Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (356)special occasion (270)romantic (225)great for lunch (115)fit for foodies (114)great for brunch (80)notable wine list (63)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (57)hot spot (30)kid-friendly (28)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- One of the best restaurants!LBHoustonDined on 9/29/2014This restaurant has the most amazing views of the Ocean andmsunset. The food matches the views...outstanding. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon 80th Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014We took our 80 year old "birthday girl" out to lunch. We were treated royally by the staff and she was served a free dessert. Our heirloom tomato salad was split on two plates. More bread was brought upon request. The three entrees were yummy and unique. We had Rock Cod, mussels and steak. All were delicious and described well by the waiter. All the staff went out of their way to make it a special afternoon for us including taking pictures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch ..great view!,tastygirlVIPDined on 9/28/2014Perfect spot on the way to the Legion of honor.We do not like big buffet brunches so this was a great choice.Special Features:
- extremely slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014female hostess was very rude...never hardly saw our server....for the money we paid you would've expected btr service ....lesson learnedSpecial Features:
- Great experiencejmorelli39Dined on 9/26/2014Fantastic. I thought we were going to get an overpriced tourist stop and we had a very fine dining experience instead. Wonderful food and the prices were in line with what a fine restaurant would charge.Special Features:
- Creative seafood selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – fantastic dining room that puts you on top of the ocean. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The seafood selections were spot on. Everyone loved the Halibut and scallops dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable."Special Features:
- Dining at Sutro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The best thing about Sutro's at the Cliff House is the amazing views. The Food was excellent, although if you are a big eater don't expect to get full here. I am from the midwest and used to large portions. The portions were very small and pricey for me. The views more than make up for the small portions and price. Absolutely amazing location for a restaurant. Great for special occasion!Special Features:
- Another Great Meal With FriendsElMaridoDined on 9/26/2014We try to bring visiting friends for the good food and the impressive dining room. We book a sunset table and, with luck, are rewarded with a spectacular view. Good service. Very good food. High ceiling quiet room in the main section. $78 per person with drinks, wine, starter and entree, dessert - before tip.Special Features:
- Wow! Delightful!CariocaGirlVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a sunny fall day in San Francisco and decided to go have lunch ocean side for our wedding anniversary. We chose the place for the location and did not expect much given how touristy it could be, attracting people for the location and not for the food and service. We were wowed by the wonderful experience. Beautiful dining room, wonderful food, very nice service. We would highly recommend it and will return some day.Special Features:
- slow and coldPogoDined on 9/24/2014I had a 7:30 reservation and we were seated promptly in a less desirable spot with no view. With me were a girlfriend and her son (17) who seriously aspires to become a chef so he was very observant. I was struck that the menu is both shorter and more costly than the Bistro where we have dined often. Service was professional and friendly but very slow. My young guest pointed out that this was not the server's fault but the kitchen's. He ordered a New York steak and it came cold an hour later. The duck and halibut were good. i would not recommend this restaurant and will avoif it in the future partly because the Bistro is so much better , better views and pas tros cher.Special Features:
- Just a great place!FrequentDiner23Dined on 9/23/2014As ever, Sutro's had great food, fantastic service, a wonderful ambiance, and made for a very special evening for me to have dinner with a long-time friend. Certainly with all the possibilities in San Francisco, this really needs to remain as a special place to lots of people. While dinner was certain a bit pricy, it wasn't outlandish and the quality of the food met the cost. (I have certainly been to equally expensive restaurants around the world where I didn't get a good a quality meal!). Definitely, a memorable place.Special Features:
- Historical and beautiful as wellTNMENDined on 9/23/2014Had a great lunch and of course the views, WOW!!!!! Very nice staff and great food. Enjoyed a table with beautiful views of the bay. Would recommend this to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view!CarlDined on 9/22/2014The Sutro Restaurant remodel is gorgeous! The high ceilings in the main dining room, and the different levels, give every table a perfect view of the ocean. Go just before dusk and you will see the most beautiful sunsets. Food was fantastic. I had the scallops which were perfectly prepared. Everything on the menu was sublime. Our table was ready & waiting for us per our reservation. The staff are superb. A special place for birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBJW1Dined on 9/21/2014Amazing view with awesome food! The food was brought out in a timely manner. The sunset is amazing to watch while having a glass of wine :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the viewMySFDiningDined on 9/21/2014You'll love the view (even in lousy weather), and enjoy the food. What could be better?Special Features:
- Fantastic view and foodSFnativeDined on 9/21/2014We made an early reservation at 11am on a Sunday morning. The restaurant was empty and we had our choice of tables. The view was amazing, with windows looking north and west at the ocean and sutro baths. The food was fantastic. Although the brunch items were limited to three choices, the huevos rancheros was really good. We also tried the seared sea scallops, that was served with rock shrimp, clams and couscous. It was extremely flavorful and the portions are generous. The service was polite and attentive.Special Features:
- JuniorDined on 9/20/2014Had a wonderful time. My wife and I visited 17 years ago. It was just as amazing as we remembered it. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Perfect reunioun w friends dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We had dinner with some long time friends we hadn't seen in a while. The food was wonderful and the waiter was very attentive and pleasant. Great view of the ocean!Special Features:
- Very Nice But Not StellarFairCriticDined on 9/18/2014Staff, location, views, atmosphere, and decor were all great! Only complaints were the food seemed to take a little bit too long and the seemed a little over priced. The food was definitely high quality good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful dinner this past Saturday at Sutro's. It was a great overall experience. The food was excellent and the service was also at a very high level. We can't wait to make a return trip.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014You don't expect a place with this kind of drop-dead gorgeous location to be this good--the food was excellent and service was delightful.Special Features:
- a view that goes on foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Can't beat looking out over the ocean during dinner. Very good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Great food and service as always! The view is always great. I didn't see the whales this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieQDined on 9/10/2014Excellent dining experience in a wonderful setting in a great citySpecial Features:
- Business Dinner - Disappointedtripel7manDined on 9/8/2014I had read a lot about this restaurant and wanted to have a business dinner with some important clients during a recent international conference. I was very disappointed at the limited menu and wine list. The furniture did not correspond to a supposedly 5 star restaurant with matching prices. The food was good, nothing special, but tasty. The best part was the view, which is the reason I made decided to try this place, and it’s really the only part that is truly worth the long drive from the center of the city. By the way, we waited a long 45 minutes for a taxi to take us back to the city center, as there is limited service in the area, so keep that in mind if you are not driving your own vehicle. I do not plan on returning.Special Features:
- Excellent views and foodteppanyakifanDined on 9/8/2014The views are spectacular, the food excellent and the service impeccable. The only problem is that it is incredibly expensive for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful View!pislasDined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great bread and a beautiful location . Could not ask for anything more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, an excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014This is a "must" experience for all visitors (and residents) of SF.Special Features:
- Seaside SerenadeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014The Cliff House is one of the, if not THE, best-positioned restaurants on California's Pacific Oceanside. A must before you die, even if you're young.Special Features:
- Great viewkimbercatDined on 9/6/2014We went to this Pacific Ocean overlook for the view, but the food was excellent. Mussels as an appetizer in a rich tomato broth, grilled peach salad to die for, duck was excellent. Waiter was attentive and kind; not disruptive.Special Features:
- disappointingBirthdayBoyDined on 9/5/2014The views from this restaurant are spectacular and is one of the reasons to come to the cliff house. From a service perspective, I found the waiter to be prompt and attentive. However the one thing he did not do is come by and ask if our meal was OK which I find important, hence my rating. Particularly in this case as the meals are quite expensive so I expect them to be top notch. I was not feeling like sea food this day so I chose the chicken entre for lunch. The flavor was good but the chicken was very dry and in some spots on the skin was actually burnt... My grilled peach salad however was great! If I come to the cliff house again I would go to the Bistro, same views but less expensive.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014We absolutely fell in love with this restaurant! We started off our night with walking around the cliff house, snapping pics and enjoying the fantastic view. We made reservations and were seated immediately. We had a window seat over looking the cliff which was beautiful. I ordered the smoked salmon flat bread stArter this was hands down the most delicious plate of food I have ever ate. Great restaurant! If I am back in San Fran this would be a must on my to do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous lunch spotSigonaDined on 9/3/2014We met our son here for his 21st birthday and we all had a lovely time. The waiter was kind, timely, and experienced. He was quite handsome too ;) The drinks were great, the food was great, and the desserts were delicious. Everything was perfect including the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryNeekVIPDined on 9/2/2014We were married at the Cliff House and enjoyed a marvelous anniversary dinner at Sutro's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunset heavenfoodlover2014Dined on 9/2/2014whenever you want dinner or appetizers be sure to come to this san Francisco treat of a hidaway. the views of the ocean are spectacular and the vies of the sunset during dinner are priceless. I highly recommend the oysters on the half shell and the mai taiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014very nice restaurant and romantic, just make sure you have reserved your cap before you leave restaurant otherwise have to wait 30 min or so for rid if don't drive your own car! I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco iconBobmDined on 9/1/2014For our 35th we went to the cliff house. Most amazing view ever. We had a reservation but we asked for a table right by the window. They lost us for a while but once they were aware of it, gave us a great table with a great view. Definitely worth the wait. I would say a special occasion menu, but it will be memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLandBDined on 8/31/2014We dined at Sutro's for our first wedding anniversary. We waited a few minutes longer for our table, as the hostess wanted to make sure we were seated at a window. The service was fantastic, and the food was delicious and beautifully presented too. We had chosen to share two appetizers, and they even went to the trouble of plating these separately for us. Overall a fabulous evening and dinner. Will definitely recommend and return ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit.happycustomer1975Dined on 8/31/2014The food was incredible, the wine was perfect and the service was as good as you can get. Next time I'm in S.F., I'll visit the Cliff House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetsustravellerDined on 8/31/2014Great views and sunset on the Pacific, very good food and exceptional serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.