Sushi of Gari- Upper East Side
402 East 78th Street
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari- Upper East Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: 2125175340x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masatoshi "Gari" Sugio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do offer catering services for various settings. Please kindly inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for more detail.
A word from Sushi of Gari- Upper East Side
Welcome to Sushi of Gari! This restaurant is the original restaurant specializing in the wonderful taste of Gari Signature Sushi by Masatoshi GARI Sugio. This restaurant is rather a small establishment, but we offer an amazing Sushi as well as many traditional Japanese dishes. In addition to many very fresh authentic Japanese Sushi, let us surprise you by Gari's originality: some area slightly cooked, or marinated, and served with a variety of home-made sauces or other delicacies which enhance the daily marketfs freshest seafood, many of which are from Japan especially for Sushi of Gari.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sushi of Gari- Upper East Side reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (21)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- InoprudeDined on 8/29/2014outstanding food, spacially sashimi, price/quality very goodSpecial Features:
- A Favourite neighbourhood gemdvyyDined on 8/28/2014Omakase as usual was very good, and there were some very very good new pieces. However, we did not get the usual small starters and wonder if it was a cost factor or they just decided NOT to give it anymore? It was very busy and service was a little short, but overall staff looked after us well.Special Features:
- Time to move onfoodfansforevaDined on 8/28/2014We are long time customers. The service was great but our first course of omakase tasted like it was left in the refrigerator overnight. It pains me to write this but, what used to be a favorite, is no longer worth the money. If you must, just order favorite pieces (tomato salmon, tuna with tofu, etc) vs omakase. Less expensive and you'll still feel the love.Special Features:
- Great food!lcklmslmDined on 8/23/2014Top-notch fusion sushi; interesting sushi creations with unique tastes, due to the unique garnishes and sauces used.Special Features:
- Overpricedbt181VIPDined on 8/23/2014Given the number of high quality sushi restaurants in NYC sushi of gari just cant keep up. The food is fresh and some pieces were original but the portions are small for the price. The sake options are insanely expensive. Sushi chefs are not friendly at all. Will not be back.
- Not up to it's usual standards.FlizzDined on 8/14/2014First we ordered negimaki, which we've had before and this time is was cooked till it was crispy. We then had the Special Sushi platter and it just was'y up to it's usual delicious standard. I noticed that the AC was pretty high and as the sushi cooled, it lost it's succulence and the rice became less flavorful. Perhaps it was the AC or perhaps the chef is on vacation, but something just wasn't right. I noticed another patron quietly yelling at the manager about how nothing was good and he offered to give her a free dessert. She said "everything you brought to my table was no good and now you want to bring me more?" In all fairness this is the first 'less than stellar' meal we've had here and will return to see if it was an anomaly.
- Great stuff!njeater987VIPDined on 8/12/2014A little distracted staff but the food is always top notch.Special Features:
- Please don't rush meOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014We arrived on time and the wait staff was consistently rushing us to order, to clear the table, and to pay the bill. The restaurant wasn't so crowded and they needed the table for anybody else. This is inappropriate service, especially for a nice Japanese restaurant.Special Features:
- Best sushi in townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Best sushi I've ever had. Each piece is so special and delicious and so much care is put into preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing like Yasuda or MomoyatheirfanVIPDined on 8/1/2014I probably shouldnt have used the title I just used, as if it is not hard enough to get a table at yasuda. For the pricepoint this is less than mediocre.. Service was attentive, I'd give them that, and that only
- Excellent sushiJoujDined on 7/27/2014I love this place. Fish is so fresh it melts in your mouth! People are very nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality sushi!ThaBBDined on 7/25/2014Small place with few tables and a counter. Very gentle and efficient team. And the sushi degustation worth it. Different flavors, fresh food and an awesome fois gras sushi. I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good sushipakruthVIPDined on 7/18/2014Sushi was very good. Have had omakase past few times, this time ordered sushi special. Was not disappointed , sushi fresh and delicious. Pieces were smaller than with omakase and less spectacular but definitely better than any other local sushi place. Even with a reservation was seated at a tiny circular table top by the corner window that did not have enough room for all 3 menus to be open simultaneously on the tableSpecial Features:
- Changed my lifenomnom88Dined on 7/16/2014Gari is the absolute best, since I moved Into the neighborhood I've been going to Gari almost once a week. A few months ago we were determined to try the Omakase menu even though we never enjoyed nigiri sushi before. EVERY single peice was phenomenal and I will never order a regular sushi roll again! (Except their spicy scallop cut up roll which is out of this world!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LDeanVIPDined on 7/11/2014Omakase is a must here - food was perfection! Even if you think you know what you like, leave it to the chefs here to introduce to new and amazing sushi/sashimiSpecial Features:
- Best sushi everSsakagiDined on 6/19/2014Delicious ! I didn't expect I can eat real sushi in America .... After I had dinner there I see why they have one star ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven experienceAgileDinerDined on 6/14/2014Appetizers and sushi were excellent. Cooked main course dishes were surprisingly poor and disappointing.Special Features:
- deliciouswineandfoodieDined on 6/13/2014Many people were recommending certain items from here and most were awesome. I highly recommend the spicy tempura shrimp roll, the half fatty tuna (so soft you don't have to bite it), and definetly the tuna tartare with crispy seaweed. Just ask your server and he/she will know what to recommend. It was all so fresh, elegant, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatOpenTruthDined on 6/10/2014There is no denying the superior quality of the fish. The size of the cuts, relative to the price paid for same is, in my mind, irreconcilable. If you have money to burn and enjoy very small pieces of very good fish, then this is the place for you. To me it just feels stingy.
- i love gariUESiderVIPDined on 6/7/2014delicious as always, some of the best sushi in the city. it's not yasuda...but its pretty damn good
- ROBBEDfoodloverVIPDined on 5/31/2014THIS USED TO BE BY FAR FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN NYC! WE'VE ALWAYS ORDERED THE OMAKASE, AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN 1 MICHELIN STAR WORTHY!! THIS LAS TIME, THEY TOOK FOREVER TO ASK US FOT THE DRINKS, TO TAKE THE ORDER AND TOOK LIKE 20 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH PLATE….BY THE END WHEN THE WAITER ASKED US IF WE WANTED SOMETHING EXTRA, I COULDNT BELIEVE IT! THEY ONLY SERVED US WITH 3 PIECES AND NO APPETIZER AND THIS TIME THE PRICE WAS EVEN MORE EXPESVE WHICH MADE IT COMPLETELY RIDUCULOUS TO HAVE PAYED 1,000 DOLARES FOR 3 PIECES OF OK SUSHI WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE! DEFINETLY NOT WORTH IT! THEY SHOULF BE STRIPPED OFF THEIR STAR….SO SAD!!!! BUT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY ROBBED BY THESE PEOPLE!
- really nice sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/25/2014This small restaurant offers really good service which by far is better than is cramped ambiance. Nonetheless, I would go back for the food which was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced Japanese foodfinedine212Dined on 5/12/2014Food is ok, but it's way overpriced. The whole experience lasted less than 40 mins and I was expecting a fine-dining experience. Ambience is not great at all and it feels like going to a fast food restaurant. The sashimi food has way too much sauce on it that ruins the experience of eating great quality sashimi I am sure there are a lot of better options out there for that price point.
- FoodiefamilyVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a very enjoyable meal here. The four of us shared some appetizers (the portions were rather small but tasty) and three sushi sets (generously portioned, with 8 nigiri pieces plus one roll). The Gari's special all tuna sushi course is always our favorite. One would think having all tuna sounds uninteresting, but the nigiri pieces ("Gari style" with various toppings and sauces already on the fish) are all different in fun ways. I think the only one that I didn't care for was the tuna with fried onions on top. We were very happy with our meal. To top it off, the restaurant had somehow remembered that we had celebrated my daughter's birthday here exactly one year ago and surprised her with dessert. I was impressed with this extra touch.Special Features:
- great Food and serviceInoprudeDined on 5/8/2014Great place to do Japanesse food, avoid to ask for soy sauce...Special Features:
- Innovative and deliciouswhishgirlDined on 5/6/2014Sushi of Gari (UES) is my favorite sushi restaurant in NYC. I've had the chef's tasting every time I've been there and it never disappoints. The fluke with quail egg is my absolute favorite. The intricate flavors in each piece of sushi prove time and forethought are put into every bite. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves sushi and is looking for something outside of what one finds in normal, every day sushi restaurants.Special Features:
- The following 527 reviews are from the Sushi of Gari- Upper East Side reviews archive.
- We missed the sushi barMustangCHKDined on 4/26/2014Everytime my husband and I are in NYC, we have our date night at Sushi of Gari. When I made this reservation it was my birthday treat for my husband and I specified that I wanted the sushi bar. When we got there they said that there was not space so we were quite disappointed. The food was delicious but there were several items that were better served at the sushi bar (like the salmon with hot tomato). When it reached us the tomato was cold and it no longer had the same taste as if served at the bar. The sashimi (first time to try this) was delicious. All is all it was good but not our best meal here. Travelling 24 hours to eat here and not getting the sushi table is a bit sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Constant FavouritedvyyDined on 4/25/2014Best Omakase!! So glad to have it in the neighborhood within walking distance. Omakase always a treat and never fails to please.Special Features:
- OverpricedGGOTVIPDined on 4/25/2014The omakase is good but it very overpriced. We spent $400 for two plus a bottle of sake and two desserts. The interior of the restaurant lacks character - it is dumpy and depressing. Service is very good but beware of upselling.
- Still the best sushi around...justokaug2014Dined on 4/22/2014Have tried Gari's other locations - the best is still Upper East Side! Tuna with tofu sauce - my husband can't get enough of it. Great presentation, responsive & helpful chefs! Thanks for another memorable meal!
- cant get any betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014You sit, you ask for Omakaze, and you get one delight after another... really it cant get any better, food is perfect.
- Excellent ExperienceCCCCDined on 4/16/2014Everything about this place is amazing. Food, service and quality. Well worth the cost if you love sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh my gosh, omakase.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2014The omakase at Sushi of Gari UES is a phenomenal exploration for the palate. I highly recommend letting the chef provide his choices for you. No wasabi nor soy sauce needed: perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastingroscaDined on 4/11/2014Very good for tasting none common sushi. Highly recommended the Chef SelectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is perfect but the serviceMiczkeyDined on 4/8/2014Food is perfect but the service is lousy as usual.Special Features:
- OmakaseSaikosolDined on 4/6/2014For those who are looking for a unique sushi dining experience I recommend this place. Sushi of Gari not only has great sushi selections but takes it up a notch with a culinary twist on flavor and texture combinations. Great for sushi lovers and foodies alike.Special Features:
- excellent quality sashimiESL515Dined on 4/5/2014Their sashimi, my favorite, was superb. The fish was so fresh, it melted in our mouths. The Upper East Side location is a bit tiny and crowded, but next time I'll try the sushi bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The omakase menu fell shortOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014The omakase menu fell short of the standard established by other sushi heavyweights in the city. While select pieces were enjoyable, most lacked refinement and were excessively heavy in both rice and fish.
- Poorly Executed OmakaseBruceDined on 3/29/2014I returned to Gari this past weekend (March 29) anticipating a wonderful Omakase for three. Somehow, the sushi chefs forgot how to prepare the rice properly (cold, densely packed and little, if any, taste). The composition was not at all creative - salmon with baked tomato? Really? Vastly unimpressive - especially at $175 per person! Other pieces presented had good texture, however, none had the same impact previously experienced. Gari appears to be resting on its laurels. Further, the Sushi of Gari chefs seems to turn out pieces using a script rather than providing the best dining experience possible using only the freshest fish - as one would expect when ordering Omakase. Yasuda wouldn't serve sushi like this! Tip - stay with the sashimi.Special Features:
- Great, authentic JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014At first we felt the service was lacking, perhaps because we did not get the omakase. But another server picked up slack and she was fantastic. We ordered shumai, a special seaweed salad and a few pieces of eel. All of that was great, and then we shared five rolls. My girlfriend is more used to the Americanized version of sushi, and we got two eel avocado, a fatty tuna and scallion, spicy scallop and spicy shrimp tempura. All of the rolls were the perfect temperature and very fresh, especially the tuna. With the above, sharing a bottle of white wine and tip, it was 170, but well worth it as this place is clearly on a different level from your typical NYC sushi place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.