Sushi Roku - Santa Monica
1401 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Sushi Roku - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushiroku.com/sushiroku
- Phone: 3104584771
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm, Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Wednesday: 5:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday and Friday: 5:30pm-11:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-11:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday: 5:00pm-6:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-6:30pm, and Sunday: 4:30pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hiroshi Shima
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View
- Catering: Please call our Director of Catering, Sales and Special Events RuthAnne Gibson at (310) 271-6000 ext. 113 to get more information on our catering & special event offerings.
- Private Party Facilities: Sushi Roku, Santa Monica can accommodate private parties of more than 30 people. Please call for details.
A word from Sushi Roku - Santa Monica
Sushi Roku combines the finest, freshest fish from pristine waters around the globe with the kind of artistry that can only be provided by a mature sushi chef ensuring superlative traditional sushi, together with a splash of California innovation. Sushi Roku is a pioneer of contemporary sushi, incorporating diverse, non-traditional ingredients from Latin America (e.g. jalapeños) and Europe (e.g. olive oil) into its edible works of art. This unique culinary experience that bridges past and present is the result of an eagerness to embrace new ideas and a profound respect for tradition. Sushi Roku’s bold and diverse menu also offers an array of hot and cold specialty appetizers and an extensive selection of exotic entrées.Continued
RobataBar, located behind Sushi Roku features robatayaki style skewers, tapas style sashimi dishes, and sushi.
RobataBar, located behind Sushi Roku features robatayaki style skewers, tapas style sashimi dishes, and sushi.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sushi Roku - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Sushi Roku - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)hot spot (29)scenic view (23)good for groups (20)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (10)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Birthday CelebrationEllieDined on 9/14/2014The evening started off a bit shakey, but ended great. We were seated at a table with no room to pullout chairs. We moved to another table which was luckily available and ordered. Somehow our order did not translate to what we requested and two things had to be returned. Also, the edamame was very salty and we had to return it. The food came out at odd times, and we had to ask if they remembered the rest of our order, but when it came it was beautifully presented, and delicious. We eat here all of the time and this is the first time we had some problems, but our waiter made up for it in the end and didn't charge us for desert. Still one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Simply AwesomefoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/3/2014This place has amazing Sushi & Japanese Cuisine. It was an amazing dining experience with the Santa Monica Sunset as a backdrop. This was a first class dining experience under some very professional staff & Management. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- What a disappointmentOBGYMDined on 8/27/2014I hadn't been to Sushi Roku for 4 years or so. Back then the food was great. Not now. The fish wasn't so fresh. Our waitress was scatter brained. It felt like a place for the tourist set. I doubt I'll be back.Special Features:
- Return a mustUS14Dined on 8/22/2014We visited 18 months ago and on our last trip just now put it on our " must return" list - it didn't disappoint lucky to get a lovely window table and the food was exceptional as usual. Excellent service by a gorgeous young pregnant lady ( sorry no name) was gracious and friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014our server was super friendly and great at explaining itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensive!Uccio23Dined on 8/19/2014The place is really nice and classy, the service is very good - can't say excellent as our server forgot our miso soups - and so is the food. The only bad news is that it is very expensive, even to a European!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good sushi restaurantphilVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been there several times. Never disappointed. Fish always super fresh. Good and friendly service. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and limited menu.TomMorelDined on 8/11/2014The food and the service was good but frankly I thought that it was overpriced for what it was. Also the menu is very limited. I have been coming to this place over the years but I realize now that there are better options at that price level. I don't think I will return.
- Same great quality every timeGuidoHDined on 8/7/2014After been in Ruku several times for 4 years now, each time it is great food. Maybe to some others not the best sushi in the US, however my wife and I really love it ever time. Always busy, always super fresh fish and love the classics they have. For me a must have when I am in Santa Monica every second month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice sushi restaurantstarDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed having sushi dinner at Sushi Roku. Every sushi was so good. We orderd ramen noodle and it was also good!Special Features:
- Great location better foodEAAS68Dined on 8/4/2014As my title says, at the corner of Santa Monica and 1st street overlooking the beach. Food was even better than location, great popcorn glazed shrimp andchocolate volcano!Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceFamilyguyDined on 8/2/2014I am always impressed by US service which made the terrible service here stand out even more! We arrived 9 mins early for a table and despite there being about 10 empty tables were told our table was not ready and we'd have to wait in the bar. As we had 2 children however they said we actually had to stand in the corner instead! Food was average at best with far too much overpowering sauce on just about everything. The waiter, who was basically invisible for the whole meal then capped off a miserable night by pointing out that service was not included by taking 5 minutes to add 20 stars to the part on the bill that was for a tip and then did the same again on the credit card slip. Pity he didn't spend as long actually giving good service!
- Shout out to hostessesAprilVIPDined on 7/25/2014I especially want to give a thank you to the hostesses. They were very friendly and accommodating. I made a reservation for 7:30 on Open Table. I decided that I wanted to get a cocktail at the Ivy at the Shore beforehand and tried to push back the reservation on Open Table but it could not accommodate me. The hostesses were more than happy to push back my reservation and actually thanked me for asking and not showing up late! They were so nice and it made my dining experience even better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Roku is the bestsallybssDined on 7/24/2014When in L.A. I stay in Santa Monica and look forward to meals at Sushi Roku. I am addicted to the place. Tofu three ways, the miso cod, eggplant dengaku and more! And the service is great, very professional.Special Features:
- Overpriced and subpar sushiAv8rDined on 7/19/2014The location can't be beat. However, being located in Santa Monica and right next to the Pacific Ocean, you'd think the sushi would be top notch. It certainly is priced at a premium! I've had better sushi in Wichita!Special Features:
- Sushi delight!CaterinaDined on 7/19/2014Whenever I come to Santa Monica I never hesitate in visiting Sushi Roku more than a few times during my stay. The service is impeccable, the dishes always look amazing and the flavors are superb. I really enjoy the ambiance and choice of architectural design. Whether out on the patio or indoors there's always something to appreciate. I always make sure to try the daily specials or seasonal menu to see what new innovative recipe that the chef has designed and I am never disappointed. I highly recommend the restaurant whenever I can and look forward to any future visits whenever the opportunity arises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with a smileZanySDined on 7/14/2014We had. Fabulous dinner here with our two kids. The waitress was friendly and super professional. She knew how to make both the adults and children happy. While the sushi was good...the other prepared dishes were excellent. We even loved the Kale salad with the fried mushrooms on it. Great place! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Dine LA lunchTMoneyDined on 7/14/2014Some of the best, freshest sushi around..period. All three choices on the Dine LA menu were good. I had the sashimi and sushi, followed by the mango sorbet. My husband chose the cooked salmon which was displayed beautifully on the plate, and quite a big piece. However, it was a bit overdone for his taste. Great flavors overall. The view of the ocean across the street is unbeatable and the walk to the park afterwards for pictures is always a treat. The hostess was super friendly and easy-going when showing us our table. The service was spotty, had to ask for a green tea refill and would've loved a few smiles but all business. Glad we stopped in to celebrate a birthday and Dine LA!Special Features:
- Order the Fluke!AmazingVIPDined on 7/11/2014Everything was amazing but the Fluke with Kumquat was Aaaamaaaazzzzzing!Special Features:
- Birthday night outPhilly2VeniceDined on 7/6/2014Seated right on time, in nook as cozy as possible given limitations. Friendly hostesses and waiter, not too pushy except with the sake (and removing bottle before we were quite finished). Sushi rolls were stellar, especially katana roll. They knew it was my wife's birthday from open table and I did not even have to remind about this. They brought out mousse sundae with a candle, compliment of the house. Very classy touch that I appreciate. Overall, excellent experience. My wife and I don't get out a lot with two kids at home and we definitely felt the freedom of a night to ourselves and roku supported this tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessicaVIPDined on 6/29/2014Sushi Roku used to by one of our favorite Sushi spots. However, over the years we feel like the quality has gone down. We would always order the Chillean Seabass dish, but this time we had to send it back since the fish was overcooked and had a rubbery texture to it. Even the one the brought after was almost the same. We knew something was not right, since the seabass has always been soft and flaky, not hard and chewy. We did not want to send it back another time though. Sushi rolls are average, nothing special. I also got the Miso Cod, which was a small portion and tasted the same as I can get at Izakaya by Katsuya for half the price. The tables for couples are very close together, so I kept knocking over the other tables drinks!
- great experienceGaryBDined on 6/28/2014It was a busy Saturday night. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. They were very busy but the service was still outstanding and the food was great.Special Features:
- Terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2014I have been dining at this place probably 100 times+ during the last 6-7 years. Over the last 1-2 years, I have seen a declining level of quality. In particular when it comes to the service. We arrived for a Family dinner, with a young daughter. Took ages to get our drinks and take food order. Even longer before our food arrived, and order was mixed up. 1 starter came with 1 maincourse. Another long wait to get hold on waiter, who seemed to have lost track. Another looong wait for next dishes to arrive. Any other place would have deeply apologized, and compensated somehow. This was not the case. Food was still good (but also high priced), but the poor service made this a bad experience.Special Features:
- I paid $65 to be bored/dissatisfiedkimberleyrDined on 6/24/2014Pros: Ambiance. Patio. View. Service. Cons: Fish wasn't that fresh. Yellowtail tuna was oversauced and the seasoning was underwhelming. Baked crab roll was lackluster - pretty much just imitation crab and mayo wrapped in some white rice paper with sesame seeds. Plating was average to boring.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2014The waitress wasn't too attentive and seemed pre-occupied with other clients rather than focusing on us while she was assisting us.
- Awesome!AmazingVIPDined on 6/22/2014Loved every dish on their menu. We go to Sushi Roku a lot and it never fails to impress! Excellent service.Special Features:
- Always goodObi1VIPDined on 6/21/2014I've been to Sushi Roku many times and I always love it. The eggplant is the best, popcorn shrimp was wonderful and the sushi is reliably good. Love going there and will go there again ( and again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MDRFoodLoverDined on 6/14/2014Food was amazing and staff very friendly and attentive. I really enjoy it.Special Features:
- Not recomemendedRodkfuDined on 6/12/2014It seens to be a restaurant for tourits. It is at a nice locations but the japonese food is poor and besides it is expensive.
- The following 439 reviews are from the Sushi Roku - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- DiscriminatingDinerDined on 5/20/2014The food has deteriorated. Now it's all about salt and sauces. Nothing memorable.
- Good but...suprchargitDined on 5/15/2014The food was appetizing, but portions were small, given the price. I don't like heaping plates of food when I eat out, but after spending that much on dinner, I shouldn't have been hungry again an hour later.Special Features:
- Exceptional Sushi DinnerNYCdinerDined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I chose Suchi Roku for a 5 star birthday dinner. We were delighted by the fresh creative sushi presentations. The waitress timed the presentations of the different dishes perfectly so each was thoroughly enjoyed. We sat on the glass enclosed patio overlooking PCH. The entire experience was most enjoyable. Even parking was easy at a garage on 2nd street just around the block.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming C- for $$$CaliforniaLoveVIPDined on 5/4/2014Sushi should have been better. I've had unimpressive food at both Santa Monica and Beverly Grove locations. C- Hostesses were not accommodating. Despite the fact we requested an indoor table in our reservation we ended up sitting outside on the side patio which has heavy traffic, less of a view and a stronger wind chill. We offered to wait for the table inside, but they said they couldn't help us. By the time we left 1 hour 1/2 later the table we requested inside was still unseated. F- Waiter and busboys were excellent, prompt and friendly. A Innovative dining also runs Katana, which has fresher fish and better dishes in my opinion. I'd recommend Katana in West Hollywood for sushi lovers or Sugarfish if you are in Santa Monica.Special Features:
- Great sushiGianlu6969Dined on 4/25/2014I had dinner with my girlfriend there and we both found the food extremely good. The restaurant was a little crowded and probably a bit noisy, however we could talk and have a conversation easily. Good spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Had a reservation at 9 pm but still had to wait 30 minutes for a table. The GM apologized though and brought us a free dish. This is not really a traditional sushi place. The food tastes good but it's all very rich and mostly fried-- or at least most of the dishes Gave the food four stars because of the wine list. But for sushi I prefer izakaya, sugarfsh, nobu, etc.Special Features:
- creative and interestingnigeltufnelDined on 4/4/2014Sushi Roku is my favorite sushi in Santa Monica - they've got much more than sushi, although that's what I tend to order. You can always count on the baked crab handroll - one of the very best things on the menu. One thing I don't understand was the absence of room-temperature sake... no need to heat it, just leave a few bottles out of the refrigerator for those few guests who like it that way. They do this at Japanese restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCaterinaDined on 4/3/2014On a recommendation from a friend of mine who worked at the restaurant prior and is a regular I couldn't have been more satisfied with the service. The flavors and ambiance just add to the memorable experience. It's well worth the visit and future visits. I love the variety and fresh choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service had in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014We were a party of 8 people and our server knew exactly how to serve us. He offered to do all of the ordering for us and to facilitate the order of the food and the amount based on how appetite, energy, etc. It was fantastic! The server's name is Clint. Very attentive and the food he brought out was delicious!!Special Features:
- Very goodalhatVIPDined on 3/23/2014Better than expected, but somewhat overpriced as compared to the superior Sugarfish only a block away.Special Features:
- Fish quality was outstandingbonemanDined on 3/21/2014Near our hotel, we were seated at the sushi bar on short notice. Service and selections for drinks was prompt and attentive. Good sake selection but no shochu menu. Usual wine and beers available. We started off with toro sashimi. Four nice pieces and the quality, texture and taste were superb. My partner who is partial to rolls and in deference to the locale has a california roll. I had six pieces of assorted nigri sushi. Again, they got it right with the rice, the wasabi between the rice and the fish and the cut/quality of the fish itself. My partner declared herself satisfied with the roll. Dessert was green tea ice cream which had been poured into bean paste shells and frozen. Definitely a must have. RecommendedSpecial Features: