Sushi Roku - Pasadena
33 Miller Alley at One Colorado
Pasadena, CA 91103Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Sushi Roku - Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushiroku.com/
- Phone: 6266833000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2:30pm, Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm on;
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:30pm-10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm- 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Sunday-Tuesday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Wednesday-Saturday: 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hiroshi Shima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Catering, Sales and Special Events, RuthAnne Gibson at (310)-271-6000 ext. 113 for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accomodate large parties. Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from Sushi Roku - Pasadena
Sushi Roku Pasadena has transformed the traditional sushi bar experience into a complete dining affair. Guests can enjoy their visit at the sushi bar, one of the hand-made bamboo dining tables adjacent to a trickling waterfall, or escape to the garden patio overlooking the courtyard. Sushi Roku's vast and colorful menu features an array of fresh California sushi, luscious salads, specialty appetizers and hot entrees. Our full service bar offers a variety of hot and cold sake as well as asian martinis and an extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Roku - Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (32)fit for foodies (30)romantic (30)special occasion (29)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (25)vibrant bar scene (19)great for lunch (18)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Love sushi roku. One of our go-tosjiffypopVIPDined on 10/24/2014Specialty rolls are always great (try the Shumi and the the Katana). Service is friendly and they have great suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeSimonsVIPDined on 10/22/2014We enjoyed our dinner here. Fantastic food...service could be better.Special Features:
- Cold baked rollOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014730 Saturday night. The place is rather nice. The oyster shooters were very good as well as a bowl of ramen. My yellowtail was very fresh and tasty as well. The unfortunate portion of this was with the baked lobster roll. When we received it, the roll was barely warm. I would expect a $17 roll to be great. We sent it back and asked to remove it from our bill and the manager was dead set against it. They ended up doing this, but it just seemed that they weren't interested in our business. I never have a problem paying for good sushi, but at those prices, I had higher expectations.Special Features:
- Cute date spotgandnikVIPDined on 10/9/2014Sushi Roku used to be a spot we frequented often. The sushi was really good and the patio can't be beat. Now the patio is still amazing and a cool atmosphere. The sushi is not as good as it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasadena Night Out.CollegeBoy24Dined on 9/26/2014The restaurant is fantastic and the food is always great but the service under new management is more than lackluster and that's being nice. They took half an hour to bring one dish and we asked several times as to what was going on with no answer. The server Trinity is lackluster at best. She is not attentive; she is nonchalant and lost in space and quite frankly quite rude. It seems like she doesn't want to be there. It was an awful experience. The food is great but make sure to not get her as a server.Special Features:
- flavorhorVIPDined on 8/30/2014Amazing flavors in everything we ordered. The sea bass and popcorn shrimp are over the top delicious. Not your typical popcorn shrimp. Everything so fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Feast, ended up with reg menusemifinediningDined on 8/23/2014Came here with a friend for the Red Feast and Beer Garden Saturday that Pasadena holds. This is their 4th year holding this event. The music and ambience was great. The service was not so great in that it was unattentive. The last time I visited Sushi Roku was back in 2006. I don't recall the server's name but she had told us that we weren't able to order items off the Red Feast while sitting at the patio area. After glancing at the menu, it didn't seem that great compared to their regular menu. The skewers were good, baked cod was good, the Makoto roll was not very good - oversauced in my opinion. Yellowtail sashimi appetizer could've used different seasoning. I will likely not be back for a while as there are other better options.Special Features:
- Outstanding Sushi and VideLASportsNutDined on 8/23/2014I am a regular at Sushi Roku in Pasadena and there is a reason. The food, the atmosphere and the staff are great. I highly recommend this location if you are a sushi lover. The prices are a little higher than most places but you are paying for freshness.Special Features:
- Great Place NormallyLASportsNutDined on 8/9/2014I am a regular here and they normally have great service. However, for some reason this visit they were understaffed. It looked like they may have been in the middle of shift change as I saw a lot of personnel coming and going. It was unfortunate as our waitress was just too busy with too many tables and she was having trouble keeping up with drink orders, let alone food orders. The normal serving staff did not appear to be in place like normal, causing our food order to come out late and sporadic. I was unsure if the chiefs were understaffed as well. I would just say they were having a bad day due to call in's or scheduling issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a faveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Whatever I've had, I love. Service is good too. All around, always a great dining experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingTrissDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I had a wonderful experience there. Our server was sweet always checking to make sure if we were enjoying our meal and always inquired if any additional items were needed. I didn't even ask but the server surprised us with a delicious sorbet with a candle for my husband's birthday. They even wrote on the plate (in chocolate) "Happy Birthday" and personalized it with his name. Above and beyond altogether a wonderful experience. Not to mention the food was delicious and fresh, it's rare to find a good sushi restaurant-- yet this one had AMAZING sushi. Everything was fresh, even the simplest sushi we ordered melted in your mouth. We had to try the King Crab Fried Rice-- I've never had anything better. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MegustacomerMegustacomerDined on 7/26/2014Consistently good sushi. Love the spicy edamame. Service always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014We arrived on Saturday Evening at 6pm and sat at the bar (it was Happy Hour and not crowded). We had to ask for service on 3 separate occasions. Our server only came by after requesting her. It was like we didn't exist. Food was good but service was terrible. Very disappointed!
- DineLaRandiCDined on 7/19/2014Great location in old town Pasadena, great Prix Fixe Menu, friendly servers , hands down the best sushi I've had in a while! Only drawback was the service lagged a bit even at 5 before the big dinner rush. Must try the king crab sushi with the champagne butter it was heavenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little expensivecarolDined on 7/19/2014Their dineLA menu is really well chosen, you can have a taste of everything. But it's a little expensive. I wish they gave us the option of skipping the dessert, which is good but not amazing. Their food is Japanese-Mexican fusion, which is interesting, so a lot of sushis have avocado, guacamole, etc. I loved to tuna with truffles and the king crab with sauce. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itDee923Dined on 7/18/2014Overpriced for mediocre food. I was hoping the service would make up for it, but that was also disappointing..Special Features:
- Really GoodSushiRokuPasadenaDined on 7/18/2014I have been there before and enjoyed it. This time was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an excellent experienceDonnaDined on 7/16/2014I had wanted to dine here for some time, but it is pricey. Luckily Dine LA week coincided with our anniversary week. Our server Michael could not have been nicer or more attentive and even brought us a special (extra) plate and decorated our dessert plate with "Happy Anniversary".Special Features:
- Fish and decorLightsOutDined on 7/12/2014Compared with some other sushi places, like neighbor Kabuki, Roku delivers really high quality fish. High grade sushi with great, friendly and energetic service make Roku a fun place to dine. The decor is fun and elegant. Overall Roku delivers a great dining and entertainment experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful foodSteakloverVIPDined on 7/12/2014Not been to Sushi Roku for awhile and now I know why. Wow what happend to their food!!! The prices have gone up and the portions have gotten smaller. I'm not one to complain about price I will pay if the food is great. We order a lot of items, but let me tell you that with every dish one was worst then the other. There were 3 of us which my husband does not eat seafood so he opted to order the chicken dish they have on the menu. He asked the server what he thought of the dish and even the server said it is nothing special in which after he tried it said he was right. I dont think we will every be back here again. There are a lot better sushi spots even if you have to pay higher prices at least you get eddible food.
- Great solid placeDGEGCGVIPDined on 7/10/2014always good, always consistent. it is a great place in a great neighborhood.
- Can't Go Wrong SushiLASportsNutDined on 7/3/2014I have been to Sushi Roku over 40 times. This place is a gem. I love the food, the service, and the atmosphere. The prices are not the cheapest you will find, but you get what you pay for. Great place for a first date or a special occasion.Special Features:
- The following 427 reviews are from the Sushi Roku - Pasadena reviews archive.
- Good sushi, so-so servicePLMWVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have dined at Sushi Roku many times. It's always reliable for good sushi, but recently the service levels have really dropped. It just takes too long and the servers are not well-informed, which is not good in a sushi restaurant. We will be looking for a new higher end sushi place.Special Features:
- Amazing food and friendly serviceBayAreaVIPDined on 6/16/2014Sushi Roku has a nice outdoor and indoor setup. The food and service are always exceptional!Special Features:
- Bad servicealfmetalsDined on 6/14/2014It was hard to get the attention of wait staff. Food was so poorly timed. Two of us finished all of our food before the other two got theirs. Even when we pointed this out, it took another 10 minutes for the foodless diners to get anything. We mentioned the issue to the manager, who apologized but made no offer to make it up to us. When we finally wrangled someone to give us our check because we were going to be late for a movie, the waitress asked if we wanted a dessert because we'd had to wait. Too late! Being proactive in making up for the poor service would have helped them earn some points back. Food was fine. Unremarkable. Muscle was left on scallop sashimi.
- Nice ExperienceOssieDined on 6/12/2014Celebrated daughter's graduation, Roku was the nearest sushi. Had a mediocre experience at the branch on 3rd years a go, so we were reluctant, not fond of chain restaurants,However this was surprisingly pleasant. Had to remind hostess about the event(do they ever read notes-what's the point?)she acknowledge that, yet did not congratulate. Inversely our server was fantastic, attentive , knowledgable, recommended some good rolls and sake. Spicy tuna was not spicy and just ok but the speciality rolls were fresh and delicious. Prices r reasonable, especially the vast sake selection, atmosphere is more of a restaurant than a bar and decor was fine, a bit dark(no photos on site). A good choice for someone living in the area. Felt a bit touristicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, some small issuesGoodMPGDined on 6/2/2014Two couples looking to enjoy another terrific meal at one of our favorite places. One chair at the first table can't be pulled out unless you want to sit among the rocks. No problem, move to a good table. Order a pear martini from their drink menu. Sorry, no pears on Monday. No problem, plenty of good cocktails still to be had. Order a nice bottle of French white wine. Sorry, out of that wine. Eventually settle on a bottle of white from the by-the-glass list. Fortunately, the server is very sweet about all this and the meal is fantastic. Great sashimi, fresh and tasty. Amazing soft shell crab and toro rolls. Dessert is three large profiteroles with a rich vanilla ice cream. A possible bad experience saved by a good server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MegustacomerMegustacomerDined on 5/31/2014Decent sushi. Very good service. More noise than I like but not badI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJanLDined on 5/30/2014The food was great, ambiance was great, service was great and the place was packed! Just a bit noisy for conversation. I didn't realize there was a TV at the bar and a Kings playoff game. You know the rest. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLaurieSVIPDined on 5/27/2014My family went to celebrate a special birthday. The restaurant did not disappoint. Food was excellent and beautifully served. The service was attentive and professional. I would definitely go back soon.Special Features:
- IMPRESSEDPassAmbassadorVIPDined on 5/24/2014I appreciate your hospitality Saturday night. I had such a great time. This was only my second time dining at your restaurant so I had no idea how diverse and delicious your menu was. The food was amazing and the service was outstanding! I definitely reccommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance with great foodFrequentdiner365VIPDined on 5/13/2014Sushi roku offers great sushi, great grilled items and overall a consistent and inviting experience. Staff works hard to please, Lance our server was impeccable and John the busboy was attentive and professional. Sushi and oysters are always fresh and portions are perfect. The black cod was delicious and perfectly tender, something I would definitely recommend and get again. Can't wait to go back to Sushi roku.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Lucky enough to get a last minute reservation on Mother's day. 2:30 pm was a good lucky time. My daughter and I loved you. We were bummed you were out of the oysters. Love oysters and heard your is awesome. We will be back again soon. Everything was great. Our host Brian was super friendly and knowledgeable. He recommended the kobe beef with asparagus and it was delicious. The tofu appetizer was so cool and so good. So many different tastes. Everything was good, the sushi, appetizers. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arigato gozaimasu!!! See you again real soon.Special Features:
- Bamboo beautyFoodmavenVIPDined on 5/6/2014Great sashimi and shisito peppers. Teriyakis not so good. Bargain lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Roku.....a must!WackychicDined on 4/28/2014A must! Food that is beautiful and equally yummy! Try the happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd greeting...MDLRVIPDined on 4/25/2014Really enjoy sushi Roku whenever I come. On occasion I get seated on the sidelines which I really don't like because the person seated toward the wall sees absolutely nothing and that makes me feel like I'm on timeout. The one thing I really do not like is the loud unnecessary greeting as everyone comes through the door (sounds like they're saying Nick Lashay). I think it cheapens the experience it makes it feel more like Tokyo Delves in North Hollywood. Not to knock TD, but that's not what I'm having dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014Decided to give this place a try and walked away very disappointed. This place is very overpriced and the sushi was not that great. I will continue going to Ichima in Pasadena for my sushi. Ichima has excellent sushi and decent prices. Paying $13 for 5 SMALL steamed shrimp dim sum is ridiculous. Our usual appetizer at Ichima is 6 pieces of gyoza for $4.50. Give Ichima a try and save your money!
- Excellent food & fantastic servicejiffypopVIPDined on 4/17/2014Been here a bunch and have to say it was another great night. Our server in particular was excellent. We have our usual favorites and she made some great new recommendations. Not to mention the dirty martini I ordered was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/16/2014i left hungry, my seaweed salad was over dressed and my avocados on my rainbow roll were bruised.
- Good ambiance, interesting attemptsFoodhoundVIPDined on 4/6/2014In all, it was no more than mediocre food. The food was not frankly bad, but for the price paid there is far superior sushi to be had in Los Angeles county. The ambiance and service was, however, above average. Just don't go there expecting a fine meal.