1900 Clarendon Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushirockva.com/
- Phone: 5713128027x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm;
Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Munehiro Yonemoto
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi Rock is a very happy to cater any event. Please contact us to learn more.
- Special Events: We look forward to hosting your next event or large group! Please contact us to learn more.
A word from Sushi Rock
Sushi Rock is a combination of love, passion and perspective. It is the love to eat good food and drink well while doing so with great people. In providing the place for people to do this, Sushi Rock represents the perspective that both can be done in a fun and entertaining environment full of energy. Sushi Rock embodies the opportunity to be the local watering hole, the destination, the cozy meet-up place, the big group place or the special event place. Whatever the patrons needs, we believe Sushi Rock is the one place where everyone can feel comfortable in any size group sharing themselves, sharing a drink, and/or sharing good food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sushi Rock - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Sushi Rock reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (32)hot spot (25)fit for foodies (23)vibrant bar scene (17)romantic (14)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Usually Great but...Rstewart12VIPDined on 10/17/2014Sushi Rock is usually an outstanding place, our last dining out here, was bit off. The waitress (which we saw a cumulative 3 times) was less than attentive. It was less than 'busy' however, she was MIA most of the evening. I spoke with the management, and he was very sorry for less than 'stellar' service I'm used too here. The key to dining here is 'be near the bar' or on the first floor. The saying 'out of sight' is very appropriate here.. as long as you sit next to the bar or down stairs, you are fine, sitting upstairs and away from the action could be a contributory factor to our not so good experience.Special Features:
- FoodArasaDined on 10/10/2014New way to enjoy sushi. Variety of starters and entries and presentations. Great place for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014I love this place! Amazing food. Excellent customer service. I am definitely looking forward for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Keeps Getting More AwesomeHarshCriticDined on 10/3/2014We've been fans of Sushi Rock since Steve Yoon took over and started making the best sushi in town. But he just keeps making the restaurant and bar more exciting and more desirable. This time we took a party of 6, three of whom had never been there before. They raved about the place! The restaurant was so packed that we ended up in the upstairs lounge area upstairs and, frankly, that was even more fun than the main room. My fear is that more people will find out about this gem and we won't be able to get in anymore....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiKyDaDined on 9/26/2014We've spent so long looking for a good sushi restaurant. This was our third time in month. We love the steamed buns. Food always comes out super quick. The free sake tasting was a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Rock Rocks!ralyceloweDined on 9/26/2014We went during the week of sake tasting and had a fantastic time. Their green apple sake is my favorite along with a great house hot sake. I recommend the buns, any of them! :) If you like spice and cream cheese then the Volcano Roll is for you. Ask for T!Special Features:
- allysonDined on 9/17/2014Maybe it was just an off night maybe this is par for this place, i'm not sure and frankly I am not going to return to check it out. We were seated and ordered edamame immediately it never came. The food took forever and when it did arrive my short ribs were congealed and super fatty and my husbands sushi was just ok. We don't get very many date nights and were really disappointed that we wasted it on this establishment. The manager was very nice and apologetic but over stayed at our table trying to apologize. I really really wanted to like this place.
- Funky sushi and Fun drinks!NYFoodieDCDined on 9/16/2014Have been going to Sushi Rock when it was the new kid on the block (even the homes across the street were not built yet). Enjoyed the creative sushi and sashimi rolls and fun names for their specialty drinks. Sushi chefs may have changed a bit with their designs and presentations, but the rolls are still quite yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Hostess ServiceDonnaDined on 9/12/2014We made a reservation and the hostess was rude to us.Special Features:
- Last minute Saturday night outOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014We're looking for somewhere different, not our usual run of the mill evening out places in Clarendon. Tired of the Asian places in Rosslyn we decided to try Sushi Rocks and we very surprised. All the foods we tried were excellent; sampling the sushi, buns, edamame, lettuce wraps and finishing off with the mochi. We will be going back and we recommend it.Special Features:
- lost somethingcodyDined on 8/22/2014I have been here several times but not sure what the problem was this time. Poor service and lack of interest in customer service really ruined a good evening. I went a bit later than usual and maybe that was the issue.
- Sushi Rock 3rd VisitSImhungryDined on 8/17/2014The menu is really good. Our server was very attentive. He came by and checked to make sure we were ok almost every 10 minutes. It almost felt annoying, but I rather have someone check on me than having no service at all). We had early dinner, which was around 5:00-5:15pm; and we were the only ones there, but as soon as 5:30/5:45 came, it was filling up fast. The only issue is, that once it fills up, it gets pretty loud. I was barely able to hear my guest, so you will have to speak up. I almost wanted to move outside. Other than that, I'm still going to eat here. It was an overall good experience as always.Special Features:
- Delicious & Great AtmosphereGoodEatsDined on 8/15/2014This place offered delicious food, great service and with a fantastic outdoor atmosphere on the patio. I highly recommend Sushi Rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanting moreFoodforThoughtDined on 8/13/2014I was with a friend and we were seated by the door at a table for two. The noise level was also so high that I could barely here my friend we both had to keep asking "What?". This also was an issue with the waiter who was attentive but soft spoken and could barely hear our order. We got the seaweed salad and the chicken skewers to start. Both were good but the seaweed salad was sitting in a strange liquid that made it less appealing the more you ate. For dinner we ordered a Philadelphia roll, a salmon roll and the you shook me all night long roll. The first two rolls were unremarkable. The you shook me roll was had such a strong smoky taste that you couldn't taste any other ingredients. It honestly tasted like the smell of a campfire.
- A Nice Neighborhood PlaceparttimefoodieDined on 8/9/2014This place is located in a residential area across from an apt bldg. Appeared to have lots of locals on a Sat night. The foods are good, the sushi is smaller than normal so more expensive. The service is very good. They have guitars decorating a wall and cymbals as overhead lamp shades, neat. the bar is nice and in the same area as the dining. There is a 2nd floor dining area which is a little quieter, it overlooks the main dining room.Special Features:
- Excellent new sushi placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014Young and vigorous. Sushi was fresh. Saki tasting appreciated.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014Nice spot to grab dinner. They have tons of creative specialty rolls which are well priced for the area. Sushi came quickly and our server was very courteous and prompt. Zero complaints.Special Features:
- The Sushi Does Not RockLampedusa7990VIPDined on 8/5/2014Ironically, the sushi was lacking at this place... What happened to artfully inspired presentations of sushi on slender, rectangular plates? My specialty roll was served in a bowl (!) with the pieces of sushi arranged flat-down in the bottom of the bowl. It was both weird and visual trickery. The sushi roll was not especially tasty or aesthetically pleasing. In addition, the draft beer was rather warm. Overall, a lackluster experience.
- Great Choices!foodie1335Dined on 7/31/2014Sushi Rock offered so many quality options that we and my boyfriend did not know where to start! We are huge on sharing plates and this was the perfect place to do so without breaking our budget. There were tons of appetizer options but our server recommended the hot buns which were AMAZING! We could have ordered three more orders. After that we shared several different rolls and they all were fabulous. There is something for everyone on this menu! Definitely a place to check out.Special Features:
- BreannaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Sushi rock has a unique design on the inside. Very cool piano-table. Our waiter gave us samples of Saki, Which I was really impressed by. Food was a bit on the expensive side, but was good! Nothing but the design stood out to me. Maybe I'll go again if I were in the area.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/30/2014I love sushi and their fish quality was only so-so. The drink menu was pretty fun, however. I recommend "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" which is served in a martini glass.Special Features:
- JimMusselsDined on 7/29/2014Good food...Nice ambience...busy during the evenings...needs more wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lackingRWFavoriteVIPDined on 7/22/2014I've been here twice now, and there's something about the service that has always bothered me. It's a little brass at times, and then there are times when it is inattentive. The food is okay -- I've had their sushi, and it's fine, but nothing spectacular. My boyfriend has a strong affinity for their steamed buns appetizer though.
- Just okDiscerningPaletteVIPDined on 7/15/2014Great ambiance. Food was just average Service was good. Sushi was "mushy"Special Features:
- billDined on 7/12/2014Excellent sushi and sashimi. Gyoza and bulgogi are very good alsoSpecial Features:
- Great food - terrible serviceKatyKDined on 7/1/2014Sushi Rock has amazing food - unfortunately though their service leaves much to be desired. I OpenTabled a reservation which they told me they could not honor. Then it took an hour and a half to get our order, of which half was never sent to the kitchen to be made. Overall, it was a disappointing experience.
- Great neighborhood findramseywannabeDined on 6/28/2014I discovered Sushi Rock when looking for a place to entertain a visiting friend who loves sushi. Great menu variety, including non-sushi offerings. Fresh and tasty. Service was terrific, including a free sake tasting. We sat outside -- spacious patio so tables are not on top of each other. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 391 reviews are from the Sushi Rock reviews archive.
- The Hard Rock of SushiRockLobsterDined on 6/20/2014Great tunes if you like old school metal and rock, food was very good. I would like to try sitting outside next time if the weather is nice.Special Features:
- Sublime SushicassieDined on 6/14/2014Perfect atmosphere for drinks, great sushi and rockin' music. Very vibrant bar scene and great outdoor seating. Had wonderful saki selection, beers and mixed drinks. Along with great Sushi, sashimi, and nigiri selections there are also other Japanese meal items available as well as appetizers for those who may not like sushi. Staff was friendly and service was excellent. The only downside is the music is loud so if you want quiet and cozy this isn't it! Otherwise, I highly recommend. Try the "Stairway to Heaven", "Light my Fire" and "Volcano" rolls-- yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.Special Features:
- great neighborhood go tohappyeatsDined on 6/10/2014The food is consistently good, and the people on staff are great. They have a large outdoor seating area, but get there early because on nice days it gets full fast. Fun decor inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- billbillDined on 5/31/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant. May become one of my favorites and will recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!sac2Dined on 5/30/2014Good food, drinks and the best sushi chefs around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- De-freaking-licious!StuffByEdDined on 5/24/2014This was our second adventure out to Sushi Rock. The rolls are all unique and delicious. Special nod to the Ziggy Stardust roll. Great for a date, a group, or eating alone.Special Features:
- Very Surprised by Great Lunch!HarshCriticDined on 5/7/2014I had been to Sushi Rock many times for dinner and always loved it. But I had never been there for lunch. The place was busy and now I see why. Chef Steve has introduced several different Bento Box lunches with sliced steak, pork or chicken. I could barely eat all the food they brought and my companions had to take some home. Absolutely delicious. It was so fantastic on Wednesday that I went back again the next day...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiNavilaDined on 5/6/2014You must get the Nachos with wonton chips and the Tornado sushi rolls...the Nachos are HUGE and the sushi roll is to die for! Great service and ambience. Very cool idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodFlorenceDined on 5/3/2014The sushi is pretty good but it's not the best I've had. The fried oysters are not good but everything else is decent enough. It's not a place I would revisit, I'll probably try to find another sushi spot. But overall it's not a bad restaurant just not great. A little on the bland side.Special Features:
- SpoonMadeMeFatDined on 5/1/2014Food was amazing however there was not enough wait staff present to accommodate the number of people dining at the restaurant. Our server was very polite and efficient despite the high volume of customers. Once food/drink orders were placed there was minimal delay. It was just getting someone to acknowledge our table and tend to us that took twenty minutes.Special Features:
- Sushi Rock Rocks!PeaharpVIPDined on 4/20/2014The sushi here is the very best and freshest I have found Arlington. Chef/owner Steve Yoon has made the menu better since the change of ownership and he is super attentive to his customers. Fresh, unique flavor combinations and authentic sushi and noodle dishes. LOVE the braised short ribs, Light my fire roll, Shrimp Shumai soup, Pork Katsu, and yummy sake and cocktails like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Mary Jane's Last Dance (both with Lychee, my favorite!) They have great nightly drink specials, like half off wine, draft, or rail- depending on the night. This is our go-to neighborhood place and I love to sit outside on the patio when the weather's nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No brunch menu availableSodisappointedDined on 4/20/2014we booked Sunday brunch reservations. We walked in and stood for a while before someone seated us and passed out the dinner menu. I went up and asked for thebrunch menu and was told that there wasn't a brunch menu that you choose this and included is this and that. The hostess rattled off a lot of information and then said its $50pp. I asked about the kids,$50 for our children to eat brunch especially without a menu to even see what your getting is ridiculous and she shrugged her shoulders and said "oh...they could just order a roll or something"we had recommended sushi rock to a few of our friends. I really hope our friends don't go on a Sunday or that the restaurant will print brunch menus and train the staff!
- nothing to write home aboutcia7815Dined on 4/11/2014sushi was average, service was average and ambiance was lacking. the trendy, neon-lit decor and too-loud for dinner conversation music mix (which wasn't really rock most of the time we were there) made for a passable experience. always glad to try new restaurants however this will not be one of our regular spots. go to old town, ax for the best sushi in the area...Special Features: