmon was boring and the Japanese eggplant was under cooked. Have no idea what Zagat or the Yelpers saw in this restaurant, from my perspective living on their perhaps past reputation and certainly not a current one.
- Did not disapointSummerDined on 9/12/2014One of our favorite places in Vail. Our waiter was a delight - wish I had gotten his name. The tomato salad was the best we had ever had - the beet was wonderful also. All entrees were perfect - but that dessert! Awesome. Can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jennifer WilliamsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014I have been to Sweet Basil many times and always had a wonderful experience. This time I was disappointed in the menu selection. For that reason we only enjoyed an appetizer and had dinner elsewhere later. I'll still recommend Sweet Basil to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrlfrmnebGrlfrmnebDined on 9/10/2014Again! A fantastic dining experience. Very attentive service. Beautiful presentation & food out of this world! I have come here over & over when in Vail & never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Paid 30 for salmon and it was gross. For that much money you would expect that the chef would know how to cook salmon right. Very dissappointed. Will never return hereSpecial Features:
- Well Donesbennett53Dined on 9/6/2014Sam does a great jog at when checking and has a firm grip on the goings-on all across the restaurant floor. After that it it just gets better. The pairings of food ingrediendts interesting and pleasing to the palate -- everyone at the table raved about their selection. Well done, Sweet Basil!Special Features:
- kmenglandDined on 9/5/2014oysters were overpriced. ribyeye was excellent. would have preferred to have vegetables on the side not on top of the steak. could have done with more wines at under 70 dollars. I am not saying they were overpriced but there was bias towards top end wines. The noise levels were a bit too high for me.Special Features:
- A GembdvirginiaDined on 9/5/2014Exceeded expectations Love the T bone lamb. Wife loved the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement celebrationKCEngagement4Dined on 9/4/2014Sweet Basil provided the most perfect place to celebrate our recent engagement. The wine and champagne list was impressive, the atmosphere was romantic, and the food was some of the best I've ever had! From the lump blue crab, to the Caesar salad, to the melt-in-your-mouth halibut main course... It was all unbelievably delectable! We'd heard wonderful things about Sweet Basil, and it exceeded all of our highest expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal at Sweet BasilOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Another great evening at Sweet Basil. Our waiter was perfect as was our me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good Enough for the PriceMeandMyBrideVIPDined on 9/2/2014We love really nice restaurants and are not afraid of $100 plus per person places. Some of the best food we've ever eaten was at some pricey joints. This place is nice -- lovely modern decor, outdoor seating with a view of the river. But the service and flavor do not add up to a $250 dinner for two. Pity, this was a big disappointment for us. The reviews certainly pump this place way up, but they just did not deliver for us. Nope, we will not be back.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantfood4funDined on 9/1/2014Sweet Basil never disappoints. The chef is creative while serving very clean food. The staff is professional, knowledgable and always seems to add to our dining experience. They handle special dietary needs extremely well....accommodating while still keeping it creative. We have been coming here for years and are always thrilled to be dining at Sweet Basil!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent GreatnessBimmerboyDined on 8/30/2014We have been dinning at Sweet Basil for over 15 years and have never had a bad meal there. For us, the consistency is what keeps us coming back. The service is also always great. Thanks again for a great dinning experience.Special Features:
- Sweet Basil's always a favoriteRoscoe46Dined on 8/30/2014We often eat one very nice meal a day and if we are in Vail, for skiing or bike riding we try to have a very nice lunch at Sweet Basil's. It has never disappointed us and often still surprises us with a special dish. Service the best most consistent in Vail. That takes a lot. This week it was a BLT. Sounds simple but one of the best sandwiches I have eaten.Special Features: