Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
370 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SushiPrice: $50 and over
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sushiofgari.com/
- Phone: 2123624816
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00PM - 2:15PM; Saturday - Sunday:12:00PM - 4:00PM Dinner: Monday - Friday 5:00pm - 10:45pm Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: TAKATSUGU KISHIKAWA
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For parties over 4 people, please call the restaurant directly to make the reservation.
A word from Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue
Transcendent sushi meets its equal with creative appetizers and entrees at Gari, the 64-seat Upper West Side outpost of Gari's (Masatoshi Sugio) popular Upper East Side restaurant. Tony Chi of tonychi and associates has created an environment where Gari and his team can craft their cuisine in pure, harmonized comfort - a virtual sushi studio - and every seat in the house allows guests to observe the chefs/artists at work.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (24)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Unjapanese, unwelcoming placefairfoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Felt like they were pushing us out in 30 minutes. Staff was grabbing our plates before we finished - the worst experience in any of Japanese restaurants - awful. It's a money, turning table machine. Nothing human. Service is nonexistent. Food was mediocre too - if not having the chef selection - there is absolutely no point of going there. Sushi combination come absolutely with no presentation. They are so CHEAP - we were embarrassed for them!!!! Never go - there are so many better Japanese places.
- Excellent food....RJBJRDined on 10/7/2014One of the best sushi restaurants in Manhattan....Special Features:
- way way over price for what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014a big big disappointment. the sushi was not that fresh, and for 400.00 for three people , i was expecting the best.
- The best sushi EVER!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/23/2014Let the chef decide what you eat, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Over the top sushiRaulVIPDined on 9/20/2014One of the best sashimi and sushi in New York. Order the Omakase and sit in the sushi bar. Could turn to be very expensive but still 1/3 of MassaSpecial Features:
- Great food, but..SwedishChefDined on 9/15/2014The tempura did not match my expectations and the atmosphere was a bit too much "local diner". But the quality of the sushi was amazing!!Special Features:
- Fresh Delicious SushiPatBDined on 9/15/2014A la carte menu was extensive, but expensive! High quality sushi grade fish. Nicely prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi quality at it's bestBjkbjkVIPDined on 9/11/2014There are many places in nyc that provide great sushi, but Gari's is definitely top of the line. The restaurant is not fancy but the quality of the food is consistently outstanding. The prices are high, but you leave feeling you get what you paid forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nowhere near worth the priceRhodeeDined on 9/11/2014Extremely disappointed with this experience. After reading mostly good reviews, we tried it and came away hungry, disappointed with the food/price ratio, but most importantly we felt rushed by the wait staff (the entire dinner was under an hour). Maybe they were told by management to move diners out quickly? And I won't be giving this place a second chance.
- Our favoriteSwimmerVIPDined on 9/11/2014There are sushi restaurants and there are sushi restaurants. Gari which is the Japanese word for the pickled ginger that goes with sushi, is our favorite, and I've eaten at 2 other highly rated ones in Zagat. Because this is an attraction for young--and it's a Japanese restaurant that is not owned by other nationalities, one also sees Japanese people. Whether one sits at a table or at the sushi counter, one gets oshibori (moist hot cloth to clean one's hands before eating). The sake listing of cold sake is excellent. The melt in your mouth sushi is divine. It requires no soy sauce or wasabi. I prefer lunch when it's less bustling, or even take-in, as I live close enough to have delivery! Happy when I can treat a friend & myself tooSpecial Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014The salmon-related sushis are just one of the best. The tuna was ok. The seaweed salad was really nice but the other kinds of salad was just soso. The creative nigiris are definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiSusieQDined on 9/10/2014My friends and I had the sushi and sashimi specials. Fish was fresh and delicious. Presentation was gorgeous (we had to take photos). I would go back and bring out of town visitors again.Special Features:
- GariDMCTVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food was good but the sushi was quite expensive. Be prepared to spend a lot of money.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in the neighborhoodYummyfoodDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I always come here to get out chef tasting fix. We sit at the same section at the bar and by this time our sushi chef knows us. We are big foodies so ah-ing and oooou-ing with our eyes and ummm-ing after we've tasted his creation is what we look forward to at Gari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh!MomdineVIPDined on 8/22/2014You never have to worry. Food is always fresh. The food comes out quickly which my kids love. The only negative is the UWS location is cramped. So it is not a place for slow dinner. Its an in and out.... But very worth it place to eat!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itRealDined on 8/16/2014Omakase was average compared to other great sushi restaurants in nyc. Service was subpar. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. What a waste. Seriously.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/16/2014First of all, must say a la carte menus are overpriced. Good to stick with set or course menus. Enjoyed Kama toro and seared scallop of sushi deluxe. Tempra of young ayu (sweet fish) was oily, but tasty. Hamachi with jalapeño sounds famous though it was so so. Yes, tomato tempra over salmon sushi was quite interesting. Service was good. It was too cold to dine inside due to blowing wind from air conditioner. Michelin guide is always too generous to Japanese restaurants.
- Very pricy for ordinary sushi.DaizDined on 8/15/2014I would not recommend. Clearly over rated. I was disappointed.
- not a good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014the sauces didn't really complement the fish all of the time. Four people omakase with two bottles of sake (easy to do). $1,000 and I left hungry.
- My favorite SushiyaSwimmerVIPDined on 8/11/2014Lunch is my favorite time because it's not as crowded or loud as in the evening. The quality of the sushi is outstandingly delicious aand comparable to the 29 rating in Zagat that their most recent rating for Sasabune. Checking with an astute friend who has been to both, we are definitely fans of Sushi of Gari's Omakase. Recently I ate with 3 other friends who were unfamiliar with this fine cuisine and had the Gari Chef Delux Sushi of nigiri sushi and a role for less than half the price of Omakase that was superb, and quite satisfying. We also enjoyoed edamame, spinach goma-ae and kombucha tempura. In writing this review, it's making my mouth water just thinking back about how much I have enjoyed always eating here. And they deliver!Special Features:
- always the bestsushiloverVIPDined on 8/5/2014consistent-great sushi -- always meets expectations- great neighborhood regular spotSpecial Features:
- Good foodjadednewyorkerDined on 8/2/2014We met our friends for dinner at Gari with the expectation to enjoy the food and catch up. The food was great. The fish was fresh and well prepared. Unfortunately, the expectation is that once you are done eating you have to leave. When we finished eating,the check was brought promptly and shortly after, we were asked to move our conversation to another area of a restaurant because our table was combined with another to accomodate the large group. Be prepared to take any conversations elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsUWSNativeVIPDined on 8/2/2014Simply the most inventive sushi around... get the omakase and enjoySpecial Features:
- Great sushiSteveGDined on 8/2/2014As usual, Gari does not disappoint. However, when dining at a restaurant that provides such an outstanding sushi experience, it is insulting that they charge extra for a little more salad dressing.Special Features:
- OTD1VIPDined on 7/31/2014More expensive than other Japanese restaurants in neighborhood, but worth it. Quality and service are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always superbdisappointingVIPDined on 7/29/2014Been going to Gari on the upper east side for years...just starting going to this one on the west side. both are excellent; always. the west side restaurant is bigger and a bit nicer but I'll go to either any time. was there 3days in a row and I can continue going.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014This wasn't my first visit to Gari and it won't be my last. I went with the omakase and each piece was excellent.Special Features:
- Really good sushi - but priced highstockstar66VIPDined on 7/24/2014I have been to the location on Upper West Side a couple of times and I enjoy the novelties of what they do - but I have to admit that it is just sushi with an interesting bit of sauce added to it - so it shouldn't cost $300 for a party of two for dinner....just saying.
- 1of the Top Sushi Rest. in the CityMSR5Dined on 7/23/2014A real Gem- The sushi is unbelievably fresh, our favorite was the salmon sushi topped with the grilled tomato and the yellowtail topped with the jalapeño pepper. The rolls were delicious, fresh, and cut into 8 edible size pieces. The service was fast and the restaurant was completely filled to capacity. The only negative is the noise level. It is hard to hear if you are more than 4 and that is still tough at times. However it would not prevent me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi heavensushiloverVIPDined on 7/22/2014simply the best-totally consistent-warm very friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi. Fish is always freshllips2091VIPDined on 7/16/2014We ordered a lot of mixed sushi and rolls. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be talking about this meal...eat2thebeatVIPDined on 7/12/2014for a long time. Every bite was excellent. The big surprise for us was the foie gras appetizer. Delicious decadence!Special Features:
- Great Great SushifoodievickieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We have eaten here many times and have the omakasi sushi. This time it seemed even better than ever. Will go back again.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialDainsVIPDined on 7/10/2014The Omakse sushi is very good with superior fish quality, but not remotely inventive. It is a fortune for a small amount of simple fish. It cost us close to $300 for 1 app , 2 drinks and 12 bites of sushi. Not at all worth it. The restaurant itself has no decor to speak of. I have been to cheap local sushi restaurants with a better ambiance
- Great neighborhood sushi placeLoveparkslopeDined on 7/10/2014Sushi was very fresh & delicious. Nice place for a quiet meal. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarktheKnifeVIPDined on 7/9/2014Gari sushi is as good as it gets on the UWS. On a recent weeknight visit the place was jumping, in contrast to the quieter weekends. A lot of suits and ties -- the word is out.Special Features:
- Not worth the hype or the moneycmg1234VIPDined on 6/27/2014Not sure why this restaurant is rated so highly. We got the omakase and were sorely disappointed by the quality of the fish as well as the whole experience. The omakase came in 3 bulk courses which, even setting aside the quality of the food (which was poor), made it feel rushed and not as special as the usual omakase experience with many courses of one or two pieces each.
- The following 425 reviews are from the Sushi of Gari- Columbus Avenue reviews archive.
- great foodmelloeserVIPDined on 6/23/2014great food creative always different, the will eliminate foods that you do not eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rip off- not worth the priceWillajaneVIPDined on 6/19/2014Although it all tasted great there was very little food and a very BIG price tag
- MaddogVIPDined on 6/18/2014Best omakase anywhere. No need for soy sauce-each piece has it's own topping. Totally overpriced and worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.