Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
364 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (331)special occasion (257)romantic (214)fit for foodies (108)great for lunch (103)great for brunch (71)notable wine list (63)good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (54)hot spot (27)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Beautiful view and food that is good if not outstanding. All kinds of people dine here and with good reason. It's lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulboom21VIPDined on 10/17/2014This is my fourth time enjoying dinner at Sutro's at the Cliff House. The food has always been delicious and beautifully presented. I love taking my visitors here for dinner or just a cocktail, they're very pleased with the experience and want to dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant getawaySJdiningVIPDined on 10/13/2014We ate lunch here on our getaway day. It had a very nice relaxing environment and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceJasonBaca10Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent Scenic View. The restaurant is crowded, and food is good. Must have reservations in order to get seating.Special Features:
- bouillabaisse!TakashiDined on 10/12/2014Awesome bouillabaisse! We had fully enjoyed the perfect food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationCharlieLDined on 10/11/2014This was our 10th anniversary celebration. My wife picked up the place and I am so glad I agreed! The place and the service were just outstanding, with very friendly and knowledgable staff and crew. Definitely coming back again soon.Special Features:
- Will not be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I requested a nice table and mentioned that it was our anniversary in the notes. My girlfriend checked in as I found parking. She was treated quite poorly upon inquiring about our reservation. The manager did not bother to ask or look up the name of our reso until prompted to do so. He told my girlfriend to wait without giving any notice of the status of our table and how long it would be. It took at least 8 minutes before our server even approached our table. No mention of specials or color commentary whatsoever. Food was salty and overcooked and incredibly overpriced. Not once was our anniversary mentioned or anything special done. For the price, I expect MUCH higher quality food and service. Would never go back nor recommend this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Great experience at Sutro's on Saturday night. Food and service top notch. Sunset wasn't bad either! It was a sea food night for our table: halibut, two salmon and scallops. Everyone was swooning over the presentation and taste. Our waiter overheard that it was a birthday event and provided a nice sweet surprise and very sweet of him. We were surprised at spending 3 hours over drinks, starters, mains and dessert - we enjoyed every minute and never felt rushed. Thanks for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choiceMaRKVIPDined on 10/10/2014We were only in San Francisco for a short visit but we were glad to get a dinner at Sutros while there. Good seafood and pretty beach even though it was dark.Special Features:
- Lovelyf231Dined on 10/8/2014We were able to get a midweek reservation with 3 days notice. The table available was unusually small, but we still had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birds and MoreChrisDined on 10/7/2014Wonderful environment for lunch with bird life all around. Great view of the pacific ocean and the ships going by. A San Francisco gem to show visitors that the city is not all busy and hassle. Parking cane problem and you need to be careful backing up into a curvy street. A parking lot is available on the top of the hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsjonnybrunoDined on 10/6/2014I expected this to be a great view, mediocre over priced food venue. I was very happy to find that all of the food was great, and our service was even better. I sampled 4 entrees from all members of my party, and 2 appetizers. Everything was excellent, and the service was very professional. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Iconic Sanfranciscoverynice2u2allDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant is built in the cliffs @ Los lobos Pt. SF,CA.. so beautiful!! I hadn't been here in years.. and I wanted to bring my new found younger cousin who was visiting the area to this iconic landmark.. very good food the open faced lamb sandwich and the truffle parmesan frets were just delicious my red trout fish sandwich was soo fresh yum!!! we had a yummy time and after lunch we walked around and took pictures of the beautiful cliffs and beach! It's a lil' pricey but it's well worth it.. Oh and i'm a big History buff the building is over 100 yrs. old…..Special Features:
- Pacific OceanGrandmaMarthaDined on 10/6/2014Even on the foggy day we were at Cliff House Restaurant it is comforting to have the ocean by its side and as the fog began to lift it's wonderful to see the GG Bridge, Marin Headlands and the ocean waves and birds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Lunch for ThreewineluvrDined on 10/6/2014I had been to brunch at Cliff House in the past, but this was the first time for lunch. The three of us who usually get together near Christmas decided to go earlier this year and two of our number suggested Cliff House. Fortunately open on a Monday and providing the window table as requested, Sutro's did not disappoint. Our waiter was super, as was the food. Our ocean view was slightly muted by fog, but beautiful, and the room was so quiet (there were other diners) that we had a great conversation and didn't feel rushed. Somewhat pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crashing wavesMarigold1Dined on 10/5/2014We were new to the city and our cab driver couldn't find a cliff House! It was a long drive in the dark with me navigating from the rear car seat with a torch! It would have been so much better to see the view in daylight. But the setting and ambiance were wonderful and it really is an iconic building. The foods was fabulous and the whole experience is beautiful and atmospheric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for couplesRanchoDined on 10/5/2014The menu options were limited but the selection was good. It was romantic, but of course pricey because you get the view of the ocean.Special Features:
- Lots of moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was a very expensive restaurant for a restaurant with average food. The view is lovely but not for $60 a person with no alcohol
- Can't go wrongBradsterDined on 10/4/2014We come back here each year to celebrate our anniversary and it never disappoints. The wait staff are very attentive and have small conversations with each table. We have recognized the same wait staff over the last 3 years which is a great sign. They view is spectacular in any weather. I do not eat seafood and the non seafood options are always phenomenal. I also like that they offer Moet and Chandon my the glass and have a large selection of half bottles which allow you try a out a wine with each course. I recommend Sutro's for anyone wanting a relaxing top quality meal with a spectacular view. Great for locals and out of towners alike.Special Features:
- Oct 3 dinnerDragonPenDined on 10/3/2014Pricey but worth it, especially on a clear day with a table view out over the ocean. Sunsets are awesome.Special Features:
- Table by the windowCubsfanfromIdahoDined on 10/3/2014If you are looking to have a view od the sun setting beyond the ocean, this is the place for you. The food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestGeorgeSDined on 10/2/2014great food, service, and an unbelievable view. Get there at sunset for the best experience, but even with out the view, the food and service make the experience wonderful.Special Features:
- Color faded awayworldtravellerDined on 10/2/2014I was very disappointed about the kitchen at all. All five dishes I had were of low taste. I missed flavors, interesting tastes. Sorbet was not half-frozen, what it should be, it was fully frozen, hard and hardly to eat, with just one spoon. Not even an additional fork was offered. The Sangria tasted like water and not like orange juice and red wine. I don't know where all the good reviews are from, should be elder one's. In the end I paid more than 200 $ and it wasn't worth it. Best of the restaurant are the stunning views outside.Special Features:
- Something SpecialMarleyDined on 10/2/2014You watch the ocean and the cormorants on the rocky island, surfers and container ships coming to the Golden Gate. You may fall in love with the mussels or steak frite. Try something new each time, or order your favorite each time you come here. Maybe it's the hot roll with the salted butter. Great place.Special Features:
- historic location and viewshenryDined on 10/1/2014Historic view of lands end and the entrance to the golden gate as seen by early Spanish and English explorers and later by military ships returning home during World War II, including the rocks below and the Marin headlands to the north. The food was good though a bit expensive, the ambiance very good, and the noise level was low during lunch mid-week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants!LBHoustonDined on 9/29/2014This restaurant has the most amazing views of the Ocean andmsunset. The food matches the views...outstanding. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Viewirenethequeen59Dined on 9/29/2014The food was excellent. Unfortunately, the service was not. While our waitress was very nice, and helpful, our water glasses were never refilled ( I no there is a water shortage, but it would have been nice if we had been asked) and we were never offered a coffee refill. Also, without a dress code, it was unpleasant to see people in cut-off shorts and t-shirts during dinner hour. We were off a cruise ship and were very excited to dine at this historic landmark, but we were disappointed with the service. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a VERT laid=back experience, but not for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon 80th Birthday CelebrationCrimpmystyleDined on 9/29/2014We took our 80 year old "birthday girl" out to lunch. We were treated royally by the staff and she was served a free dessert. Our heirloom tomato salad was split on two plates. More bread was brought upon request. The three entrees were yummy and unique. We had Rock Cod, mussels and steak. All were delicious and described well by the waiter. All the staff went out of their way to make it a special afternoon for us including taking pictures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cliff House at sunsetDannyCDined on 9/28/2014The view was great; looking out over the ocean at the setting sun. Food was excellent both in presentation and quality. Plates were warm and food was cooked just right, fish perfect, veggies a bit crunchy. Of course we had a bottle of California wine to accompany supper, which was delicious. The only negative point I would add was that although service was good, they only poured the wine at the outset and only once after even when someone came by to ask if everything was good and our glasses were empty, they did not bother to check our glasses and refill them. The restaurant and venue was really worth the visit.Special Features:
- Nice brunch ..great view!,tastygirlVIPDined on 9/28/2014Perfect spot on the way to the Legion of honor.We do not like big buffet brunches so this was a great choice.Special Features:
- extremely slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014female hostess was very rude...never hardly saw our server....for the money we paid you would've expected btr service ....lesson learnedSpecial Features:
- Great experiencejmorelli39Dined on 9/26/2014Fantastic. I thought we were going to get an overpriced tourist stop and we had a very fine dining experience instead. Wonderful food and the prices were in line with what a fine restaurant would charge.Special Features:
- Creative seafood selectionssfeddieDined on 9/26/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – fantastic dining room that puts you on top of the ocean. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The seafood selections were spot on. Everyone loved the Halibut and scallops dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable."Special Features:
- Dining at Sutro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The best thing about Sutro's at the Cliff House is the amazing views. The Food was excellent, although if you are a big eater don't expect to get full here. I am from the midwest and used to large portions. The portions were very small and pricey for me. The views more than make up for the small portions and price. Absolutely amazing location for a restaurant. Great for special occasion!Special Features:
- Another Great Meal With FriendsElMaridoDined on 9/26/2014We try to bring visiting friends for the good food and the impressive dining room. We book a sunset table and, with luck, are rewarded with a spectacular view. Good service. Very good food. High ceiling quiet room in the main section. $78 per person with drinks, wine, starter and entree, dessert - before tip.Special Features:
- Wow! Delightful!CariocaGirlVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a sunny fall day in San Francisco and decided to go have lunch ocean side for our wedding anniversary. We chose the place for the location and did not expect much given how touristy it could be, attracting people for the location and not for the food and service. We were wowed by the wonderful experience. Beautiful dining room, wonderful food, very nice service. We would highly recommend it and will return some day.Special Features:
- Fabulous!TravelbugDined on 9/25/2014Extraordinary view! Fantastic food! Great service! Everything about Sutro's was wonderful. We were travelling with a large group and they were able to accommodate us with a spectacular table. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu. Everybody tried something different from the menu and everyone raved about their choices. Worth the cab ride, recommended to others in our group who felt the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow and coldPogoDined on 9/24/2014I had a 7:30 reservation and we were seated promptly in a less desirable spot with no view. With me were a girlfriend and her son (17) who seriously aspires to become a chef so he was very observant. I was struck that the menu is both shorter and more costly than the Bistro where we have dined often. Service was professional and friendly but very slow. My young guest pointed out that this was not the server's fault but the kitchen's. He ordered a New York steak and it came cold an hour later. The duck and halibut were good. i would not recommend this restaurant and will avoif it in the future partly because the Bistro is so much better , better views and pas tros cher.Special Features:
- Just a great place!FrequentDiner23Dined on 9/23/2014As ever, Sutro's had great food, fantastic service, a wonderful ambiance, and made for a very special evening for me to have dinner with a long-time friend. Certainly with all the possibilities in San Francisco, this really needs to remain as a special place to lots of people. While dinner was certain a bit pricy, it wasn't outlandish and the quality of the food met the cost. (I have certainly been to equally expensive restaurants around the world where I didn't get a good a quality meal!). Definitely, a memorable place.Special Features:
- Historical and beautiful as wellTNMENDined on 9/23/2014Had a great lunch and of course the views, WOW!!!!! Very nice staff and great food. Enjoyed a table with beautiful views of the bay. Would recommend this to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.