251 W. 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushiyasaka.com/
- Phone: 2124968460
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Mitch N. Shinohara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Takeout
- Catering: Sushi Yasaka would be happy to cater your next corporate affair.
A word from Sushi Yasaka
We serve high quality and tasty delicacies made with organic ingredients. To satisfy our customer’s taste buds, we look for the best raw ingredients tirelessly from local farmers. We serve various kinds of fish. They are all carefully chosen from the fish market each morning. All fish are sliced in traditional style that preserves the original flavor and texture. Our executive chef, Mr. MITCH N. SHINOHARA, who is also a Japanese culinary instructor specialist, prepares every dish. From choosing the rice and seaweed to the decoration of plate, each dish is the demonstration of our dedications to customers. We strive for the recognition as a customer-oriented restaurant through our delicious food, enthusiastic services and serenading environment. We are looking forward to serving you and hope you will have a wonderful dining experience with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi Yasaka - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sushi Yasaka reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (138)fit for foodies (98)great for lunch (51)hot spot (25)good for groups (22)special occasion (21)romantic (21)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- popular for a reasonduckrabbitDined on 10/29/2014If you want "innovative" sushi go elsewhere. If you want proper sushi made with respect come here. But book first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GEMOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/27/2014Ordered sushi omakase. The chef's selection was wonderfully varied, and outstanding quality. We plan to go back regularly for pre-opera dinners. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- LOVE this placeDavidVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place never fails. Best value japanese restaurant in the citySpecial Features:
- Good but great?GioxVIPDined on 10/21/2014So we were so excited to eat here having read the reviews, and seeing that same day reservations were limited due to its popularity, we assumed the food would rock. But being perfectly honest, we felt the best thing about it was it value. Although clearly fresh and well prepared, the food was nothing so out of the ordinary that we would rush to return. Having said that, you can get multiple appetizers, two entrees and a shared large Saki for under sixty dollars and that might better explain why its so busy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/21/2014Excellent as always. Thus far, the best Japanese restaurant I know of.Special Features:
- Dinning room too dark.AandJVIPDined on 10/20/2014For us the dinning room was too dark, so we sat at sushi bar and that was fine, Sushi was fantastic.Special Features:
- Good value for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/20/2014I love to go to Sushi Yasaka for lunch because of their wonderful lunch specials like the chicken teriyaki tray where you get miso soup, salad, 2 shrimp dumplings and a generous portion of chicken with veggies and rice. The price is terrific and the meal is always tasty. Be sure and make a reservation as the place is so popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese on the Upper WestnonicknameVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great quality, great food. Nice people. Fairly priced. What else do you want for dinner?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefHRSVIPDined on 10/13/2014Superb sushi and unusual side dishes in a funky atmosphereSpecial Features:
- one of the best sushi restauranttakosukeDined on 10/13/2014This place, you get what you paid, and best sushi restaurant though other meals are very good too. fishes it uses were so fresh and good. We go with friends, family, birthday or special occasion, etc. etc. etc.Special Features:
- Excellent sushi restaurantdkfcleveDined on 10/12/2014Excellent sushi at this very Upper West Side eatery. Be sure to make reservations at popular dinner hours. A bit noisy for oldsters, but the food, service and quality of sushi is unbeatable.Special Features:
- Very fresh sushi, GREAT valueJackiegVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very happy to find such fresh sushi at such reasonable prices. Not the most creative or the most inventive-but really really good. Food was FRESH. And the value was outstanding. Will definitely come back here when I am in the area. Service was fast as well. Overall very impressed and we are a bit of sushi snobs :) nice work yasaka! Worth the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!BazyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Two friends recommended this restaurant, and we finally went-- it was delicious!Special Features:
- Great value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Food and price and very good. Service is fair. The place was crowded and quite noisy (Wednesday night).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unorganized host, otherwise goodHangryhannahDined on 10/1/2014We made our reservation for 8:30pm and were not seated until 8:55! No apology or ANYTHING from the host or wait staff. Otherwise a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tokyoitefishfightDined on 9/30/2014I grew up in Japan, and it's always annoyed me how expensive Japanese restaurants are in NYC. Back home you can get fresh sashimi and well-executed sushi without costing an arm and a leg. Well Yakasa is just like back home - quality fish, a great variety of sashimi, humble authenticity and affordability. I could come back here every week, for the food and the price point. It's a gem that I'm almost reluctant to share with others!Special Features:
- Very fresh and appealing sushilynnDined on 9/29/2014A plus for taking reservations which were honored on time. (It's bet to make a reservation via Open Table, for the restaurant gets very crowded.) We ordered an extensive assortment of selection of sushi (rolls and individual pieces), hand rolls, some uni, egg, steamed pork dumplings. All very tasty. The sake we ordered was superior to what we've had in other Japanese restaurants. the only problem is that it's also a very noisy restaurant, so anyone looking for a romantic place would be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap Does Not Mean GoodAboveparVIPDined on 9/28/2014Arrived for a 9:00 reservation. At 9:15 it was last call, kitchen was closing. Ordered Omagasi Tasting (Chef's Choice). I was told they were sold out. How could an item with no specific fish or roll be sold out? Ordered a lobster tempura roll, came dry, we were told no rolls had any sauce. My wife ordered chicken tempura, it was spicy? , and grossly over cooked. I can only figure that people come here because it is cheap. We eat sushi several times a month and I have only had a worse experience only once in Tom's River, NJ (not a meca for fine dining). Save your money and go to a real sushi place run by Japanese people. When we expressed our concerns they could care less.
- tip20010Dined on 9/28/2014Found it a bit weird that I couldn't decide my tip rate? On the receive I got, it had already 18% tips included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eleven visits and still nwonderful54thfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Consistently very good food, service and pricing. We enjoy this restaurant at least once a month and consider it one of the best values in Manhattan.....Special Features:
- Always Pleasinghome2cookVIPDined on 9/23/2014We have been to Sushi Yasaka many times and always find the food delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014The service is impeccable, they are attentive and quick. If your a fan of great sushi for great prices, this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh sushi etc.Cather123VIPDined on 9/17/2014This is my go-to place in the neighborhood. The fish outshines all other attempts at sushi on the upper west side. The place is crowded but with good reason, as the prices are very cheap relative to the quality of the food. My friends were upset that they wouldn't seat them until the party was complete (we were early). They forgave them after the food arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Sushi and All-Around MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014This place is a gem. Go, eat and be merry. The sushi and sashimi is fresh, the service is quick and pleasant and the prices can't be beat.Special Features:
- Very good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/14/2014After Gari the best sushi in the UWS. At about half the price, its hard to beat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014The fish is just such high quality here. Don't expect any of the fancy rolls, but just incredible simple rolls showcasing amazing fresh fish. They are always packed, so a reservation is recommended. I really like the Miyabi as it gives you some sushi, some incredible sashimi, and a roll, but my favorite roll has to be the toro scallion (negi toro) which is just perfection.... On a Saturday night it is quite busy - even with a reservation we had to wait 10 minutes, but the service was terrific, we never felt rushed and.... well the food is just SO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ZachDined on 9/10/2014Sushi Yasaka is my favorite sushi place in NYC! Fresh sushi, great prices -- I will come here for sushi every chance I get. It gets crowded, so I'd recommend a reservation, and the service isn't always the friendliest, but I love love love the food!Special Features:
- Always good, reliable & reasonableRayUWSVIPDined on 9/2/2014I've been eating here for years and am always happy with great sushi, a nice selection, and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi places in UWSsushi4meDined on 8/31/2014Highly recommend Sushi Yasaka to those who enjoy fresh seafood. The food came quickly and our wait help was attentive.Special Features:
- loud, good for friendstmateocDined on 8/26/2014Would not recommend this place for a date, but was great for a night out with friends. Too loud to be romantic.Special Features:
- Good sushi option on UWSmicheleDined on 8/25/2014Solid spot on the UWS. Prices were reasonable and selection seemed slightly more authentic than your typical NYC place. I got sea urchin with the sushi regular, which I've never tried before. Would definitely go back if my plans took me there, but my go-to for this area is still Momoya.Special Features:
- A great findfoodie65Dined on 8/24/2014Sushi Yasaka is an excellent Japanese restaurant - high quality sushi at modest prices. Also a great unfiltered saki which added to the enjoyment of the meal. Suggest going early because it gets really busy as the night goes on.Special Features:
- Great when in a rush!KellyDined on 8/24/2014Went here about an hour and a half before my train back to D.C and they were quick and got me in and out within 45 minutes. The food was great and the ambience of the restaurant felt very chic. I'll definitely return here for sushi when I'm in New York again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014We had reservations for Saturday night and no wait at all. The grilled shrimp and avacado salad with wasabi dressing was delicious - wish I could have brought that dressing home. We ordered three different sushi rolls and the Omakase which was excellent. Service was attentive but not bothersome. Definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi lunch specialricenoodleswineDined on 8/22/2014I've come to sushi Yasaka many times for their lunch special and had been wanting to come back for dinner for quite some time. My boyfriend and I have always tried to walk in for dinner with no luck...we finally got smart and made reservations. We shared a sushi deluxe and 3 extra rolls, a glass of wine each, and left spending under $60! A great deal for an amazing meal. We're sushi lovers and this place was such a great date night spot and we'll be making many more memories during dinner (and lunch) here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once a month is not enough....54thfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant and try to visit every month, at minimum...Special Features:
- cheap is expensivecheapisexpensive22Dined on 8/20/2014After reading about Yasaka, was glad to know there was a sushi bar near to where I lived that appeared to have a good reputation, was I wrong. The sushi was poor, took too long, sushi sat on the serving board , not served piece by piece as it is in all fine sushi bars that serve omakases as we ordered, uni tasted like ammonia, the nori on our ti-maki rolls was like rubber, not crisp as it sat on the trat too long ,not served piece by piece. The worst part was the fish was warm and not fresh. In spending 175.00 for 2 people , a waste of sushi, I should of went to my sushi place(neta/15 east) where I spend more money to get the experience. Cheap is expensive.Special Features:
- CarcarVIPDined on 8/18/2014Omakase was divine and a steal for $45 per person. We sat at the sushi bar and the head chef served the Omakase piece by piece. He explained what's in each piece as he served it. I would definitely come back and recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our saviorYuyoDined on 8/17/2014Last Sunday we did not know what to cook at home, so we decided to go outside for a sushi dinner and we found this little gem. It's a little restaurant and the food is awesome. The personal were overwhelmed by the customers, but I think that's because it was Sunday and really late- our reservation was at 21:00-.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch sushiFoodieFamilyVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had the omakase (chef's choice) sushi and everything was super fresh and delicious. The uni was a standout., and so was the toro and the king salmon. An Upper West Side gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.