107 Caledonia St.
Sausalito, CA 94965Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushiran.com/
- Phone: 4153323620
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Organic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Mitsunori Kusakabe & Scott Whittman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi Ran offers exclusive private parties with Sushi Chef on site.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accomodate up to 25 guest for a private dining event on our heated & enclosed patio.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Baccas 4153323620
A word from Sushi Ran
We invite you to enjoy our vibrant fusion of traditional Japanese and Pacific cuisine. Outstanding chefs, great people on the floor and in the kitchen, plus a wine and sake list unparalleled in California. We believe these are the ingredients that have made Sushi Ran one of the top-rated restaurants in the Bay Area. We are passionate about what we do, and take special delight in introducing our guests to new wines, great cuisine, and surprising pairings of food with wine andContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Ran reviews from OpenTable diners
- the only conns is that wemayshamVIPDined on 1/11/2013the only conns is that we were there on friday, alot of the thing were out,other than that, everything was great and will definaly returnSpecial Features:
- After making a reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013After making a reservation, we still had to wait nearly 40 minutes to be seated in a very over crowded "lobby". The food was tasty, but VERY limited for vegetarians, even the "vegetable" dishes, most containing non-vegetarian food items. Many sushi restaurants offer specialty rolls, that are all vegetarian. I'd like to suggest that they offer at least one or two that are creative and thoughtful. The staff were apologetic and tried to make it right by offering a few dishes at no extra charge. If we weren't vegetarian, I'm sure our dining experience would have been fine. It was unfortunate that we had to wait so long. It appeared that they over booked, not wanting to turn business away. Perhaps they should be less overzealous.
- Hadn't been an a while, soOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/10/2013Hadn't been an a while, so was really looking forward. Used to be THE Sushi place in the Bay Area. Food lived up to reputation--fish was fresh, glazed black cod very tasty. But the service stunk. Person who checked us in adamantly claimed (for 10 minutes) we had no OT reservation-- we kept insisting until she figured out that someone else had checked in under our name. So, we got seated in the semi-outside room (only place now left) where the heaters were either too hot or too cold, so they kept turning them on and off to accommodate various diners' comfort levels. My guest had to keep reminding the wait staff to bring the drinks she had ordered-- wine, tea, etc. Felt like they brought everyone in from New York.Special Features:
- Sitting at the sushi bar andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/8/2013Sitting at the sushi bar and ordering omakase is the best!Special Features:
- A bit loud, and crowded, butFedwellDined on 1/5/2013A bit loud, and crowded, but the food was delicious and the service was great. Everyone around us seemed to be enjoying themselves. Highly recommend the Hammachi with grapefruit and yuzu sauce, will not disappoint!Special Features:
- DecliningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013Used to be fit for foodies and connoisseurs alike. Not any more. Increasingly missing menu items. Bad, cynical service.
- Great restaurant. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/1/2013Great restaurant. However, I thought it was odd that if you were seated at a table instead of the sushi bar, you couldn't order some sushi items (and had to order only from the selected list on the menu). Otherwise, everything was excellent!
- The seaweed salad was delectableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/1/2013The seaweed salad was delectable - at least 5 different kinds of seaweed in a beautiful dressing. Other appetizers (vegetable tasting assortment, scallop-chive dumplings) were wonderful. Tempura prawns were good - nothing special - but overpriced ($13 for 3) as was the sushi. Parking can be a real hassle. In summary, the sushi was not spectacular but the bill was.Special Features:
- an absolute and exquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/1/2013an absolute and exquisite taste experience. SUPERB, SIMPLY!!!Special Features:
- Welcome to 2013!costosVIPDined on 12/31/2012What a perfect way to end 2012 and begin the New Year! The four of us wanted to make no decisions about dinner so we asked the owner, Yoshi Tome, to decide on the menu and a Sake tasting to pair with the courses. We started of with a warm Sake take the chill off the cold evening. Then came the vegetable sampler (kale with dates, artichoke hearts with fried quinoa, and brussels sprouts kimchi) and the first three of seven amazing Sake samples! This was followed by four of the most succulent pieces of sushi. Next came a spicy tuna roll and a crunch roll, followed by perfect tempura shrimp and an extraordinary Maitake mushroom tempura with a sake based zabaglione! The signature Black Cod and Shaking Beef ended the feast! BRILLIANT!Special Features:
- Delicious!marSFDined on 12/31/2012Fantastic sushi, always the best! Be prepared to spend some $$$ though....Special Features:
- Great sushi!HelenDined on 12/29/2012Great welcome to a very nice restaurant! Food was simply amazing, waitress was very attentive and helpful with questions and inquiries. Great service, bus boy always attentive so there were no empty plates on the tableSpecial Features:
- Absolutely fabulous. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2012Absolutely fabulous. Great menu that satisfies sushi lovers and others. Great selection of wines beers and sake.Special Features:
- Good, but slippingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2012Sushi Ran was on par w/the best sushi places in Boston, but not NYC, LA or Tokyo and or Kyoto. The fish was very FRESH ... they served the best sashimi scallops I've ever had. But the excitement and sense of adventure in the food was missing. If I want that and a Japanese approach, I'll go to Nojo in SF. My nephew who's lived in both Tokyo and Kyoto appreciated the treat of Sushi Ran, but asked next time to go to Nojo. I think Sushi Ran needs a little of that sense of excitement and adventure reinvigorated in its approach. Still, very good.Special Features:
- Delight, once again!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/27/2012Every time I dine at Sushi Ran I realize what a gem it is. Food was superb, as always.Special Features:
- Excellent Japanese cuisineLa6BelleDined on 12/27/2012Excellent Japanese cuisine beautifully presented. Noise was not a problem this time because we were seated in the small dining room away from bar activity.Special Features:
- Usually excellent. They seemFoodieDined on 12/27/2012Usually excellent. They seem to have traded in wild salmon for less expensive farmed salmon. It is a loss in quality and flavor. Otherwise, the food is beautifully prepared and consistently delicious. Be sure to get an experienced server. The only bad experience we have ever had at Sushi Ran was caused by a young server who didn't know what he was talking about, and did not follow through on anything he said to us.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012I surprised my husband by taking him here for lunch for his birthday. Everything was delicious! The service was excellent! And we both loved the look of the restaurant! It was an amazing first experience for both of us.Special Features:
- Every dish was prepared withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Every dish was prepared with great care. Staff were very attentive even for lunch. Amazing sake list!Special Features:
- Best experience in the Bay AreaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012Wonderful! Every time that I have the pleasure of eating at Sushi Ran I am excited to find new creations that are delicious (along with the standard items we order). NEVER a bad experience.Special Features:
- Service was fairly slow. TookOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012Service was fairly slow. Took 30 minutes to get a salmon and avocado roll.Special Features:
- This is a great place, veryChrisDined on 12/19/2012This is a great place, very enjoyable. My wife and I were out for our anniversary with our children. The servers were great, and very attentive to our needs and so detail oriented. This is the second time we have been there, and have loved it both times. A favorite in the area for us. You can't go wrong here, the crunch roll is amazing!Special Features:
- Delicious. Nice options. DefinitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/19/2012Delicious. Nice options. Definitely use parking lot behind building. Hard to find but street parking was impossible. Dessert sampler was to die for.Special Features:
- Wonderful staff! Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/19/2012The food has always been top notch. This time the restaurant staff helped make my sister's wedding proposal so special. From the owner, manager, server, hostess & busser, everyone helped make the surprise proposal play out perfectly. Thank you Sushi Ran!Special Features:
- The fundamental question withIndiefoodieVIPDined on 12/16/2012The fundamental question with Sushi Ran is whether its good value. The suchi is fresh and unique but the tab is huge. I love sushi but I don't love it enough to spend $75 per head for dinner, sake included.Special Features:
- The hostess was very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/15/2012The hostess was very nice. We had a reservation, but we came about an hour earlier. She helped us to find an empty table and seat us right away. Service: fast for a busy Saturday dinner time. waiter and the bus boy come often to refil the tea, clean table, and ask how we're doing Food: really like the sashimi because we can taste the fishSpecial Features:
- Sushi Ran was rated as a topOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/15/2012Sushi Ran was rated as a top Japanese restaurant in the U.S. by Yahoo and thus I had to try it out. The food wasn't as splendid as the review stated. Perhaps I was expecting a more authentic Japanese restaurant but not a good U.S.-Japanese restaurant. Food was good, service was attentive, and with a fair price. Although I cannot give over 3 star on food, it is one of the better Japanese restaurants you can find in area.Special Features:
- Best Sushi and Pacific cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2012The best sushi ever... Definitely a gem of a restaurant. Freshest suhsi. The sea bass just melted in your mouth. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always awesome. Fish, wineTheRealSteakmanVIPDined on 12/13/2012Always awesome. Fish, wine and staff make it worth the investment. Always like to sit at the sushi bar and get whatever the chef's want to serve. Really great experience and proud to have it in Sausalito.Special Features:
- Fabulous food but the decibelLa6BelleDined on 12/13/2012Fabulous food but the decibel level verges on intolerable. My request for a quiet table was honored, but unfortunately, two tables of exceedingly noisy diners were seated after we arrived. Diners shouted rather than conversed at normal volume. It was a double whammy: alas, the conversational content was dull!Special Features:
- by far the best sushi in MarinOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/12/2012by far the best sushi in Marin - probably even the bay area - and to boot, the service is stellar! All the good you have undoubtedly heard about Sushi Ran is all true!
- Great sushi, very expensiveadamvaughtDined on 12/10/2012As advertised, great sushi, great non sushi apps (kimchee brussel sprouts), very expensive
- Have been to sushi ran manyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/8/2012Have been to sushi ran many times over 7yrs their food used to be exceptional but this last visit I found it to be average certainly not warranting their exceptionally high prices. Sushi ran is no longer worth the trip!
- Order the salmon citrus (incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/4/2012Order the salmon citrus (incredible)! It's not on the menu, but they'll make it for you if you ask. The vegetable trio sampler is absolutely delicious. Highly recommend ordering it. End your meal with the ice cream martini. Service is always good. Ambiance (for both sides) is rich and intimate. You MUST make a reservation or you'll wait forever no matter what day of the week.Special Features:
- Restaurant is in a beautifulMikeg14Dined on 12/1/2012Restaurant is in a beautiful location in Sausalito. Atmosphere is cozy and quiet. Food excellent. The Toro was amazing! Service was also extremely good. Wait staff knowledgeable and attentive. The only downfall is that it is pricey but worth the money for a overall experience!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!DKMULVIPDined on 11/30/2012Excellent food as always. We have been going to Sushi Ran for six years, and have never been disappointed. This trip we particularly loved the soft shell crab roll, and the scallop dumplings. Could have eaten several plates of each.Special Features:
- Not as good as I thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2012Food was decent not as good as I though it was going to be. The vegetables sampler, the dessert sampler, and the shaking beef were all excellent. The tuna poke tasted old and refrigerated. Everything else was mediocre including all the rolls and the sashimi I had, tasted like something you can have at any sushi place. The service was probably the best thing they had going. Place was overpriced for the quality.
- Sushi Ran is simply my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/23/2012Sushi Ran is simply my favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. Yoshi, the owner, makes Sushi Ran so excellent, with his high standards and warm presence. Scott, the chef, is always working on the menu to make sure everything is perfect. Even when you think an item on the menu is the best--they will make a little tweak to make it even better, and even more interesting, or add a new menu item that is amazing--like the brussel sprouts right now. I have been eating at Sushi Ran for 2 decades and the quality of their delicious food and professional service has always been at the top.Special Features:
- We have heard great thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2012We have heard great things about sushi ran. In fact my cousin got engaged here and said it was her favorite restaurant. My husband got a new job recently and this restaurant was the first one that popped into my mind. We have been looking forward to trying it for awhile. I hate to be writing this review but my experience was just really poor. We were seated in their outdoor seating area. I really did not like the area we were seated at and did not like the side of the restaurant either. Our server was fine. He was helpful but did not suggest any dishes. We ordered everything from sushi rolls, tempura, nigiri, and some hot plates. Personally my favorite was the trumpet mushrooms. Its the only dish i thought was good.
- Way overpriced and only average!OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/18/2012Way overpriced and only average. Will not be back.