Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
377 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (343)special occasion (270)romantic (220)fit for foodies (111)great for lunch (110)great for brunch (75)notable wine list (67)good for groups (60)neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (9)Show More
- Great Except the ScallopsAlexDined on 10/27/2014We love coming here. Starting with the bread and butter with red salt. The wine list is great, good low price options. The soup was very good. The beet salad was very good also. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The pasta was good, a little salty. The scallops...the actual scallops were good. The rice that came with the scallops, was bad, really bad. My mom and I had the scallops. We saw this other lady also had the scallops and was playing with her rice. She did not know what to do with it. The scallops came with this strange pimiento de piquillo foam....the rice was soggy...it had too many peas, and for some strange reason they decided to put shrimp in it. Simplicity please!Special Features:
- Wow, a great end to a great visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We ended our visit to San Francisco with dinner at the Cliff House. Umm, wow, the view, the food and above all the service from the wonderful lady that looked after us..what can I say. Absolutely superb. Thank you for a wonderful experience from two Aussie visitors. We will be encouraging our friends to visit your restaurant.Special Features:
- CeebsDined on 10/27/2014Food was nicely presented, and OK but not great for the high prices.Special Features:
- Wonderful view at sunset!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The food was exotic and delicious. There were beautiful views of the wonderful coastline from the floor to ceiling windows of the restaurant.. The restaurant also has some deep rooted history with San Francisco - so it is a great place to impress visitors. I loved the rack of lamb-very tender with amazing flavors. They showcase wines and beers from California. -Truly great for tourists to California!Special Features:
- ifonlyifonlyDined on 10/25/2014A very special family member was in SF for a medical meeting and I wanted a memorable dinner for her so made our reservation just before sunset. We watched the sun sink into the Pacific, the waves crashing on the rocks, the arrival of nightfall, two ships leaving through the Golden Gate disappear over the western horizon. Plus the food and ambiance were absolutely outstanding. I had a roasted beet salad, the halibut entree, a lemon sorbet dessert, and a couple of glasses of a delightful Pinot Grigio...every bite (and swallow) was wonderful. All in all, a superb evening.Special Features:
- An incredible visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014With great food, exceptional service, and a beautiful view, Cliff House is certainly a place that must be visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Absolutely loved the Cliff House. Will return again and again. Thank you for the wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review from 26 Oct - as wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014This input is regarding my dining experience on 10/26: There was a young female Asian who was a bread server and a bus person who was abrupt and not very pleasant in her demeanor. She was not rude, but she was terse and also was very noisy in removing our plates with her banging the plates and silverware in the diners' ear. In using the silver butler to remove table crumbs she reached across my companions face with her arm (arm pit in his face). This service person could benefit from more intensive customer service training. Also, bar service was excrutiatingly slow. Our second round of drinks arrived close to our departure. We were told there was only one bartender on duty.Special Features:
- Very nice but over pricedBuffaloDined on 10/22/2014Great view. Food was very good but for 4 of us it was $145.00 for lunch. Two of us had water, one ice tea and one coke. Go for a special occasion or if you have money. For us it was a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014As native San Franciscans, this is our family/old time friends favorite place to meet. The food, the service, the view are all wonderful.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencebheadDined on 10/20/2014This place was awesome. The food was excellent and the scenery was to die for.Special Features:
- Decent ExperienceFoodieDC123Dined on 10/19/2014Dined here for our anniversary. The food was decent and the ambiance was fair. We appreciated the view, but the service was less than expected.Special Features:
- Its all about the ViewErgomanVIPDined on 10/19/2014You go to the Cliff house for the view which is as good as it gets...sunsets are terrific! The food was better than expected as was the service. Great place to go is you are visiting SFO or are taking visitors.Special Features:
- The sunset was amazing!MarinDinerDined on 10/19/2014We were there on a beautiful sunny day and had the best table. The view was simply amazing and the sunset was spectacular. The food was good but nothing special.Special Features:
- FantasticluveatsDined on 10/19/2014Love the food...the view is spectacular...couldn't be betterSpecial Features:
- Recommend to old and youngPowermech23Dined on 10/18/2014Great food, service and views. Booking reservation on internet is simple, Fills up quick on Fri and Sat nite so reserve early, Don't forget to order the butterscotch pudding it's a must and to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasiondiner252Dined on 10/18/2014Beautiful view and food that is good if not outstanding. All kinds of people dine here and with good reason. It's lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stellar atmosphere, view, historyouttolunchDined on 10/18/2014Cliff House is a historic gem that offers sweeping, stunning ocean visuals. Restaurant ambience is up-scale, light-filled, sophisticated. Our main courses were variable in quality. Risotto was was the agreed-upon tastiest, but came with an odd reddish/red pepper foam around it - obviously thought to be visually artistic by chef, but I thought it was odd and unnecessary (that from someone who loves to cook and appreciates culinary arts.) The scallops and ravioli were disappointing. Dessert, however, was outstanding (lava cake & butterscotch pot de creme.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulboom21VIPDined on 10/17/2014This is my fourth time enjoying dinner at Sutro's at the Cliff House. The food has always been delicious and beautifully presented. I love taking my visitors here for dinner or just a cocktail, they're very pleased with the experience and want to dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant getawaySJdiningVIPDined on 10/13/2014We ate lunch here on our getaway day. It had a very nice relaxing environment and the food was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceJasonBaca10Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent Scenic View. The restaurant is crowded, and food is good. Must have reservations in order to get seating.Special Features:
- bouillabaisse!TakashiDined on 10/12/2014Awesome bouillabaisse! We had fully enjoyed the perfect food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationCharlieLDined on 10/11/2014This was our 10th anniversary celebration. My wife picked up the place and I am so glad I agreed! The place and the service were just outstanding, with very friendly and knowledgable staff and crew. Definitely coming back again soon.Special Features:
- Will not be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I requested a nice table and mentioned that it was our anniversary in the notes. My girlfriend checked in as I found parking. She was treated quite poorly upon inquiring about our reservation. The manager did not bother to ask or look up the name of our reso until prompted to do so. He told my girlfriend to wait without giving any notice of the status of our table and how long it would be. It took at least 8 minutes before our server even approached our table. No mention of specials or color commentary whatsoever. Food was salty and overcooked and incredibly overpriced. Not once was our anniversary mentioned or anything special done. For the price, I expect MUCH higher quality food and service. Would never go back nor recommend this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Great experience at Sutro's on Saturday night. Food and service top notch. Sunset wasn't bad either! It was a sea food night for our table: halibut, two salmon and scallops. Everyone was swooning over the presentation and taste. Our waiter overheard that it was a birthday event and provided a nice sweet surprise and very sweet of him. We were surprised at spending 3 hours over drinks, starters, mains and dessert - we enjoyed every minute and never felt rushed. Thanks for a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choiceMaRKVIPDined on 10/10/2014We were only in San Francisco for a short visit but we were glad to get a dinner at Sutros while there. Good seafood and pretty beach even though it was dark.Special Features:
- Lovelyf231Dined on 10/8/2014We were able to get a midweek reservation with 3 days notice. The table available was unusually small, but we still had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birds and MoreChrisDined on 10/7/2014Wonderful environment for lunch with bird life all around. Great view of the pacific ocean and the ships going by. A San Francisco gem to show visitors that the city is not all busy and hassle. Parking cane problem and you need to be careful backing up into a curvy street. A parking lot is available on the top of the hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsjonnybrunoDined on 10/6/2014I expected this to be a great view, mediocre over priced food venue. I was very happy to find that all of the food was great, and our service was even better. I sampled 4 entrees from all members of my party, and 2 appetizers. Everything was excellent, and the service was very professional. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Iconic Sanfranciscoverynice2u2allDined on 10/6/2014This restaurant is built in the cliffs @ Los lobos Pt. SF,CA.. so beautiful!! I hadn't been here in years.. and I wanted to bring my new found younger cousin who was visiting the area to this iconic landmark.. very good food the open faced lamb sandwich and the truffle parmesan frets were just delicious my red trout fish sandwich was soo fresh yum!!! we had a yummy time and after lunch we walked around and took pictures of the beautiful cliffs and beach! It's a lil' pricey but it's well worth it.. Oh and i'm a big History buff the building is over 100 yrs. old…..Special Features:
- Pacific OceanGrandmaMarthaDined on 10/6/2014Even on the foggy day we were at Cliff House Restaurant it is comforting to have the ocean by its side and as the fog began to lift it's wonderful to see the GG Bridge, Marin Headlands and the ocean waves and birds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Lunch for ThreewineluvrDined on 10/6/2014I had been to brunch at Cliff House in the past, but this was the first time for lunch. The three of us who usually get together near Christmas decided to go earlier this year and two of our number suggested Cliff House. Fortunately open on a Monday and providing the window table as requested, Sutro's did not disappoint. Our waiter was super, as was the food. Our ocean view was slightly muted by fog, but beautiful, and the room was so quiet (there were other diners) that we had a great conversation and didn't feel rushed. Somewhat pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crashing wavesMarigold1Dined on 10/5/2014We were new to the city and our cab driver couldn't find a cliff House! It was a long drive in the dark with me navigating from the rear car seat with a torch! It would have been so much better to see the view in daylight. But the setting and ambiance were wonderful and it really is an iconic building. The foods was fabulous and the whole experience is beautiful and atmospheric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for couplesRanchoDined on 10/5/2014The menu options were limited but the selection was good. It was romantic, but of course pricey because you get the view of the ocean.Special Features:
- Lots of moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was a very expensive restaurant for a restaurant with average food. The view is lovely but not for $60 a person with no alcohol
- Can't go wrongBradsterDined on 10/4/2014We come back here each year to celebrate our anniversary and it never disappoints. The wait staff are very attentive and have small conversations with each table. We have recognized the same wait staff over the last 3 years which is a great sign. They view is spectacular in any weather. I do not eat seafood and the non seafood options are always phenomenal. I also like that they offer Moet and Chandon my the glass and have a large selection of half bottles which allow you try a out a wine with each course. I recommend Sutro's for anyone wanting a relaxing top quality meal with a spectacular view. Great for locals and out of towners alike.Special Features:
- Oct 3 dinnerDragonPenDined on 10/3/2014Pricey but worth it, especially on a clear day with a table view out over the ocean. Sunsets are awesome.Special Features:
- Table by the windowCubsfanfromIdahoDined on 10/3/2014If you are looking to have a view od the sun setting beyond the ocean, this is the place for you. The food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestGeorgeSDined on 10/2/2014great food, service, and an unbelievable view. Get there at sunset for the best experience, but even with out the view, the food and service make the experience wonderful.Special Features:
- Color faded awayworldtravellerDined on 10/2/2014I was very disappointed about the kitchen at all. All five dishes I had were of low taste. I missed flavors, interesting tastes. Sorbet was not half-frozen, what it should be, it was fully frozen, hard and hardly to eat, with just one spoon. Not even an additional fork was offered. The Sangria tasted like water and not like orange juice and red wine. I don't know where all the good reviews are from, should be elder one's. In the end I paid more than 200 $ and it wasn't worth it. Best of the restaurant are the stunning views outside.Special Features: