Sushi Sasabune Hawaii
1417 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96814Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi Sasabune Hawaii
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sushisasabunehawaii.com/
- Phone: 8089473800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday; 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Executive Chef: Seiji Kumagawa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Sushi Sasabune Hawaii
SUSHI SASABUNE was just voted "Best Restaurant Hawaii" and wins "Top Food Honors" by 2011/2012 Zagat’s survey magazine. But be advised, we do not offer California rolls, and the majority of our 'OMAKASE - leave it up to chef" style of sushi is not to be seasoned with soy sauce or wasabi. This should be new experience for you, and we assure you that you will enjoy. Each small plate is meant to compliment the previous, and prepare you for the next. You will experience sashimi, and some crafted sushi in its purest form. A local food writer, after sharing a dinner in our restaurant described the style of sushi as "The fish and shellfish, is extremely fresh. There is no odor or aftertaste. It is so fresh that its taste is sweet, a characteristic have not experienced at other restaurants." So please join us and allow the chef to be your guide through today's freshest fish found at the market, and please relax, enjoy follow the chef's onlyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sushi Sasabune Hawaii - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Sushi Sasabune Hawaii reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (9)hot spot (5)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great sushi near HonoluluchuonthisDined on 9/18/2014Got the omakase with my wife to celebrate her birthday. Service was impeccable, ambiance was good (neighborhood isn't the best but free parking is a bonus), but the food was AMAZING. They give options for eastern (more exotic) and western (more conservative/fish-based) and my wife and I got one of each so we could try a little of everything. Both were exceptional. The quality of the fish rivals that of the tsukiji fish market near Tokyo. We had to stop at the 12th course (13 was too many, especially being a handroll) but I can honestly say that 3/4 of the dishes were out of this world good. Pricey but worth every penny if you are looking for high quality sushi for a special occasion near Honolulu.Special Features:
- A sushi experienceDennisVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wow, just wow. 13 courses, all chosen and presented by the chefs. Original, already seasoned, and of the highest quality. The fish was extremely fresh and came from all over the world. I have several types of sushi I had never tasted before. 13 courses sounds like a lot, but each course is 1-3 pieces of fish, and it was the perfect amount of food. Expensive, but worth the price, and I cannot recommend more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014Found this on Trip advisor, Amazing little place, pricey, But worth it. Some of the best sushi I have ever had in my life. Get the chefs tasting menu (Trust Me). Before you order just make sure they haven't run out of something. My wife and I had 13 courses all of it beyond compare. Next time we are on Oahu, we will be going back to Sushi Sasabune.Special Features:
- fine omakaseMJC808VIPDined on 9/3/2014Haven't been here in awhile so it was nice to see a change in the omakase offerings (Eastern style). The ika was prepared perfectly, and looked so beautiful, the uni was of the highest quality and we enjoyed another round of uni for "dessert" after we completed the omakase offerings. I enjoyed the king crab leg better than the rock lobster with mayo in the past. This meal felt a lot "cleaner" than usual. Exquisite!Special Features:
- Best Sushi EVER!!!AngelaInHawaiiDined on 8/30/2014This is my second time to Sasabune. Both times the food is just BEYOND Amazing! As I type this, my mouth is watering just thinking about how good the food tastes AND FEELS in my mouth. I know that sounds odd.. but the sushi is so smooth and ...well AMAZING! I took my 22 year old son.. who is a FOODIE and he got CHILLS TWICE!!! Yes.. CHILLS... okay.. now about the ambiance... meh.. it's good.. small place.. notthing to write home about. Both times there were some who's who in the acting scene... but when it comes to this quality and cost of food... I'd expect to see some folks with the financial ability and worldly tastebuds.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in ever in USA!lovetodineVIPDined on 8/20/2014I had good sushi, but not until I ate here. Now, I have difficulties eating sushi elsewhere. My friend said, best sushi outside of Japan (he used to live in Japan). The service, ambiance and the food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014As always considered one of the top sushi restaurants in Hawaii, Sushi Sasabune didn't disappoint. Due to my special diet (currently nursing) I went for the ala carte menu and was able to find non big fish options that were still very yummy. I picked a quieter time to go with my infant-lunch. It's more relaxing for us. Saw them turn away 3 parties who walked in with no reservations including couple cast/crew from Hawaii 5-O. The restaurant was about 25% full but i understand they have a ration on their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricePCdinerDined on 8/9/2014Pre-fixed menu, which would be okay if we were able to get all courses. We were told there was going to be 13 courses, my husband and I were only served 10, we were told that they had ran out of the other courses. We paid over $200.00 for just the two of us. Service was slow, it took us 1 hour to get only 4 courses. Some of the staff was very friendly while others just seem to not care. Food was okay, but I get better sushi, service, and quality from Yoshi and his crew at Zippys Pearl City and the quantity vs price can't be beat.
