Swank Southern Kitchen
4196 South University Dr.
Davie, FL 33328Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Swank Southern Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://swanksouthern.com/
- Phone: 9547275497
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Entertainment: A variety of the best in southern classic cover bands and rhythm and blues.
A word from Swank Southern Kitchen
Swank Southern Kitchen (as it"s name implies) is just that. A Southern-inspired eatery and bar featuring kicked-up versions of down-home dishes in a setting fit those looking for that Southern hospitality everyone loves, with a whole lotta swagger to boot. Southern dishes with contemporary interpretations that will make even the staunchest Southern foodie wanting more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Swank Southern Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great ExperienceFooderDined on 6/19/2014It was my first time there and we had a great time. Great food and drink specials. I was pleasantly surprised that it is more of a craft beer/gourmet food joint a la Tap 42 than a high end restaurant, which I think is the impression their website gives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't all it's cracked up to beTwofoodiesDined on 6/15/2014Waited for Father's Day for a great evening here with the kids and hubby after hearing rave reviews. Was so UNimpressed by the food, staff, drinks, and overall atmosphere. Ordered two apps, 4 entrees, drinks, and dessert. Everything was simply mediocre. Will we go back? Probably not. Too many other restaurants that are simply....better.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Swank Southern Kitchen reviews archive.
- Upscale Southern FoodamyvcDined on 5/18/2014The food here is great. It's basic southern food, kicked up a notch. The food will be more expensive than you'd expect for southern fare, but still doesn't break the bank. For starters/small plates, we like the fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and pulled pork sliders. Wings were also very good. The meatloaf and the hangar steak were our favorite dinner items. The corn bread is out of this world!!Special Features:
- Curteous staff, Delicious DishesAdrianDined on 5/17/2014I have had a wonderful experience every single time I have visited this place. They are only open for dinner service, and that's okay because it seems to give them enough time to prepare their unique dishes. The last time I went, I brought a few friends (mainly to experience the chicken and waffles dish (really great). Someone ordered the Cobb Salad, which to our dismay was not what we expected, compared to other restaurants. When I expressed my concern to one of the staff, I was put in contact with one of the owners, Oscar. Not only did he comp the meal, he brought us a more expensive dish (short rib meatloaf) free of charge. He was genuinely concerned with our happiness, and I will return again and again! They also welcome feedbackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1hr and 45 minutes waitCaroDined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and a little strange that they took a last minute reservation for brunch. We arrive at 11:00 am as a party of 6 with a 6 and a 2 year old. It was pretty empty for the day (stranger by the minute) we were sited and got our drinks pretty fast, but then the wait started, after 1hr and 45 minutes, a couple complaints and the manager coming clean on how bad the situation was in the restaurant we finally got the food. Surprisingly the food was great, but the wait had just already left a really bad taste. Not coming back any time soon.
- Dinner and a showJoser22VIPDined on 5/8/2014Food was good as well as the service. Make sure that there is live music playing as this is what makes this place so great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightNILLDined on 5/5/2014We have eaten at Swank before and the food and service were good. This past experience was not so great. Out of their two main dishes - chicken and fish and the service was extremely slow.Special Features:
- Leave all diets behind you....toffeeknowsDined on 4/30/2014For the one meal you eat at Swank Southern - just forget about any diet you're on and go all out. I had the chicken and waffles which was an absolute treat for the taste buds. A light marshmallow sauce and a little spicy ketchup on the side made this a delicious meal. We also ordered the pork chop, which was amazing and the fried chicken with its generous pile of beautifully delicate fried onions piled high on top. The only disappointment was the meatloaf, which although tasted great, was an extremely small portion, especially compared with the portion sizes the rest of us got. My friends, who know their wines, loved the house Merlot. Shame that a lot of menu items weren't available that night but it didn't spoil a wonderful meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great...foodiefromchicagoDined on 3/24/2014I went with a group of friends (was our first time here) to celebrate my wife's Birthday. We went on a Monday night so the restaurant and bar were unexpectedly slow but I've heard as the week progresses both areas can get very busy. Our whole group had a great time; the food was excellent, the drink menu and presentation is very creative, and the service was fantastic. Our waiter's name was Andrew; he was very attentive, friendly, and made some spot on drink recommendations. I highly recommend anyone to visit Southern Swank; I'm looking forward to going again to try the bar side of the house on a weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMTCCVIPDined on 3/24/2014We enjoyed the Southern cuisine at Swank. Started with fried green tomatoes and mac & cheese that we shared. Chicken and waffles, pork chop and meatloaf were terrific. We ended with bread pudding - it was outstanding. Service was friendly. Swank is a great change of pace in Broward County. High quality food, good prices and pleasant service make this restaurant a winner.Special Features:
- Service lackingSchapDined on 3/14/2014Unfortunately, while the food was good, the service did not match the quality of what was being served. One person's main dish came out as an appetizer, but ironically, it came out prior to the actual appetizers we ordered. There was a tinch of forgetfulness about drink orders. The server was unbelievably nice and genuine which made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern CharmSharryvVIPDined on 3/12/2014We loved the ambience and the service especially. The food was the icing on the case. So many interesting, ecclectic people were enjoying their dinners. Loved the unique combinations on the menu. I had the hanger steak and it was divine. My boyfriend had the country fried steak and it literally melted in his mouth. To top off the evening, we tried the bread pudding and both of us were in heaven when we left. I highly recommend going to Swank Southern Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014First time there was enjoyable. Waitress was very friendly. Management was on point as well. The food came out a little slow. Food was good as well as my drink. I will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swank Southern KitchenErinDined on 2/19/2014Went on a Wed night. The 1st glass of wine was on special for $0.01! Entree of chicken fried steak was ok.Special Features:
- Southern food with a twistOlinecVIPDined on 2/17/2014Swank Southern Kitchen offers wonderful southern food with a modern twist. Fried green tomatoes get a sophisticated approach. Chicken fried steak features filet and it was wonderful. I so want to go back here soon.Special Features:
- Fun to try something newKari2317Dined on 2/9/2014Delicious food ; fun night; great drinks. Only problem I had was I felt like whenever I asked a question to the wait staff about a food item they didn't know the answer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Overall mediocre at best. The food was no where near up to par to what we expected. We were a party of 10 and all 10 agreed none would come a second time. Service was slow, scattered, and just not well organized. Some of the food came out cold after waiting almost 90 minutes for food to come out and restaurant was half empty. Chicken was dry, corn bread was extra dry, cole slaw had no taste, beans were like eating sugar, and just TONS of grease. Chocolate pudding dessert had to be sent back twice because both times came out sour... the LONE highlight were the drinks... those were good..specially the caramle apple drink... but not worth patronizing a second time at all....
- Not the greatestLisaVIPDined on 1/23/2014Went with a group of 6. Atmosphere is great. Drinks ok, though mine somehow reminded me of a scented candle (caramel apple drink). The appetizers were all delicious-pork sliders, fried green tomatoes. A few of us had the chicken and waffles and hubby got the blue chicken and waffles. Now having had some AMAZING chicken and waffles just last week at a different restaurant, I should have known better than to order the chicken and waffles here. The marshmallow sage sauce was just too sweet,the chicken too greasy. I do have to say that the blue chicken and waffle was much better. The shrimp and grits had good shrimp, bad grits, ribs-good, and the burger good. We did not try any desserts.Overall disappointed on this first visit.
- Southern deliciousnessCTP312Dined on 1/21/2014Southern Swank kitchen is a great little find. Food is fun and tasty. Crab hush puppies are delicious!!! Chicken and waffles are flavorful highly recommend! Cowboy steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. Our server was friendly. Atmosphere is relaxed and great for groups. Loved the old Clint Eastwood movies playing and the photo booth in the back was fun! Will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureMellDined on 1/7/2014From the outside, this restaurant is very unassuming and quiet frankly you could blink and miss it when driving at night. I'm glad I didn't. This place is an amazing and welcomed addition to the neighborhood; it's a great date night/special occasion spot if you want to go out and be a little dressed up. When you go, definitely order their peach signature cocktail (I forgot the name), the fried green tomatoes and a mountain of the mac and cheese. For the entrée, be a little adventurous and go for what your server recommends. You'll have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average..foodismyweaknessDined on 1/6/2014The atmosphere is wonderful, you almost forget where u are. The food...just mediocre. The pork sliders were average the pork was tender melt in your mouth but it lacked flavor. The crab hush puppies had more hush puppies than crab, I didnt enjoy that very much. Entree Chicken and waffles --- very very weird , the marshmallow sauce too sweet, the waffles no flavor, overall I expected more. My husband got the hanger steak - very chewy, nothing special. Maybe I'm a little harsh but I expected more. Food Presentation was good though.Special Features:
- Nice findChrisDined on 12/31/2013A group of 7 of us went to Southern Swank for an early New Year Eve's dinner. We ordered all but one of the appetizers and enjoyed them all. The pork sliders were about as good as I have ever had. Terrific pork flavor on a soft bun with a pickle to add some balance. The mac and cheese was an adult version with crispy bites of pork belly included. The crab hush puppies were addictive and we ordered another round of these and the sliders. We ordered 4 entree's- Meatloaf, 22oz cowboy rib-eye, chicken and waffles and beer can chicken. The steak was prepared exactly as requested and was beefy and tender. The beer can chicken was solid by itself but came alive when we poured the can of gravy over it. A must if you order this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/29/2013We had a great experience here. We tried the shells and cheese, chicken and waffles, hanger steak, and the banana pudding. Everything was delicious. Also have to mention our server, Nicole. She was fantastic! Super friendly and helpful, gave great service!Special Features:
- Very DisappointingGeorgiaDined on 12/26/2013We had read good reviews of the restaurant and were excited to have a new opportunity to dine closer to home. This was a disappointment from the start. It was difficult to see from the road because of the dark building colors and lack of light. The service was horrible! It took 40 minutes to get my glass of wine. Rather than recommending I choose something else they had close at hand, the bartender had to go find the bottle somewhere upstairs. The waitress was clueless. The menu was limited. My son had the chicken and waffles. That was the best presentation and meal of what we ordered. My husbands ribs were tough, my fish was lukewarm and the blackeyed peas undercooked.
- Gastro BBQSpramwiseDined on 12/22/2013Not your typical southern soul food. Jazzed up a bit. Don't go in expecting good with soul, but do expect a great meal fit for a foodie. The portions are great and the flavor combinations are insane. Make sure you get their take on chicken and waffles. The marshmallow sage sauce is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so swankgoodiegirlDined on 12/19/2013Sadly disappointed. Walking in, i was excited. Not typical of a sofla restaurant. And that's where my excitement stopped. On a glance at the menu, the Shrimp and Grits I was planning to have as an entree was now a starter. When I asked if it could be an entree, the answer was yes as an app portion. So we settled on it as an app. Shrimp was flavorful, grits were not and a little watery. We had the Cowboy Steak - just ok and not well seared. St Louis Ribs. A little too saucy but my husband liked them. Some were tender, others not. Banana Pudding for dessert - again, just fair. Service was less than stellar to say the least. If atmosphere was all i wanted, i would go back in a heartbeat, but i don't expect I'll be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Food not very appealing. OutLatanaDined on 12/15/2013Food not very appealing. Out of food at 7:30pm on a Sunday night...Not a good sign.
- Just averageOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/25/2013Didn't have several items listed on menu . Food very slow coming out of the kitchenSpecial Features:
- Service was great, food wasMarthaDined on 11/24/2013Service was great, food was excellent. We tried several things and not a crumb was left on anyone's plate. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond my expectation.MeJanDined on 11/21/2013I enjoyed everything about this place the ambiance, service, food and drinks. I have nothing to complain about expect that I had to drive a long way to get there but it was worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerSarahDined on 11/3/2013What a wonderful place!! Drinks were outstanding and reasonably priced. I wish the food had come out a little warmer, but I like my food piping hot so it's probably normal for most people.Special Features:
- Good food but staff needs trainingBarbDined on 11/2/2013Interesting menu. "Beer can chicken" was excellent, served with gravy in a beer can (clever) & cole slaw. I asked to sub a salad for fries, & was surprised to find a charge for the salad on our bill. The waitress said she didn't "have control over it". My husband had pulled pork sliders, & a side of green bean cassoulet (good, but pricey at $7). Wine list is reasonable, lots of beers ($6-$8). Atmosphere is lively, but music was too loud. The staff is very young & pleasant but obviously not trained in restaurant service. Our waitress did not have much knowledge about the menu, told us there was no beer list (we later got one), was not sure about salad dressings available, did not know about substitutions, etc. But overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed - Once and doneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013Service: The service is poor. The hostess sat us down and we waited for 15 min without menus or being visited by our waitress. After waiting I finally got up and went to the hostess to get our menus and demanded to have a waitress come. We order drinks which took way to long. After that the food took a great deal of time. I enjoy sitting and speaking to others at the table but it took way to long. When someone thinks about leaving it is way to long. Drinks: Their signature drjnks are pretty bad. Swamps tastes like Sprite with dry ice, Old fashioned - they overpopulated, it was not drinkable we sent it back. Stick with the wine and beer - reasonable prices. Food: Good overall Will not go again I have more but there is a limit
- over priced southern foodBadgerDined on 11/1/2013title says it all...and too much emphasis placed on clearing plates before their time and not enough emphasis spent on getting orders out of the kitchen in a timely manner
- Good with room for improvementgrayyakVIPDined on 10/28/2013First off our server,I believe her name was Stephanie,a doll,a gem ,a delight. As Broward residents were glad to see such an ambitious venture in our county. The ambiance & vibe they did a nice job. The music.....uhm...not for everyone. Got the theme but YUCK ! the music...aweful ! The food was pretty good . As addict to Yardbird on SoBe ,we could've been critical.but flavor wise nice ! Though we disdain the "super-size me" American culture. Shanks portions were on the chintzy side. My meal the shrimp & grits quite flavorful,but almost appetizer in size. Kudos for a good beer selection. Wasn't up to cocktails,but they read pretty niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood RestaurantalpalDined on 10/26/2013first visit to this restaurant.Offer a lot of drink specials for both weekdays and weekends.The waitress brought around samples of beer specials,like pumpkin and blueberry microbrews. The Peach tea(with peach liquor) was refreshing.The food was good.The crab hush puppies were different and very good.We had the shrimp and Grits and ribs as our entree.The Banana pudding for desert was very good.I would have liked to see some specials offered..Maybe some catfish or trout. The band was an added surprise and we enjoyed them.They didn't play country music,but rock.I am sure being a Southern Food Restaurant most would have expected Country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great potentialspemoniVIPDined on 10/24/2013Swank is like a newborn deer getting used to standing and walking. Everyone was busy but a bit disorganized due to two very large groups they were trying to accommodate. Our server was as nice as she could be but had to check with either her manager or the bar about any question we had regarding the menu or drink choice. She did it all with a smile and in a timely manner though. She will be up to speed soon enough. The food: Shrimp & Grits, Hanger Steak, Beer Can Chicken & St. Louis Ribs.....all were excellent!!!! The only fail was the french fries on the Beer Can Chicken. They were limp, soggy and cold. The drinks: Well made signature cocktails. Live music that night was great. Noise level is very energetic. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ-Southern at its BestFamilyof5Dined on 10/20/2013We were looking for an upscale BBQ. After eating at Shorty's for years, we gave this place a try. NOW THIS IS OUR FAVORITE! Wish they would open one up in Hallandale's Gulfstream Park! Everything we tried was delicious, dish after dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something different in DavieTGIFDined on 10/18/2013My wife and I went here last Friday. It was busy, very nice inside and had a good TGIF energy. Our service was good, I think our server may be new to the business but she handled herself well. Good beer selection. Our appetizer (fried green tomatoes) was good. I've had better but these were decent. My wife got the burger for dinner and said it was excellent. I ordered the shrimp and grits, a fav of mine. The first plate of it contained two or three very under cooked shrimp, but I told our server and the manager had a new order prepared. It was excellent and I would get it again. It's a new place and you can tell they are getting some of the wrinkles out, but it is very good and something different for this area. I would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd place with bad foodMichelleDined on 10/13/2013I typically do not give feedback I just give verbal recommendations if I like the food/service or don't go back if it was not to my liking. I eat out a lot and this was an odd experience. My husband is from the south & was incredibly confused by the menu- not sophisticated not complex just bad pairings. Not cohesive. Everything had an odd vinegar taste (not like good vinegar based Carolina bbq) all of us took 1-2 bites & could not eat it. everything took a long time, even cashing out. Décor was strange like a bunch of different styles were smashed together. Ribs not cooked well, even kids mac & cheese weird vinegar taste, shrimp & grits had cold vinegar green beans in them & the fries were mushy.