Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
390 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (355)special occasion (272)romantic (222)great for lunch (119)fit for foodies (113)great for brunch (83)notable wine list (60)good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (55)kid-friendly (32)hot spot (31)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful dinner this past Saturday at Sutro's. It was a great overall experience. The food was excellent and the service was also at a very high level. We can't wait to make a return trip.Special Features:
- a view that goes on foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Can't beat looking out over the ocean during dinner. Very good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Great food and service as always! The view is always great. I didn't see the whales this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieQDined on 9/10/2014Excellent dining experience in a wonderful setting in a great citySpecial Features:
- Business Dinner - Disappointedtripel7manDined on 9/8/2014I had read a lot about this restaurant and wanted to have a business dinner with some important clients during a recent international conference. I was very disappointed at the limited menu and wine list. The furniture did not correspond to a supposedly 5 star restaurant with matching prices. The food was good, nothing special, but tasty. The best part was the view, which is the reason I made decided to try this place, and it’s really the only part that is truly worth the long drive from the center of the city. By the way, we waited a long 45 minutes for a taxi to take us back to the city center, as there is limited service in the area, so keep that in mind if you are not driving your own vehicle. I do not plan on returning.Special Features:
- Excellent views and foodteppanyakifanDined on 9/8/2014The views are spectacular, the food excellent and the service impeccable. The only problem is that it is incredibly expensive for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful View!pislasDined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great bread and a beautiful location . Could not ask for anything more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, an excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014This is a "must" experience for all visitors (and residents) of SF.Special Features:
- Seaside SerenadeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014The Cliff House is one of the, if not THE, best-positioned restaurants on California's Pacific Oceanside. A must before you die, even if you're young.Special Features:
- Great viewkimbercatDined on 9/6/2014We went to this Pacific Ocean overlook for the view, but the food was excellent. Mussels as an appetizer in a rich tomato broth, grilled peach salad to die for, duck was excellent. Waiter was attentive and kind; not disruptive.Special Features:
- disappointingBirthdayBoyDined on 9/5/2014The views from this restaurant are spectacular and is one of the reasons to come to the cliff house. From a service perspective, I found the waiter to be prompt and attentive. However the one thing he did not do is come by and ask if our meal was OK which I find important, hence my rating. Particularly in this case as the meals are quite expensive so I expect them to be top notch. I was not feeling like sea food this day so I chose the chicken entre for lunch. The flavor was good but the chicken was very dry and in some spots on the skin was actually burnt... My grilled peach salad however was great! If I come to the cliff house again I would go to the Bistro, same views but less expensive.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014We absolutely fell in love with this restaurant! We started off our night with walking around the cliff house, snapping pics and enjoying the fantastic view. We made reservations and were seated immediately. We had a window seat over looking the cliff which was beautiful. I ordered the smoked salmon flat bread stArter this was hands down the most delicious plate of food I have ever ate. Great restaurant! If I am back in San Fran this would be a must on my to do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous lunch spotSigonaDined on 9/3/2014We met our son here for his 21st birthday and we all had a lovely time. The waiter was kind, timely, and experienced. He was quite handsome too ;) The drinks were great, the food was great, and the desserts were delicious. Everything was perfect including the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryNeekVIPDined on 9/2/2014We were married at the Cliff House and enjoyed a marvelous anniversary dinner at Sutro's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunset heavenfoodlover2014Dined on 9/2/2014whenever you want dinner or appetizers be sure to come to this san Francisco treat of a hidaway. the views of the ocean are spectacular and the vies of the sunset during dinner are priceless. I highly recommend the oysters on the half shell and the mai taiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014very nice restaurant and romantic, just make sure you have reserved your cap before you leave restaurant otherwise have to wait 30 min or so for rid if don't drive your own car! I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco iconBobmDined on 9/1/2014For our 35th we went to the cliff house. Most amazing view ever. We had a reservation but we asked for a table right by the window. They lost us for a while but once they were aware of it, gave us a great table with a great view. Definitely worth the wait. I would say a special occasion menu, but it will be memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLandBDined on 8/31/2014We dined at Sutro's for our first wedding anniversary. We waited a few minutes longer for our table, as the hostess wanted to make sure we were seated at a window. The service was fantastic, and the food was delicious and beautifully presented too. We had chosen to share two appetizers, and they even went to the trouble of plating these separately for us. Overall a fabulous evening and dinner. Will definitely recommend and return ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit.happycustomer1975Dined on 8/31/2014The food was incredible, the wine was perfect and the service was as good as you can get. Next time I'm in S.F., I'll visit the Cliff House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetsustravellerDined on 8/31/2014Great views and sunset on the Pacific, very good food and exceptional serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grandson's birthdayF237Dined on 8/31/2014Waitress is non committal. Slow service. No water until we asked for.Special Features:
- The fish was fantastic!sanfranajjDined on 8/31/2014The fish and service were marvelous! The limited menu needs review. The choice for iced tea is laughable. ( It should only be orange pekoe or black.) All else is top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good views, poor foodlinsyVIPDined on 8/31/2014The views are very nice, and that's about all this place has to offer. The food was terrible, poor quality, bland and poor execution. Service was ok, but I wouldn't come back just based on the food being bad. The worse part is the we chose the house recommended entrees. The cod and the scallops...both were really rubbery, fishy and bland. Not what I was expecting considering the prices charged or from the look of the place.Special Features:
- Good food and stunning viewsWilsonAUSVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had a fantastic meal that was beautifully presented. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The location is hard to beat with the sun setting on a clear day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best view in San Francisco!!mimi56augustaDined on 8/29/2014We had been told about Sutro's by several of the locals, as the best place in San Francisco, for a terrific view. I must say Sutro's did not let us down. Our reservations were for 7:00 p.m. so we were able to see the sun setting in it's different phases. Snapped many beautiful photos that look like postcards even from amateur photographers! The food is great, not a wide selection, but sufficient, the service is fabulous and of course, the most important thing is that this is a MUST on your list if visiting San Francisco. It was heavenly in all ways. We hope to come back many times.Special Features:
- PaulOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/24/2014Amazing experience with excellent food and service. The waiter was kind and could have been more caring of our needs and he was in love with the food. The view of they bay at sun set was spectacular . One of the most complete dining experienced we have ever had .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below AverageKarenVIPDined on 8/24/2014We went on a Sunday. We were a party of three, two arrived first and we wouldn't be seated until the third arrived. This is really irritating especially if you've booked a table. We were directed to sit at a bar table until the whole party arrived. We ordered a drink and when our table was ready we had to close out the bar tab. Why can't it be transfered and put on our food bill? The brunch menu is limited. Service was slow, long wait between drink order, food order etc. Overall a weird vibe, like tired of serving people, tired of tourists, don't really care.Special Features:
- Great ViewDineWithWineDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed a tasty lunch with great views and reasonably priced wine. Service started off great but fell off as the meal progressed.Special Features:
- Birthday LuncheonMaggieDined on 8/23/2014WE took our son here for lunch. The setting is lovely, views outstanding, service fine and food just ok. I would probably go again but with lower expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The dinner was superb both me and my lady could not stop commenting on how good it was. We were there at night so I can't comment on the scenery. Worth it just for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coloradoseafoodlovercoloradoseafoodloverDined on 8/22/2014absolutely everything it was built up to be ... the view was spectacular.... dolphins, seals, great sunset .... go just before sunset you wont regret it .... food was amazing everything was super fresh ... and try the lemon soufflé ... awesome .....would recommend it to everyone I know without hesitation ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dallasdesignerDined on 8/22/2014You do not want to miss this place. The view is incredible!!!Special Features:
- Fabulous viewKarendkn1Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent find fantastic scenery fabulous food friendly staff highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pacific View - Average foodBB13VIPDined on 8/19/2014Three of us dining. One with a very good meal, other two only average. Expensive in general. Ocean views were breathtaking. Service was very good. Scenic experience, would not return for food.Special Features:
- Service was good,food mediocre.LandDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Service was good but slow. It was fairly quiet. The food was a little ordinary in flavor and servings were small, although beautifully presented. Rather pricey for the serving size.Special Features:
- Great food with a viewniteoutDined on 8/14/2014Sutro's continues to provide excellent meals, using fresh ingredients, presented with flair. It's a great restaurant anytime you're out near Ocean Beach or Golden Gate Park.Special Features:
- A Local TreaureMillvalleyfoodieDined on 8/13/2014We took out of town guests to Sutro's at The Cliff House straight from AT&T Park to complete a fabulous day in San Francisco. The host sat us early at the best table, due to a large party arriving later. The food and the views were outstanding. Some dishes we enjoyed were generous and properly cooked lamb chops, flavorful Atlantic salmon, tender roast duck plus a shared heirloom tomato salad and the always delicious chocolate lava cake. Sutro's and The Cliff House are not just for tourists. The food is sophisticated and well-prepared and the staff is lovely. Our server Richard was excellent--friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Sutro'scscsDined on 8/12/2014A great view, especially if you have guests new to the west coast or San Francisco. Food not as good as a couple of years ago. Surprised that there was only one oyster variety. Wine list was nice with modest choices available. Martini was excellent. The food is a bit dated, would have been exciting about ten years ago. Decently prepared, but not ideal. My salmon was a bit overdone. Service was friendly and appropriate, but at times slow (we waited a long time to order dessert). But, you can't beat that view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningjustusDined on 8/12/2014It is nice to find a place that serves great food, has attentive yet unobtrusive waiters, and is quiet enough to have conversations without having to shout.Special Features:
- The most mediocre mealTraveldiscovereatDined on 8/11/2014While on vacation in San Francisco we decided to give Sutro's a try. The reviews I read before making a reservation suggested the view was better than the food, but it was worth it. We ate a late dinner so we were not able to enjoy the view, but our hotel is nearby and this is a yearly trip to SF for us so missing the view was not a big issue. The menu looked to be great and was small, usually indicating the food is good as the chef has only select items to prepare. The food we received was cold-warm and bland. The price for the food we received was outrageous. We do not mind an expensive or higher priced restaurant...but the food needs to meet the standards of the cost. It seems as if Sutro's attempted "upscale" and then stopped trying.Special Features: