75-5799 Alii Dr, Ste. C 3
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushishiono.com/
- Phone: (808) 326-1696
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Keinosuke Kawakami
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sushi Shiono
If you are in the mood for excellent Sushi and Japanese cuisine Shiono is without a doubt the best Sushi Restaurant on the Big Island of Hawaii. We offer only the finest and freshest selections of fresh fish from all over the world, including lots of local fish expertly prepared and served with Love.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sushi Shiono - Best Restaurants in Kailua-Kona ›
Sushi Shiono reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great sushi on big islandKaikaiDined on 10/27/2014We visited shiono three times during our stay and we're really impressed by the quality of the seafood and the creativity of the dish. Local seafood like ahi tuna, kampachi and awabi tastes like they're just out of of the water. Cold buckwheat noodle has a nice texture, dipping sauce is flavorful but not salty. Agedashi tofu distinguishes itself from the hundreds of others that I've tried with the addition of mochi in the dish. Genius. This place deserves a visit for anyone who likes Japanese food, but it's sushi is what I'd remember for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- konachickpeeps4sushiDined on 10/23/2014Excellent as always!!! The teri chicken (shionos special) is da bomb!!! Delicious! Try it you all. You wont b disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative sushiEcodiveDined on 10/18/2014Everything would be good but they use fake crab. I don't support restaurants that serve fake crab.
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/8/2014nice place. Real good attention. Good service. Excellent sushiSpecial Features:
- Fantastic service and food.gogogogoDonaUVIPDined on 10/1/2014You need to enjoy this restaurant...fantastic food and service. We went back twice during visit of 10 days of island. Loved it!!!!!
- VisitingNashvilleDined on 9/28/2014Good food, friendly staff and clean!! Although the sushi list is a bit limited, it makes up for it in quality. I'll be back to this place many more times. Highly recommend it. 👍I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This place has amazing sushi, i eat there on a regular basis and its always great, highly recomendedSpecial Features:
- Best Japanese food in KonaHapabroDined on 8/18/2014We've been to Kona 4 times in the last 6 years and every time we visit Sushi Shiono, and it never disappoints. A good selection of Nigiri and rolls that are the freshest sushi we've tasted on the Big Island. I also tried the Chicken Teriyaki and the sauce was slightly thick and sweet but not overly so.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Sushi Shiono reviews archive.
- Great sushi and appetizersfoodieDined on 7/21/2014Nestled among some tourist shops on the Kona Coast, Sushi Shiono offers good value for high quality sushi. The price points are slightly lower than other sushi restaurants. I loved the nigiri sushi as it showcases the fresh fish as opposed to the rice or special sauces. A special treat was fresh awabi (abalone) that is farmed in Kona. It was expertly prepared. I only wish they also served it grilled. I also loved the Hamachi Kama. The service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and FinedharmasurferDined on 7/21/2014This is our go-to place for lunch when we're in Kona. Great specials, freshest, finest sushi around and the squid salad is yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy sushiChristySVIPDined on 7/17/2014Delicious food and great service. We did get in right as it was opening so that may have helped.Special Features:
- Excellent SushismklinesterDined on 7/14/2014We went three times during our stay in Kona, HI. The sushi chefs were super--and the food was delicious! (We were returning after eating sushi there five years ago.) Best fish! We love to sit at the bar and watch the chefs prepare their artful dishes. Can't recommend it enough.Special Features:
- OkPhanyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Sushi was ok but not impressive. The boat is not worth it. Choose directly in the menu.
- Affordable and excellentFoody101Dined on 7/3/2014Would recommend this restaurant anytime. If you enjoy excellent sushi in a pleasant and down to earth atmosphere this place is for you. Service was friendly and attentive. Will return next time I am in Kona.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdandEsDined on 6/25/2014We arrived early for our res but got seated right away. 'had a large hot sake and Uni nigiri for starters--'enjoyed them! Then ordered a Complete Royal Boat which includes: Soup & Salad, Mixed Roll, Chef's Choice Shashimi, Soft-shelled Crab & Lobster Tempura, and Chicken & Steak Teriyaki. As to the Mixed Roll and Shashimi-- forget it! But I cannot forget the Tempura--they were served cold and thus, were greasy and tasteless. Probably, the tempura sat on the boat for awhile before the other items were ready. 'just surmising. The chicken & steak teriyaki though were very, very good. We could have rated the service a 5 star had they not served the tempura that cold. I will not come back here or will I recommend Shushi Shiono to my friends.Special Features:
- Wonderful!konachickpeeps4sushiDined on 6/17/2014I have been to SushiShiono's at least 10 in a year. This is the first time that I did it through OPEN TABLE! Darn but that's okay. I only had one negative experience..well, once it took 10 mins before I had to ask for some water. That was bad but it was busy and I did see that there was another gent who was waiting too before anyone approached him but HE WAS UPSET. But other than that, I ALWAYS had great experience w/ GREAT FOOD and selection and the food is always FRESH and the restaurant is always CLEAN! The bathroom is neat and clean too. I live on Oahu but Sushishiono's is by FAR MY FAVORITE JAPANESE RESTAURANT!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnergravelousDined on 6/9/2014I made this reservation for my Mom's birthday. We go as a family there often, it's one of our favorite spots. My parents ended up going with a couple of friends this night, and they said that they had a great time. The food, they said, was delicious (as always). My mom loves the service there, everyone is always really friendly and attentive. My mom said that they even brought over dessert. Although I was sad I wasn't able to join my mom and dad to celebrate my mom's birthday, I'm glad they had a wonderful time, at one of their favorite spots.Special Features:
- Food was yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Made my reservations online....super easy! There were 10 of us so there was a little confusion with parts of our orders but to be expected with a large group.....nothing major. Food was incredible and even the kids were full! This wasn't our first visit and it won't be our last. And apparently, they also do take out!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceLunchDined on 5/23/2014I loved the electronic reservation system. The Food and Service were consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, not cheapjwbfldVIPDined on 5/21/2014The sushi here is good. Prices were a little high. It's not easy to find, but had good food and service. We were there before the rush, but it got busy while we were eating.Special Features:
- Possibly the best sushi in KonaNickname1Dined on 5/2/2014We have been here before, both at the sushi bar and once outside on the patio. Although it's nice to dine outdoors, the patio has absolutely no atmosphere and was very dimly lit. We dined at the bar this time and our food orders came up quickly. The only problem was a lack of communication. The chefs are eager to please and very sweet but they made the wrong roll for us in this case and it was easier to eat it than make it understood that we had ordered something else. Fortunately it's a roll that we like and possibly would have ordered anyway since we usually order in stages. I think it would benefit them to fix up the patio with some plants or something to improve the ambiance since the Kona air is so warm at night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- for sushi loversBWTtnVIPDined on 4/28/2014never tried this place in prior visits to Kona, but gave it a shot and we'll be returning on future trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Have Sushi!gbertolozziVIPDined on 4/20/2014We went to this place based on the reviews and it is wonderful and delicious! It's a neighborhood find. It's in the tourist section of Alii Drive but I felt there were many locals in the restaurant. Sushi was delicious and fresh. Would definitely go back when we return to Kona!Special Features:
- Usual DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014We always go to Restaurant Shiono when we are in Kailua-Kona. It is clean, fresh food. Great raw fish. Shrimp tempura is fantastic! We like the sushi rolls and nigiri. The boat is dinner for three! We will always eat at Sushi Shiono when we dine along Ali'i Drive. There are many other places but not as good. Organic greens are FRESH! Sushi is very good, maybe best in Kona. This place is not cheap but hey you get what you pay for these days. Bathroom is CLEAN. Staff very local and very nice. Local people always fill this place up so make a res for sure. Itamai are from Japan and know what they are doing, very important for good sushi. Aloha and Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serviceable sushiDas19Dined on 3/24/2014Basic Japanese menu in a convenient Kona location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Researching Kona dining spotsNickname1Dined on 3/22/2014I can't really recommend this restaurant for many of the categories that are supplied by OpenTable because it's not so easily defined. I checked the box for Vibrant Bar Scene but only because that pertains to the sushi bar. We had a good time interacting with the 2 sushi chefs and people that were seated next to us. On this particular night it was noisy since there were large parties but I would guess it's not always that way. The rolls were very good and I won't be the first to mention the one that is topped with Macadamia nuts and tobiko. It was very flavorful with a nice crunch from the nuts and fish eggs. I think we will be making this our new favorite place to dine when looking for Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, friendly, & ambiencekimdeniseDined on 2/13/2014Went to Shiono night before Valentines...Always a warm welcome and seating. Attractive simple décor and comfortable noise level. Cold house sake is served in the most beautiful bottles and cups and the fish is very fresh and simply and elegantly presented. The staff is warm and friendly and always right there to get you what you need or want. One of my favs on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good. It overpricedChefDined on 2/13/2014This place had excellent fish entrees. Not the best sushi rolls I've had. The ingredients seamed meager on the rolls and they were very expensive comPared to other places. The place was 1/3 full as we were the second table seated once they opened for dinner. Service a bit slow and had to remind server to bring water and extra wasabi three times. Also all items including appetizers and entrees were brought at the same time. Not a great way to enjoy an expensive dinner. The three of us got appetizers, drinks (1 each) and entree and bill was $200 plus tip. Would I go back? Probably not. Must be better places to go for more value and better service.Special Features:
- Yum! Yum!fooddudeVIPDined on 2/7/2014I love the food here! Never disappointed. One of my favorite restaurants. Service is good and food is fabulous! You should try this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining DelightMistressofMischiefDined on 1/8/2014We had a large party of twelve. We supplied Sushi Shiono's a list of our orders in advance, as we were arriving at their opening hour. All meals were superb! Service was attentive and prompt. We observed other patrons were not delayed due to our large group. Atmosphere was pleasant. Several of our group had not previously dined at Sushi Shiono's. We will all be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013Since we went to lunch on a saturday, not sure if the food was at it's life end. I had the miso butterfish and the taste was not like I remembered and the shrimp tempura batter did not taste quite right. They also was out of green tea ice cream. A Japanese restaurant without green tea ice cream? It just could have been the day. I need to try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SushiShaneandShannaDined on 11/21/2013Volcano Roll was INSANELY good!! We came to the island for our Honeymoon, and this was one of the most memorable meals we had from Hilo to South Point to Kona to Kohala to Waimea and back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better sashimi anywhere.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/11/2013The freshness and quality of Shiono's fish is top notch. If you are an ahi fan, don't miss the garlic ahi nigiri or sashimi. Dinner prices are reasonable and lunch prices are a steal by Kona standards.Special Features:
- The food we had was good -Meno1204Dined on 11/10/2013It was fun to sit at the sushi bar and watch them make it. It was good, not special or unique....
- After having been served overLocalTasterDined on 11/2/2013After having been served over cooked pork Tonkatsu, I won't be ordering that from there. The rice is perfect, and their house dressing is probably the best.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HusbandJimODined on 10/28/2013Great food, great service, great place to eat and enjoy!Special Features:
- Great but LoudLikenSushiDined on 10/26/2013You'll love Sushi Shiono. Service is friendly, efficient, and very accommodating. Presentation was great. Portions were ample. Every dish we ate or saw appeared to be very fresh. The wine list was okay, pricey, but not as high as we had seen elsewhere. We did not try the sake, but the list was ample. The restaurant was loud and friendly. every table full on Saturday night. We made a reservation, and were seated immediately at the only available table. Take out is available. We saw many diners that looked to be local, a good sign. Food at other tables looked great, too. It made me want to order past my appetite. I would put this on my must-try list for Japanese food lovers. I'll return next time I visit Kailua, Kona.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushisadenverDined on 10/18/2013Sushi was great and very fresh. Prices were a bit expensive. Service was fair at best -- they did not refill water glasses or check in very often to see if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good rolls, patio area needs helpNickname1Dined on 10/5/2013We opted to sit outside on their small patio since the interior was way too cold. The patio offers (almost) a glimpse to the ocean across the road but they could do more with the atmosphere of the patio. However, our focus was on the food which was delicious. We like to ask for our rolls to be "double-cut" meaning the pieces are smaller and the chef complied. Between the 2 of us, we had 3 rolls and that was enough to satisfy. The only other place we have tried for sushi on the island is Kenichi which is good but unless you go at happy hour, their prices are much higher. We felt we got a better value for the money at Shiono. Next time, I will take a wrap and we will sit at the sushi bar to watch the chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kind and patient waitstaffJedmach1Dined on 10/3/2013Our experience was excellent. Great food and staff. Green tea and Tahitian vanilla ice cream were great finishes. they easily accommodated our party of 7.highly recommend.Special Features: