Sushi of Gari - Upper East Side
402 East 78th Street
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari - Upper East Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: (212) 517-5340
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masatoshi "Gari" Sugio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do offer catering services for various settings. Please kindly inquire at email@example.com for more detail.
A word from Sushi of Gari - Upper East Side
Welcome to Sushi of Gari! This restaurant is the original restaurant specializing in the wonderful taste of Gari Signature Sushi by Masatoshi GARI Sugio. This restaurant is rather a small establishment, but we offer an amazing Sushi as well as many traditional Japanese dishes. In addition to many very fresh authentic Japanese Sushi, let us surprise you by Gari's originality: some area slightly cooked, or marinated, and served with a variety of home-made sauces or other delicacies which enhance the daily marketfs freshest seafood, many of which are from Japan especially for Sushi of Gari.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi of Gari - Upper East Side reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (22)hot spot (7)romantic (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- All time favourite!dvyyDined on 11/26/2014Best Omakase and excellent service. Amazing that staff remembered my personal preferences and dislikes. A true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beechoDined on 11/19/2014One of the best Omakase meals in the city. High quality sushi mixxing both classic and new styles. Some of the main highlights were the Toro sushi, Tuna tartare sushi and the staple salmon and roasted tomato sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No regretsBeantownAlumnasVIPDined on 11/15/2014Would definitely recommend this place easily. Love the food! Not on the Menu as a generic item but order the a la carte Fluke with quail egg and truffle sauce! It's to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative shusi dinningMoebDined on 11/10/2014Get ready for an unbelievable experience eating shusi! Raw or slightly cook teamed with amazing flavors that Melt in your mouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average sushi at premium pricesGreyhoundFoodieDined on 11/9/2014Have had as good or better sushi at many other places in city for less price.Special Features:
- Tuna galoreTacoamoDined on 11/2/2014The food is insanely good especially the gara of tuna dish if you like tuna 9 different ways it's a must also if your a sushi lover how come you haven't been yet?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST SUSHI EVER!ChchVIPDined on 10/24/2014The best sushi my boyfriend and I have ever had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin prices, fast food servicemuffinmadnessDined on 10/22/2014The omakase was disappointing and the service was slow and not attentive. We sat for a long time without anyone taking our drink order, and weren't given food menus for a long time either. We had to flag our server down for everything. At one point, the table behind us was roaming the restaurant to find chopsticks and popping their head in the sushi window for soy sauce. Come on. For as slow as our meal was to start, we were rushed through every course. We were there at 9pm on a weeknight, the place wasn't that busy. The omakase was ok. We had a piece of salmon sushi with a tomato on top- the tomato was larger than the fish itself. Only a few pieces were worthy of the price and reputation. Ruined my birthday dinner and waste of $300.
- Great experienceCatsVIPDined on 10/17/2014We chose to have the Omakase and it was absolutely fabulous! It was a delicacy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!dinenyc82Dined on 10/15/2014I took two of my friends' here for their birthdays and we had an amazing omakase experience! The food was divine and the service was amazing. They even brought out dessert with 2 candles in it and the whole restaurant sang happy birthday! Great restaurant for a special occasion!Special Features:
- not good enoughloveliuliuDined on 10/12/2014I don't know why this restaurant could win a Michelin Star. Its service and atmosphere are poor. Food is not outstanding at all.
- Review of Sushi GariJenBitesDined on 10/10/2014Not known for it's ambiance or space, then again that is part of this small sushi joint's charm. The best sushi in NYC. Gari's Upper East Side location I think is the best of his three others in Manhattan. It's the original, and I continue to come back, though not as often as I would like, a I have small children. You will consistently have great sushi here.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in New York.moresushipleaseDined on 10/6/2014Sushi of Gari is consistently the most amazing quality, freshest, and most unbelievably delicious sushi. Every time I've gone to either the UES or the 46th street location, service has been prompt, friendly, and polite. The ambience in both locations is lovely- very simple but very comfortable and elegant. And the food... Where to begin? If you don't like sushi you will probably still find something delicious here, I've been here with people who ordered the tempura udon and absolutely loved it. But the sushi is the real star. I always order the sushi special, and while it is an expensive treat, my God is it worth it. Each piece is so fresh and seasoned so beautifully, it just amazes me every time. Love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delahoyazamoraDined on 10/5/2014Every peice of "Omakase" menu is wonderful. Especially, "Shabushabu of Snow crab" is marvelous (=not "too much coocked" but also "not raw", which makes it literally `soft and delicate".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi of Gari gariboozybrunchersDined on 9/28/2014Omakase is great. Very reasonable pricing for great sushi. Will try takeout next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent! Excellent!Gau1Dined on 9/22/2014Incredibly fresh, excellent sashimi and sushi. Delightful choices and combinations.... Our sake choice was great. I would like a few more mid-priced options....Special Features:
- AAB6VIPDined on 9/2/2014Its nit bad at all yet It's has lost it's edge. Prices vs quality r no longer there .
- InoprudeDined on 8/29/2014outstanding food, spacially sashimi, price/quality very goodSpecial Features:
- A Favourite neighbourhood gemdvyyDined on 8/28/2014Omakase as usual was very good, and there were some very very good new pieces. However, we did not get the usual small starters and wonder if it was a cost factor or they just decided NOT to give it anymore? It was very busy and service was a little short, but overall staff looked after us well.Special Features:
- Time to move onfoodfansforevaDined on 8/28/2014We are long time customers. The service was great but our first course of omakase tasted like it was left in the refrigerator overnight. It pains me to write this but, what used to be a favorite, is no longer worth the money. If you must, just order favorite pieces (tomato salmon, tuna with tofu, etc) vs omakase. Less expensive and you'll still feel the love.Special Features:
- Great food!lcklmslmDined on 8/23/2014Top-notch fusion sushi; interesting sushi creations with unique tastes, due to the unique garnishes and sauces used.Special Features:
- Overpricedbt181VIPDined on 8/23/2014Given the number of high quality sushi restaurants in NYC sushi of gari just cant keep up. The food is fresh and some pieces were original but the portions are small for the price. The sake options are insanely expensive. Sushi chefs are not friendly at all. Will not be back.
- Best dinner evertheLJCDined on 8/22/2014Went to Sushi of Gari for my birthday dinner and it was probably the best meal I've ever had in New York. Omakase is pricy but worth it - you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Not up to it's usual standards.FlizzDined on 8/14/2014First we ordered negimaki, which we've had before and this time is was cooked till it was crispy. We then had the Special Sushi platter and it just was'y up to it's usual delicious standard. I noticed that the AC was pretty high and as the sushi cooled, it lost it's succulence and the rice became less flavorful. Perhaps it was the AC or perhaps the chef is on vacation, but something just wasn't right. I noticed another patron quietly yelling at the manager about how nothing was good and he offered to give her a free dessert. She said "everything you brought to my table was no good and now you want to bring me more?" In all fairness this is the first 'less than stellar' meal we've had here and will return to see if it was an anomaly.
- Great stuff!njeater987VIPDined on 8/12/2014A little distracted staff but the food is always top notch.Special Features:
- Please don't rush meOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014We arrived on time and the wait staff was consistently rushing us to order, to clear the table, and to pay the bill. The restaurant wasn't so crowded and they needed the table for anybody else. This is inappropriate service, especially for a nice Japanese restaurant.Special Features:
- Best sushi in townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Best sushi I've ever had. Each piece is so special and delicious and so much care is put into preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing like Yasuda or MomoyatheirfanVIPDined on 8/1/2014I probably shouldnt have used the title I just used, as if it is not hard enough to get a table at yasuda. For the pricepoint this is less than mediocre.. Service was attentive, I'd give them that, and that only
- The following 544 reviews are from the Sushi of Gari - Upper East Side reviews archive.
- Excellent sushiJoujDined on 7/27/2014I love this place. Fish is so fresh it melts in your mouth! People are very nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014simplistic yet true to culture ambiance. Best sushi I have had so far.Special Features:
- Quality sushi!ThaBBDined on 7/25/2014Small place with few tables and a counter. Very gentle and efficient team. And the sushi degustation worth it. Different flavors, fresh food and an awesome fois gras sushi. I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good sushipakruthVIPDined on 7/18/2014Sushi was very good. Have had omakase past few times, this time ordered sushi special. Was not disappointed , sushi fresh and delicious. Pieces were smaller than with omakase and less spectacular but definitely better than any other local sushi place. Even with a reservation was seated at a tiny circular table top by the corner window that did not have enough room for all 3 menus to be open simultaneously on the tableSpecial Features:
- Changed my lifenomnom88Dined on 7/16/2014Gari is the absolute best, since I moved Into the neighborhood I've been going to Gari almost once a week. A few months ago we were determined to try the Omakase menu even though we never enjoyed nigiri sushi before. EVERY single peice was phenomenal and I will never order a regular sushi roll again! (Except their spicy scallop cut up roll which is out of this world!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LDeanVIPDined on 7/11/2014Omakase is a must here - food was perfection! Even if you think you know what you like, leave it to the chefs here to introduce to new and amazing sushi/sashimiSpecial Features:
- Best sushi everSsakagiDined on 6/19/2014Delicious ! I didn't expect I can eat real sushi in America .... After I had dinner there I see why they have one star ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven experienceAgileDinerDined on 6/14/2014Appetizers and sushi were excellent. Cooked main course dishes were surprisingly poor and disappointing.Special Features:
- deliciouswineandfoodieDined on 6/13/2014Many people were recommending certain items from here and most were awesome. I highly recommend the spicy tempura shrimp roll, the half fatty tuna (so soft you don't have to bite it), and definetly the tuna tartare with crispy seaweed. Just ask your server and he/she will know what to recommend. It was all so fresh, elegant, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatOpenTruthDined on 6/10/2014There is no denying the superior quality of the fish. The size of the cuts, relative to the price paid for same is, in my mind, irreconcilable. If you have money to burn and enjoy very small pieces of very good fish, then this is the place for you. To me it just feels stingy.
- i love gariUESiderVIPDined on 6/7/2014delicious as always, some of the best sushi in the city. it's not yasuda...but its pretty damn good
- ROBBEDfoodloverVIPDined on 5/31/2014THIS USED TO BE BY FAR FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN NYC! WE'VE ALWAYS ORDERED THE OMAKASE, AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN 1 MICHELIN STAR WORTHY!! THIS LAS TIME, THEY TOOK FOREVER TO ASK US FOT THE DRINKS, TO TAKE THE ORDER AND TOOK LIKE 20 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH PLATE….BY THE END WHEN THE WAITER ASKED US IF WE WANTED SOMETHING EXTRA, I COULDNT BELIEVE IT! THEY ONLY SERVED US WITH 3 PIECES AND NO APPETIZER AND THIS TIME THE PRICE WAS EVEN MORE EXPESVE WHICH MADE IT COMPLETELY RIDUCULOUS TO HAVE PAYED 1,000 DOLARES FOR 3 PIECES OF OK SUSHI WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE! DEFINETLY NOT WORTH IT! THEY SHOULF BE STRIPPED OFF THEIR STAR….SO SAD!!!! BUT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY ROBBED BY THESE PEOPLE!