3001 Hennepin Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushitango.com/
- Phone: 612-822-7787
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Teng Thao
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Late night Thursday through Sunday, dj's play an eclectic mix of funk, soul, pop, hip hop, reggae, and more! Catch the game on one of our four flat screens. Don't miss out on our many happy hours: (early) Mon-Wed 5-7pm, Thu-Sun noon-6pm (late) Sun-Thu 10-1am
- Cross Street: Lake Street
- Public Transit: Located on Hennepin Avenue and Lake Street, Sushi Tango is two blocks from the Uptown Transit Station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: You may self-park in the Calhoun Square ramp. Sushi Tango is located on the sky way level. Valet is offered on weekends.
A word from Sushi Tango
Sushi Tango has moved! Don't fret, we are just across the hall in our beautiful new location. Still in the heart of Uptown Minneapolis, this hot-spot destination features award-winning sushi and newly added teppanyaki. Now featuring an extensive list of artisan sakes, ever-changing tap beers, hip specialty drinks, house-made infusions, and an impressive wine list; you may just "forget" how much fun you had! The legendary Tengo and his team will keep you laughing while they serve up amazing, one-of-a-kind creations you will fantasize about. Nice day out? Come and enjoy it on our new full-service patio, or groove to the sounds of local dj's that play late nights Thursday through Sunday. Please note: reservations made online are for restaurant dining only and not teppanyaki or hibachi. Hours for teppanyaki are: Mon-Thu 5-9:30 Fri 5-10 Sat noon-10 Sun noon-9:30 Shows start every half hour. Please call for reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Tango reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great service by Josh!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Josh was an energetic, friendly waiter with a lot of great suggestions; made the experience a lot of fun. Everything that we ordered was amazing - great rolls!Special Features:
- Not the cleanestWineandDine205Dined on 8/23/2014Tables and floors were very dirty...even the cups were dirty.Special Features:
- The following 203 reviews are from the Sushi Tango reviews archive.
- Amazingloveitall2Dined on 5/24/2014I love dining at sushi tango whether its for an occasion or just a Friday night. The service is always there when needed and the atmosphere is always amazing to be in.Special Features:
- Fine sushiTangoDined on 5/17/2014I was happily surprised t see Tango's menu also offers bulgogi, Korean BBQ with kimchi. Turns out the kimchi was from Costco (I have a jar of the same stuff in my fridge at home) and the bulgogi was OK. My wife had sushi and was pleased.
- STARVED, horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Food was fine but came LATE. My husband STARVED the entire time, he ordered fried rice and got it 2 hours later. Two of my friends came 30 min later than all of us and got their food first. Waitress lied, saying that it was her second day. The friend that came late said that she lied because that same waitress was assigned her table when she went to sushi tango 3 weeks ago. It was a busy night, but they couldn't keep orders right. Went for the dollar oysters, got it LAST as well and it was WRONG. Wanted the SPICY ones. A group of women sat adjacent for us and complained as well.
- Good food, bar atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014We were looking for something with a bit more of a sushi restaurant. Sushi Tango is more of a bar that serves sushi. The food we had was good, but this place would probably be better for a late night visit.
- ServiceBPBPVIPDined on 4/5/2014I'll just echo a common theme of Sushi Tango reviews. Great food and great concept cannot make up for slow service. They seem to work hard at being consistently sub-standard in the service category. It tells me that there's either a training or a staffing issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good happy hourlizlovestoeatVIPDined on 3/26/2014Happy hour goes until 7 and there's plenty on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was pretty good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Everything was pretty good. Nothing was great. I would return but the prices were a little steep for the quality. Many of the dishes were not traditional Japanese but I didn't really expect it to be with a name like Sushi Tango. The tartar totillerias was probably the best thing we are (not Japanese) and the tempura was just passable a little soggy.Special Features:
- The food was great but wehappygoluckyDined on 2/14/2014The food was great but we had HORRIBLE service. She was unprofessional, moody, and bottom line she wasn't doing her job.
- awesome spot!BexBravoDined on 1/25/2014Great place to meet up with friends and have a great meal and awesome drinks! Great prices too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once it was the bestoutandaboutguyVIPDined on 1/12/2014Well it has been a tough road to get to this place. I used to frequent ST often but since the move across the hall it has vever been the same. I am so sad by this revelation. I have been back many many times but the restaurant just isn't the same. We have been once a month for the last year and really it's been 50/50 on quality and overall experience. The staff tries but the quality isn't the same. A great sushi restaurant should never ever precook their shrimp tempura for their crunchy roll. it was THE best in the cities at one time.
- Hello? Anyone there?SushiSavant138Dined on 12/29/2013Basically if you aren't in any sort of hurry or just want to hang out with some friends this is a great place but don't expect too much out of the staff. My party of 5 waited 20 minutes for a waiter to talk to us and another 20 for them to take our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Odd LocationHankVIPDined on 11/9/2013On a vibrant Winter's afternoon my wife and daughter went with me to ST. We strolled through Calhoun Square and found it on the second floor down a hallway. ST was empty when we got there, so we didn't need much help to feel a bit alone. Aside from the lack-luster encouragement of other patrons, the place was clean and nicely put together. If I remember correctly, there were loud TVs by the bar so we chose a quieter place near the kitchen. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt with service. Our food was fantastic with flavor and didn't leave us hungry, except for leftovers :) The only reasons for a four rating instead of a five is location, location, location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Terrible ServiceMo525Dined on 11/3/2013I thought for my 30th bday I would try out a new spot, I had heard Sushi Tango had great food and ambiance. I arrived with my party and our server was nearly non-existent. Happy Hour was all day Sunday, prices were great and the food was delicious. However, we practically had to BEG for a server to help us! My friends had to leave and waited for their bill for nearly 20 minutes, they put their card in to hand to her and she was already gone. Finally we had to ask another server to run the cards for us. Later we told the server we needed more drinks, we were told we should "just go to the bar." As a person who has waited tables, I was greatly displeased with the service we received, especially when celebrating a special occasion.
- always great foodclariseDined on 9/20/2013usually great service, not this time. server was inattentive and not engaged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi TangohappyhrjunkieDined on 8/6/2013The restaurant and service were great. Low quality sushi, however. Maybe it wasn't prepared up to full potential because it was happy hour, but I've had way better sushi at places in Uptown (Wakame).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe just a fluke...JaminDined on 6/2/2013...but this was unbelievably bad. The food itself was okay, once we finally got it, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. We got seated outside on the patio right away, but then wait 40 minutes for someone to take our order on a napkin. Our drinks were gone by the time the appetizers got here and we were not offered new ones - not that we would have gotten them anyway, because who know when they would have gotten to us, but even more water was not forthcoming. After more than an hour our entrees arrived, and by that time it was bitterly cold (the weather, not the entrees), but we decided to stick it out, because we weren't sure we would ever see our waiter again.
- No hibachi!SnowflakeDined on 5/25/2013We enjoyed our time celebrating my sisters graduation but we had indicated that we wanted a hibachi table in our reservation and were told the night of the dinner that they no longer have hibachi tables. Most of us are from out of town but the staff seemed to inform us about this as if this change from 4 mo ago we should have known. They still have "hibachi" on their sign, probably time to change that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for the happy hourmmmmDined on 5/18/2013We went for the happy hour food. It was excellent and at a good price.Special Features:
- Lovely time :)StupendousStephDined on 5/6/2013I went by myself during a remolding of my apartments and the bartender was super friendly and fun to talk to. I definitely plan on returning again soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodationsBirthdayGirlDined on 5/3/2013I ended having about 10 more people at my party. That brought my birthday group from 25 to 35!! I really wanted the whole group to be at one table. They accommodated me with out a compliant. They brought extra tables and chairs. For the whole party we had one waiter and he was magnificent. He didn't miss a beat. People where arriving at different times and sitting anywhere, he noticed the new person right away and took their order. I had the best birthday EVER and the last thing I wanted or needed to think about was the food, venue, or wait staff. Sushi Tango is the best I will most definitely be planning other events there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Poor ExperienceDiner123VIPDined on 4/5/2013We arrived around 1:00 p.m., when the restaurant was not busy, yet it took several minutes for the two servers on the floor to realize that a short line had formed at the door and guests needed to be seated. Our server was friendly and attentive. The menu was limited, and not very creative, and the food was not very high quality. The vegetable dumplings had no taste and the appearance looked like they'd been flash fried after being frozen. The seaweed around the sushi was a little too chewy. Fortunately we paid Happy Hour prices because we would never pay full price for the quality of food we received. There does exist better sushi elsewhere... however, maybe not in Minneapolis.
- Good happy hour menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/2/2013Good happy hour menu with decent food. Nothing really for non-sushi eaters on their HH menu (outside of cream cheese wantons). Fun night with karaoke happening. Our server didn't seem to want to be there and wasn't very attentive.Special Features:
- Our server was slow. She didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Our server was slow. She didn't bring us a drink or offer a drink for 7 minutes. Other than that, everything was fine.
- This was our second time atTuckerDined on 2/23/2013This was our second time at Sushi Tango, and the results were consistent. Good energetic fun atmosphere with good service. Wide and varied menu. But the food is mediocre. Not send-it-back terrible, but just not impressive. Spicy salmon roll was way too spicy (felt like pure wasabi). Tuna, yellowtail and salmon Sashimi were limp not firm. Miso soup was too salty. If you're looking for a fun energetic atmosphere, sushi tango is OK. If you're looking for great sushi, there are lots of better alternatives.Special Features:
- A fun little restaurant toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013A fun little restaurant to explore something a little different then your average dinning. Modern looking restaurant with kind people.Special Features:
- Great Experience, but LIGHTS PLEASEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I enjoyed having dinner @ Sushi Tango. The food is great I love their Flame sushi roll and fried rice. it was a great setting for my GF's birthday dinner. only thing i would like to see change the restaurant was too dark the lights were dimmed too much, but other than that i had a great experience looking forward to future experiences.Special Features:
- Best Sushi Bar Experience in MPLS!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013If you love a great sushi experience, I would highly recommend the sushi bar! Buy a flight of onikoroshi sake and take a shot with the one or two sushi chefs that will be preparing your sushi. They will make sure you have a great experience and ask them to make a roll that is not on the menu - you will get an incredible tasting roll that is completely unique to Sushi Tango.Special Features:
- Poor at honoring reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012My group made a reservation for 5 (via Open Table). We arrived a few minutes early and the hostess acknowledged my reservation (also confirmed via Open Table) and noted that our table was not yet ready. Not a problem as we were early- 10 minutes after our reservation time we were informed that Sushi Tango did not take reservations past 8pm and tables were first come first serve. I advised that they need to update their Open Table profile. The hostess said that the only table available was a 4 seat table in the far back of the restaurant. Our waiter was overworked by other large parties, he did his best, but our table received very poor attention all night. Slow to offer new drinks and slow to deliver food.Special Features:
- Sushi Tango is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Sushi Tango is one of my favorite places to eat in the Twin Cities! The level of food and service is phenomenal and their happy hours are amazing... My friends and I are starting to become regulars. We are amazed at the quality we receive for the low cost we pay.Special Features:
- Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2012I had a great time. Table was ready for us when we got there. Much associated. Amazing hosts! Thanks a bunch all!Special Features:
- First time dinning here. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2012First time dinning here. My boyfriend and I decided to celebrate our one year anniversary here. Outstanding sushi! Reasonably priced! Certainly plan on comming back to dine here again. Wish the desert selection included more than just ice cream.Special Features:
- Had wonderful service. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012Had wonderful service. Our server, Raul, was great. He made sure we were satisfied with everything. Two thumbs way upSpecial Features:
- Not badTempoman18VIPDined on 10/26/2012Service is just ok. Sushi is good, but not the best in the Cities.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2012The service Is really poor. We didn't get some of our food after we paid and are up and ready to leave. They didn't even apologize for anything or tell you that your food is on its way. They don't refil your water. There's a lot of waiter there but all they do is stand around and when you ask for help they'll tell you that they will go find your waiter rather then offer to help. Don't eat there! It's over prize and poor service!
- Shh...it's our secret find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2012We are long-time Sushi Tango goers. This has got to be our favorite get together place. Life gets busy, so every few months we get our group together for Hibachi night at Sushi Tango. It's a total find! Not many people go for hibachi, so we've never had a problem with getting a reservation! Every time we go, we always request our favorite chef, Chan!Special Features:
- Always great.... order theUnrealVIPDined on 9/2/2012Always great.... order the flame roll it's fantastic!Special Features:
- Our server seemed very disinteresteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2012Our server seemed very disinterested in assisting us. The food was terrible.
- Hosted my BFF's birthday partyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Hosted my BFF's birthday party at Tango and had a rather large group, the waitresses DID an AWESOME JOB Accomodating to us!! The food was awesome as always. FUN TIME!Special Features: