3201 Louisiana Street
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sushi-raku.com/
- Phone: 7135268885
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: Regular Menu Only; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 12:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday 4:00 - 10:00, Tuesday - Friday 4:00 - 7:00, Saturday 12:00pm - 7:00pm, Sunday 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chef Taka
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Special catering available please contact with our catering department at email@example.com Sushi Raku is capable of doing off site catering. Catering menu will be also listed on sushi-raku.com
- Entertainment: The Restaurant is 6800 sqft with a full bar & lounge area that features hippest furnishings from well-know designers. the bar/lounge area is separated by 60,000lbs of crimson red ropes that creates a dynamic and dramatic atmosphere when lights are dimmed. Three private rooms are available ranging from 10 - 25 people. Giantic oil paintings are being displayed in the private rooms. Local artist could always been found working on the different paintings. Japanese Specialty & rare fish are flow in weekly from Japan's Tsukiji fish market. Daily special menu includes fresh catch and wine special
- Special Events: We are constantly hosting special events that benefits various charities. Sake Tastings & Sake Dinners just to name a few. Please join us On Facebook: Sushi Raku & Twitter: Sushiraku to find out our next event!
- Cross Street: Elgin
- Public Transit: Houston Rail System is just 3 blocks away!!!
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Options: Complimentary valet parking available, Attached 3 story parking garage, High Fashion Fabric's Lot & Empty lot diagonal across from the restaurant adjacent to High Fashion Fabric's building
A word from Sushi Raku
Houston's Premier Sushi Bar - The only one in Houston that bring freshest fish from world's famous "Tsukiji Fish Market" - Japan Through the magic of Fedex "Next Day Air". Swanky meets sushi at a new restaurant in Midtown, where the modern can go to mingle. Nestled in the heart of midtown, Sushi Raku is combining age old cooking techniques and modern day ingredients. Executive Taka Sekiguchi brings his mastery of the cuisine to the Raku kitchen, with more than 15 years of experience in Japanese and Pan-Asian cooking. Taka honed his culinary skills working in Japan at traditional Japanese restaurants including Sankafu and Shokudo En. Taka approaches traditional Japanese dishes as if they were works of modern art. The superior ingredients are the building blocks of inspiration and the plates are crafted to please both the palate and the eye. Efforts are always made to use local produce and seafood items are shipped daily. Taka’s Texas fancy is evident in creative standoutS.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi Raku reviews from OpenTable diners
- Doors lockedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/16/2013We showed up for our lunch reservation and were greeted by locked doors but no indication of why they were locked. There were workers inside but no sign of any other diners. Is this place closing down?
- Freshest Sushi in Houston by farOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/16/2013We are avid sushi eaters, and I can easily say that Sushi Raku has THE FRESHEST sushi I have ever had in Houston! Everything from the rice, to the seaweed, down to the fish was perfect. Can't believe it took me so long to find it. Was surprised how few people were there on a Friday night. Spread the word - we don't want this restaurant to go under!Special Features:
- Turned of the lights mid-meal...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/6/2013We weren't impressed by the fact that the staff started turning off the lights within 10 minutes of serving our meal - in an attempt to tell us to hurry up, eat and get out of there. If you want to close early, don't accept 9:30 pm dinner reservations. The food was mediocre at best for the price.
- Sushi Raku does it right...greatchularanchVIPDined on 11/27/2012Sushi Raku does it right...great food, service, atmosphere and location.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem with veryLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/10/2012Neighborhood gem with very good sushi. Not sure why all the poor reviews recently, but the food, service, ambiance were all very good on this Saturday night visit. The place is large with a cool bar space that overlooks Elgin and the street. The main dining area was comfortable and the low noise level allowed for great diner conversation. But, go for the food not the ambiance. The food is the star here.Special Features:
- Raku used to be one of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012Raku used to be one of our fav place to go for sushi (we had our engagement party there). the place was always packed....busy....and give us a sense of being young....hip....and fun. we were a little surprised when we visited this place again for my husband's birthday... as soon as we stepped in... the place some how feels old and depressed. We found out from our waiter... they now have a new person in charge. The service was not as good as before either... our waiter was forgetful and not very well trained. The place was not packed as before.... but some how we still had to wait for a long time for our orders. It's sad to see our fav place now seems depressing.Special Features:
- Raku is good Sushi for theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012Raku is good Sushi for the downtown area. Hot rocks is a great appetizer....Special Features:
- Food was good. Running 15OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Food was good. Running 15 mins late, held reservation. Upon arrival dead...15-20% occupied at 8:00 PM on a Saturday night.
- Don't Bother!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2012The music was so loud we could not hear each other or our waiter. Food was overpriced and absolutely horrible. Our server brought my meal 10-15 minutes before bringing my husband's. The place was empty (at 7 pm on a Friday) so there was really no reason for bad service. Two thumbs down!
- Excellent dining experience,iOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2012Excellent dining experience,i would definitely recommend. The sushi was delicious and the bacon wrapped scallops were definitely a treat!Special Features:
- Romantic sushi dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2012Great service and great place for sushi anniversary dateSpecial Features:
- Food and servie was great!EBEBVIPDined on 6/25/2012Food and servie was great! I really do love their lunch special!Special Features:
- Not AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012Excited about going after reading the reviews, more excited about leaving. The hostess was playing on her phone when we arrived and then tried to seat us at the booth closest to the door. The restaurant was very empty? So, we asked to be moved and she kind of rolled her eyes and moved us. The food presentation was sub par. Again, I wasn't expecting Nobu, but at least garnish your 12" plate so it doesn't look so bare when the sushi arrives. It was a $100 I could have spent elsewhere.
- Still great food, but service???GrCruVIPDined on 5/26/2012It was Memorial Day weekend, not busy, but service was way too slow. Food still delicious. Not enough issues to not return, but concerning.Special Features:
- I had a great time and enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2012I had a great time and enjoyed the food and service. I will be returning very soon.Special Features:
- The sushi is always amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/24/2012The sushi is always amazing here. Try the Truffle fried rice; it is a real treat.Special Features:
- Too expensive for what youOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Too expensive for what you get. Doubt that I'll come back. The place was empty, no wonder.It shouldn't be in your top ten list. I am going to start dobting about that list.
- I love the food at Raku. IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2012I love the food at Raku. I just can't stand the music. It doesn't fit the decor, and as the evening progresses it gets louder and louder! It's a restaurant, not a club! All that being said, the sushi is really great.Special Features:
- Raku has a very nice ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2012Raku has a very nice ambiance, good food and good service. I have been there for lunch and dinner, in the evening the ambiance is best.Special Features:
- Great Sushi, but ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/17/2012I found the service outstanding, although I arrived relatively early and did not face a crowded restaurant. The sushi was of excellent quality--I recommend highly the O-toro, if available. My only negative comment about this restaurant is that it's very expensive--more than any other sushi restaurant in Houston. Yes, the quality and service are there, but comparable sushi can be found at another place or two.Special Features:
- The staff at Raku are fantasticDrStevenCVIPDined on 3/15/2012The staff at Raku are fantastic with personalized dining and strive to meet your individual tastes when wanting sushi. They are always hospitable and courteous with the best sushi in Houston.
- Food and service were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2012Food and service were very good, but prices were a little high. Would come back for special occasions.Special Features:
- Raku staff went above andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012Raku staff went above and beyon making the night special!! The little details on the menu and on the table were AMAZING!!Special Features:
- Service and food were fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012Service and food were fantastic. We sat at the sushi bar and the Irish sushi chef, Craig, was awesome. It was my first time eating raw sushi and he was so helpful with selecting the perfect rolls. He was very friendly and kept asking if we needed anything. From the moment we started talking to us he asked if they had already taken our drink order. Very impressed.Special Features:
- We really were impressed whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2012We really were impressed when we got there....We were celebrating a special occasion and it was noted on our table and menu's. Service was good when we got there but somehow turned bad once the bar area got full.We got seated at the bar area and unfortunately the person that started taking care of us no longer could attend to us because she had to attend the bar...Food was delicious eventhough we received them in stages...Drinks had to be ordered 2-3 times before getting them.Overall we loved it but service not too good which was discouraging. Enjoyed the music and ambiance.Special Features:
- Great sushi, great servicePetchemDined on 2/21/2012Great sushi, great service and reasonably priced. Convenient covered parking, with spots available at lunch time, can't say how it would be in the evening.Special Features:
- poor service overshadows great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012our original waiter was also waiting on a large party over 20 people. slow on drinks. the manager and another waiter filled in. so we had several people waiting on us. confusion - we also had to ask the server for more drinks after 30 min. wait at table. we flagged down the mngr. and he provided the best service but failed to remember our order and we did not get some of the items we ordered. ordered uni and waited 45 min to find out they were out. we spent over $350 for 4 people and received poor service by the wait staff. cool dj. minimal bar. nice interior atmosphere and vibe. all being said other tables looked to have better service....so worth a try!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012The food was excellent, and I will eat there again for that. But I recommend never going with a large party. I had a party of 25 ppl and only 1 waitstaff member. In a 3 hour meal I only recieved 2 drinks.
- Usually very good local spotElGuapoVIPDined on 2/14/2012Usually very good local spot but guess the Valentine Crowd hampered quality of service and food. The DJ was very cool that night...
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012The food was great, the atmosphere was amazing, the service unfortunately took forever. I ordered drinks an it took an average time of 15 to 20 minutes to see them (water or alcohol). Same with the food it took about 30 min per plate to come out glad we ordered and appetizer it took close to an hour to see our entrees... Also we requested a booth and were told it would be a small wait which turned to 20 min at the bar, and then only to be given a table (I had a reservation).Special Features:
- The bartender was all overOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012The bartender was all over the place and routinely took over 30 minutes to make a drink. Other than that, the service was excellent, and the sushi, while moderate in quality, was presented well and there was ample selection of unique rolls and combinations. Recommended for a trendy night out with friends, but if you're a true sushi fan look elsewhere.Special Features:
- drink prices were too highOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 2/3/2012drink prices were too high and waitress didn't know the menu. asked for the sashimi combo for $60 and she said it was 9 kinds of fish with 3 or 4 pieces each. Was only 19 pieces so you pay $3 for each piece of sashimi - way overpiced!
- Good tempura, out of one sushihoustonfoodieVIPDined on 2/3/2012Good tempura, out of one sushi special, other was not quite as fresh as in the past.Special Features:
- Loud club type music setshb01VIPDined on 1/27/2012Loud club type music sets Raku apart from other sushi places. Prices are moderately above average. The booth we sat in was short and a bit tight. Lighting is dim and service well intentioned but it seemed our waitress was overloaded. I didn't see many parking options other than the valet stand in the garage (a short walk away from the door). The food was probably the best part but I did my research and went with Yelper recommendations. I'm in no hurry to go back to Raku.Special Features:
- We ate in the bar area. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/27/2012We ate in the bar area. The bartender was very attentive and nice. She made us the drink special cucumber fizz that was absolutely delicious. The soft shell crab sliders were awesome too! We will definitely be ther eagain.Special Features:
- Solid Sushi. Creative smallOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/26/2012Solid Sushi. Creative small plates, but not well priced.
- The food is so fresh and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2012The food is so fresh and the menu is creative and exciting. The staff are knowlegable and helpful. Always a worthwhile experience.Special Features:
- Overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2012Grossly overpriced and definitely overrated. booth seats sunk and service was so so.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2012This is one of my favorite sushi restaurants in Houston that should get more recognition. Fantastic, fresh food and great service!Special Features:
- I love it when I am anticipatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2012I love it when I am anticipating a good dish and it turns out great. We ordered the Reiya appetizer (sea bass, foie gras, gobo, and truffle sauce). The sea bass were large medallians seared with the lightest of panko bread crumbs and dipped in the truffle sauce they really melt in your mouth without the slightest "taste of fish" - then when you includ a bit of the foie gras with the bass the dish really became phenomenal. The rolls, wild king and devil, were large and good, but we both thought the blackened tuna roll was best. The black sesame creme brulee was nice, but I'm not a huge creme brulee fan. Service and speed of receiving food were good to average.Special Features: