Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: (415) 386-3330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (308)special occasion (244)romantic (200)fit for foodies (106)great for lunch (100)good for groups (66)great for brunch (59)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (52)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (11)Show More
- Fabulous view!AnnyDined on 11/25/2014Our family had a wonderful dinner here with a view of the Pacific and a sunset sky. Food and wine were scrumptious and the service was friendly. Would love to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service with excellent viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014Finally after 3 times to San Francisco, we made it to the Cliff House. Food was excellent and good quality. The mussels were huge - not the tiny ones you usually get. My husband had the scallops and I had the Thai bouillabaisse. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Went on a Tuesday night - wine was 1/2 price for a bottle! Go EARLY so you get to see the view. We booked for 5pm and it was dark by 6pm. The waitress was excellent. She was very engaging and made our evening more enjoyable. You have to take a taxi down. We were worried about how to get one back, however, the staff was very helpful in arranging transportation back to our hotel. We enjoy dining out and this was by far our best meal and experience this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Sutro's on November 16CalbearDined on 11/16/2014My husband and I like to take our godmother to Sutros for dinner on her Birthday. We have been doing this for a couple of years. So, last Sunday we took her there. This time the service left a lot to be desired. Our waiter was inattentive. it took over 20 minutes between finishing our salads and when the entrees arrived. My husband ordered the vegetable risotto which came lukewarm, We asked our waiter (Roger) to have the kitchen heat it up.... the dish was returned to us and it was still lukewarm. Roger asked if it was OK and we said no it was still lukewarm and he just walked away. My salmon entree on the other hand was perfect as was my Godmother's scallops entree. It was just disappointing for my husband that his dish was not only luke warm but pretty bland. It was one of the worst risotto's he's ever had. And Roger's reaction didn't help at all.Special Features:
- Great Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014Dining here is a treat! It's a great location, off the beaten path! Awesome combination of food, views, and architecture!! Don't miss it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tale of parking/1 mean hostess/1 nice hostessJulieDined on 11/15/2014Hard to park. Have the driver wear walking shoes and drop dining party off. No valet until dinner. If you run into a sassy hostess, please know the other employees are not that mean and are genuinely happy to serve you. Good views, good service and good food.Special Features:
- Mystery foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Food is good and view is nice, but I really didn't have any idea what any of the food looked like from the description on the menu. This is a personal opinion but I think that the food looked better than it actually tasted. The seared scallops tasted a bit bitter, although the consistency was good. Overall the dish became boring pretty quickly because all the tastes blended together and got dominated by the bitter flavor, maybe things could have been prepared separately and combined on presentation instead of cooking everything together at some point to prevent this taste spill over. I also ordered the dungeness crab louis and it tasted okay. Felt like a lightly flavored salad dish, I wasn't expecting this as an entree. Everything was very light but again, very boring very quickly. What somewhat irked me about the dish was it felt like no one beta-tested this dish by sitting down and eating it with a fork. If you could pick this food up and eat it, I guess it makes sense but the size of the lettuce leaves makes it hard to stab with a fork and keep the crab neatly on it. We also ordered the ahi tuna tartare, and I feel that this dish had the most flavor of all the ones that we ordered, there's enough fun and complexity here while eating that I kept my interest for the whole dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hillDisappointedVIPDined on 11/14/2014We have been to this restaurant numerous times and have enjoyed the ambiance and the food. This visit was extremely disappointing. The restaurant downstairs is lovely and a wonderful venue for a very nice dinner in all respects. That said, there was a jazz band playing upstairs that was so loud we could not hear each other speak. Not realizing that it was live music I asked if it could be turned down. The response ---- no concern that it was extremely annoying - just an off the cuff response -- "It's live music". Kind of implied - - - "So deal with it !" Addiitionaly, the food was terrible. Granted, living in SF and my son living in NYC, we do get spoiled and expect the best, this food was far from it. My son did not finish his scallops and I did not finish my duck. It simply was NOT A GOOD MEAL. Our waiter was superb.
- Roomy seating, nicely prepared food and deserts.NAS185Dined on 11/14/2014My wife and I are born and raised in San Francisco, and although the Cliff house is a tourist destination, we go there because we love the view, atmosphere and the food. The restaurant does not cater to just tourists, but to any and all customers. I do recommend the Cliff House to my out-of-state friends and they are never disappointed. The food is imaginative and well served. Parking was pretty easy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cliff House Review2oldfolksDined on 11/13/2014Very Nice. We met with my brother and his wife, and I think we all enjoyed it a lot. The food was good and the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1sferDined on 11/13/2014Except for the halved small canned beets used in the salad the meal was good. Maybe the beets weren't rinsed properly; in any case they were unappetizing. Oh, I do like beets. The wait staff seemed to be understaffed, but they were very pleasant and professional. My husband and I had a leisurely two-hour lunch which is something you can't get everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall...seanchoVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food was ok; ambiance was that of a library. I was not impressed by any means with the service, I’ve worked in hotels for a good portion of my career and the level of hospitality was minimal. I felt as if I was a burden and not a guest.Special Features:
- Dinner by the seaLeoraDined on 11/9/2014This restaurant is located on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The interior is modern and provides good ambiance. The food and wine were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The food was amazing, as was the ambiance and service! The wine and dessert was amazing as well. Beautiful view that can't be beat. Transportation left something to be desired, very hard to get a cab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014While the waitstaff was very friendly, they were not tentative to our needs. We were not offered any water. We ordered a bottle of wine that did not arrive to our table until after we finished our appetizer. We had to ask the waitperson who delivered the appetizer if we could have water. We were never offered complimentary refills on our bread, although all the tables around us received multiple refills. No on ever checked in to see how we were doing. It felt as though we were invisible to the waitstaff.Special Features:
- Cliff House ExperienceJasonBaca10Dined on 11/9/2014View and environment great, but food and service was poor.Special Features:
- MarkDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic restaurant. It has the best views I have ever seen. The food and service matched the view. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieDined on 11/8/2014The view was magnificent and the service outstanding. You look out over the ocean, the Sutro bath ruins, and Seal Rocks covered with a multitude of birds. We had a cocktail each and shared the beet salad. Then I had the double crab sandwich and my niece had the scallops. For dessert we had the butterscotch and the fruit pandowdy along with coffee. Everything was wonderful. The only drawback I find to the Cliff House is finding parking. This time we lucked out and found one just about 100 feet beyond the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great location, Great FoodJohnnyLocoDined on 11/7/2014Sutro's was a little out of the way from our hotel but well worth the drive. It has a unique location set on a cliff with huge floor windows overlooking the beach and the ocean. Unfortunately the iconic San Francisco fog was there the night we visited so we didnt' get to enjoy what would be an amazing view. The food and service were excellent and they had a great selection of wines with an outstanding recommendation from our waiter. This is a good choice if you are looking for a romantic dinner for two or a very nice location for a group event. They had a wedding in a separate room while we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sutro's Two Crab SandwichPaulaVIPDined on 11/7/2014The two crab sandwich at lunch at Sutro's is heavenly. I've taken a number of friends to Sutro's for the two crab sandwich at lunch, and they all love it. It's very relaxing with the waves below you. It is a bit expensive, but a lovely place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food meh for the priceartwallisDined on 11/4/2014With tip $130 for two people. Salmon underdone, small portions, small menu, New York Steak was $40....Not going back. Pretty views and good staff. Come for the gift shop and a drink at the bar. Eat elsewhere.Special Features:
- It was a Happy Birthday!pianogypsyDined on 11/4/2014I treated my lady friend to a 75th birthday lunch and it was truly delightful. My request on the reservation was to honor her in some way, and that they did--with a menu signed by the staff rolled into a scroll, and a heavenly petite ramekin of warm butterscotch pudding topped with whipped cream and a tiny lit candle. (No singing, for which we were thankful.) Slight disappointment with the entrees: she asked for the lamb to be done as rare as possible, but the end piece was well done even though the rest did show a pink tinge. My local fish was crispy outside and tender inside which was perfect, but the salad greens were drenched with a dressing that was so heavy with onion that I could not eat it. But a happy celebration overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Beautiful restaurant and dinner was excellent! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014The experience was excellent! We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watching the waves...SweetieVIPDined on 11/2/2014Had a lovely early brunch with out of town guest. We come before Chamber music at the Legion to sip a bit of bubbly, catch up, and chow down on exquisite salads, yummy huevos, and best views in town!Special Features:
- Unforgettable Honeymoon experienceSirhcDined on 11/1/2014We came all the way from Hong Kong to have our honeymoon trip here. Cliff House gave us an unforgettable night, especially the seat they reserved for us, breath taking view of pacific ocean and sunset. Food was really good and service was very nice. I will come again for family gathering for sure.Special Features:
- Special occasionnot2gobackDined on 10/31/2014It's my husband birthday that day Oct 31.I expect that they do something like the next table it's birthday they gave a small cake.But for my husband did not get anything which I mention on my reservation birthday of my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceanic Giants WinWendybearDined on 10/29/2014Cliff House is so perfect because of history the islands, the sea, and with great food and service, it was the perfect place to have dinner with old and new friends, Giants were winning final game of world series, we could hear the cheers for each out before the phones would update..... Great night.Special Features:
- Amazing!HeathmaceatsDined on 10/27/2014The food was out of this world. The service was excellent. The environment is clean, inviting and comfortable. My out of town guests were thrilled with the historic location as well. Five stars!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Norwegian NibblerstouristDined on 10/27/2014We liked the view and the atmosphere, film stars and a trip down memory lane...food was ok, but nothing more. The wine saved the day.Special Features:
- Great Except the ScallopsAlexDined on 10/27/2014We love coming here. Starting with the bread and butter with red salt. The wine list is great, good low price options. The soup was very good. The beet salad was very good also. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The pasta was good, a little salty. The scallops...the actual scallops were good. The rice that came with the scallops, was bad, really bad. My mom and I had the scallops. We saw this other lady also had the scallops and was playing with her rice. She did not know what to do with it. The scallops came with this strange pimiento de piquillo foam....the rice was soggy...it had too many peas, and for some strange reason they decided to put shrimp in it. Simplicity please!Special Features:
- Wow, a great end to a great visitKimosabeDined on 10/27/2014We ended our visit to San Francisco with dinner at the Cliff House. Umm, wow, the view, the food and above all the service from the wonderful lady that looked after us..what can I say. Absolutely superb. Thank you for a wonderful experience from two Aussie visitors. We will be encouraging our friends to visit your restaurant.Special Features:
- CeebsDined on 10/27/2014Food was nicely presented, and OK but not great for the high prices.Special Features:
- Wonderful view at sunset!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was exotic and delicious. There were beautiful views of the wonderful coastline from the floor to ceiling windows of the restaurant.. The restaurant also has some deep rooted history with San Francisco - so it is a great place to impress visitors. I loved the rack of lamb-very tender with amazing flavors. They showcase wines and beers from California. -Truly great for tourists to California!Special Features:
- Why The Rush???chaunceysfVIPDined on 10/25/2014The staff at this restaurant need training! They were in such a hurry to get things ordered, delivered and get the table turned for the next customer that a really special occasion became much less so. As we just sat down, the waiter came and asked for our drink order. We asked for a few minutes, which to him meant about "two" because he was right back again. Finally asked for water, just to give us a moment to look over the drink menu. This "hurry, hurry, hurry" attitude from the waiter continued throughout the meal UNTIL the final bit, when we were already completely finished with the dessert course before the coffee (ordered at the same time as the dessert) arrived at the table. And, of course, the check...Special Features:
- ifonlyifonlyDined on 10/25/2014A very special family member was in SF for a medical meeting and I wanted a memorable dinner for her so made our reservation just before sunset. We watched the sun sink into the Pacific, the waves crashing on the rocks, the arrival of nightfall, two ships leaving through the Golden Gate disappear over the western horizon. Plus the food and ambiance were absolutely outstanding. I had a roasted beet salad, the halibut entree, a lemon sorbet dessert, and a couple of glasses of a delightful Pinot Grigio...every bite (and swallow) was wonderful. All in all, a superb evening.Special Features:
- An incredible visitCaptainKirkDined on 10/25/2014With great food, exceptional service, and a beautiful view, Cliff House is certainly a place that must be visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!Bhat08Dined on 10/25/2014Absolutely loved the Cliff House. Will return again and again. Thank you for the wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review from 26 Oct - as wellCliffhousefanDined on 10/22/2014This input is regarding my dining experience on 10/26: There was a young female Asian who was a bread server and a bus person who was abrupt and not very pleasant in her demeanor. She was not rude, but she was terse and also was very noisy in removing our plates with her banging the plates and silverware in the diners' ear. In using the silver butler to remove table crumbs she reached across my companions face with her arm (arm pit in his face). This service person could benefit from more intensive customer service training. Also, bar service was excrutiatingly slow. Our second round of drinks arrived close to our departure. We were told there was only one bartender on duty.Special Features:
- Great View/Great Two Crab SandwichPaulaVIPDined on 10/22/2014I love the two crab sandwich at lunch so much that I went back a second time in a week, and took a friend to celebrate the Giants doing so well. My friend said it was the best sandwich he'd had. Yes, this restaurant is pricey, so I don't go too often, but when I do go, I feel it is worth the price. With beautiful views of the Pacific, wonderful food, and a friendly wait staff, I go when I can.Special Features:
- Very nice but over pricedBuffaloDined on 10/22/2014Great view. Food was very good but for 4 of us it was $145.00 for lunch. Two of us had water, one ice tea and one coke. Go for a special occasion or if you have money. For us it was a special occasion.Special Features: