Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
370 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: 2123624816
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00PM - 2:15PM; Saturday - Sunday:12:00PM - 4:00PM Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 10:45pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:15pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: MASATO OYAMA
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties over 4 people, please call the restaurant directly to make the reservation.
A word from Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
Transcendent sushi meets its equal with creative appetizers and entrees at Gari, the 64-seat Upper West Side outpost of Gari's (Masatoshi Sugio) popular Upper East Side restaurant. Gari also features a creative menu of cooked fare from Executive Chef/Partner Mike Lim. Tony Chi of tonychi and associates has created an environment where Gari and his team can craft their cuisine in pure, harmonized comfort - a virtual sushi studio - and every seat in the house allows guests to observe the chefs/artists at work.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- simply the bestsushiloverVIPDined on 5/9/2014always consistent-best sushi in town-great ,courtious service- friendly environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative sushijaillissantVIPDined on 5/7/2014This was my second time of dining at Gari @ Columbus, and it was, again, a very satisfying experience. The sushi was presented in an ambitious and imaginative way, and it tasted absolutely gorgeous. The noise level was at first a bit high, as the place was packed, but it calmed down later as my friend and I finished our dinner, enjoying every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- every timefilmfanVIPDined on 4/30/2014this great sushi place.. on any list of the city's best - works EVERY time.Special Features:
- Not great.mytwocentsDined on 4/30/2014Considering the prices and the strict reservation policy here, I would have expected a more elegant setting. The ambiance of this restaurant did not feel any different than that of much less expensive sushi restaurants - formica-style uncovered tables, wooden chopsticks, bright lighting, etc. The food was average. The service was extremely pleasant and attentive, but to the point of feeling rushed - no sooner did we finish chewing the last bite of a particular dish than the wait staff was approaching to ask us what we wanted next. I would not return to this restaurant.
- Hustled?WonderfulWinoVIPDined on 4/27/2014Lunch on a Sunday. Trying to avoid the "brunch" scene with Eggs Benedict, etc. So, we make a reservation at Sushi Gari on Columbus. We walk in and want to sit at the counter. We are told that it is omakase at the counter only, clarifying that it is only sushi. OK. Then the server starts a litany of what we can and can't order and adds that around 8 pairs of sushi will cost around $140 per person, all before offering us a menu. We excuse ourselves from the counter and move to a table. We start ordering a la carte. Oops, sorry, you have the dinner menu, here's the lunch menu. And the lunch menu does not have a lot of the special things on the dinner menu... So, a mundane set of dishes. Too bad Sushi Sasabune is not open on Sundays...
- Food is not what it used tokmmdDined on 4/14/2014Food is not what it used to be. And it is VERY expensive.
- simply the bestsushiloverVIPDined on 4/4/2014the best most consistent sushi in NYC- the service is excellent-and the people friendlySpecial Features:
- Gari the GreatDocOGVIPDined on 3/29/2014Omakase for lunch was profoundly amazing... insulted the sushi chef when I asked for a little soy sauce. The soy sauce was an insurance policy but absolutely not necessary because every piece of sushi was truly gastronomical perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply the bestsushiloverVIPDined on 3/28/2014nothing more to sa-the best and totally consistentSpecial Features:
- WowSamTDined on 3/28/2014I'm going to keep this brief because there isn't much to say except that each piece of fish I ate was so amazingly flavorful and distinct. Eating mediocre sushi makes me forget how different each species of fish is supposed to taste. It also reminded me that you really have to pay for great sushi.Special Features:
- Delicious fresh sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/21/2014Always wonderful sushi but you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most amazing Sushi on UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/16/2014This was a most amazing experience! We were there to celebrate a special occasion and it was spectacular. The service was phenomenal! The food was out of this world! I can't say enough good things! This place is a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always the bestsushiloverVIPDined on 2/28/2014melts in your mouth- every bite really second to none!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful PresentationAngie211Dined on 2/25/2014I would have loved dimmer lighting at nght time.. Our Waitress was extradronarily fabulous! She knew everything about the menu - she forgot our Edaname - but - it was not biggy. Her reccomendations for us were right on! Thanks - we will be back..Special Features:
- As Fresh as AnywherePlateau1001Dined on 2/15/2014As far as the food is concerned, it was excellent. I have been to numerous upscale Japanese restaurants (i.e. Nobu, Morrimoto, Bond St., Buddha Bar, etc.) and the Omakase presented an incredibly fresh and vibrant selection. The rice was perfect as well. I was impressed. The atmosphere was nothing special. I quickly realized that I was overdressed on a saturday night, when I was wearing trousers and a button down with a cardigan over it. The atmosphere isn't as sceney or entertaining as Bond St., but it was sufficient to enjoy the food. The service was also great. The waitress and staff were efficient and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Expensive but worth it for a special occasion. Sushi is fresh and delicious. Go for the omakase!Special Features:
- ValentineshappycoupleVIPDined on 2/14/2014We celebrated Valentines day here. They were busy and the service was strained for that reason. My only complaint was that our waiter didn't really speak English very wellI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic OmakaseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2014Fresh sushi and sashimi prepared with creativity and wonderful fresh ingredients. Some raw, some cooked. All delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tuna sushi in townOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2014This is our favorite place to celebrate -- not exactly cheap, but the Tuna of Gari is worth every penny.Special Features:
- Excellent sashimi & sushiTheatremanDined on 2/11/2014Excellent sashimi & sushi especially for the neighborhood. Not cheap but wort itSpecial Features:
- Superb Japanese food withmamaDined on 2/2/2014Superb Japanese food with a contemporary twist.No soy sauce is needed with the sushi since each piece of sushi has its own sauce. Can't recommend it highly enough for the sushi gourmand who wants something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014Good food but the service is not good regard the pricesSpecial Features:
- Great Sushi............serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2014Great food and service, bit pricey but food is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic.1234abc1234VIPDined on 1/7/2014Not being the most observant of people at times I have walked by this restaurant for six years since coming to NYC and thought nothing of it - just another sushi place. I was so wrong and friend suggested we eat there and now I don't want to eat sushi anywhere else. It was phenomenal. We ate the "omakase" or a la carte menu and while much pricier than my bank would have liked, I thought it was worth it because of the variety, and most importantly the freshness. I had no idea sushi could taste like this. No two pieces were the same, and every new piece of sushi accompanied with a "that's amazing"'esque comment from us. They are brought in groups of four to the table and the last piece...well when was the last time you ate foie gras sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's sushi of garifilmfanVIPDined on 1/2/2014always very high level of sushi! Top tier NYC / perhaps in the US.Special Features:
- Sushi creative and spectacular.Pumpkin83Dined on 1/2/2014Sushi creative and spectacular. Every piece has it's own taste. Go often and experiment. We were there on freezing friday and seats near the door were unprotected from cold. Sit at the back or wait till spring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushiStevoVIPDined on 12/29/2013Amazing sushi - we had the tasting menu which was fantastic but v expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady...but not perfectJapaneseDined on 12/27/2013West Side Gari has totally different vibe than east side Gari... could be in Japan in the crammed east side joint. West side had less authentic feel - and no japanese servers or hostesses. Fish was fresh and tasty. First time not getting Gari omakase and was still quite tasty albeit not particularly interesing...saved a bundle too. Our server "forgot" a part of our order - and apologized. Overall ok, but not stellar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is good but priceyJulrorDined on 12/25/2013For tie price, you can have a lot better, like Blue Ribbon at Sullivan!!Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Absolute great table,excellent food, one of my greatest experience of food, if not the greatest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2013Had dinner here before going to Lincoln Center. The sashimi and sushi were very delicious and the service was good. It's a brightly lit restaurant, and not romanti, but the food was great and a light meal such as we had, just prior to the Opera was perfect. was perfect.Special Features:
- each mouthful is such a pleasurablesushiloverVIPDined on 12/20/2013each mouthful is such a pleasurable experience-its a friday ritual for us-suggest tuna of gariSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!MindyDined on 12/14/2013Wonderful food, so fresh I even at things I typically avoid and was not dissappointed. Ordered the chef's tasting or omakase and it was worth it. I was a little overwhelmed with the process at first being our first time leaving it to the chef but just wow! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placefoodievickieVIPDined on 12/13/2013The omakase (sp?) is superb. Every piece of sushi was so special. Each one had a different flavoring or topping. Expensive!Special Features:
- Good food, nothing elseUWSDavidDined on 12/10/2013The sushi was - like most things in New York - of high quality and overpriced,. The service was particularly poor this evening. It look 5 minutes just to get menus (and the place wasn't even completed filled). We never got a dessert we ordered (though not on bill) so we just left.
- Overpriced sushi that wasDevranVIPDined on 11/15/2013Overpriced sushi that was not good quality. Wouldn't recommend at all.
- The Chief specialities are the bestRhodany2Dined on 11/13/2013Whatever you do go with the specialties of the restaurant. You won't be sorry. This is the go to Sushi spot on the UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodWolfVIPDined on 11/11/2013Great food. Really enjoyed lunch saki and sashimi. Best I have had worth your while to leisurely dineSpecial Features:
- Always outstandingSwimmerVIPDined on 11/10/2013Not only my favorite, but my guests from Europe and Boston, Washington State, love the Omakase.Special Features:
- overpricedsushiamoreDined on 11/8/2013Have tried this place 3 times because of the location and each time have been disappointed by the quality of an OK meal at a gourmet price. This time was the last time.