Sushi Taiyo Restaurant
58 E Ontario St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sushi Taiyo Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.taiyochicago.com/
- Phone: 3124401717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Mon - Thu: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Fri & Sat: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Min San
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Most of our menu can be packed up and delivered to your location for any kind of event!
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room is available.
- Private Party Contact: Nathan Kosakowski 312-440-1717
- Cross Street: Rush & Ontario
- Public Transit: Three blocks from Grand Red line and one block from all Michigan Ave busses.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available in front durling dinner time.Discount parking ($12 for 3 hours) is available any time durling the restaurant openning. Selection of garages are 50 E. Ohio st. and 10 E. Ontario st. Both of them are really close the restaurant.
A word from Sushi Taiyo Restaurant
Sushi Taiyo features a full sushi bar in our comfortable modern dining room as well as a full menu of Asian appetizers and entrees. This is all complimented by a wide ranged of sake and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Taiyo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (3)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DeliciousCindylooDined on 8/27/2014We were celebrating my husbands birthday. We didn't want something too over the top fancy and a friend told me the sushi was good here! It was fantastic! The fried calamari appetizer was amazing. The sushi rolls were fresh. The staff was on point with awesome service. They even brought out a dessert with a candle because i had mentioned it was his birthday!!Special Features:
- Lousy serviceNadrad314VIPDined on 8/22/2014Waited very long time before server greeted us and took drink order, but the place was NOT busy. Food mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Food was good, but not real japanese restaurant. Definitely more Chinese food inspired. Seating was very tight and crowded. Not the greatest ambiance. More energetic, not relaxing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Bad food, slow service, restaurant seems worn out and tired.
- Always a Great Night OutCS440VIPDined on 8/9/2014Been to Sushi Taiyo many times and it's always a great night out! While it certainly isn't the level of sushi you'll get at Sunda or Roka, it's also much more affordable than those places. We love sitting outside here. Great sake list!Special Features:
- Well rounded menumrs3mDined on 8/9/2014Not just sushi! My husband was very pleased to find a grilled eggplant and tofu dish (he loves eggplant). We had a great tempura mix appetizer. I had the dragon roll which was great. Very good waitress. Enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great PlaceKevinDined on 7/5/2014Nothing about this restaurant disappointed us. We had a group of six and everything was just right. Will return.Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Sushi Taiyo Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food!RaeFDined on 5/29/2014Spacious yet friendly. Great for a group. Service was super good and food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FineOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/24/2014I took a date here. Everything looked good so we just decided to order the chief's choice plate. The waitress brought just one back for us. When we ordered another one, it ended up being the exact same thing. Not sure if this was a communication breakdown or what, but would have thought two people wanted two dinners, and that "chief's choice" did not refer to a predetermined plate. Food was fine though. Ambience was quite '60s which was kind of fun. I feel like it was probably better than the experience I happened to get.
- FlavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014The special rolls had lots of flavor and many varieties.Special Features:
- Will not returnCJDiningVIPDined on 3/31/2014We had a role and unagi. The roll was boring and the unagi was mushy. The server completely forgot we ordered the unagi and we had to request it again. With all of the other sushi places in town, I won't be back to this one.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014This was a great find, had a lot of choices on the menu it was so hard to pick out what to eat since it all looked good!Special Features:
- Outstanding sushiRickVIPDined on 2/27/2014Everything was really fresh, really excellent! I'm very picky when it comes to sushi, and the sushi here made the cut with me.
- Delicious sushi close to Mag MileSushifanVIPDined on 2/27/2014I have been to Sushi Taiyo several times, and the sushi is always very good. It is convenient if you are out shopping on Michigan Ave and want to grab a bite to eat for dinner or lunch. The Sa-B roll is one of my all time favorites.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuahiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014A great sushi meal for valentines day. Reasonably priced, appropriate atmosphere, and a must see for Chicago visitors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freshest sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014I love Sushi Tayo for the Sushi. My favorite is their spicy runs, but I have not had one bad thing yet! Try their cold sparkling Saki too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gem for sushi!lovefoodDined on 1/18/2014Eaten at a few sushi places in the Chicagoland area and this by far is my favourite! Its a small restaurant and some tend to find the seating a bit low but the ambience and service are great. They offer a wide variety of sushi and hot/cold plates at reasonable prices. Definitely recommend anyone in the area to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dishes for everyoneLeslieJeanDined on 12/25/2013A few of us wanted to go out on Christmas Day and this was one of the few decent restaurants in the area that was open. I live nearby and go to Sushi Taiyo frequently and always love it. I was hesitant to take my 2 guests because they "don't do sushi" and were unfamiliar with Japanese food. And I had never tasted any of their cooked dishes as I always eat sushi when I come. However the hostess made excellent suggestions and both my friends raved about their meal. One said they had ordered the teriyaki dish many times, but this was the absolute best she had ever tasted.Special Features:
- Yummy & Not CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2013I think the food is quite appetizing, and I'm rather surprised that the restaurant was not more bustling when I came here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wunderbar!justdessertsDined on 11/15/2013I had a great time here with my boyfriend! I would not recommend the oysters for a first time oyster experience, they weren't very good. However all the rolls we had were incredible. So delicious. I would recommend the specialty rolls more than the generic rolls. We got the mochi for dessert, the red bean one is very grainy and punctually contains whole beans as opposed to ground beans like I'm used to. The Green Tea mochi and Mango were the best ones. And our server, her name is Ginta, she was wonderful! Just so sweet and helpful and has a great attitude, it's what I definitely like to see in customer service. I would definitely go back here and recommend this to sushi fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sunomono needs a littlekisfanVIPDined on 11/15/2013The sunomono needs a little work. Cucumber slices are too thick and the serving is too large. Otherwise food is very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nah, we eat out too much toLaurenVIPDined on 11/2/2013Nah, we eat out too much to even consider coming back here. Probably a good draw for tourists from small towns after a long day spending their hard-earned $$$ on Michigan Avenue!
