411 A Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.swagatupperwestside.com/
- Phone: 2123621400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Lala Sharma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Abishek Sharma 2123621400
A word from Swagat
Swagat is a unique Indian Restaurant in Upper West Side. The food is excellent and the ambience is great too. The restaurant is owned by Chef Lala Sharma. He is from the hotel industry in Delhi Bukhara. He has worked in Bahamas, Maurya Sheraton. He brings forth the best in Indian culinary tradition, the rich, intricate dishes that he prepares, combining his flair for improvisation and his knowledge of health and nutrition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Swagat reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (12)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Best West- or East-side IndianNYCGourmandVIPDined on 10/28/2014Swagat always prepares and presents a great meal at very "wallet-friendly" prices. The kitchen turns out authentic curries and biryanis, meat or vegetarian, and the baked Indian-oven breads, stuffed and plain, are superb. They are perfectly ready to amp up the spice-wattage or tone it down based on whatever your preference. A more than ample wine and beer list complements their meals. Desserts are fantastic and also easy on the budget. Don't leave without taking home an order of Dhal Tadka for a rainy day. It's the best in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/26/2014Restaurant can be difficult for groups; it's a very small/narrow space. Staff was not prepared for our Open Table reservation for six (which was admittedly made only one hour in advance...but it shouldn't have been available if it was going to be a problem). Then a second group of 10 with reservation showed up minutes after we did. We had to wait at least 30 minutes to be seated. Dinner, then was much later than we'd intended. But food was good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I frequent Swagat and always enjoy the excellent Indian cooking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!floridadiamondgirlVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had a late dinner after theater and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful food and attentive service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great food at SwagatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Best Indian food I've had in a long while. Lovely service. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the experience.
- Always a treatoharekDined on 10/11/2014I always dine at Swagat when I stay on the Upper Westside. The service is friendly, it is quiet and the food is authentic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great appetizerCather123VIPDined on 10/10/2014The cauliflower in tomato sauce was so unusual and delicious, and the vegetarian entrees were very fine. The chicken kourma was less successful, the sauce lacking that strong nutty flavor that you'd want, the chicken being a bit dry. Vegetarian tandoori was great. Next time I'll just stick with the veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 9/28/2014We had a great experience, the staff was very accommodating because we had an infant at our table. The food was great and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything tastes delicious here!NYCGourmandVIPDined on 9/26/2014You can't go wrong whether it's from the grill/tandoori side of this Indian stalwart or the seafood or chicken curries, various Indian breads, or biryanis both for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. Lassis and desserts are equally fabulous. We didn't dine this well in India, where we have been over 6 times, and, quite frankly, there are pretentious and ridiculously pricey Indian restaurants here in NYC that aren't half as good as Swagat's.Special Features:
- Always reliable...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Food is consistently good. Tiny place. Clothes may smell like Indian food afterwards. Puri impressive. Chicken with spinach very good. Small and crowded but you can easily talk there.Special Features:
- One of NYC's best IndianNYCGourmandVIPDined on 9/7/2014It really doesn't matter what you order from vegetarian dishes to New York's most delicious lamb chops, Swagat's has exceptional chefs in the kitchen. Their dal tadka is sublime, the lamb and tandoori chicken dishes are excellent. And their chick pea, cauliflower, spinach curries are among the best seasoned and prepared in a city filled with great Indian restaurants. Swagat holds its own with any of them AND at a price that is very easy on the wallet and makes you want to splurge on superb baked Indian breads with succulent fillings and wonderful desserts that make you think you're dining in India as we have done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Great Indian Restaurant on the upper west side -- food is always good -- samosas & kutcha breads are terrific -- all dishes served with rice & all are great - both chicken & vegetarian -- my husband had chciken kabobs & requested them juicy & not overcooked which many oplaces do -- these were perfect -- very reasonably priced - we alwasy eat there when in NYSpecial Features:
- NiceAdSmithVIPDined on 8/31/2014The food, service and ambiance was nice. Good variety and easy to use menu.Special Features:
- Usually Much BetterAlliedearestDined on 8/30/2014I love Swagat. It's my favorite weekend restaurant, and I also love introducing friends to the authentic food and usually "on it" wait staff. This time, however, there was no pappadum bread, no clear service order, no help when I wanted to order wine. It was sputtering service. But the lamb vindaloo and chicken curry masala were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Excellent Indian cooking - does not need another review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on the UWSNYCGourmandVIPDined on 7/20/2014You could go to Mumbai or New Delhi for food like this but it's so much easier on Amsterdam Avenue between 79th and 80th Street. I know; I have family there and my grandmother's dahl and lamb saagwala was never this good. In fact, the biryani, any of the seafood or chicken dishes, tandoori or curries are outstanding. The breads are incredible and their desserts are fabulous. Fresh ingredients, prompt and courteous service, a better than average wine and beer list - what more could you ask for. Very congenial space and overall a real gem.Special Features:
- Great findgooddealVIPDined on 7/15/2014Consistently good and reasonably priced. Lunch a bargain and freshSpecial Features:
- The following 61 reviews are from the Swagat reviews archive.
- Better than I thoughtsokerladDined on 6/21/2014Wasn't sure about this place when we decided to give it a try. Definitely looked like a family run place with everyone helping out with the service. Questions about the menu items were explained and suggestions made. Food arrived quickly and looked great. Tasted great too. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian foodYaelDined on 6/18/2014We had vegetarian menu. Very tasty with nice variety. Were very accommodating to our child. Portions good size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- savoca56Dined on 6/7/2014Brought a large group of 13 for an early dinner. We had an event & had to leave in less than 1 1/2 hrs. Mentioned this to the restaurant host. We had appetizers, entrees & desserts AND were out on time. Food was great, we were served our entrees at pretty much the same time. Everyone loved what they ordered!!!! Will definitely go back and have already recommended it to friends who live in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new upper west side favoriteMimiVIPDined on 5/24/2014I've been here three times in the last two months. Food is delicious and the people who run it are lovely.Special Features:
- First review as a new yorkerprefer2cookDined on 5/17/2014I am very very critical of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi restaurants as I don't usually like to eat this kind of food out since I can usually make better at home. However, this place was not bad. I am rating this restaurant in comparison to home cooking. The chicken tikka masala was ok. It tasted the same as the butter chicken without butter and with some tomato flavor, probably from tomato paste. I was neither impressed nor disgusted. The chicken tikka kabaab was tender and juicy, which I applaud because it is very easy to overcook boneless chicken breast. The lamb seekh kabaab was not bad. Food could have been spicier. I would order takeout from here in the future unless I find something better.Special Features:
- delicious indian foodjordanrcDined on 5/11/2014The samosas were great, the naan was fantastic. I've had better chicken korma but the chicken tikka masala was yummy. The waiters and owner were all very nice. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceKrisDined on 5/1/2014This place is tiny, but nice The food is quite good, enjoyable.
- Friendly service and poor foodOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 4/28/2014Service was friendly. Small restaurant. Tables very close to each other. I've eaten Indian food all over the world and I am sorry to say the food was truly poor here. Plenty of other Indian restaurants in the neighborhood to go to.
- Great serviceVIG10Dined on 4/16/2014Service and food was great. I would totally recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwagatLion26KingVIPDined on 4/2/2014A lovely little place where excellent Indian food is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/2/2014Still the best Indian food on the Upper West Side. Relaxed, bustling little boite on Amsterdam.
- My new favorite Indian restaurantMissClaireVIPDined on 3/19/2014Simply put-- this is a wonderful restaurant! I'm a curry aficionado, belong to a "curry club" and frequent Indian restaurants both here and in London. Since Swagat is in my neighborhood, I may consider foregoing my curry club, and putting a nameplate on a corner chair here!Special Features:
- A New FavoriteJanesDined on 3/14/2014Someone else commenting on Swagat said that they went there because their first choice wasn't available - that was actually how I found it, too. They had a reservation available at the time I was looking for and the menu looked interesting. I have now found a new favorite. The number of vegetarian choices is impressive - the creativity of the the list on the menu is wonderful. Everything we ordered was perfect. My only fear in recommending Swagat is that I may be unable to get a last minute reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Food Better ServiceManhattanFrankDined on 3/1/2014Always a joy to dine at Swagat. Warm welcome as you enter and attentive service. Be sure to sample the appitizers but leave food for the main dish. Variety of breads add to the flavor.Special Features:
- Upper West Side CurryFoodieDined on 2/16/2014Great food, very good service and very authentic dishes. We both enjoyed the various selection available. Recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but goodPrincessPDined on 1/3/2014I made a reservation for a group of ten. When I got there we had to wait an additional 25 min. The place is small and intimate. I wouldn't recommend it for large parties. Other than that the food and prices are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousJennyDined on 12/19/2013This is my go-to dinner spot whenever i'm visiting and I absolutely love it. The food is delicious and service is great. I really didn't want my meal to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have dined there about fourMikeDined on 12/10/2013Have dined there about four times there now and have had one moderate curry, but three excellent ones. Good Indian beers. On my last visit the restaurant was (as often) very busy, but staff were still friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've died and gone to India!NancyDined on 11/23/2013Authentic Indian cuisine on the UWS. I've tried a great deal of Indian and there isn't a better place on the west side or upper Manhattan. This is my new go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swagat is a small setting,CaseyVIPDined on 11/22/2013Swagat is a small setting, maybe 20 tables, so when it's busy it's definitely a little cramped, but the staff is able to attend to needs very efficiently. Food is prepared quickly, to great standards, and for a very reasonable price, especially for an UWS setting. Vegetarian menu is extensive and delicious. I would definitely recommend and will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodSagaca33Dined on 11/19/2013The food at Swagat has always been consistently good. We had lamb curry (I'm not a fan of lamb but it was ok for me), chicken kebab, rice, raita (too runny) and naan. It was a great combination and the perfect amount for two people. Even tho we had reservations, the only table available was the far back next to the cashier and kitchen. We should have waited for a better table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian I've hadgabrijVIPDined on 11/15/2013Ended up here because I couldn't get a reservation at my first choice. What a stroke of luck! Swagat will be my first choice from now on! Food was superb. Very spicy, but not just hot - also extremely tasty. Best vindaloo I've ever had. Wonderful service too. And it was packed - so others must also love it. Hope to be back frequently.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swagat is usually reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2013Swagat is usually reliable and typically has the best Indian food on the Upper West Side. Our last meal there may have been an off-night, however: portions were skimpy, the food itself bland, and the service more than usually disorganized. We were there during the festival of Devali -- perhaps the kitchen staff were off that night?