411 A Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.swagatupperwestside.com/
- Phone: 2123621400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Lala Sharma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Abishek Sharma 2123621400
A word from Swagat
Swagat is a unique Indian Restaurant in Upper West Side. The food is excellent and the ambience is great too. The restaurant is owned by Chef Lala Sharma. He is from the hotel industry in Delhi Bukhara. He has worked in Bahamas, Maurya Sheraton. He brings forth the best in Indian culinary tradition, the rich, intricate dishes that he prepares, combining his flair for improvisation and his knowledge of health and nutrition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Swagat reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)romantic (3)hot spot (3)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- One of NYC's best IndianNYCGourmandVIPDined on 9/7/2014It really doesn't matter what you order from vegetarian dishes to New York's most delicious lamb chops, Swagat's has exceptional chefs in the kitchen. Their dal tadka is sublime, the lamb and tandoori chicken dishes are excellent. And their chick pea, cauliflower, spinach curries are among the best seasoned and prepared in a city filled with great Indian restaurants. Swagat holds its own with any of them AND at a price that is very easy on the wallet and makes you want to splurge on superb baked Indian breads with succulent fillings and wonderful desserts that make you think you're dining in India as we have done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Great Indian Restaurant on the upper west side -- food is always good -- samosas & kutcha breads are terrific -- all dishes served with rice & all are great - both chicken & vegetarian -- my husband had chciken kabobs & requested them juicy & not overcooked which many oplaces do -- these were perfect -- very reasonably priced - we alwasy eat there when in NYSpecial Features:
- NiceAdSmithVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food, service and ambiance was nice. Good variety and easy to use menu.Special Features:
- Usually Much BetterAlliedearestDined on 8/30/2014I love Swagat. It's my favorite weekend restaurant, and I also love introducing friends to the authentic food and usually "on it" wait staff. This time, however, there was no pappadum bread, no clear service order, no help when I wanted to order wine. It was sputtering service. But the lamb vindaloo and chicken curry masala were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Excellent Indian cooking - does not need another review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on the UWSNYCGourmandVIPDined on 7/20/2014You could go to Mumbai or New Delhi for food like this but it's so much easier on Amsterdam Avenue between 79th and 80th Street. I know; I have family there and my grandmother's dahl and lamb saagwala was never this good. In fact, the biryani, any of the seafood or chicken dishes, tandoori or curries are outstanding. The breads are incredible and their desserts are fabulous. Fresh ingredients, prompt and courteous service, a better than average wine and beer list - what more could you ask for. Very congenial space and overall a real gem.Special Features:
- Great findgooddealVIPDined on 7/15/2014Consistently good and reasonably priced. Lunch a bargain and freshSpecial Features:
- Better than I thoughtsokerladDined on 6/21/2014Wasn't sure about this place when we decided to give it a try. Definitely looked like a family run place with everyone helping out with the service. Questions about the menu items were explained and suggestions made. Food arrived quickly and looked great. Tasted great too. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian foodYaelDined on 6/18/2014We had vegetarian menu. Very tasty with nice variety. Were very accommodating to our child. Portions good size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- savoca56Dined on 6/7/2014Brought a large group of 13 for an early dinner. We had an event & had to leave in less than 1 1/2 hrs. Mentioned this to the restaurant host. We had appetizers, entrees & desserts AND were out on time. Food was great, we were served our entrees at pretty much the same time. Everyone loved what they ordered!!!! Will definitely go back and have already recommended it to friends who live in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Swagat reviews archive.
- My new upper west side favoriteMimiVIPDined on 5/24/2014I've been here three times in the last two months. Food is delicious and the people who run it are lovely.Special Features:
- First review as a new yorkerprefer2cookDined on 5/17/2014I am very very critical of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi restaurants as I don't usually like to eat this kind of food out since I can usually make better at home. However, this place was not bad. I am rating this restaurant in comparison to home cooking. The chicken tikka masala was ok. It tasted the same as the butter chicken without butter and with some tomato flavor, probably from tomato paste. I was neither impressed nor disgusted. The chicken tikka kabaab was tender and juicy, which I applaud because it is very easy to overcook boneless chicken breast. The lamb seekh kabaab was not bad. Food could have been spicier. I would order takeout from here in the future unless I find something better.Special Features:
- delicious indian foodjordanrcDined on 5/11/2014The samosas were great, the naan was fantastic. I've had better chicken korma but the chicken tikka masala was yummy. The waiters and owner were all very nice. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014This place is tiny, but nice The food is quite good, enjoyable.
- Friendly service and poor foodOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 4/28/2014Service was friendly. Small restaurant. Tables very close to each other. I've eaten Indian food all over the world and I am sorry to say the food was truly poor here. Plenty of other Indian restaurants in the neighborhood to go to.
- Great serviceVIG10Dined on 4/16/2014Service and food was great. I would totally recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwagatLion26KingVIPDined on 4/2/2014A lovely little place where excellent Indian food is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014Still the best Indian food on the Upper West Side. Relaxed, bustling little boite on Amsterdam.
- My new favorite Indian restaurantMissClaireVIPDined on 3/19/2014Simply put-- this is a wonderful restaurant! I'm a curry aficionado, belong to a "curry club" and frequent Indian restaurants both here and in London. Since Swagat is in my neighborhood, I may consider foregoing my curry club, and putting a nameplate on a corner chair here!Special Features:
- A New FavoriteJanesDined on 3/14/2014Someone else commenting on Swagat said that they went there because their first choice wasn't available - that was actually how I found it, too. They had a reservation available at the time I was looking for and the menu looked interesting. I have now found a new favorite. The number of vegetarian choices is impressive - the creativity of the the list on the menu is wonderful. Everything we ordered was perfect. My only fear in recommending Swagat is that I may be unable to get a last minute reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Food Better ServiceManhattanFrankDined on 3/1/2014Always a joy to dine at Swagat. Warm welcome as you enter and attentive service. Be sure to sample the appitizers but leave food for the main dish. Variety of breads add to the flavor.Special Features:
- Upper West Side CurryFoodieDined on 2/16/2014Great food, very good service and very authentic dishes. We both enjoyed the various selection available. Recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but goodPrincessPDined on 1/3/2014I made a reservation for a group of ten. When I got there we had to wait an additional 25 min. The place is small and intimate. I wouldn't recommend it for large parties. Other than that the food and prices are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousJennyDined on 12/19/2013This is my go-to dinner spot whenever i'm visiting and I absolutely love it. The food is delicious and service is great. I really didn't want my meal to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have dined there about fourMikeDined on 12/10/2013Have dined there about four times there now and have had one moderate curry, but three excellent ones. Good Indian beers. On my last visit the restaurant was (as often) very busy, but staff were still friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've died and gone to India!NancyDined on 11/23/2013Authentic Indian cuisine on the UWS. I've tried a great deal of Indian and there isn't a better place on the west side or upper Manhattan. This is my new go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swagat is a small setting,CaseyVIPDined on 11/22/2013Swagat is a small setting, maybe 20 tables, so when it's busy it's definitely a little cramped, but the staff is able to attend to needs very efficiently. Food is prepared quickly, to great standards, and for a very reasonable price, especially for an UWS setting. Vegetarian menu is extensive and delicious. I would definitely recommend and will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodSagaca33Dined on 11/19/2013The food at Swagat has always been consistently good. We had lamb curry (I'm not a fan of lamb but it was ok for me), chicken kebab, rice, raita (too runny) and naan. It was a great combination and the perfect amount for two people. Even tho we had reservations, the only table available was the far back next to the cashier and kitchen. We should have waited for a better table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian I've hadgabrijVIPDined on 11/15/2013Ended up here because I couldn't get a reservation at my first choice. What a stroke of luck! Swagat will be my first choice from now on! Food was superb. Very spicy, but not just hot - also extremely tasty. Best vindaloo I've ever had. Wonderful service too. And it was packed - so others must also love it. Hope to be back frequently.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swagat is usually reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2013Swagat is usually reliable and typically has the best Indian food on the Upper West Side. Our last meal there may have been an off-night, however: portions were skimpy, the food itself bland, and the service more than usually disorganized. We were there during the festival of Devali -- perhaps the kitchen staff were off that night?
- Good for the priceRonniTVIPDined on 10/11/2013An intimate space with good food, service and pricing. Not exceptional but solid and will not disappoint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian foodshawnavDined on 9/19/2013I thought the food was very good. It was not quite as spicy as I would prefer but I would request spicier next time.
- Unassuming but excellent IndianJLAJLAVIPDined on 9/7/2013Swagat is a small spot, maybe twenty tables, but the food is very good and the feel is of an authentic, family-run spot. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellent IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2013Reliably excellent Indian food -- the best on the Upper West Side. Friendly service, reasonably prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I were visitingColoradoDinerDined on 7/28/2013My wife and I were visiting NY from out of town and used Trip Advisor to find Swagat. We really enjoyed the food and overall experience with a very helpful staff. We liked it so much that we brought our daughter back the next day... and I usually have to beg my wife to go to Indian restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2013Some of the best Indian food on the Upper West Side.
- Graduation CelebrationDEKhDined on 5/24/2013Although the restaurant is on the small side, they easily accommodated our group of 10. The waiter was attentive and was willing to make menu suggestions. Our 10 entrees were served hot and at the same time. Several of our guests, who are Indian food aficionados, said the food was among the best Indian food they have eaten.Special Features:
- The curries and bread offeringsNYCGourmandVIPDined on 5/12/2013The curries and bread offerings are good; I'm not sure they have a tandoori clay oven in the back so we may not be getting authentic tandoori-oven baked entrees. In either case, what comes out of their kitchen does not measure up to other Indian restaurants' tandoori preparations. Otherwise, not a bad place. Home delivery is another issue; routinely takes an hour or more to receive menu items ordered over the telephone or via Seamless....no explanation is ever given even after you call 3 times to find out what happened to your meal. After all that needless waiting, often the wrong item is then delivered. Oops!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and tasty dishes oftenNYCGourmandVIPDined on 5/5/2013Fresh and tasty dishes often come out of the kitchen....Indian breads are excellently made here. Tandoori entrees, not so much, because they are not cooked in a tandoori oven nor are they flavored, marinated and/or spiced appropriately as tandoori dishes are elsewhere. The wait staff has a habit of staring at you as you eat perhaps in their attempt to monitor the table and too quickly remove serving bowls and plates if they think you're done. They need to rethink that strategy. Also, plan on enjoying your meal at the restaurant because home deliveries, for whatever the reasons, are terribly delayed prompting not just one but several follow-up phone calls to determine what happened to your order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small space, big smilesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2013We were three adults and one toddler. Although the dining area is a long narrow space, there was no problem bringing in our umbrella stroller and they accommodated our request not to sit close to the front door. All servers passed by our table all the time and several engaged my daughter in small talk, lending her pens to write on the paper table cover and even played with her when she got down from her high chair. It goes a long way when staff make it a good experience for the kids too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.