504 North Wells St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
South AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sushisamba.com/
- Phone: 3125952300x
- Hours of Operation:
We are currently closed due to renovations.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: South American, Japanese, Brazilian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from SUSHISAMBA Chicago
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SUSHISAMBA Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (25)romantic (18)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Downward SpiralGreenHillsBoyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Seven years ago, SushiSamba was a hot place with interesting food and good service. It is no longer close to what it was. Our experience was poor from the start. We were originally seated toward the back area which has street lights type lighting that blinds you...this is totally inexcusable as the rest of the restaurant, while worn, is still OK. We had what appeared to be a very good waiter, but he disappeared at long periods of time, we finally had a manager bring us our wine after a long wait....apparently they could not find the bottle we ordered and did finally substitute a very good one. Food was brought for each of the four at various times and it was OK but grossly over priced for the quantity. Had to beg for check.
- Best Sushi and Fun drinks!!bridgetteLDined on 8/25/2014The food here is amazing! I have never had anything that wasn't incredible. The seviches and rolls are so good. The drinks are fun and tasty and the service is always great. It's the first place I want to go whenever I'm in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014This was excellent - It was my friend's Bachelorette and we felt like we were treated really well for the occasion. the GM even brought out some surprise drinks for us (that were complementary), which was a really special touch (THANK YOU!). The food was amazing. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious!SpringDined on 8/22/2014We couldn't stop eating! Incredible menu! The Peruvian corn was an extra good treat! I can't stop thinking about it! We loved every food item we tried! Our waitress was so helpful in helping us with our menu choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Interesting combination of Peruvian, Brazilian and Japanese fusion. Tapas makes it great for groups of four or more but the two of us had a delightful time all the same. I would go back :-)Special Features:
- A Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I had a great time and a wonderful experience with different ethnic food. The chefs showed their love for the craft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a face liftFoodyDined on 8/10/2014This food is great but the ambiance is adversely impacted by the looks of the locale which is tatty and unkempt. Looks like they haven't invested in new upholstery in many years. Needs a face lift.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive!SuzyMoonDined on 8/9/2014From the valet to our server, to the Executive Chef who was in from NY, the service was extraordinary. The chef designed our meal and provided an array of tasty small plate options. The room is as beautiful as it appears in the photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time has passedSharonVIPDined on 8/3/2014I visited Sushi Samba Chicago about 5 years ago. While the menu has stayed the same, the look of the restaurant has faded. It can use a refresh in order to stay current. The service was very friendly on a Sunday night, but as it was not too busy, the staff had time to be attentive. The food was good, but not great - I've definately had better sushi at Nobu and Japanais restaurants. As a frequest visitor to many restaurants, I wouldn't go back.
- Sadly slippingRegularDudeDined on 8/2/2014Some restaurants run the course....sadly Sushisamba is on this slippery slope.
- table42VIPDined on 8/2/2014Always love going to Sushi Samba, the sushi is top grade and the other dishes are innovative and fun. Loved the crispy oysters - so earthy and briney - tasted like they just came out of the ocean. Nice wine list.
- Excellent ExperienceFoodloveDined on 8/1/2014This was a true dining experience for our trip to Chicago. Our server was very nice and knowledgable about the food and wine menu. She have us some excellent food suggestions. The presentation of food was as beautiful as it was delicious. A nice, clean and trendy environment. We definitely recommend giving it a try! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy food overratedunhappycamperDined on 8/1/2014too pricy when compared to the food got in return...
- surpassing the expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday despite some bad reviews that I came across. The staff, the service, the mood of the restaurant and the fact that everyone did all they could to make this a great dinner just goes to show that although reviews can be helpful they are never always right. Im glad I decided to dine at here. The food and the drinks were outstanding and we were not disappointed in any way. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Sushi Samba is the restaurant my girlfriend and I had part of our first date. As a result we have tried to return for dates when we are in town. Our last visit was awful from the beginning. Due to traffic we ran late for our reservation, which we called ahead to notify the host. We arrived 10 minutes late and as a result had no table available. The server forgot to bring us every piece from dinner to menus and we spent a majority of time asking food runners and anyone else that was within range for assistance. We were never approached by the manager on staff that night and had to ask for our check before we finished our drink or rolls. We are disappointed that we no longer have a place to return to during our future chicago visits.
- Ok SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Appetizers, small plates were flavorful and great presentation. Specialty sushi rolls were ok. Expected better for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!AnnaDined on 7/13/2014Can't wait to go back. Loved the creative menu, and there were so many choices. Also, despite the fact it is a rather nice restaurant, the families who were dressed more "casually" on a Sunday night (including us -- we made a last minute reservation after a long walk) were treated well. But overall this is a great date night restaurant with a lively bar scene and good music.
- Go for the specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The food can be pricey, so I would recommend going with the specials. Otherwise you'll shell out a lot of money for an extremely small meal. Overall, the restaurant is very nice for special occasions, but drinks are expensive.Special Features:
- Always tastyellfa1Dined on 7/9/2014I don't how anyone could not like Sushi Samba. There is an incredible ambience, resturant design, impeccable service, and most importantly, great food. Don't let the title fool you as there is plenty eat for land lubbers. You can't go wrong with the rock shrimp, baked clams, or wagyu gyozo for starters. Everything in the middle is also unique, but if you need help, ask and you will get a ton of reccommendations. When you get to desert, I suggest the cheesecake for its presentation. The taste is also amazing. Management always stops by and ensures a high-quality experience. Lastly, we've come in with a baby and surprisingly SS has been extremely accomodating. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Stellar Sushi!!Foodie4LifeDined on 7/8/2014Stopped for a few rolls after a show and grabbed a seat outside. Having been to Sushi Samba in NY and Las Vegas my expectations were high. They actually had my favorite roll the El Topo and it was as good as I remembered. Service was a stand out thanks to Karime and Michael who had taken care of us in Las Vegas over a year ago. Will be back any time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Ok!SushiLuvrDined on 7/7/2014The food was great. It was only one waitress. Over priced. Expect a better selection of sushi rolls.Special Features:
- overpriced for the qualitywantmymoneysworthDined on 6/26/2014Sushi Samba was a disappointment. The very high prices for tiny portions and average size cocktails mean I will never return to this restaurant. The food was simply not good enough for the price. Tiny little appetizer tacos were nothing special and the Samba Roll, a signature item was no more interesting than a good roll at any decent Sushi restaurant. Service was also erratic
- bonesetDined on 6/21/2014we had party of seven and everyone raved about the food.However, our service was terrible. We let our server do the deciding of meals for us, and she did make good choices. The major problem was that at one time we sat with no food for over forty fife minutes. Then the table was completely cleared off, including all dishes and utensils. Our bill came and then finally two large plates of sushi arrived. They then had to reset the entire table. Rather ackward at best. We have eaten at Sushi Samba in Vegas and have always had. great food and service. Chicago's S S misses the target.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Place definitely needs a face lift but sushi was great special lobster roll was one of the best rolls I have had. Our server Dan helped us make great choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special night out!Stepheva74Dined on 6/15/2014We took our daughter and her friend out for dinner to celebrate her sweet 16! Found this place on the Choose Chicago website while searching for gluten-free sushi places. The staff made her feel very special, took great care to make sure she had a great gluten-free meal and even brought her a nice dessert on the house with a candle! While the portions were a bit on the small side, all of our food was delicious and the plating spectacular! They happened to be out of a particular palette-cleanser that was meant to go with my husband's meal, so to make up for it they brought a different one, not just for my husband but for all of us. Thanks to Adam and his team for an awesome experience and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Havent been to SUSHISAMBA in a long time. That is going to change after this visit. Sushi was good super fresh some of the items we had from the hot kitchen could have been better . The manager Adam was so helpful and personally (or so he told us) remade one dish that we didn't like and it was perfect the second time. This is our new favorite place we will be coming back with freinds very soon.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerMsgoodyDined on 6/13/2014We had a lovely time. The sushi rolls were really good as well as the appetizers. We come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Love everything! Service, food and ambience, good energy!Special Features:
- Expectations not metOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014I'd been to sushi Samba years previous and had an amazing time but I'm not sure what changed that changed the quality. We waited a while for just water. When we ordered they brought us the wrong food. The coffee was temped not even hot and the fusion of the flavors was not as good. The place is very pretty and so I'm sure it has a great bar seen but for dinner I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Good food - service poorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014The food was outstanding - had reservation was seated late still - waited at the sushi bar because the regular bar was rented out - asked to put a drink order in - never got served - sat at our table for 10 minutes before we were waited on - the beer was warm once we finally got it - the waitress and manager pretty much ignored us - we saw the bus boy more often than them
- Good Food, Not So Good Servicecb6387Dined on 5/31/2014I came here with a group of 10 for my birthday at 7 on a Saturday. I realize that this is probably the busiest time of the week for the restaurant, however, I do not think that justifies poor service. The service was very slow, often taking 15-20 minutes to get drinks. The wait for food was even longer, and the food all came out at different times. The servers never apologized for bringing things out at different times. At one point, a server brought us something that we did not order. We told him this, and his response was "I'm really busy", and he proceeded to just leave it at our table. We were then charged twice for it, despite never having ordered it. When we got the bill, it was completely wrong, and we were way overcharged. Not good.Special Features:
- Fresh delicious and pretty foodSTorontoONVIPDined on 5/29/2014Plates are colourful, a delight to look at and taste wonderful. Great for gathering with friends as the atmosphere is casual and lively.Special Features:
- DissapointedMk15VIPDined on 5/25/2014The service at this restaurant was the worst service I've ever experienced. Not only was it slow, it was accompanied by an indifferent attitude despite our obvious displeasure. After a complaint to the manager, we were given a free appetizer and 25% discount, which didn't even scratch the surface of making the situation right. For the rest of the evening, the attitude of our server never changed. Dishes were forgotten, water glasses went unfilled. The most frustrating part of the experience was that I've been to sushi samba is Vegas several times and had talked it up to my group. It was embarrassing to be the one who picked this place based on that. I'd save Sushi Samba for Vegas and go somewhere else in Chicago.
- 1st time at Sushi SambaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1039 reviews are from the SUSHISAMBA Chicago reviews archive.
- it was just okMama42Dined on 5/21/2014I went with a group of friends, service was mediocre at best. The menu had a couple of great tasting items like the Tuna Tataki. Unfortunately, everything else was just ok. There are better places in Chicago for a lot less.Special Features:
- HorribleMItchVIPDined on 5/18/2014Food was disappointing, service was slow and started with much attitude. I was embarassed as I raved about it to burgers who I was with.
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The sushi was ok but the yellow fin tuna tacos were awesome! Great music & obeisance!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking serviceOla15Dined on 4/12/2014We frequently visit sushi samba in Vegas, but Chicago is not a match for the other location. Mainly the service was lacking- first we were seated well after our reserved time, secondly our birthday girl was not honored in any way although her name and occasion were given upon entering the venue. The food is good but not exquisite therefore I feel it is way overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceDaenerDined on 4/5/2014From the food to the ambiance to the service, this was a great dining experience. Can't say enough about the Neo Tokyo roll and the freshness of the sashimi. The deconsructed cheesecake dessert was beautiful, fun and delicious! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerMaddieDined on 4/5/2014We had a nice time here, waitress was very friendly and helped explain the somewhat confusing menu. The ambience was fantastic, it has a really neat layout, cool lighting, etc... Would be great for a big group of girls looking to grab sushi. The food was pretty good, definitely have had better and definitely have had worse but I would definitely return to Sushi Samba, especially for their sea bass skewers and fried oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.