- Great fast food Asian restaurantBgraceVIPDined on 10/5/2013Great fast food Asian restaurant for on the go travelers!! It's hard to find a good Asian restaurant these days, I highly recommend this restaurant, the staff are friendly, the food delicious and it's close to all the shopping but not too close to all the foot traffic -Special Features:
- Excellent overpriced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2013Sushi and sashimi are my favourite food, so on my birthday I decided to take my husband and 6 year-old daughter out to Sushi Taiyo after having read excellent reviews. The food was indeed delicious, both sushi and sashimi were very good, yet definitely too expensive. We are Europeans, so we don't expect American huge portions, but these ones were small for what we paid, and the only reason we were not starving after leaving was that we had had an aperitif before dinner and had been eating orderves with it.Special Features:
- Love the SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013We were looking for a place within walking distance of our hotel that was wasn't over-the-top in the price and chanced on Sushi Taiyo. The sushi is fresh and imaginative and the menu has a wide selection of hot and cold meals. Make a reservation on the weekend.Special Features:
- The sushi was good but everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2013The sushi was good but everything else was ok. The waitress was very nice.
- Great food at good prices,tommmyVIPDined on 6/7/2013Great food at good prices, in a pleasant room, with good service. If you like sushi, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- Solid sushi and reliable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2013I have eaten here many times- I can almost always book a table, the restaurant isn't annoying loud and the service is great. Most importantly, I have always had a great meal here- the rolls are awesome and the nigiri (fresh fish) is always really fresh and tasty. I seldom write reviews but I owe this place- solid experience every time.Special Features:
- Very very subparNotintonicknamesVIPDined on 5/31/2013What a disappointing experience. Very small sashimi portions. Wait staff has an attitude. Kitchen is slow. Bar drinks very chintzy. Other than that...not bad.
- Simply Excellent SushiMissyk00VIPDined on 5/31/2013Fresh sushi and fresh menu ideas. Loved their rolls with options you won't find everywhere. I was with a group of sushi connoisseurs who all walked away full and happy. I thought the prices weren't bad either. We had some nice cocktails which you don't often find at sushi restaurants.Special Features:
- perfectly fine, not stellarnebo343Dined on 5/6/2013The food was serviceable and the service good at this place. As a diner with allergies, I appreciated my server's attention to the allergies that I have listed here on Opentable. My experience would have been better if the two young women who were seated immediately next to me were instead seated elsewhere, since there were plenty of available tables in the restaurant.
- Streeterville SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/26/2013Great fun drinks, unbelievable apps (gotta try the lamb pops!), and great service. Not to many good sushi bars in this touristy area...but this is the exception. The was our first time but we will become regulars.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceGaryKCDined on 4/22/2013Outstanding dining experience in a great local Chicago neighborhood. Thai/Asian food very good and they will even tweak dishes for your individual taste (we like it spicy). We'll be back!Special Features:
- I was very happy with theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013I was very happy with the service, drinks and huge sushi menu. I went with 6 other girls for a birthday dinner and we ordered about 12 signature rolls to split between us. The service was prompt at our table which was nice. The Flaming roll has slight spice but the other spicy rolls were not spicy at all which was sort of disappointing but not enough that I wouldnt go back. Thats really my only complaint.Special Features:
- Food was well prepared. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Food was well prepared. Enjoyed the Red Dragon, pleasant surprise with how well that tasted. Overall experience was good. They did a awesome job with surprising the wife with a complimentary birthday scoop of ice cream and cake. The staff was attentive and took care of everything. Prices were very reasonable. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great food, great cocktails.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013Great food, great cocktails. Definitely returning!Special Features:
- The sushi was horrible. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013The sushi was horrible. It was served with over cooked rice and the service was bad...
- Tasty rolls, but their piecesSushifanVIPDined on 2/14/2013Tasty rolls, but their pieces of fresh sushi were disappointing. It's easy to make a roll taste good with sauces, tempura flakes, etc, but you can't disguise OK fish with the sashimi and nigiri. I'd only go back for rolls.
- Everytime I come to ChicagoDaniMarieDined on 2/14/2013Everytime I come to Chicago I like to try a new sushi place and this one is in the top three. Went for an anniversary/valentine's dinner and was a nice fit, with the exception that our table was uneven and tilted everytime one of us moved and they wouldn't move us to a new table since they were going to be booked for the rest of the evening. Our server was not the most attentive, nor was she that knowledgable, but overall I enjoyed the dinner. Good food, nice selection.Special Features:
- First time at Sushi TaiyoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/9/2013First time at Sushi Taiyo and was quite impressed! Not quite the ambiance or energy of a Coast or Sushi Samba, but would definitely go back for the sushi itself.Special Features: