Sushi on the Rocks
5252 East 82nd Street
Indianapolis, IN 46220Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sushi on the Rocks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sotrindy.com/index.php
- Phone: 3174367774
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sat : 11:30 am - 10:00 pm;
Sunday : 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: John J Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music - every thursday night
A word from Sushi on the Rocks
Sushi on the rocks offers a unique blend of japenese traditions with a french infusion inspired taste. We cater to all forms of sushi fans. of course sushi, chicken, salmon and steak , not even sushi various kitchen menu items from edamame to Steak ,Continued
Come enjoy our unique ambiance along with a experienced serving staff. That will make your visit a memorable experience.
Come enjoy our unique ambiance along with a experienced serving staff. That will make your visit a memorable experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi on the Rocks reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great for non-sushi & sushi couplesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013The food here is pretty good! My fiance is a big sushi eater but I'm not, so this is a great option where we can both find good food. The sushi was pretty good - my fiance didn't think it was the best in the city, but it still fell into the same "4" category as Naked Tchopstix and Wasabi on 82nd (he thinks the best ones for nigiri shashimi are Wild Ginger in Fishers & TOMO). I thought the sweet and spicy chicken I had was excellent, and so did he, and our appetizers were good too. Overall, good food and a great ambiance.Special Features:
- Good sushi, poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Our waitress had to be asked 3 different times for a glass of water. When we asked her to substitute fried rice for white rice in the dinner, it wasn't given to me with my meal like we had discussed and I already had completed my meal and the fried rice still wasn't brought out so I told her to scratch the fried rice. The food was good the service was poor. I probably won't be back.
- Exceeded Our ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013This was our first visit to the 82nd St location, and we had a wonderful time. Our waitress was very helpful in providing wine suggestions and answering our questions. We ordered the dynamite, hoosier, and scallop mania rolls - they were all delicious! Even the music selection seemed like it was taken directly from my girlfriend's playlist. Finally, using the reservation through OpenTable was smooth as could be.Special Features:
- Best sushi I've found in Indy.HungryHappyDined on 3/11/2013Best sushi I've found in Indy. Don't miss the Snow Mountain Roll or the Playboy roll!Special Features:
- This was our first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013This was our first experience at sushi on the rocks and we weren't too impressed with service. Waited 25 minutes for a drink (waters) then took our wine and beet order after that, server didn't seem too attentive. Tables around us were also wondering what the hold up was. I just wish they had more staff or a better flow for front and back of house because it was just running way too slower for 8:30pm.
- Great sushi!SteegroDined on 3/9/2013We had dinner there on Saturday night, including the sushi deluxe, yakisoba, shrimp tempura, and dynamite roll. All of the food was great. Our server let us know the sushi bar was busy, but we were not in a rush and enjoyed the pace of dinner. I would highly recommend SOTR if you are in the mood for some great sushi!Special Features:
- YummaliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Love Sushi......but finding a restaurant that serves FRESH tasting sushi is my goal. Sushi on the Rocks is FRESH! Service was great as well. Thank you for a great girls night out!!!Special Features:
- Terrible service and kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2013Terrible service and kitchen support. Waited at the table for 20 minutes before we saw our waitress. Waited forever for our order and after dinner order. Waitress was inattentive, rarely coming by the table.Special Features:
- Loved it and we are goingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013Loved it and we are going to make it a monthly spot for me and my gurlsSpecial Features:
- Great sushi! Don't missHungryHappyDined on 2/25/2013Great sushi! Don't miss the Snow Mountain Roll or the playboy roll!Special Features:
- Phenominal sushi but our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2013Phenominal sushi but our waitress was lackluster. We were given one dining menu and one drink menu and it was myself and a friend. Surely a place that demands this price range can splurge for a couple extra menus. She seemed off put by the fact that I couldn't give her my drink order because I had no drink menu. She acted as if I was about to attack her when I provided no tone to support her behavior.Special Features:
- Good for large groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Sushi on the Rocks did a great job of accommodating my large party. The server was friendly and fairly quick on the tables needs.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2013The food is excellent and the price for what you get is reasonable. This was our second visit and it is certainly possible to share one of the sushi roll combos between two people especially with the soup. It wasn't very busy when we arrived at 7:30 pm, but by the time we left it was very busy. We'll absolutely go back.Special Features:
- We went here for my sisterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013We went here for my sister in laws birthday. First time ever so we made reservations. We were sat right away, and then we waited for 20 minutes to even be greeted. Observing the other tables around us, they were looking for a server as well. A young lady finally came and asked if we had a server. She then returned and said she would be taking care of us. She brought us some eggrolls on the house and apologized. We received our food in a timely manner but then we sat around for quite some time. We ordered another order of sushi and it felt like it took 45 minutes to get it. By then, none of us were even hungry anymore. Overall, I would say the service and price just aren't worth returning...ever!
- Delicious food. We had 5 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013Delicious food. We had 5 people in our group; everyone ordered something different; all dishes were wonderful.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, forgettable sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The new 82nd Street location is really nice and has a modern, cool feel. The service was very good. Unfortunately, the sushi was forgettable. I previously ate at the downtown location on a couple of occasions and also thought the sushi was "just Ok" then. SOTR has great atmosphere but if you really want great sushi, this is not the place.Special Features:
- The food is always very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food is always very good. The waitress was also very good. The dining room is often cool during winter. A little too cool. Although very good. We will be back.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013Nothing special. Was a "date night" selection that fell short of expectations. They are billed as sushi and jazz spot but it was more about the game that wasn't even involving local teams. There are better local choices for the food too...
- Had a horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013Had a horrible experience with our server Adrianna. We waited for 10 minutes for drinks and at one point we didn't see or hear from her for 20 minutes. Either her tables were spread out way too much or shes new i dont know just wasnt good. we had 2 drinks each and wouldve had 2 more had she waited on us. We loved the sushi on the rocks downtown, not sure if we will be back. Just wasn't good. Spending $80 on a meal that could've been $120 with an awesome tip instead was paultry at best. Could take that money downtown and have great service anywhere else.
- Terrible and slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Terrible and slow service. We had to go and get staff to check on food twice; no one from the staff came to us to explain, apologize or offer any explanation. We were seated in a back room off main dining area; NOT a good ambiance at all.
- never againFARfromsatisfiedDined on 2/7/2013It took a very long time to get food, the waitress kept forgetting our orders, you didn't get refills on your water until you found your server. The hostess was wearing this big hat that covered her eyes and she seemed so out of it. They have a wall in the middle thats all these tvs and have all these sports games playing. The noise is very loud its hard to hear your group, you have tv noise then live singer and musicians.
- This wasn't terrible, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2013This wasn't terrible, but I really wasn't a fan. Sushi roles were alright and service was kind of slow. The places wasn't packed either.
- NOICE, Friendly service - FINALLY!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/1/2013Drafty and too cold inside... and the place was packed (which usually makes a place warmer). The i on sign (in the round) does nothing for the sound containment. Noisy as ever! 1/2 price sushi on Monday is all fine, but a PUNCH CARD or points card would be so much more enjoyable for those of us who travel 30 mils to eat there (REGULARLY) - just not on Monday.Special Features:
- Food was excellent! The ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/28/2013Food was excellent! The owner is kind, warm, and lovely! Our waitress should not be a waitress ... she forgot what we ordered, had to ask us 3 different times, did not refill water glass until I was obnoxiously succking on the bottom of the glass. Interior is lovely and fun!Special Features:
- Food was pretty good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Food was pretty good. Service was great. Prices are a mix of moderate to really high...Special Features:
- Very UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013When my wife and I walked in, the first thing we saw was a crowded area around the entrance (not many people, just a very small space) and a host sitting on a stool. His computer was sitting on a bar table in front of him and he didn't acknowledge us when we walked in. We stood off to the side of him while he looked at the seating chart on his computer. After a couple of minutes, he got up and seated a couple. It took him a bit to return. I waited for him to sit down and then stepped directly beside him to get his attention. I informed him that we had a reservation. He asked our name and was very quick about getting back to the computer. Entrance needs revision. Sushi was very average but not priced that way. Better is available.
- Great place for an evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013Server was attentive, service was well-paced, food was awesome. Nice atmosphere. Glad we had reservations, they were fully booked. Minor complaints: the martini was way too strong (probably most people would like that, though), the tea tasted awful, and the cold blasted over our table everytime the door opened. Would definitely go back for the food, service and atmosphere.
- Visited Sushi on the RocksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013Visited Sushi on the Rocks for a late lunch on a Saturday. It was quiet with only a few other couples there. The service was good with only one server serving all four couples. The Snow Mountain Roll was especially good, as was the tempura ice cream we had for dessert. This location is more up-scale than their previous downtown location. I would recommend Sushi on the Rocks, especially if you can save some money using a Groupon.Special Features:
- We had a party of 6 for acaseyyummDined on 1/18/2013We had a party of 6 for a friday evening at like 8:30p. We did not get seated until about 8:50 p. This is the only reason I am giving the restaurant a lower score. We all really liked our server and the food. I am a fan of the cooked sushi :)
- Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/5/2013Waited for our food for over 35 minutes, didn't get our order taken for 20 minutes. Food was good but the slow speed ruined it for us.Special Features:
- Great Food! Not so good service....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013I have been to this location a couple of times and will say the sushi is some of the best in town. However,I feel like the terrible service overshadowed the excellent food on this occassion. I made reservations 5 days ahead of time on OpenTable for 3 people for 8:00 PM. We arrived at 7:55 and the hostess was extremely rude and told us that someone was at our table and we most likely wouldn't be sat until 8:30. I asked "What is the point of us having a reservation if it doesn't stand?" She said sir someone is at your table and you can have a seat at the bar.....there were no seats at the bar. Bottom line we didn't get sat until 8:45. Frustrating as this was a Birthday dinner. Our waitress was great but the hostess was not.Special Features:
- Loved it! Could of turnedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013Loved it! Could of turned the music volume down a little though. Had to speak very loudly to my date across the table. But still awesome!Special Features:
- The playboy roll & dancingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013The playboy roll & dancing spider crunchy roll - delicious!Special Features:
- Very good sushi, good presentation.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2013Very good sushi, good presentation. Nice variety of rolls, still trying new ones. We dined early on a Friday evening before the rush and it was quiet. Live music started around 7 pm; that was a pleasant surprise! I hope the sound doesn't get lost during the dinner rush because the place can get very noisy (lots of glass surfaces to bounce noise). Service has been consistently good ... attentive enough to keep water glasses filled but discrete enough to not interrupt conversation. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The soup could be better,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2013The soup could be better, the basic salad with ginger and miso dressing was something I could have made at home, wanna see how a good ginger salad is made try mikado! I paid for chopped lettuce, 2 cherry tomatoes and a slice of cucumber? ! Not impressed. Sishi was okay, probably could have gave better descriptions. Also the wait was insane, apparently it was groupon night. Please improve the soup and salad :(Special Features:
- Good but slowACG22Dined on 12/31/2012We visited SOTR on New Year's Eve. The food was very good; however, the service was poor. We were prepared to forgive a certain amount of slowness due to it being NYE. But the restaurant was nowhere near capacity (at 7pm) and we waited a considerable amount of time for every item ordered. Drinks were especially slow. We ordered quite a variety of rolls and appetizers, and all were very tasty. We will visit again to see if the night was an anomaly.
- New Years EveCeeRockVIPDined on 12/31/2012I honestly enjoyed the service and atmosphere at the downtown location when it was open. We really miss it! This was out first visit to the North location and we enjoyed the same high quality sushi and superior service. The atmosphere was not what we expected compared to the more chillax romantic ambience at the downtown location that we had grown accustom to. Still a very good meal for the price. Only thing we didn't enjoy was the ginger salad dressing. Not very authentic given the heavy citrus tone. Does not pose consistency with any other "ginger" dressing we have ever experienced.Special Features:
- LOVED Sushi on the Rocks.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012LOVED Sushi on the Rocks. We (last minute) decided to go out to eat for New Year's Eve. We got a 6:30 reservation and were seated immediately. We had the most adorable and fun server. We ordered 2 appetizers and 3 rolls of sushi. Everything was phenomenal. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Worse service ever.PapaBearDined on 12/29/2012While the sushi was very good, the service was atrocious. The waitress forgot one of our orders, then when she brought the bill to the table she had double billed for the order that she forgot to serve. Rather than apologize, she blamed us saying well you spoke too softly, which was not true, then she said it was a computer glitch. She should have just apologized. She also forgot to ever serve water and check on us during the evening. Service was some of the worse that we have ever experienced.
- waited over an hour for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012My husband loves sushi and I took him here for his birthday. We waited about 15 minutes before anyone even came over to our table to take our drink order. Then we waited over an hour for our food. The restaurant was not very busy and people that ordered after us had received their food way before us. I was not impressed for the price, the sushi at Kona grill is just as good if not better, and the service there is great. I also had the beef yakisoba. The beef was over cooked and the meal in general was not that great. The atmosphere was nice (the same as the restaurant the was previously in this location). I will most likely not return to this restaurant unless a friend really wanted to go there.Special Features: