251 W. 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushiyasaka.com/
- Phone: (212) 496-8460
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Mitch N. Shinohara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Takeout
- Catering: Sushi Yasaka would be happy to cater your next corporate affair.
A word from Sushi Yasaka
We serve high quality and tasty delicacies made with organic ingredients. To satisfy our customer’s taste buds, we look for the best raw ingredients tirelessly from local farmers. We serve various kinds of fish. They are all carefully chosen from the fish market each morning. All fish are sliced in traditional style that preserves the original flavor and texture. Our executive chef, Mr. MITCH N. SHINOHARA, who is also a Japanese culinary instructor specialist, prepares every dish. From choosing the rice and seaweed to the decoration of plate, each dish is the demonstration of our dedications to customers. We strive for the recognition as a customer-oriented restaurant through our delicious food, enthusiastic services and serenading environment. We are looking forward to serving you and hope you will have a wonderful dining experience with us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi Yasaka - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sushi Yasaka reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (136)fit for foodies (104)great for lunch (53)hot spot (25)good for groups (20)romantic (18)special occasion (17)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great spot!LovesaukeDined on 11/12/2014This was the second time that my girlfriend and j ave dined here and it never disappoints. I recommend getting here early f you want tondo the omkase - we always go a little later and have never been able to have the full only the half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi!FoodcraveVIPDined on 11/7/2014Reliable and fresh. But make reservations in advance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Sushi in NYCeMaxVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went here before a show at Beacon Theater, so for that its location was perfect. A Small section of Japanese beers & good selection of Sake. More traditional menu items for sushi and sashimi. Don't expect all the crazy special rolls you find elsewhere. They have spicy tuna, but there is no crunch to be found. Overall the sushi was fresh and flavorful. With enough variety to keep us happy. Ambiance was decent. it is a small place, and was mobbed when we finished our meal.. Service was on point. I would easily return.Special Features:
- ChefHRSVIPDined on 11/7/2014The freshest sushi and sashimi at a fraction of the cost of other more trendy venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap and Delicious!ategenosDined on 11/7/2014Great sushi for a very good price (especially if you go at lunch) - 12 dollars (plus tip, of course) nets you eighteen pieces of maki (three maki rolls, with a wide selection), a miso soup, and a salad... or a variety of other combinations (teriyaki chicken/rice/one maki roll/miso soup/salad is the only other one I specifically remember, but there were many more!). The miso soup was also some of the best I've had (and I'm not even a big fan of it), and the sushi was great - delicious big bits of fish, great rice, and just the right amount of wasabi. Overall, I'd definitely go there again... and again... and again!Special Features:
- Japan in NYCmonogramDined on 11/6/2014Excellent cuisine and affordable, and you can see the chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top quality for 1/2 the priceevianmanDined on 11/1/2014Great little find on the upper west side..quality is exceptional. Sake list is small but prices...you just can't beat them. eat and be merry is my motto....works for me...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable price for food qualityMKCatDined on 10/30/2014This was my second time to visit this restaurant. I was not impressed by this restaurant's food as a Japanese first time about 2 years ago. My friend told me one sushi chef from one of the high end sushi restaurants had started working in this restaurant so I had to try again. I thought sushi quality had got a little better but a sushi piece got a little smaller, which can be labeled as "more sophisticated" (it will fill your stomach less..). Service was the same as first time which is nothing particular to mention.. Overall, I think it is a good deal and if you are around the area, you may want to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- popular for a reasonduckrabbitDined on 10/29/2014If you want "innovative" sushi go elsewhere. If you want proper sushi made with respect come here. But book first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truffleDined on 10/27/2014Pleasant upper west side restaurant with good sushi.Special Features:
- A GEMMR57Dined on 10/27/2014Ordered sushi omakase. The chef's selection was wonderfully varied, and outstanding quality. We plan to go back regularly for pre-opera dinners. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- LOVE this placeDavidVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place never fails. Best value japanese restaurant in the citySpecial Features:
- Good but great?GioxVIPDined on 10/21/2014So we were so excited to eat here having read the reviews, and seeing that same day reservations were limited due to its popularity, we assumed the food would rock. But being perfectly honest, we felt the best thing about it was it value. Although clearly fresh and well prepared, the food was nothing so out of the ordinary that we would rush to return. Having said that, you can get multiple appetizers, two entrees and a shared large Saki for under sixty dollars and that might better explain why its so busy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/21/2014Excellent as always. Thus far, the best Japanese restaurant I know of.Special Features:
- Dinning room too dark.AandJVIPDined on 10/20/2014For us the dinning room was too dark, so we sat at sushi bar and that was fine, Sushi was fantastic.Special Features:
- Good value for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/20/2014I love to go to Sushi Yasaka for lunch because of their wonderful lunch specials like the chicken teriyaki tray where you get miso soup, salad, 2 shrimp dumplings and a generous portion of chicken with veggies and rice. The price is terrific and the meal is always tasty. Be sure and make a reservation as the place is so popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese on the Upper WestnonicknameVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great quality, great food. Nice people. Fairly priced. What else do you want for dinner?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefHRSVIPDined on 10/13/2014Superb sushi and unusual side dishes in a funky atmosphereSpecial Features:
- one of the best sushi restauranttakosukeDined on 10/13/2014This place, you get what you paid, and best sushi restaurant though other meals are very good too. fishes it uses were so fresh and good. We go with friends, family, birthday or special occasion, etc. etc. etc.Special Features:
- Excellent sushi restaurantdkfcleveDined on 10/12/2014Excellent sushi at this very Upper West Side eatery. Be sure to make reservations at popular dinner hours. A bit noisy for oldsters, but the food, service and quality of sushi is unbeatable.Special Features:
- Very fresh sushi, GREAT valueJackiegVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very happy to find such fresh sushi at such reasonable prices. Not the most creative or the most inventive-but really really good. Food was FRESH. And the value was outstanding. Will definitely come back here when I am in the area. Service was fast as well. Overall very impressed and we are a bit of sushi snobs :) nice work yasaka! Worth the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!BazyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Two friends recommended this restaurant, and we finally went-- it was delicious!Special Features:
- Great value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Food and price and very good. Service is fair. The place was crowded and quite noisy (Wednesday night).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unorganized host, otherwise goodHangryhannahDined on 10/1/2014We made our reservation for 8:30pm and were not seated until 8:55! No apology or ANYTHING from the host or wait staff. Otherwise a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tokyoitefishfightDined on 9/30/2014I grew up in Japan, and it's always annoyed me how expensive Japanese restaurants are in NYC. Back home you can get fresh sashimi and well-executed sushi without costing an arm and a leg. Well Yakasa is just like back home - quality fish, a great variety of sashimi, humble authenticity and affordability. I could come back here every week, for the food and the price point. It's a gem that I'm almost reluctant to share with others!Special Features:
- Very fresh and appealing sushilynnDined on 9/29/2014A plus for taking reservations which were honored on time. (It's bet to make a reservation via Open Table, for the restaurant gets very crowded.) We ordered an extensive assortment of selection of sushi (rolls and individual pieces), hand rolls, some uni, egg, steamed pork dumplings. All very tasty. The sake we ordered was superior to what we've had in other Japanese restaurants. the only problem is that it's also a very noisy restaurant, so anyone looking for a romantic place would be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap Does Not Mean GoodAboveparVIPDined on 9/28/2014Arrived for a 9:00 reservation. At 9:15 it was last call, kitchen was closing. Ordered Omagasi Tasting (Chef's Choice). I was told they were sold out. How could an item with no specific fish or roll be sold out? Ordered a lobster tempura roll, came dry, we were told no rolls had any sauce. My wife ordered chicken tempura, it was spicy? , and grossly over cooked. I can only figure that people come here because it is cheap. We eat sushi several times a month and I have only had a worse experience only once in Tom's River, NJ (not a meca for fine dining). Save your money and go to a real sushi place run by Japanese people. When we expressed our concerns they could care less.
- tip20010Dined on 9/28/2014Found it a bit weird that I couldn't decide my tip rate? On the receive I got, it had already 18% tips included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eleven visits and still nwonderful54thfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Consistently very good food, service and pricing. We enjoy this restaurant at least once a month and consider it one of the best values in Manhattan.....Special Features:
- Always Pleasinghome2cookVIPDined on 9/23/2014We have been to Sushi Yasaka many times and always find the food delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014The service is impeccable, they are attentive and quick. If your a fan of great sushi for great prices, this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh sushi etc.Cather123VIPDined on 9/17/2014This is my go-to place in the neighborhood. The fish outshines all other attempts at sushi on the upper west side. The place is crowded but with good reason, as the prices are very cheap relative to the quality of the food. My friends were upset that they wouldn't seat them until the party was complete (we were early). They forgave them after the food arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Sushi and All-Around MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014This place is a gem. Go, eat and be merry. The sushi and sashimi is fresh, the service is quick and pleasant and the prices can't be beat.Special Features:
- Very good valueLovenakasawaVIPDined on 9/14/2014After Gari the best sushi in the UWS. At about half the price, its hard to beat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014The fish is just such high quality here. Don't expect any of the fancy rolls, but just incredible simple rolls showcasing amazing fresh fish. They are always packed, so a reservation is recommended. I really like the Miyabi as it gives you some sushi, some incredible sashimi, and a roll, but my favorite roll has to be the toro scallion (negi toro) which is just perfection.... On a Saturday night it is quite busy - even with a reservation we had to wait 10 minutes, but the service was terrific, we never felt rushed and.... well the food is just SO good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ZachDined on 9/10/2014Sushi Yasaka is my favorite sushi place in NYC! Fresh sushi, great prices -- I will come here for sushi every chance I get. It gets crowded, so I'd recommend a reservation, and the service isn't always the friendliest, but I love love love the food!Special Features:
- Always good, reliable & reasonableRayUWSVIPDined on 9/2/2014I've been eating here for years and am always happy with great sushi, a nice selection, and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi places in UWSsushi4meDined on 8/31/2014Highly recommend Sushi Yasaka to those who enjoy fresh seafood. The food came quickly and our wait help was attentive.Special Features:
- Great lunch specialTBO21VIPDined on 8/27/2014Affordable and delicious lunch special, and they're quick - perfect for stepping out for lunch while on the clock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud, good for friendstmateocDined on 8/26/2014Would not recommend this place for a date, but was great for a night out with friends. Too loud to be romantic.Special Features: