Sushi Zushi - Downtown
203 South Saint Mary's
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sushi Zushi - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushizushi.com/
- Phone: 2104722900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 12:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sergio Moreno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Yes
- Private Party Contact: Tomomi Glowski 2104925100
A word from Sushi Zushi - Downtown
Sushi Zushi's "Joy of Sushi" philosophy is focused on guiding guests to discover traditional and unique Japanese cuisine. Through remarkably attentive service in an unintimidating environment, your taste buds are locked in for and exciting culinary journey. The menu features a stimulating blend of high-quality, traditional and Avant-garde Japanese cuisine combined with American hospitality in a casual, yet sophisticated and contemporary bistro setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Zushi - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance2.4Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- UnderwhelmingNewtoSanAntonioDined on 8/1/2014Small, atmosphere yields no excitement. Waitress knowledgable and helpful. Sushi ok, nothing special.
- Good food not so much ambiance.IlikeatmosphereVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great food no ambiance server very nice.. Would go for lunch onlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Sushi Zushi - Downtown reviews archive.
- A welcome changedeboskDined on 5/5/2014After a week of Tex mex and Texan food, the sushi here was an extremely welcome change. The food was good and the service excellent.
- The food and service was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014The food and service was excellent! Very authentic. Extensive menus. Huge selection of saki's. Located downtown San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi wasn't badPhenixDined on 3/18/2014Had a roll, which wasn't bad. Service was poor. Wait times were long, and heard the people behind me complaining about the wait times.
- Great Food Great PriceSushFanaticDined on 2/21/2014The food was exceptional. I enjoy trying new food experiences and I was pleasantly surprised. The waitress was pleasant and helpful. I really enjoy authentic cultural food and this place has it.I recommend this place for any one who is thinking of trying sushi for the first time. There bar choices are quite extensive. They actually have my favorite Japanese whiskey so I enjoyed the experience greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check time before SushiChillDined on 2/16/2014downtown location is decent with great service but location in Northeast San Antonio was the poorest excuse for Sushi I ever had. Rolls looked like a big blob!Special Features:
- Not great experienceSAFoodsDined on 12/31/2013The restaurant wasn't busy when we arrived. We were seated immediately, but not served immediately. The food took longer than we expected and the service was awful. Our waitress was running around and looked busy. Still, our drinks were filled after we were done eating. We were sharing and weren't offered extra plates or napkins. Then, we asked for the bill and waited for it too. I will visit a different location because the sushi was really good, but I hope for better service.Special Features:
- Convenient but not good foodOutoftownerDined on 12/31/2013Being from an area of the country that has excellent sushi, this spot was a disappointment. The drinks were moderately good, but the food needs improvement to match what I'm accustomed to on a night out. You can expect to get what a chain restaurant serves as I later discovered that Sushi Zushi is a chain of sushi restaurants and not an entrepreneur operated, genuine ethnic restaurant.
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/11/2013Just as good as I remembered! I especially liked the Oaklawn and LIR rolls. They also have excellent and interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- Great sushiSunshineDined on 11/9/2013We enjoyed our visit to Sushi Zushi. Although, we couldn't find it! Someone forgot to turn on their sign. When we finally arrived, approximately 8 minutes late, our table had been given to someone else. However, the manager (?) saw us and assured us he would have a table ready right away, and he did. All in all, we enjoyed our experience and the food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome MenuSamJNVIPDined on 9/30/2013The best thing about this restaurant is the menu... they go beyond the basics of a typical sushi menu. The riceless rolls were the best for me. The drink menu was very creative. I had a Gingertini made with sushi ginger and muddled strawberries that I wish I could've had all night. The happy hour menu (3-7) had a really good selection of drinks and food as well at really good prices. But fyi, this isn't an upscale place. Not saying it's advertised as that either or like it's a bad thing. It's just more of a place you'd go to in casual wear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, very friendly,RebeccaAnn22Dined on 9/20/2013Great service, very friendly, clean, and the sushi is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slowest service ever!!WorldwideEaterVIPDined on 7/22/2013While I appreciate "lingering" at dinner, really, not so much while WAITING for food. Despite what appeared to be sufficient sushi chef's, after we waited 10 minutes to get water, it took 20 minutes to get edamame and an ahi tower, and another 30 minutes after that to get rolls. With an 8:15p reservation, finishing up dinner at 10:30 was a shock, and even more so, watching the poor guy who was solo at the table adjacent (arrived 9:00pm'ish) wait for 30 minutes from the time he ordered to the time he got anything that resembled food. Food was good once received, but the length of time it took was intolerable. Won't be back.
- Overall GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013The food was pretty good, but the employees were sitting around on their phones and eating McDonalds while customers were waiting for service or to be sitted. I understand employees have to eat, maybe they should rotate when people have their lunch break.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/27/2013Really enjoyed this restaurant. Tried a few types of their sushi rolls and they were all excellent. Very fresh. The drink menu is also great! Simple and inventive drinks. Overall, an excellent experience!
- Great Service and great food.SymbaVIPDined on 3/25/2013Great Service and great food. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- We ordered the tempura udonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013We ordered the tempura udon for my 7 and 3 year old to share. But when the dish came, I was surprised the portion of it. It can not even fill up my 3 year old. The tempura was not crunchy as it supposed to be, and the noodle looked like leftover portion. So, we are not impressed about the food, but staff there are very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- The sushi here was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/11/2013The sushi here was excellent, but we felt the service was far too slow and the atmosphere was too noisy.
- Restaurant packed, table wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/5/2012Restaurant packed, table was not ready as reserved, service below poor, waited for every single glass of wine Very noisy Manager was very politeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Sushi Spotalaskak8VIPDined on 12/5/2012Fantastic sushi. Perfect gyoza. Tuna tar tar to die for. The wasabi, black and orange tobikos amazing with the tartar. The habanero masago fantastic addition to the tar tar. The drinks? The blackberry crush the perfect complement to the food. The yummy, yummy roll? Yummy, yummy. And the service--the best. Will return as often as I can.Special Features:
- Great sushi in San AntonioSeasonsVIPDined on 10/26/2012Quaint little restaurant in San Antonio. Sushi Rolls were very good. Restarant is not very big. Suggest making a reservationSpecial Features:
- Staff knowledgeable aboutFoodieDined on 10/9/2012Staff knowledgeable about various sakes. Tried an unfiltered one that I would not have tried if the waitress didn't suggest and explain what it was. Presentation of the rolls was excellent. Combinations were tasty and not run-of-the-mill. Found the restaurant by accident, but would go back if I were to visit San Antonio again.Special Features:
- The staff obviousky enjoysbrontochatVIPDined on 9/13/2012The staff obviousky enjoys working there and their good mood influences the atmosphere in the restaurant. Our server was a sake fan and gave us good suggestions. Their rolls are creative, some influenced by cajun cuisine. Would definitly recommend.Special Features:
- Always good!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2012Always a good selection. Been closed for a bit, but hear it's going to repopen - I sure hope so!!
- Looking forward to our next visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/25/2012Great sushi and great service - thank you Daniel!!Special Features:
- Our waiter, Daniel, was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/22/2012Our waiter, Daniel, was great. Took good care of us and found us a great table. The food here is always fantastic! Also a great selection of saki and cocktails. Love this place!Special Features:
- The food was fantastic! SoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2012The food was fantastic! So good in fact that we've gone back everyday that we've been in town. I would highly recommend the strawberry roll!Special Features:
- Sushi noviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012This was my first time ever eating actual sushi that was not at a buffet, I am VERY impressed. Spicy Edamame is excellent, I truly believe I could eat that everyday. Wait staff is amaznigly helpful and courteous. I would absolutely, with no reservation, suggest Sushi Zushi to anybody.Special Features:
- Sushi in San Antonio??? As expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/7/2012Our server Anthony was excellent but our bar order seemed to be constantly held up. The food for the most part was good although I ordered the dinner Chirashi and they had some kind of seared fish, I think it was tuna on it and it was awful. I have never had a seared peice of anything in Chirashi so I was surprised. The rest of the sushi was very good, and my true measurement of freshness is Uni, theirs was perfect! I'll give it another shot next time I'm there.Special Features:
- Patty from KentuckyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2012It was so good I ate there two nights in a row-- and Rhonda was my server! She remembered my name the second night and could not have done a better job!
- Decent food. Sat at the barTonyVIPDined on 1/24/2012Decent food. Sat at the bar and had good service. They have a large roll selection though many have "mayo" or "escolar" or fried ingredients....all things I would prefer to avoid at a good suhi place. The cream (style) sake served with a shot glass and a cedar box was really good. Overall, not bad
- WOW!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2012had a great dining experience, The wife and I are sushi novis to say the least, and Rhonda was a great help. We couldn't of asked for more, would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/20/2011Our waitress, True, was amazing. Best service I've had in a long time. The food was also great. Sashimi was fresh and the curry was perfect.Special Features:
- not the best sushi in theRosieVIPDined on 12/6/2011not the best sushi in the world but I would say that they serve consistently good food in case you need a sushi or Japanese style cuisine fix.Special Features:
- Very good sushi! Smaller insideOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2011Very good sushi! Smaller inside than I imagined though...Menu is quite extensive.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2011The tower was great. Also the escalar very spicy but I love that Loved it so much we are going again tonightSpecial Features:
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2011Everything was great except for fried sushi rolls.Special Features:
- A more casual sushi restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2011A more casual sushi restaurant then I am use too, our party dressed up a little too much for the atmosphere. The sushi was incredible, I must say!! Very helpful and knowledgeable service! Our waitress was fantastic!! I will definitely recommend eating here!Special Features:
- I cant say anything negativeBonnieBVIPDined on 4/22/2011I cant say anything negative about the restaurant or the food, yet it also didnt wow me at all.