Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
416 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (379)special occasion (284)romantic (235)great for lunch (128)fit for foodies (124)great for brunch (93)notable wine list (70)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (50)kid-friendly (34)hot spot (28)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- PaulOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/24/2014Amazing experience with excellent food and service. The waiter was kind and could have been more caring of our needs and he was in love with the food. The view of they bay at sun set was spectacular . One of the most complete dining experienced we have ever had .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below AverageKarenVIPDined on 8/24/2014We went on a Sunday. We were a party of three, two arrived first and we wouldn't be seated until the third arrived. This is really irritating especially if you've booked a table. We were directed to sit at a bar table until the whole party arrived. We ordered a drink and when our table was ready we had to close out the bar tab. Why can't it be transfered and put on our food bill? The brunch menu is limited. Service was slow, long wait between drink order, food order etc. Overall a weird vibe, like tired of serving people, tired of tourists, don't really care.Special Features:
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed a tasty lunch with great views and reasonably priced wine. Service started off great but fell off as the meal progressed.Special Features:
- Birthday LuncheonMaggieDined on 8/23/2014WE took our son here for lunch. The setting is lovely, views outstanding, service fine and food just ok. I would probably go again but with lower expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The dinner was superb both me and my lady could not stop commenting on how good it was. We were there at night so I can't comment on the scenery. Worth it just for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coloradoseafoodloverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014absolutely everything it was built up to be ... the view was spectacular.... dolphins, seals, great sunset .... go just before sunset you wont regret it .... food was amazing everything was super fresh ... and try the lemon soufflé ... awesome .....would recommend it to everyone I know without hesitation ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dallasdesignerDined on 8/22/2014You do not want to miss this place. The view is incredible!!!Special Features:
- Fabulous viewKarendkn1Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent find fantastic scenery fabulous food friendly staff highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pacific View - Average foodBB13VIPDined on 8/19/2014Three of us dining. One with a very good meal, other two only average. Expensive in general. Ocean views were breathtaking. Service was very good. Scenic experience, would not return for food.Special Features:
- Service was good,food mediocre.LandDDined on 8/16/2014Service was good but slow. It was fairly quiet. The food was a little ordinary in flavor and servings were small, although beautifully presented. Rather pricey for the serving size.Special Features:
- Great food with a viewniteoutDined on 8/14/2014Sutro's continues to provide excellent meals, using fresh ingredients, presented with flair. It's a great restaurant anytime you're out near Ocean Beach or Golden Gate Park.Special Features:
- A Local TreaureMillvalleyfoodieDined on 8/13/2014We took out of town guests to Sutro's at The Cliff House straight from AT&T Park to complete a fabulous day in San Francisco. The host sat us early at the best table, due to a large party arriving later. The food and the views were outstanding. Some dishes we enjoyed were generous and properly cooked lamb chops, flavorful Atlantic salmon, tender roast duck plus a shared heirloom tomato salad and the always delicious chocolate lava cake. Sutro's and The Cliff House are not just for tourists. The food is sophisticated and well-prepared and the staff is lovely. Our server Richard was excellent--friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Sutro'scscsDined on 8/12/2014A great view, especially if you have guests new to the west coast or San Francisco. Food not as good as a couple of years ago. Surprised that there was only one oyster variety. Wine list was nice with modest choices available. Martini was excellent. The food is a bit dated, would have been exciting about ten years ago. Decently prepared, but not ideal. My salmon was a bit overdone. Service was friendly and appropriate, but at times slow (we waited a long time to order dessert). But, you can't beat that view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningjustusDined on 8/12/2014It is nice to find a place that serves great food, has attentive yet unobtrusive waiters, and is quiet enough to have conversations without having to shout.Special Features:
- The most mediocre mealTraveldiscovereatDined on 8/11/2014While on vacation in San Francisco we decided to give Sutro's a try. The reviews I read before making a reservation suggested the view was better than the food, but it was worth it. We ate a late dinner so we were not able to enjoy the view, but our hotel is nearby and this is a yearly trip to SF for us so missing the view was not a big issue. The menu looked to be great and was small, usually indicating the food is good as the chef has only select items to prepare. The food we received was cold-warm and bland. The price for the food we received was outrageous. We do not mind an expensive or higher priced restaurant...but the food needs to meet the standards of the cost. It seems as if Sutro's attempted "upscale" and then stopped trying.Special Features:
- Great to come back to the CHnotasfoodieasyouDined on 8/11/2014Haven't been here in ages--since it has been rebuilt to be honest. Have walked by it many, many times but seems more like a tourist spot so not as interested. However, my birthday came up rather quickly this year and we forgot to make reservations for downtown restaurant. Made resos here and am glad we did. As Sunset resident, cannot believe we have not been coming here--service is great and food is very yummy. Although website asks that we not expect to sit at a window seat (we ate downstairs at Sutro's) we were given a wonderful table. I had crab ravioli and my husband had some sort of fish stew which he loved. Bread, of course was fanatastic--so tangy--real sourdough. Service was great-we had drinks up at the Bistro and dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views!CliffordDined on 8/11/2014Very average food! The table I requested overlooking the incredible Californian coastline was honoured So we feasted our eyes on the beauty of San Francisco's Ocean Beach... Unfortunately the $20 appetiser of crab cakes was almost inedible - tasteless filling and an unpleasant overcooked crumb. I absolutely love crab cakes and was starving but had to leave this unfinished and annoyed that I had bothered to wasted $20 on it.... The main course/entree was a crab and artichoke pasta dish and this fared better although too al dente for me .... Very rich and again unfinished .... With a very moderate bottle of wine (our first choice not being available ) the bill was $140 minus tip for two course lunch! Go ..... But for the view NOT the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Obviously, as tourists, we came here for the view and the name. Read some not-so-great reviews about the food before dinner. We hesitated a bit. Turned out the food was great. Very fresh oysters. One of the best I have ever had. Great lamb rack. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great dinnerMujunDined on 8/9/2014Great dinner, everything is fabulous. It is the most romantic meal in my traveling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food/view at The Cliff HouseDiscriminatingDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014We happened upon this great restaurant when visiting the Land's End area of San Francisco to take our kids to see the previous site of the historic Cliff House. Everyone recommended The Bistro for good food, but there was a 45-minute wait. Sutro's was part of the same complex, so I went on OpenTable and booked a table for 15 minutes out. We then walked downstairs and were seated immediately with at a table with a wonderful view through floor to ceiling windows. They had an excellent children's menu and the salmon was fantastic. I would go back again and again if I lived there to try everything on the menu. Service was pleasant and well-paced. It's well worth the visit and a great way to take in and enjoy the views at this historic site!Special Features:
- high price food for the viewdoobieonDined on 8/9/2014The seafood was good and fresh. However, food was not exceptional and service was acceptable. Expect to pay $50 pp for brunch (or, for the view). For the price there are certainly better restaurants but the view of the ocean is is really what you are paying for. Nice setting, big window, relaxing ... it's a good to start the weekend like this.Special Features:
- Did not dissappoint!KatMDined on 8/8/2014Made reservations via Open table and so glad I did as we had to modify our plans twice. Easy Peasey..they honored my request for a window seat. Everything nice and clean. Excellent service by Alex except he didn't check back to see if evertlything was OK..it was. Had the steak frites and it was cooked to perfection. Truffle fries wete good and not too greasy but flavorful and hot. I dislike tepid food. Red trout sandwhich was flavorful and had a side salad.Ordered the butterscotch pots de creme for dessert and it was finger lickin good!..not a dessert person per se but this was super delectible, light but not airy. Ambiance soothing and relaxing. It is pricey $$$ but soooooo worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sad little crabcakesSFFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Really, the crab cakes were tiny and there was only a few strings of crab meat and the rest was just bread crumbs and maybe a little bit of onion. The sauce was good but there was only an eyedropper full of sauce on the plate. The crab cakes were very uniform in shape, much like the ones you get frozen. Made me wonder..... We made reservations and yet we got seated in the "other room" right by the emergency exit doors where a very icy breeze was blowing on my back. There were plenty of open tables in the main dinning room, why did we get this table? I was going to ask to be moved but I like the waiter we had. He has been there for over 30 years and has been our waiter many times. My steak was good. It had better be at $44.00!Special Features:
- Great restaurantDanoDined on 8/6/2014Went for my girlfriends birthday and defiantly wasn't disappointed. Had the crab cakes which they were nice enough to split for us, crab and artichoke ravioli which was awesome and creme brule for dessert. Was lucky enough to get a window seat and service was great. Will defiantly be coming back in the future. A little pricey for my tastes but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful View and Friendly ServiceChicagoNativesDined on 8/6/2014We truly enjoyed the Cliff House, if not just for the historical aspect, the view was stunning (we saw a whale, dolphins and Pelicans while we were eating) and our waiter was so friendly. He explained the history of the restaurant, the Sutro baths and kept pointing out the wildlife for us to view. We loved him. The food was all very delicious, but obviously pricey. We didn't expect anything different. The true hit of the evening though was the dessert, the Butterscotch Pots de Crème was divine! We ended up ordering another! We had our sons with us, ages 15 and 13, and they enjoyed the restaurant just as much as my husband and I. We had been hiking Land's End all day, and the restaurant was fine with our casual attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening overallJillDined on 8/6/2014Party of 5, we had a perfect corner table with a beautiful view of the ocean. The service was wonderful & the food was delicious. We were saying farewell to friends and we wanted to give them a special San Francisco memory. Sutro's was the perfect place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal - service so-sowreycoxDined on 8/5/2014Our waiter was in a hurry, didn't make eye contact and the strategy is evidently to NOT take your order for as long as possible. I understand the desire to increase the cocktail bill and I was disappointed with the obviousness. Our waiter was visibly annoyed that we ordered an appetizer at the same time as our drink. The restaurant was about 1/2 full and our heirloom tomato appetizer took 45 minutes to arrive. Our entire time at the restaurant was 2.5 hours and that's without dessert and it's not because WE lingered. The main course was excellent though and so was the sunsetSpecial Features:
- Romantic IndeedFoody33Dined on 8/3/2014Everything about this place is exceptional. From the location, ambiance, food, and service. Awesome place to celebrate something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed great view& awesome serviceTomWDined on 8/3/2014Wonderful panoramic view of the Ocean, very helpful and attentive service, great wine and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spot with gourmet chefOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014The room, view, wait staff, food & drinks at lunchtime are 5 star. The patrons are SF tourists, dressed like farm hands, and ladies who lunch, who look like charity league supporters. The meal isn't inexpensive but the mix works, probably because everyone who's there can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulExcellentFind23Dined on 8/1/2014My siblings and I brough our mother for her 65th birthday, she had heard wonderful things about Cliff House and wanted to try it. We had a group of 9; 7 adults and 2 children (a 4 year old and 3 year old). They both had the spaghetti and loved it. Our server was wonderful, he was exceptionally helpful & patient as we browsed the menu asking questions on the various items listed. My brother had The Lamb, "It was unbelievably good", the Age York I was told "It was great", My mother and I enjoyed the 140z pork chop it was so surprising tender, juicy and perfectly seasoned, my sister The Crab Artichoke Ravioli's response, Loved it! with crab cakes, salad all while listneing to live jazz cant get any better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best table in the house!AnneJfromChicagoDined on 8/1/2014While in town on vacation, thru Open Table I requested a table with a view to celebrate a special occasion for a party of 6, and boy did they deliver! We were seated at the table literally in the center of the windows with an unbelievable floor to ceiling view of the Pacific, and had it not been so foggy, would have been an unbelievable sunset! The service was outstanding; the food was very good and the ambiance was festive with the Jazz band playing upstairs. Great place to see the Pacific and the historic bathes. My party enjoyed the meal and experience immensely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion50inSFDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful place to celebrate my 50th birthday! Wonderful table with a view . Staff was great and they went out of their way to find our cell phone we lost there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNonienanaDined on 8/1/2014It was my friends' anniversary and they had travelled here from North Carolina to celebrate. I suggested the Cliff House and you did not disappoint. The hostess went out of her way to make it a truly special and memorable dining experience. Our, waiter, Jeff, gave us excellent service. The food was delicious and the view spectacular. Kudos to the Cliff House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, bad food and serviceTexasDined on 7/31/2014We had a great view, the service was very very slow, our food came out in a hr and 15 minutes. Than our fish was dry and taste like cardboard I guess they had it in the oven for the 1hr there menus only has a handful of items, to chose from you would think those items would be al-some ,Special Features:
- You pay for the viewAronDined on 7/30/2014Ok place, nice view, expensive! Nothing more. Food is better at the fisherman's wharf's different sea food stands. Very disappointed, had quite high expectations.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised....DickensVIPDined on 7/30/2014A restaurant I thought of as a tourist destination turned out to be very well appointed, professional staff, food beautifully presented. AND then there is the view. I am going back...Special Features:
- Great view, ok foodSammyDined on 7/30/2014We were taking an out-of –town guest to the Cliff House for lunch. We were delayed in traffic and our reservation for lunch was kindly held for us. In addition we were treated to a window seat. The views from the Bistro are spectacular, even on this cloudy day. One of our group ordered a glass of Chardonnay and the waiter brought the most expensive of the three choices, $13, without asking which was preferred. Two of our party ordered the crab sandwich which was a little dry and not very flavorful. The crab stuffed ravioli was mediocre. The fourth dish, the Crab Louie was great. At $198.00 for four with only one glass of wine and no dessert we felt the prices were extremely high. We wouldn't go back, even for the lovely view.Special Features:
- Sutro's ReviewCbellDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant had the most beautiful view. It's too bad that the food was only average at best. The waitstaff did the bare minimum.Special Features:
- Does not know how to cook meatsDougzerDined on 7/27/2014Steak and pork chops were ordered, both were grossly overcooked. Service was slow. View was excellent. Does not carry sweet dessert wines. Will not come back.Special Features: