Suzyque's BBQ & Bar
34 S Valley Rd
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Suzyque's BBQ & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.suzyques.com/
- Phone: (973) 736-7899
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00am, Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Suzyque's BBQ & Bar
SuzyQue’s offers a unique blend of southern BBQ. We draw from the flavors of Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina to create our own special delicacies. We use only the finest premium meats slow smoked in our state-of-the-art smoker with our own exclusive blend of rubs made in house. All our BBQ is available dry rubbed, simply seasoned, and smoked, or with one of our homemade sauces. We are committed to using only the best ingredients and cooking low and slow with real hickory, apple, cherry and oak. In the world of BBQ the pink smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats and the pit masters sign of excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Suzyque's BBQ & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014If you are dropping your kid off at Seton Hall, this is worth the trip. Service and food were excellent. We went for lunch, we were the only ones there, so its hard to tell the noise level if it were crowded. They had some 70's music playing at the bar, which btw was very nice. Try the brownie for dessert, it was excellent!!!!! 4 kinds of sauce for dipping or topping off your sandwich!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/13/2014There is a reason this place is always on Groupon. The service was friendlu and attentive, but we dined early on a Monday evening, with few other customers. The food is expensive and not good quality. It's edible...but that's about it. The sauces were strange and I missed a more traditional BBQ sauce. Portions of sides were fairly big. Meat was skimpy. Tiny cornbread muffin was inedible. Overall the place is cute, but needs work. Large bar area. No changing table in the restroom. Had to take my child to the car for a diaper change.
- GREAT LOCAL SPOTTahlaniVIPDined on 7/29/2014food is always great, the staff is always friendly, fun atmosphere also great when they have live bandsSpecial Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the Suzyque's BBQ & Bar reviews archive.
- Good Ribs and SidesroniVIPDined on 7/13/2014We ordered the famous combination plate that had a sampling of everything. Good selection of side dishes. We ordered mac and cheese and cole slaw. Both excellent. The platter that the food was served on left something to be desired. The ribs were very good but not saucy. Four sauces were available on the table to add to the taste. The chicken wings were really good. To end the meal we shared a brownie dessert with ice cream, yummy.Special Features:
- HORRIBLEFoodieDined on 7/10/2014Everything from the food to the waiter to the ambiance was just awful..... Never again. Can see why it's never going off of groupon
- Amazing brisket n Mac-n-chz!TwinsmomDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic brisket! N love seeing the owner, Suzy Q, there herself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food close to home.DatenightgroupieDined on 7/3/2014Food was good . Service okay. Loved the live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FunCaroleVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great value. Pleasant service and dining. Food is always reliable. Good pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Could be much betterbberbsDined on 6/17/2014venue is tired. Food was obviously not fresh. I must assume that they were weekend leftovers just reheated and dry. Service was poor we had to ask several times for Our drinks.I was never served the various barbecue sauces and had to take napkins from all the empty tables.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Food was decent, waiter and staff were very friendly. I'd come back.Special Features:
- Good place for ribs/bbqFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 6/14/2014I think they give you a generous portion of food. Ribs are good just think they need to slow cook it a little longer so that the meat is falling off the bone. I brought my leftovers home and threw them in the crock pot for a few hours and it was perfect. Mac and cheese is excellent.
- Pleasant place to spend some timegormetlocustsDined on 6/7/2014Went there on an unplanned Sat night. Friendly service in the bar -- helped us navigate the menu and choose well. Ribs were excellent and the sauces were good for different tastes. Good place for casual dining. Wonderful band - may come back to see them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014I mentioned at the beginning of the meal that we had a Groupon. We asked the server (Sebastian) to put in our dinner orders so that the meal would come a while after the appetizers. For starters we ordered the smoked chicken wings and the Mac&Cheese fritters. They were both good. For dinner we ordered the Brisket and Beef Short Ribs with sides of Mac and Cheese, Creamed Spinach and Sweet Potato Fries. The Fries were left mostly untouched but the rest was enjoyable. Although we had asked for the starters and entrees to come out at different times, they came out at the same time. Additionally, at the end of the meal, the waiter mentioned that we had ordered the wrong beers and they could not be included in the Groupon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BBQ!CindyDined on 5/30/2014The staff is so warm and friendly and the BBQ is outstanding! Try the BBQ sampler platter, everything on it is a winner and the sides are terrific too. I love the mac and cheese and the collard greens, very authentic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2014Service was good. Food was so-so/ Brisket was mostly fatSpecial Features:
- Would not recommenddntbotherDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I went on a Saturday night with another couple and a groupon. The food was just mediocre at best and the service was horrible. We were served on dirty dinnerware and when I complained our server became irate and rude. We will not be returning.
- Let's EatNancyDined on 4/12/2014Suzy Que's is a great place if you want large portioned meals. I doubt too many people would oppose that. However, between the service and the taste of their BBQ food, Suzy Que's is not a restaurant that I'll be frequenting. I went last year w/my sister-in-law and some girlfriends. They were excited because they heard good reviews. I live in West Orange. They drove from Middlesex and Somerset for this dinner. Two of us had Groupons, which were each for two meals. It was a problem for the Owner that we all sat together. She told us she was loosing business and that she wasn't making any money on the Groupons. I enjoy their live music and comedy nights and they have a Grilled Chicken Sandwich that I will continue on ocassion to stop in for.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 4/10/2014I've been dissapointed 3 times. My last visit was simply to use a groupon and was my final visit. The service washorrible- the food was worst. The best thing about my entire meal was my glass of house zinfindel. Both my son and I got the BBQ platter, he with mac & cheese & sweet potato fries, me with mac & cheese and creamed spinach. Mac and cheese- tasteless and either reheated or placed in a dish that had not been washed well, it was grey around the edges and burned. The creamed spinach was not creamed at all. either of us cared for the BBQ, it was tasteless. The saucesl after having to ask for them were cold and watered down- flavorless. Never Again- DONE w/ Suzy Q's
- SO inconsistentHmmmmVIPDined on 3/29/2014The first time my family and I ate here I couldn't rave enough. Good BBQ? In NJ? Within 5 minutes of my house? No way. But it's gone downhill ever since. Most recent experience: went with our family & my brother-in-law's family. Both of us had Groupons. Wouldn't seat us together because they'll only allow one Groupon/table. Okay, no big deal. Waited a while for our waiter to show. And longer for drinks to come. And then when the food came they'd forgotten a portion of my order. And then our waiter ignored us for the rest of the night - didn't once come back to check if we needed any drink refills, how the food was, etc. (food seems to have gone downhill, too). Now that there's a Mighty Quinn's in Clifton, why bother with this?
- Overview just okOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/7/2014The food was very tasty but the waitress was very rude, she never introduced herself gave any info regarding the restaurant or specials never came back to check on us or to see if our meal was ok or if we needed anything else. The only time she came back was to give us the check and she was waiting and watching to see that we paid the check quickly and left although there were other tables available. I would return but if I'm seating in that waitress section I will ask to move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyHGM006Dined on 3/7/2014Excellent value. Ordered the sampler platter which had a little bit of all the meats offered. Very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again....DisappointedDinerDined on 3/1/2014The trouble started when I called to make my reservation. The hostess informed me the restaurant was packed and she was too busy to take my reservation but told me I could do it online. I made the reservation and should up 10 minutes before my scheduled time. After 40 minutes of waiting I was finally seated. Fifteen minutes later a waiter comes over as if he was unsure if we were his table but he would help us anyway. We placed the order of drinks and dinner. The waiter brought us out everything we order and we never saw him again until my husband tracked him down for is to pay. The service was HORRIBLE and the food was OKAY. I could have had a far better night at home cooking in my own kitchen.
- deliciousdstarmbDined on 3/1/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and did no disappoint. My meal was absoluely delicious and filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful experience. Stay away!!!Luv2dineDined on 2/14/2014This place should be closed! From the decor to the service, it is just horrific!!! my husband and I were recommende this place for a good BBQ and atmosphere. We arrived and was met by a hostess that did not want to be there. We were ushered to our table and sat there for at least 10 mins before a waitress came to ask if someone had taken our orders. When we replied no, she turned around and screamed " I've got this table"! Our main course came before the appetizers. She took our orders for appetizer,drinks and main course. Our main course came before our appetizers. Our waitress response was she didn't know what they were doing in the kitchen!second round of drinks never arrived. The music was loud but ok. Overall a horrific experience!!
- Delicous BBQ with Great ServicebellelizaDined on 2/8/2014My fiance and I went to this restaurant for his birthday as he loves ribs and we wanted to try something new. From the moment we walked in, the service was exceptional. Our watress was very attentive and accomodating and our drinks and food arrived quickly. Most importantly, the food was incredible! I had baby back ribs, mac & cheese, & collard greens which were probably the best greens I have ever had. My fiance had a combo platter which included two kinds of ribs, chicken, brisquet, and possbily more meat with the same two sides. They provide 4 different kinds of BBQ sauce on every table, try them all! For the large amount of food, the prices were very reasonable. We will definately go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfortunate nighttcfnjDined on 1/18/2014there was a large party going on the same nite I was there. took 20 min to get a drink. One bartender serving the party and the tables. You would think that if they had a party booked, they would be smart enough to hire a second table. I heard 3 other tables complain how long it was taking to get a drink. Ordered 1 appetizer and 2 entrees. 1/2 hr later the appetizer came out with the entrees. I complained that the appetizer came out with the rest of the food and all I got was "sorry". Then I had to get up and get the bbque sauces from the rack as no one put them on the table. The food was really good. It is a shame that they clearly are unorganized and understaffed so I will not be going back.
- bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/16/2014The restaurant was nice, but the food wasn't good at all. I had the beef brisket with mac and cheese and baked beans. The brisket was blan. The baked beans were not baked, they were cold like they just came out of a can and placed on a plate. The mac & cheese tasted like it was reheated more than one time. The side of cornbread was stale and hard. It taseted old.
- Just OK for me!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2013I was not overly impressed. It was a Sunday evening so perhaps that is why it was so empty. But with that said, the kitchen was still slow to get our food out. I would not recommend it. But if someone really wanted to go I would not object to going back with them.Special Features:
- Strange ExperienceHmmmmVIPDined on 9/29/2013We live in the area and order take-out frequently. Food quality is always very good. In fact, for a BBQ join in northern NJ, it's surprisingly good. But this dine-in experience was odd. Place was not crowded at all, but service was not great. And for some reason, at 6:30 on a Sunday the restaurant was "out of" both the wine my wife ordered and the pecan pie we ordered for dessert. Out of pecan pie? At a BBQ restaurant? Really? Then there was the bar. It had a fair amount of people in it watching football games and being extraordinarily loud. Yeah, it's Sunday, football season, etc. I get it. But in a restaurant where people are trying to eat with their families? Questioning whether we'll go back again.Special Features:
- dry rubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2013Dry rub barbecue was good. The selection of sauces was lame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2013I have been here several times before but this past time it seems they had problems getting my daughters order right.Special Features:
- Good place for ribs/bbqFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 8/23/2013Place was pretty good. Mac and cheese and collard greens are really good. They couldve cooked the ribs longer. They didnt fall off the bone and found I had a tough time separating the ribs.Special Features:
- older crowdyoungNenergeticDined on 8/16/2013It was jazz night when I went. I loved that it was a live band. Not the best bbq that I've tasted. Bar scene was nice. The crowd was older; looked more like the scene is for 45 and older. I wouldn't go back, at least not until I'm older lolSpecial Features:
- Food was just ok...Service Lousy.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2013Service via management transferred down to our waiter was very poor. Our group of seven did not feel welcomed at all during our visit. The food was just ok for its southern bbq establishment definitely have had better. The music was the only salvageable aspect of the venue. Other adjacent guest waited over 1/2 an hour for just their drinks while others received incorrect food orders and were plainly told that is what you ordered. Was beyond the most awkward and irritating dining experience. Not to mention our online reservation was completely and utterly ignored.
- tastyboboDined on 8/11/2013The food was very good and plenty. The dry rub BBQ is excellent and there is a choice of 4 sauces. The owner, Suzy, also worked as a server and was very accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!srm8VIPDined on 8/2/2013Service: We were ignored for over 30 mins Food: Not fall of the bone good. There was not enough sauce provided. We are at at bbq joint, we should'nt have to keep asking for sauces!
- Absolutely loved the food.Mrtickles1003Dined on 7/31/2013Absolutely loved the food. First time there and the staff was friendly and the environment was comfortableSpecial Features:
- Best Beef Rib Ever&Combo PlatterGreatSteakDined on 6/21/2013I ordered a martini of 1 shot VanGogh Expresso Vodka and 1 shot of a Chocolate Vodka - when our bill came we discovered that this ONE drink cost $16! - $8 perShot! When I tried to order another-(before I knew what it cost) -our waitress said that they didn't have any more of the espresso vodka; good thing!! The "Best Beef Short Rib Ever" was very fatty and costly ($25)- one rib was served with the bone intact so it looked HUGE on my plate - but with all the fat there was very litte edible meat; but the meat - as little as there was - was tender. The mac & cheese is nothing notable (noodles with 2 different cheeses melted on top). The collard greens were well prepared and tasted good. My partner enjoyed the Combo Platter; said it was ok.Special Features:
- Good Bar B QTwinMomDined on 6/16/2013I took my husband to Suzyque's for Father's Day Dinner. He's a real BBQ lover and thoroughly enjoyed his meal, especially the spicy crunchy shrimp appetizer. I loved the cornbread best of all and enjoyed my chicken. We had a good hearty meal at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed in the food.KosherchefVIPDined on 6/8/2013Very disappointed in the food. Not what we expect in barbecue. Lacked smokey flavor and had no crust on the brisket.