251 W. 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushiyasaka.com/
- Phone: 2124968460
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Mitch N. Shinohara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Takeout
- Catering: Sushi Yasaka would be happy to cater your next corporate affair.
A word from Sushi Yasaka
We serve high quality and tasty delicacies made with organic ingredients. To satisfy our customer’s taste buds, we look for the best raw ingredients tirelessly from local farmers. We serve various kinds of fish. They are all carefully chosen from the fish market each morning. All fish are sliced in traditional style that preserves the original flavor and texture. Our executive chef, Mr. MITCH N. SHINOHARA, who is also a Japanese culinary instructor specialist, prepares every dish. From choosing the rice and seaweed to the decoration of plate, each dish is the demonstration of our dedications to customers. We strive for the recognition as a customer-oriented restaurant through our delicious food, enthusiastic services and serenading environment. We are looking forward to serving you and hope you will have a wonderful dining experience with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi Yasaka - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sushi Yasaka reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (141)fit for foodies (93)great for lunch (56)hot spot (26)special occasion (21)romantic (19)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- loud, good for friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Would not recommend this place for a date, but was great for a night out with friends. Too loud to be romantic.Special Features:
- Great when in a rush!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Went here about an hour and a half before my train back to D.C and they were quick and got me in and out within 45 minutes. The food was great and the ambience of the restaurant felt very chic. I'll definitely return here for sushi when I'm in New York again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014We had reservations for Saturday night and no wait at all. The grilled shrimp and avacado salad with wasabi dressing was delicious - wish I could have brought that dressing home. We ordered three different sushi rolls and the Omakase which was excellent. Service was attentive but not bothersome. Definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi lunch specialricenoodleswineDined on 8/22/2014I've come to sushi Yasaka many times for their lunch special and had been wanting to come back for dinner for quite some time. My boyfriend and I have always tried to walk in for dinner with no luck...we finally got smart and made reservations. We shared a sushi deluxe and 3 extra rolls, a glass of wine each, and left spending under $60! A great deal for an amazing meal. We're sushi lovers and this place was such a great date night spot and we'll be making many more memories during dinner (and lunch) here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once a month is not enough....54thfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant and try to visit every month, at minimum...Special Features:
- cheap is expensivecheapisexpensive22Dined on 8/20/2014After reading about Yasaka, was glad to know there was a sushi bar near to where I lived that appeared to have a good reputation, was I wrong. The sushi was poor, took too long, sushi sat on the serving board , not served piece by piece as it is in all fine sushi bars that serve omakases as we ordered, uni tasted like ammonia, the nori on our ti-maki rolls was like rubber, not crisp as it sat on the trat too long ,not served piece by piece. The worst part was the fish was warm and not fresh. In spending 175.00 for 2 people , a waste of sushi, I should of went to my sushi place(neta/15 east) where I spend more money to get the experience. Cheap is expensive.Special Features:
- CarcarVIPDined on 8/18/2014Omakase was divine and a steal for $45 per person. We sat at the sushi bar and the head chef served the Omakase piece by piece. He explained what's in each piece as he served it. I would definitely come back and recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our saviorYuyoDined on 8/17/2014Last Sunday we did not know what to cook at home, so we decided to go outside for a sushi dinner and we found this little gem. It's a little restaurant and the food is awesome. The personal were overwhelmed by the customers, but I think that's because it was Sunday and really late- our reservation was at 21:00-.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch sushiFoodieFamilyVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had the omakase (chef's choice) sushi and everything was super fresh and delicious. The uni was a standout., and so was the toro and the king salmon. An Upper West Side gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic sushiSnickersDined on 8/15/2014Have been here over a dozen times and have always enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant; poor facilityOllieStilesDined on 8/12/2014Went here for lunch and had the best sushi I have ever had (excepting Jiro in Tokoyo). Returned for dinner two days later and the sushi, while superb, was kind of sloppily put together. The restaurant is almost unbearably tight when crowded. Despite having made reservations, we did have to wait 25 minutes for the worst table in the house. Conclusion: go for the sushi, be prepared for the poor ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi on uwsST13Dined on 8/12/2014hands down the best sushi place on the uws if not ny - everything is fresh, prices are good, nothing is overcomplicated.Special Features:
- DeliciousSethTDined on 8/12/2014The Upper West side has lacked really good Japanese food for a long time, but no more! Definitely worth a trip. Very fresh and high quality sushi and sashimi and excellent dishes like tempura.Special Features:
- Great Sushi.But very noisyJanDVIPDined on 8/11/2014The food is terrific. You must have a reservation as the place is small and crowded. Also very noisy. Good location - between Lincoln Center and the Museum of Natural HistorySpecial Features:
- Great Sushi at a Great PricesushiaholicDined on 8/7/2014Definitely make a reservation if you want to eat here because this place is always packed for dinner - but with good reason! Super fresh at a good price. Will definitely be going here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushiWest74StFoodGuyDined on 8/7/2014Continues to be excellent sushi restaurant now extremely crowded at dinner and sometimes lunch also. Definitely beginning to suffer from its own success. Example: there is now a new second maitre d type guy in the front who is something out of the Japanese mafia. These guy doesn't belong in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- why make a reservation?HipfamilygalDined on 8/3/2014This is my third time there. Food is always good, if you can wait. This time, after an hour wait and an indifferent host, I gave up on waiting for my reservation. There are too many restaurants to wait for that. Went to Momoya for better food and service.Special Features:
- First time experiencing this!Kimchee02VIPDined on 8/3/2014I can't really write a review because I never got to dine in at Sushi Yasaka. I personally like to come to this place. However, yesterday, the restaurant called me an hour before my reservation and left a message that their kitchen lights were not working. I am looking forward to visit Sushi Yasaka sometime soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a go-to spotjodiDined on 8/2/2014The food is good, service is good, I like it there. The staff is always friendly. The prices are really good. Kind of surprised they charge for a tiny dish of ponzu.Special Features:
- Great restaurantharlemfoodieDined on 8/1/2014As always, a neighborhood gem with wonderful sushi and ambience.Special Features:
- Second time hereArthurJacobVIPDined on 7/30/2014If anything, dinner was even better. Excellent sushi and outstanding service.Special Features:
- good sushi and noiseowendavisVIPDined on 7/29/2014Crowded space, low ceilings, good sushi, good neighborhood spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4AbiteDined on 7/28/2014Sushi and Sashimi were excellent and the service was spot on. Soba noodles were a bit overdone and the vegetable tempura was a mixed bag- a great variety of veggies; some pieces done perfectly with a light crispy coating while other pieces were heavy with batter and greasy. Will definitely go back. The sushi was worth it and the service so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiFoodAMDined on 7/27/2014Good food and reasonably price, I would highly recommend the salmon and avo bowl...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, consistent, comfortingWestSideFoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014We are a family of four, so finding a place that is kid-friendly but goes beyond the usual 'safe' children's options is really needed. Sushi Yasaka consistently offers strong food with enough surprises and ingenuity to keep us coming back. The sushi omakase is always a delight. The restaurant itself is not big enough to offer a lot of variety of seating (there is a sushi bar in addition to tables). Would not recommend it for an out-to-impress date, but keep it on the list for those comforting outings with enduring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi on UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Really great sushi - nice staff - good service - highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiJanDVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food is great here and everything is really fresh. It's a pleasure to eat here for lunch when it's less crowded and less noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushiRenaDined on 7/19/2014I am *such* a fan of the sushi here. The fish is incredibly fresh and melts in your mouth. And it's reasonably priced, especially for Manhattan (referring to the lunch special). I had it for lunch yesterday and I've been craving it since. I wanna come back to this place again and again. This place is also pretty good for parties because they have good options for people who are not in the mood for sushi. No, I'm not talking about chicken teriyaki or bento box. Here you have options like the ribeye steak or organic grilled chicken with the lunch specials. Tip: Try the botan shrimp sushi. It is unlike ANY shrimp sushi you've ever tasted before! I usually hate raw shrimp, but this type of shrimp is so soft and smooth.Special Features:
- AmazingAwesomeVIPDined on 7/18/2014Incredible as always. Keeps on getting busier. Spectacular fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the best in the West!54thfoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014Ten wonderful visits in six months...We love this restaurant, very good food, service and prices. I met my wife and this restaurant on the West Side and I love them both.....
- good quality for its priceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/18/2014Surprised with the quality of the food with the pricing level. Lunches were great value
- delicious & very fresh fish!shellbeemsVIPDined on 7/17/2014loved the omakaze at the sushi bar! excellent value, highly recommend!Special Features:
- Avoid the Boston rollOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014The sushi selection was limited and just OK. I got the Boston roll which contained a good amount of crab shell. Overall, don't recommend.
- Awesomew10btshDined on 7/16/2014Their lunch menu is awesome, definitely worth the price! Strongly recommend this place for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSteveVIPDined on 7/15/2014Great sushi and great prices. Everything is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing, as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Absolutely hands down my favourite go to sushi place in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Neighborhood RestaurantDmitryDined on 7/11/2014The is my favorite neighborhood restaurant & it never disappoints. It's amazingly affordable for a high end omakase restaurant.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood sushigradstudenteatsDined on 7/9/2014It is hard to find good sushi at reasonable prices, and I love Sushi Yasaka for this. The Sushi Deluxe is the best deal around, with very 9 pieces of very fresh fish plus a roll for about $20. The rolls are great, so dinner can be just over $10 for 2 fantastic rolls. I've been to so many places around the UWS and Morningside Heights that are moderately priced but the fish tastes old... but Sushi Yasaka is fantastic!Special Features:
- EH!njdevil1VIPDined on 7/9/2014Just good. Went for lunch. Good prices but sushi was just so so. I thought the fish was just too warm and I just do not like sushi at room temperature .
- My favorite sushi restaurantArnie180Dined on 7/5/2014My neighborhood has a restaurant to boast about. Great service, amazing fresh fish, the best seaweed salad. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.