- Best Sushi Everoldham79VIPDined on 8/6/2014Very expensive but you get what you pay for. 13 course meal for 2 with sake came to $330 before tip!Special Features:
- Throw caution to the wind.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Throw caution to the wind and let Sieji and his crew be your guide. They have a plan for your dining experience and if you follow it you will be surprised. It's like the sign says "Trust me"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- let downJohannvonmastiffDined on 8/1/2014The last time I ate here was a year ago and it was one of the best sushi experiences of my life. This time I was let down. All of the fish was pre-cut. Also, the rice which was a highpoint my last time in was a let down. It was mushy. For what the charge, this was just ok. I remember the last time, every piece was incredible and now it was just, meh.Special Features:
- Perfect.jackVIPDined on 7/31/2014Everytime we visit this place, they maintain the highest level possible. Simply the best.Special Features:
- Absolutely. The. Best.justinthymeDined on 7/31/2014Once again Chef Seiji and his crack crew served us the freshest, most flavorful and most delectable sushi and sashimi anyone could hope for, anywhere (including Japan!) The offerings came from all over the globe, and were incomparable in quality. No other sushi bar anywhere else compares in quality to this phenomenal restaurant. I have been a regular at Sushi Sasabune Honolulu since it first opened almost 20 years ago. I have never, ever, been disappointed. This is a precious gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Food good but TOO expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014It was VERY expensive. I will not go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi will never be the sameFoodBabyDined on 7/8/2014I am from Vancouver where we have an abundance of sushi restaurants to choose from but this was the best sushi restaurant we have been to thus far. My husband had the omakase, which was well worth the money and I ordered dishes A la Carte. There were 13 courses in tje omakase and we liked how there was some hot dishes within the 13 courses. The fish was super fresh and delicious. My favorites were the scallop nigiri, toro nigiri, king fish salmon, skip jack nigiri and the miso soup. The miso soup was different from the convertional miso soup and was sweet from what i presume was from the prawns base. The service is impeccable. A must visit if you are a fresh fish fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 225 reviews are from the Sushi Sasabune Hawaii reviews archive.
- Very GoodFoodiefromKoreaDined on 6/19/2014This was our first visit. Food and service were outstanding. We will go back.Special Features:
- sushi heavanepicfoodguideDined on 6/3/2014Sublime sushi made with warm rice by chef Seiji and no soy sauce needed. Simply and consistently the highest quality of seafood flown in from around the world. The specially marinated ikura are the best. You are lucky if there is ankimo when you dine. Ask for the miso soup at the end, its intense flavor is like Japanese bouillabaisse. The special Sasabune sake pairs well with sushi. This place is definitely for people who appreciate all different types of fish and shellfish. Not for sushi novices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trust meFalafelmafiaVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great place for omakse and exploring the amazing tastes of the chefs creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No More SearchingSushiSeekerVIPDined on 5/1/2014I've eaten Sushi all over the World. This place is Special..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Perfect SushiPaulaGDined on 4/25/2014We joke and say we would travel to Honolulu just to eat at this restaurant. It is kind of true. The food is excellent and it keeps us coming back each time. Thank you so much for wonderful lunch memories!Special Features:
- All positive expectations mettraveltoeatDined on 4/22/201413 course sushi feast was amazing each one carefully explained by chef. Staff were super attentive at clearing plates and very friendly. If you are prepared to trust the chef go and enjoy. If you are fussy or picky about your choice stay home or go somewhere more bland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable eventdebDVIPDined on 4/18/2014I enjoy going here because I don't have to decide what to order. the Trust me menu is decided by the sushi chef and I have never been disappointed and try things I usually would not know to order. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Sushi Perfection.PaulaGDined on 4/18/2014My husband and I make sure to come here for lunch a couple of times when we are on Oahu. The food is simply spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trust me!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014If you like excellent sushi and terrific sake in a classy atmosphere, this is the placeSpecial Features:
- I have been here for the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2014I have been here for the past 10 years and for the first time tonight the fish and rice were substandard to their usual high quality. The rice was hard and the fish were not fresh and tasted bland. The chef does not provide soy sauce to dip anymore and if the fish is of marginal quality it really stands out. They usually melt in my mouth but tonight they were off. We all have our off days and hope tonight was just one of those because it would be a shame if Sasabune quality of food goes down. The high price is worth it if the fish is of high quality.
- Chef Seiji Kumagawa is withoutOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/27/2014Chef Seiji Kumagawa is without peer. The quality of the seafood is outstanding. He knows where every fish comes from and from who. If you go to the sushi bar then it is Omakase style meaning Chefs choice. Strongly recommend you follow his lead. As good as it gets in the world. I have had sushi all over Japan and the US that is remarkable but nothing beats Sushi Sasabune.Special Features:
- Be prepared to eat!loves2eatDined on 3/26/201413 courses but we only got to 8, the food was coming out so fast a slower pace would've been more comfortable. Overall good food, limited wine list but sake available.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than last time. AllV123VIPDined on 3/21/2014Better than last time. All the dishes were fresh this time. The water glass was clean with no fishy smells. The scallop dish was from Hokkaido Pacific ocean (wild not farmed).
- Prepare to be amazed!justinthymeDined on 3/21/2014Absolutely superb seafood from all over the world, expertly prepared by the incomparable Chef Seiji, set the tone for this hidden gem in an unlikely location. There is no place with sushi and sashimi remotely as good as Sushi Sasabune's, not even a distant competitor. It's very expensive -- but worth every dollar and more, trust me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Toro!! We did doublePrettyredDined on 3/19/2014Excellent Toro!! We did double order for six of us. Kubota sake is adding for great dinning experience but it's quiet price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushinobuchanVIPDined on 3/14/2014Excellent detailed preparation for each dishes. timing is excellent. they even use home made salt to elevate his abalone. just leave it to the chef.Special Features:
- This is not sushi. It's better.STUpendousDined on 3/1/2014Just truly outstanding in terms of freshness and creativity and with how each piece is prepared and presented. I recommended to my guests that they close their eyes and chew very slowly even pausing before swallowing which helps you to fully savor the subtle nuances of each flavor combination. I consider it a religious experience to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Let the chef choose and be delighted! Melt in your mouth sushi! A little gem tucked away on King St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in HonoluluGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 1/31/2014Omakase only, traditional style sushi. Pricey but fantastic. Only for those who will eat everything raw as you eat what the chef serves and the way he wants you to eat it. No soy sauce on the table!Special Features:
- Chef'S choiceOprahDined on 1/25/2014Chef's choice is the only alternative you have and you'll want more. The best sashimi ever. It's not allowed to use cellphone and it makes the experience better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi and service.ScottDined on 1/24/2014Top rate fish, preparation and service levels. Unreal!! Look forward to returning on my next trip to HNL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteKobaDined on 1/21/2014The service and ambience were exceptional! The food was good, but some sushi could be improved upon. Most of the sushi was fantastic but there were some that were ordinary or even less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An extraordinary dining experienceBobfromVailDined on 1/21/2014If you love sushi, come to Sasabune and put yourself in their hands. Ignore the reviews about poor service or rudeness. They operate a very small and special restaurant and cater to sushi aficionados. They only serve sushi and want you to make a reservation. Beyond that, you will be very well taken care of and warmly greeted. The meal consists of small plates of two pieces of sushi (but sometimes sashimi style fish or seafood specialties), perfectly prepared and absolutely spectacular in taste and mouth feel. We rank Sasabune at the top of our sushi experiences. While the normal meal is 16 courses, you can stop at anytime by simply telling them that the next one will be your last. Pricing is fair and based on what you have been served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally overrated. Very dingy,donnaVIPDined on 1/18/2014Totally overrated. Very dingy, almost dirty feeling in the restaurant. Food was not on a par with a high class sushi place.
- Too seriousHoneyDined on 1/14/2014Food & service was great but all the chefs are too serious...feels little coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.